PDA

View Full Version : I now own Civ V - what now?

Lt. Killer M
06-12-2012, 23:37
Today, I won a game. "Any one of those over there!" I went and looked, and to my dismay found that a 10 € CIV V copy was the least unattractive. Thus, I now own Civ V.

Should I even install it?

Lt. Killer M
07-12-2012, 00:51
well, this seems to take care of itself - steam install has issues, steam activation sucks, CIV V installation doesn't work.

Lt. Killer M
07-12-2012, 00:53
installing Divx 9 for the sixth time now. How I hate it when they sell beta releases.

akots
07-12-2012, 01:05
You can try. It does not like to get installed. Also, you'd need Steam. I have not uninstalled it but have not played for a long long time.

akots
07-12-2012, 01:06
Uh, cross-posting. You are doing it right now, or so it seems.

akots
07-12-2012, 01:08
installing Divx 9 for the sixth time now. How I hate it when they sell beta releases.

It's DirectX, not Divx...

And it is not beta, it is the first version of alpha or pre-alpha. It gets better after patches though. Sometimes. Sometimes, after patches it gets worse.

Shabbaman
07-12-2012, 08:50
Are you installing from Steam or from a disc? Steam should install the patched version.

socralynnek
07-12-2012, 13:20
Bought it from steam 2 weeks ago (along with G&K expansion). Downloading and installing from there went fine.

(And so far, I think, installing is worth the time. Don't know yet how much I like it, but it looks and feels nice. Although strategy seems to be different. Maybe worse than Civ IV)

Plux
14-12-2012, 12:23
You start playing it... then you play a little more... then you start playing it again... then you start practicing.. then you continue playing.. then you play still a little more.. than yohau start hating then you don`t want to play anymore.. then you want to play again.. then we play, then you start hating again and then I beat you cause I am the Conquerer of Civ.. ha ha ha..

don`t forget to eat and drink now and then...

... als spelling mistakes are delibirete

Plux
14-12-2012, 16:52
You start playing it... then you play a little more... then you start playing it again... then you start practicing.. then you continue playing.. then you play still a little more.. than yohau start hating then you don`t want to play anymore.. then you want to play again.. then we play, then you start hating again and then I beat you cause I am the Conquerer of Civ.. ha ha ha..

don`t forget to eat and drink now and then...

... als spelling mistakes are delibirete

note: use punctuation to avoid delusional miscomprehension ;-)

BCLG100
14-12-2012, 22:12
Capitals are fun too!

Plux
15-12-2012, 06:16
Capitals are fun too!

Y.O.U. R.O.C.K.

I. R. O. C. K.

W.E. R.O.C.K.

BCLG100
15-12-2012, 18:10
[dance]

grs
30-12-2012, 15:07
You can buy the expansion for 4,50 € on http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/de/en/pc/games/strategy/sid-meiers-civilization-v-gods-and-kings/#description now btw.

BCLG100
30-12-2012, 18:25
I also now own civ5! I got it and a new laptop for christmas. I am rubbish though and don't really understand what is going on.

Shabbaman
30-12-2012, 19:38
What else is new...

Lt. Killer M
31-12-2012, 12:57
You can buy the expansion for 4,50 € on http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/de/en/pc/games/strategy/sid-meiers-civilization-v-gods-and-kings/#description now btw.

socralynnek
22-01-2013, 17:02
The first game I started felt kind of...boring and slow.

Then I read at least some strategy and detail articles (Happiness, Faith, road costs, besieging cities)

On Friday I started a second game and there it was, the "Just ... One ... More ... Turn"

It might be that this feeling will go away when you see that the AI does poor (maybe, don't know, I played only G&K) or that strategical depth might be missing, but yes, I think buying it finally was a good idea.

Lt. Killer M
24-01-2013, 21:52
My fifth game - and the only one I played for any length - was (obviously) HUGE, marathon, Earth, full number of civs and city states. The AI does so poorly, well....

Shabbaman
28-01-2013, 10:04
I've found that I like games on smaller maps better. With fewer city states to exploit the advantage over the AI is smaller. The AI just doesn't know what to to with CS. It's dumb: you add something the AI can't handle and which makes multiplayer unbalanced... so why add it in the first place? I like the mechanic in single player though, it gives me something to do.

Kingreno
28-01-2013, 10:10
CS usage depends a lot on the CIV the AI plays. Greece and Siam do very well on the CS front.

Lt. Killer M
29-01-2013, 13:36
funny thing is: I make practically no use of CSs....

Beam
29-01-2013, 14:52
It is a real pity the AI in Civ V still is so bad and the absence of Pitboss. Otherwise I would not bother of going thru the pain of logging in to Windo$e and play a good game.

Is there any news or even rumours about a Pitboss in the near future?

Shabbaman
29-01-2013, 15:14
Apparently (http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?116293-On-the-horizon-Pitboss-and-DLL-Source&p=2673206#post2673206) Firaxis still hasn't given up on getting pitboss to work. But seeing how GMR works there's no real need for pitboss anyway. You don't need to run a server for it, so in that aspect it's even better than pitboss. Not with simultaneous moves though, unfortunately.

As for Linux: the game has Steamplay, Steam pushes for Linux, so hey, who knows what might be coming up. There has to be a good reason they don't have pitboss working, and that reason has to be Linux ;)

Beam
30-01-2013, 14:14
Apparently (http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?116293-On-the-horizon-Pitboss-and-DLL-Source&p=2673206#post2673206) Firaxis still hasn't given up on getting pitboss to work. But seeing how GMR works there's no real need for pitboss anyway. You don't need to run a server for it, so in that aspect it's even better than pitboss. Not with simultaneous moves though, unfortunately.

As for Linux: the game has Steamplay, Steam pushes for Linux, so hey, who knows what might be coming up. There has to be a good reason they don't have pitboss working, and that reason has to be Linux ;)

I'd say lack of committed resources, most likely seriously hindered by a flawed design from our beloved friend Trip.

Anyway, EU IV is rumoured to become available for Linux. :) Have to wait til EoY earliest however.

Shabbaman
30-01-2013, 14:24
Crusader Kings 2 is native on Linux, I would recommend that as it's superb and very difficult. There's a free demo on Steam. If CK2 runs on Linux with Steamplay, I wouldn't be surprised if EU4 runs on Linux at launch. You'd still have to wait a while before it's released though... more time to play CK2!

Oh, and if you're reading this and your name is Stapel: Crusader Kings 2 also runs on Mac.

Beam
30-01-2013, 14:52
Looking good, it became available only very recently! http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2105066

Sorry for threadjacking lol.

Shabbaman
30-01-2013, 14:59
Threadjacking... this is CDZ!

[spam]

Also, convincing members to play CK2 justifies threadjacking. Especially if that means more interest in my CK2 AAR (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5403).

Lt. Killer M
01-02-2013, 00:04
Sorry for threadjacking lol.

No you're not. At least you better not be or we must ban you!