PDA

View Full Version : Warlock - Civ5 with Fireballs?

grahamiam
16-06-2012, 15:56
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/warlock-master-of-the-arcane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDfMFqh0RsY&feature=plcp

Has anyone checked this out yet? $20 on steam, looks exactly like Civ5 (but doesn't use the same engine), and I've read some good things about the game play, except that the end game is a bit of a slog.

I think I'll keep it on my wishlist to see if it becomes part of the Steam Summer Sale.

edit: Next patch will have multiplayer [hammer]

barbu1977
17-06-2012, 04:24
Looks indeed very mutch live civ5. Maybe a little too mutch. Does it compare in any ways?

Furiey
17-06-2012, 11:32
Looks like there's a demo to try...

ProPain
17-06-2012, 12:20
Havent played it but it being a Paradox game you can expect some hard core strategy. Please beware Paradox has a firm disbelief in manuals. I've been playing EU III on and off for few years and I think it's a really ok game but the lack of a decent manual was frustrating

Mistfit
18-06-2012, 02:13
I watched some of the play though you posted and it seems like even the guy who did the play though was surprised by some aspects which says to me there is no manual or even a civilipedia type thing.. I guess it can make it interesting but.. I might get this one as it is something that it looks like I could play against my 11 yr old ;)

grahamiam
20-06-2012, 15:49
Alright, I'll take one for the team (not really, I will just play the demo)

ProPain
20-06-2012, 16:08
Alright, I'll take one for the team (not really, I will just play the demo)

That's the attitude of the dutch national football team summarised in one sentence. :D

grahamiam
23-06-2012, 00:58
Ok, I got a good vibe playing the demo for a bit. It's based on the world from the "Majesty" games, so it's kinda hokey. Deep, it is not. Seems to have mostly pokey stick diplomacy or bribes, no "x"gpt for those pigs for 10 turns type stuff. Also, confirmed that it does have fireballs. And lightning bolts. And dragons. And trolls. And the AI can use them properly.

Steam summer sale has usually started the Thursday before July 4th holiday, so I'll probably buy it next week or when it's available for $10

ProPain
30-06-2012, 09:36
Steam sale coming up... That's gonna take a lot of self discipline on my side.

ProPain
13-07-2012, 12:15
I see you took that hit for the team after all :)

How's the game?

grahamiam
14-07-2012, 16:44
For $6, I couldn't resist as the demo was pretty good. I'll try to play a full game after I finish my current Sins campaign.

Furiey
21-07-2012, 12:03
It's up for vote as a flash deal

ProPain
29-03-2014, 09:50
Warlock II is about to be released. I watched some Warlock II let's play to see if I might wanna buy it and it seems this game is exact the same game as Warlock I. Only differences being they slapped a campaign on it and they put the spells in a tech tree instead of 'pick one of 6 random options to research next'. Feels more like a patch/DLC than a new game.

Furiey
29-03-2014, 10:32
Yes I picked up Warlock in a sale and have played a bit. Will wait for a sale for the next one I think, but then I seem to be doing that a lot at the moment.

ProPain
29-03-2014, 10:59
I;m not paying full price for it either. Picked up Warlock I in the Paradox Humble Bundle which made it more than worth while.