PDA

View Full Version : Pitboss removed on Steam Civ IV

Furiey
07-06-2014, 15:37
So Gamespy is dead, not that I've used it. The other day steam updated my steam version of Civ IV complete of which I only have colonisation installed. The update removed Gamespy and moved multiplayer over to steam. However this update also removed direct IP support on the steam version so steam users only have steam for multiplayer and non-steam users only have direct IP. I have both versions of the game and it's been a long time that I played multiplayer of anything but there's a thread on the 2K forum to allow people to register their views:
http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?563191-Steam-multiplayer-update-and-Civilization-IV-Pitboss

ProPain
08-06-2014, 11:58
I really don't understand this move. Why remove a feature that doenst require 2K or Valve to keep a server online and was working fine. Doesn't cost them money nor effort to keep around.

Jusr shows they don't care about their hardcore players.

akots
08-06-2014, 19:11
Well, TBH, I don't care as I have CD version and I have not played Civ4 probably for 5 or 6 years. But I still have everything on hard drive.

barbu1977
10-06-2014, 14:34
I'm guessing the Gamespy contract came to an end.

Too bad for direct IP play.

ProPain
10-06-2014, 22:46
I'm guessing the Gamespy contract came to an end.

Too bad for direct IP play.

It sure did as IGN pulled the plug on all the GameSpy servers :)

Beam
10-06-2014, 23:58
Sorry for thread jacking but is there any news about Pitboss for V?

Shabbaman
15-06-2014, 11:29
Sorry for thread jacking but is there any news about Pitboss for V?

I assume they nerfed the civ4 version just so they can say civ5 isn't missing any features. Perhaps Civ5 In Space will have Pitboss, just so you will buy it. And then it doesn't work.

Furiey
16-06-2014, 22:11
I gather that recent updates to Civ V mean that you can now host a pitboss with direct IP and play in the game on the same PC. I've not tried it and no idea how reliable it is however...