PDA

View Full Version : Diablo III

grs
16-05-2012, 17:32
Ok, I bought the game now and after all the panic yesterday, it seems to run fine now. My battle tag is still the same as in the beta: Grookshank#2527. Just a small reminder: You can freely select the region (Europe, America, Asia) now, but your characters are stored on the reason you created them. Long story short: Select the region in the option before(!) logging in else you might end up on the wrong one.

Shabbaman
16-05-2012, 19:46
Diawhat?

BCLG100
16-05-2012, 22:29
Sayhuh?

akots
17-05-2012, 05:03
There is no review on gamespot or ign and the meta scores are around 7.5, so I presume this did not go well.

ProPain
17-05-2012, 10:44
Bought it at release, and was able to play a whopping 1,5 hours during the first 24 hours, due to the server being overloaded. That seems fixed now.

Dunno about the review scores but I think it's a good game. Not so sure what will happen when the real money auction house goes live though. Still I wasn't planning on buying the game beforehand but the open beta changed my mind. The story and pacing of the game will keep you hooked, like D2 did.

And I read somewhere D2 didnt get raving reviews at release either but a lot of people regard that as the best in the genre still.

grs
17-05-2012, 10:48
There is no review on gamespot or ign and the meta scores are around 7.5, so I presume this did not go well.
From my pov the game is really nice. Most negatives I saw are about technical stuff from the launch that has more or less been sorted out already. I played about 6 hours yesterday without any problems. The game is really nice if you want to play Diablo. Many complaints are about people expecting the game to be a different one, but it is a pure Diablo game = hack&slash. If that is your game, this is the one to go for imho. If you expect strategical combat and mmo-like storylines, it is not.

akots
17-05-2012, 20:04
I would prefer it to be a little bit less, ahem, mindless. At least some element got to be there, otherwise, it turns into a clone of itself or torchlight/fate. I really liked fate for about 3-4 days and it has some limited planning element which as I understand, D3 lack because it was removed at some point of development due to "overcomplexity". I relalize that to appeal to masses of general public, the game has to be quite simple. However, WC3 is not a simple game to master at all on higher difficulty settings and requires some careful planning. WC3 though is an RTS in its essence.

ProPain
17-05-2012, 23:44
All diablo's always have been simple hack and slash games. With the removal of skill point assigning, Diablo III is even more simple than D1 & D2 from a strategical POV. Personally I dont mind, if I want something more strategical I play SC or Civ. Gonna buy TL2 as well, I really liked TL1 and for 19$ you really cant go wrong imo.

I don't quite understand why you compare D3 to WC3. WC3 is an RTS game, D3 is not. Comparing WC3 to SC2 would be a better option imo. I didnt really like WC3, to much micro for me, it drove me insane. But my micro has improved a lot since then (from non-existent to poor) so maybe I should retry it sometime.

I do think the micro, creeper camps and items make WC3 one of the more strategical RTS's out there. Maybe that is the reason it never reached the popularity SC got, or SC2 for that matter. I fear WC3 will be most known for spawning the MOBA genre through DOTA and popularising the tower defense genre with it's heap of TD mods.

akots
18-05-2012, 02:05
Uh-oh, I think you severely underestimate the popularity of WC3. That is a very popular game even now. MP servers are busy-busy at all times, there are a lot of kids out there still playing with the mods and they like it. My younger son is a huge fan and is playing since he is 11 up to this moment when he is 17. Modding community is very active as well. Now, it is basically freeware with copy protection removed which adds to popularity.

D2 was actually quite reasonable and required some occasional thinking. I don't see this coming to D3.

Torchlight 2 might be better. It is usually a brand (fates, t1) with very polished products, essentially bug-free and not a resource hogs with nice dynamic play and excellent graphics even now, 6 years after the original fate. As to the replayability value, that is supposed to be low anyhow for this type of games. So, I'd give it 5-6 days. But I'm not buying D3.

akots
18-05-2012, 02:46
... With the removal of skill point assigning, Diablo III is even more simple than D1 & D2 from a strategical POV. Personally I dont mind ...

That is a very clear statement. I laughed for about 5 minutes non-stop and completely second this line of thinking when it comes to movies. These are expected to be a one-shot thing, you watch and forget that thing existed ever forever. But that would be 7-9 dollars.

I still expect something better for 60 bucks.

grs
18-05-2012, 08:53
That is a very clear statement. I laughed for about 5 minutes non-stop and completely second this line of thinking when it comes to movies. These are expected to be a one-shot thing, you watch and forget that thing existed ever forever. But that would be 7-9 dollars.

This belongs into the "I would like it to be a different game" category I mentioned above. People like different things. D3 delivers to be a Diablo game, which always was a low skill, low strategy, lots of casual hack and slash type. I like it :)

ProPain
18-05-2012, 10:16
Uh-oh, I think you severely underestimate the popularity of WC3. That is a very popular game even now.

I didnt say it wasn't popular, I just said

- D3 is a different genre than WC3, so imo they dont compare well
- WC3 never reached the popularity SC did.
- I think some WC3 mods will be more remembered than the game itself.

Still all true imo :)

Totally agree with GRS here. So you don't like it, that's fine but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just caters to another public. It's the same with WC3. I didn't like it that much but I'm not claiming it's a bad game. And I'm not ROFL'ing cause other people do like it.

Apart from the fact that I think 60 dollars for a game is ridiculous in general, I dont think complexity is the determining factor here. At least not for me, I feel a game needs to warrant it's price in total playtime and replayablilty. In the past Blizzard hasn't disappointed in that respect, apart from WC3, I got a lot of mileage out of my Bliz games. Civ V has been a great disappointment in this regard. Spent 70 euro's on that in total, rarely gets played.

The general price tag of games has dropped a lot when digital distribution made it easier to get your game published. The iPhone & appstore have also contributed to a different perception of fair pricing of games. For me a 40-50$ price was normal up to a few years ago, now I'm way more critical. The games I had most fun with recently all were a lot cheaper than $50/60 but weren't less fun. SC2 being the exception here, worth every dime I paid for it.

Shabbaman
18-05-2012, 22:45
Just played civ5, still worth every penny.

akots
19-05-2012, 06:26
... Totally agree with GRS here. So you don't like it, that's fine but that doesn't mean it's a bad game. It just caters to another public. It's the same with WC3. I didn't like it that much but I'm not claiming it's a bad game. And I'm not ROFL'ing cause other people do like it. ...

I hear you both, PP and grs. And still contemplating but unless children want it specifically, I'm not going to get it since they showed little interest towards SC3, which I did not buy either. Also, I don't like buying stuff in-game with real money.

ProPain
19-05-2012, 09:02
Also, I don't like buying stuff in-game with real money.

This worries me as well. I for one will not pay real money for ingame items as a matter of principal, but I'm not so sure about the effeect it will have on the game in general. The real money AH isnt open yet but I fear once it does it will be the starting sign for the farmer industry to start spamming the game.

grs
19-05-2012, 10:28
This worries me as well. I for one will not pay real money for ingame items as a matter of principal, but I'm not so sure about the effeect it will have on the game in general. The real money AH isnt open yet but I fear once it does it will be the starting sign for the farmer industry to start spamming the game.
Garee, especilly for a full price product. I spent about 10,- € on ingame stuff (mostly rune pages) for LoL, but that is a free to play game and now I have what I want, so I essentially payed 10,- € on the game.

I am not really worried though, because I plan to play the game with people I know and if others want to spend their money buying stuff, it will have zero impact on me I assume.

Kingreno
23-05-2012, 10:37
I got to play D3 for quite a few hours last days. As always there some plusses and some minusses but in the end I think it is a good game, that mat become a great game.

As for the Auction House. Not too worried about that either. I don't like PvP anyways and if someone is in a game with obvious Übergear I just quit and join an other.

ProPain
23-05-2012, 12:24
it's not so much the ubergear that worries me,it's the farmers and farmer spam this is gonna incite. In WoW this was rampant. Farmers messaging you constantly to buy their gold. The new real money AH makes selling legal which will increase the farming I suspect.

The one good thing is that items in D3 generally arent Bind on Equip as they are in WoW. As a consequence items will become less and less scarce as time progresses and thus less interesting to sell. That should disencourage the farmers I guess. Also positive, you cannot message spam an entire server with a bot in D3 as you can in WoW. If you make games private you're sure you'll be left alone.

My thoughts: if you plan on selling anything for real money on the AH: do it asap to benefit of the relative scarcity of all items. Play with friends in private games as much as you can to avoid the spammers.

Personally I;m already so far behind on the leveling curve that I don't have anything decent to sell, I guess I cant quit the day job to become a pro D3 player [lol]