PDA

View Full Version : FallOut

ProPain
25-06-2011, 19:28
Bought FallOut 1, 2 & tactics on GOG.com. They were dirt cheap and FallOut has been on my list of 'still have to play sometime' ever since release. I've played it a bit and so far I really like it. Even with the gritty old school low res it is still a very good game.

I installed the high res mod, but 1680*1050 makes it really hard to see stuff on the floor so I wend back to 800*600 and I must say I enjoy it more that way. Real old-school feeling.

Anybody else who played it?

Shabbaman
26-06-2011, 00:12
A long time ago. I have 3 and New Vegas for the PS3.

ProPain
26-06-2011, 02:14
Why did you buy em for the PS3 instead of PC?

akots
26-06-2011, 10:48
I played only FO3. Which is quite a reasonable game IMO.

Shabbaman
26-06-2011, 14:50
Why did you buy em for the PS3 instead of PC?

To have something to do when I'm not at my PC.

ProPain
26-06-2011, 15:02
I picture the following scene:

Shabba GF: Come on, can't you do something else apart from playing TF2 on that ff'ing pc al day.

Shabba:Sure honey.

-= logs out TF2, shuts down PC, walks to the couch and starts playing on his PS3 =-

Shabbaman
27-06-2011, 12:08
Usually it's just that she wants to use the PC herself. The game also has a very slow pace, so it's suitable for gaming on the couch. If I'd be playing it on the PC I'd be playing it as a FPS (instead with VATS), but as an FPS it's a subpar game. So I'm willingly restricting myself to playing with a controller instead of a mouse (like all those CoD idiots) and pretend to be happy.

ProPain
27-06-2011, 17:00
I was wondering how that transition from turn-based to more FPS combat turned out. Cause that's what has been keeping me from buying Fallout:NV untill now. Is the game comparable to other RPG's like Morrowind/Oblivion or is it a completely different beast?

Shabbaman
27-06-2011, 23:10
Just like Oblivion, and in combat you can enter something like TBS mode.

ProPain
28-06-2011, 09:22
good to know, think I might buy them once I finish up 1 & 2. And hoping for the Steam summer sale to arrive, if it ever will.

Halfway FO1 now I estimate, still really enjoying it. I love the atmosphere. The inventory handling is also pretty cumbersome. But that's older games too I guess. Col & Civ 1 - 3 also had a lot of enfuriating micro. :)

akots
29-06-2011, 00:05
IMO, New Vegas is somewhat inferior to the vanilla FO3. Or may be I'm biased because now I reside in the DC area.

ProPain
29-06-2011, 09:23
I'm hoping for a new Steam summer sale with one or both of the new Fall Out's. Steam has to hurry though, I'll be on vacation in one week. So if they don't start this week, chances I'll miss the sale and Steam should know I'm a sucker for steam sales.

Beorn
29-06-2011, 21:39
I found it harder to get "lost in thoughts" wandering FNV, and it's one of the things I loved most about FO3: wandering around with night vision googles, sniping super mutes and deathclaws. Dungeon crawling was ok but then again, I thought FNV shotguns blew and were hard to handle compared to semi-auto FO3 shotguns. Also, those flyer bugs in FNV are just too fast, too hard to kill manually and have too much hp for VATS. FNV often looked cooler but that's about it. I look forward to DLC's though, might give it more life; I found FO3 DLC's weird.

I still want to go in DC to wander about on my mountain bike, seeing the FO3 sights. Not so with Vegas.

Shabbaman
30-06-2011, 14:32
IMO, New Vegas is somewhat inferior to the vanilla FO3. Or may be I'm biased because now I reside in the DC area.

Garee. Dialogues and interconnectivity of storylines/events is better in FNV than in FO3 though in my opinion. Fallout 3 GOTY is the better purchase.

ProPain
30-06-2011, 20:37
Steam summer sale has started, so now I'm waiting for FO3 or FNV to get a steep price drop :)

Shabbaman
01-07-2011, 10:20
You really want the GOTY edition, not the regular one. It's on sale now, but it should be cheaper that it is currently priced.