PDA

View Full Version : Simcity

Shabbaman
20-04-2012, 16:19
Okay, the thread title might not be as descriptive as it could be, but apparently next year we'll see a new version of Simcity that's just called that... Simcity. Now, let's get this straight: EA has the potential to screw up a seemingly good game (simcity societies?), and a lot of "remakes" or "successors" of a lot of games are more often dumbed down versions than not. However... it seems to me as if this game has more strategic depth than previous versions of SC (although I might not be intimate with SC4... perhaps Darkness can shed some light on that :) ): in this version of SC there will actually be something of a resource system. I could write about it, but these videos show what got me excited.

vS0qURl_JJY
MxTcm1YFKcU
6t_ywQGBaEw

The biggest fear I have is that they'll screw up pathfinding (as usual). I can't remember ever playing a game with proper pathfinding. I still have nightmares about getting troops through a city gate in Total War...

BCLG100
20-04-2012, 19:31
It wont be as good as it was!

barbu1977
20-04-2012, 20:36
It wont be as good as it was!

Which one?

akots
21-04-2012, 03:54
... I still have nightmares about getting troops through a city gate in Total War...

The only version I'm aware of which has it more or less functional is Total Realism v6 mod for Rome: TW. There, it worked reasonably well. As expected, Shogun 2 also cannot handle that. I always thought it is a simple thing to do but it seems like it is not.

Sommerswerd
25-04-2012, 23:21
I heard about the new Sim City coming out and I am trying not to get too excited after the colossal letdown that was Civ 5 :(...

But SimCity 4 was so good, and so much better than the prior ones... well maybe not THAT much better than 3 (Different style bridges?... Hydro electric power? Hello???), but still very good.

I would like to know more about this resource system though... whats that about? Like Age of Empires? I need stone to build a police station or something like that?

Shabbaman
26-04-2012, 10:08
Well, in the video you can see a water tower. You have to place it near water, and then it sends water "packets" into the city. I'm not sure if the water gets depleted, but I'm pretty sure there's a maximum capacity to how much water can be pumped up per time period. The same would go for an iron mine, I assume.

Sommerswerd
26-04-2012, 17:16
Right, but what would the Iron be used for? Cars? Buses? Or is it for trade with neighboring cities?

As for the water, what you describe does not seem all that different from the system in SimC 4 right? Water had a Capacity, electricity had a capacity. It seems like the "packets" or "agents" are just vanity.

I also hope that Crime is implemented a little better in this one. For example, why cant I reduce Crime at the airport?

Shabbaman
27-04-2012, 15:04
Well, the agents show how the water is distributed. So the further you get from the tower, the less water is available. It's similar with pipes I guess, but everything is distributed like this. So basically you can predict where your workers will go first. And since everything is going by road, you can reroute at will. It seems highly customisable, I can't oppose that. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than simcity 4.

About the iron: I assume it'll go into "product", and the primary product is required by something like a store. You could import it, or produce it yourself. Or export it and make money.