PDA

View Full Version : Soren's economy RTS

Shabbaman
05-05-2014, 10:08
Soren Johnson, of civ4 fame, is making a new game. It's RTS with a focus on resource economy. You can read a big interview with him right here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/02/soren-johnson-mars-interview/).

It does sound interesting, despite calling it RTS. And the interview has a picture of EU4, so I already like it.

Socrates
05-05-2014, 11:50
An interesting read, thanks.
I wonder why they did not talk about Railroad Tycoon as an influence. After all, that game had many resources, buildings to produce and consume these resources, a stock exchange, etc.

Shabbaman
25-02-2015, 21:32
The game is now available on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/271240), but it's Early Access. As I have enough games to play and enough games that are still Early Access, I won't touch it now. Not even with a stick. Not unless it's on discount in a Steam sale (yup, I'm a man of principles). But there's a nice preview on RPS (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/19/offworld-trading-company-early-access-review/), and it does sound interesting. Especially the words "spreadsheet balancing" piqued my interest. And krys is right, it does sound like Railroad Tycoon... and that's not a bad thing.

akots
25-02-2015, 22:51
It looks ugly though according to screenshots.

barbu1977
26-02-2015, 15:19
Early access! I agree with Shabba, I will wait for a real game. Especially at that price-tag.

ProPain
27-02-2015, 19:18
I dont mind early access per se, but I wont do early access at € 37,- Much sooner buy Darkest Dungeon then.

socralynnek
03-03-2015, 09:39
I won't do early access at that price either, although the game sounds interesting.

One of my favorite game of all time after Civ was Dynatech on Amiga.
A nice real time economy game which was even a multiplayer one (a lot of simulated AIs), when real time was not for economy games at that time...

I always waited for a real-time economy game that could be a successor and with a little more depth. Let's see...

Shabbaman
29-02-2020, 13:36
Early access! I agree with Shabba, I will wait for a real game. Especially at that price-tag.

Good news everyone! This game has dropped to a pricepoint where it'll reach optimal price/quality parity: it's free. Well, almost free, you'll have to install the Epic launcher and grab the game between March 5th and 12th.

socralynnek
01-03-2020, 01:11
Oh, I think, I paid like 20-25 euros for the game and all extensions...
but I think that was 2 years ago or so (and I think it was worth it)
For free? Doesn't sound too bad...(but I don't like installing another launcher...)

Shabbaman
02-03-2020, 21:46
(but I don't like installing another launcher...)

Nobody does, it is kind of pathetic. But Epic has free games every week. And not free for a week, but free to keep. That's the only upside of Epic though, it's lackluster otherwise. It lacks a lot of features you'd expect of a store like this.

Beorn
05-03-2020, 05:39
Epic bought Phoenix Point (an XCom-like project which was crowdfunded until then) and made a mockery of its release, pushing it forward a year too early. It's been 3-4 months now and the first DLC still feels like a beta build. Not a fan.