PDA

View Full Version : New Pitboss - Old Ghosts

Plux
12-04-2011, 19:52
Hi All,

been a while since I've been here, but thnx to Matrix and Shabba I've found my way back. And anxious to play a game again. (havent touched civ5 yet) Anyone interested in a new pitboss game? Looking for 4/5/6 players, further settings to be defined as we go along.

- Plux
- Matrix
- Socralynnek
- 2metraninja
- Robi D
- Lt. Killer M
- PMBmaker

I personally have no experience hosting with pitboss and I find the app itself a bit confusing at first glance, so we'll have to discuss hosting issues as well.. :)

Let me know if u want to play and whatever requirements for the game u desire!

Matrix
12-04-2011, 19:54
It'll be tough for me to host, but I could give it a try if necessary.

ProPain
12-04-2011, 21:13
This is a civ IV game I presume?

Plux
12-04-2011, 22:13
This is a civ IV game I presume?

Yes it.. BTS 3.19

Matrix
12-04-2011, 23:13
You wanna join, ProPain?
(And Killer, ERIKK and Kemal... [rolleyes])

BCLG100
12-04-2011, 23:45
I might be able to help with a map but i doubt i have the time/inclination to play civ again :)

ProPain
13-04-2011, 00:30
You wanna join, ProPain?
(And Killer, ERIKK and Kemal... [rolleyes])

If you get Killer, ERIKK and Kemal to join I will as well. :)

I'm tempted to join but won't. I simply cannot garantee a long term, daily turn.

socralynnek
13-04-2011, 09:07
I'd like to join!

It will be some time until I will touch Civ V...

Plux
19-04-2011, 01:13
I have some1 from civfanatics to join.. welcome 2metraninja!

OP edited.

Furiey
19-04-2011, 10:47
Make sure when you set up the game you set Take over AI and Simultaneous moves. I forgot to set both of these with Robi's Quest for Spoilers...

Shabbaman
19-04-2011, 12:00
I might be able to help with a map but i doubt i have the time/inclination to play civ again :)

At least not civ4.

Robi D
20-04-2011, 05:12
I'm happy to join if you'll have me

Plux
20-04-2011, 16:49
I'm thinking a low barb setting, small size map, normal or high speed, tech-trading allowed..

2metroninja also asked about turn timer, difficulty, restricted or unrestricted leaders.

IIRC turn timer doesnot qualify since its a pitboss or do we have to have a cap at like 3 mins?

I play monarch and emperor mostly, but I dont know about others.

Unrestricted leaders are ok afaic.

Furiey
20-04-2011, 17:25
You will need a turn timer that gives the maximum time before a turn will end unless everyone plays their turn earlier. A turn timer of 3 mins will give everyone 3 mins for their turn, that's 3 mins in total not 3 mins each, you would have to play all day! The Robi's Questfor Spoilers pitboss gives 24 hours per turn and seems about right allowing for time zone differences etc.

Plux
20-04-2011, 18:23
ok, ty for clarifying that.. and welcome aboard Robi D!

Lt. Killer M
21-04-2011, 00:11
you want me (to get killed or kill) you get me. I'm in!

socralynnek
21-04-2011, 00:35
Personally, I pretty much prefer "No tech trading"

Matrix
21-04-2011, 00:49
^ what he said

Robi D
21-04-2011, 02:27
Have to agree with no tech trading, having it on makes the game one dimentional. Also for most pitboss games we have started with 2 settlers, 2warrior and a worker to speed up the start but thats not essential.

Finally shoud have someone at least check the map to make sure no one gets dudded

Plux
21-04-2011, 18:37
OK then it will be:

low barb setting, small size map, normal speed, tech-trading NOT allowed, 24h turn timer, difficulty Monarch, unrestricted leaders, normal start (ie 1settler, 1warrior).

unless people desire otherwise within 48h..

BCLG100, would you be so kind to make us the map after 48h?

Matrix, can you host?

Robi D
22-04-2011, 11:08
will we be picking leaders/civs or leaving it to random chance?

Lt. Killer M
22-04-2011, 15:16
random, I'd say

BCLG100
22-04-2011, 16:51
OK then it will be:

low barb setting, small size map, normal speed, tech-trading NOT allowed, 24h turn timer, difficulty Monarch, unrestricted leaders, normal start (ie 1settler, 1warrior).

unless people desire otherwise within 48h..

BCLG100, would you be so kind to make us the map after 48h?

Matrix, can you host?

I have my big Bar exams next Wednesday and Thursday so I wouldn't be able to get around to making a map until at least some time after that (taking into account drunk/recovery time). If that's fine then i'll give it a shot, if not then I can't really do it any faster unfortunatly.

Plux
25-04-2011, 16:50
I think after so many years a few days of patience more are fine indeed. Let me know when you are ready with the map.

Ive got a new system running so silently that it might make it possible to host myself, if pitboss + Windows 7 allows for daily computer use and pitboss server tasks. So far I think it shouldnt be a problem, but if someone has any negative experience with this I'd like to hear about it..

Matrix
25-04-2011, 17:23
Crap, I sort of have the same problem: I'm going on holiday this Wednesday and will come back two weeks after. :( Perhaps someone could play for me for two weeks, after which I can take over again...

Plux
25-04-2011, 23:51
I think nobody would mind waiting, but hopefully you find a trustworthy startup replacement

BCLG100
26-04-2011, 13:13
Well I can always playtest for awhile if you can't.

Matrix
26-04-2011, 13:37
Could you also help me out for the other pitboss, RQFS? [mischief]

BCLG100
26-04-2011, 18:00
Not really, for the same reason why I wont be able to get around to this till probably monday at the earliest.

BCLG100
04-05-2011, 22:44
Ok, so I can probably get around to making this as i've sobered up a bit!

I see that you've got a few of the settings checked but wouldn't mind checking some more.

How many people are playing?
Has there been a patch that i've missed?
Do i have some lee-way to leave some easter eggs/traps?
are you sure you only want 1 settler and warrior or do you want a few starting bonuses? if so what? perhaps another worker, settler and warrior/scout if applicable.

Lt. Killer M
05-05-2011, 19:44
I'd like to have a BUFFY compatible game, if possible. It saves so much hassle.... what do the others say?

BCLG100
05-05-2011, 20:12
is that the cfc HOF mod? if so i could do with an updated link before making the map (if it affects it),

Lt. Killer M
06-05-2011, 00:26
is that the cfc HOF mod? if so i could do with an updated link before making the map (if it affects it),

let's wait for the others... BUFFY is basically the same as the HOF mod, and accepted for it (last time I checked).

socralynnek
06-05-2011, 00:39
I have BUFFY installed, and I think I have played a pitboss, where it was used and it worked, I think...

So, yes, I'd be fine with using it.

Plux
06-05-2011, 01:21
I have no clue what the Buffy or HOF mods entail, so if you have a link or info to enlighten my wicked but ignorant mind, please share...

For a nice and flexible start, my preference is to have a settler, warrior and scout available, and plenty of early resources for the starting site. I suppose thats ok with most of the other 5 ( six in total ) players.

socralynnek
06-05-2011, 09:06
I wouldn't mind having another Settler to speed the early phase up. But I guess, with 6 people, it's probably rather fast anyway (although personally: I can only play in the evening, and on some days, only late in the evening)

2metraninja
06-05-2011, 09:23
Hi guys, happy to finally able to post at CDZ.

Right now the CFC forum server is overloaded and cant post specifics, but I know that BUFFY removes few possible cheats situation and few events as the Arian uprising, which can kill whole civ (5-6 barbarian axes/archers spawning at turn 30 or so near your capitol)

Also it gives you ton of information - who have what for trading, where you can whip with how many overflow and so on.

Unfortunately I found this while searching for multiplayer+buffy:

Unfortunately, we are having constant problems, with a "out of sync" problem. Haven't read through all the forum pages, but is this a known issue? What's the deal? Can it be prevented?

I'm hosting, and the other player has to log out of the game and back in each time. It seems to be each and every time he attacks anything. Only barbarians so far. But, each and every time he tried to attack one, the out of sync appeared.

right now there is a known issue with the new bull dll/bug and OOS errors. You might see some in other versions but it's hard to say where it cropped up.

Exact same problem here using Buffy 3.19.003. Only attacking barbs/AI cities causes instant OOS. We'll try without Buffy tomorrow.

Anyone knowing more on this?

2metraninja
06-05-2011, 09:28
On another matter, I have an online friend - PMBmaker, who is looking for new pitboss to join as our last ended prematurely because of the childish behavior of one of the players, pausing the game all the time seeing he is going to be overwhelmed soon.

PMBmaker is reasonable and honorable player, who plays the game as it is intended to be played.

So, will you accept another player?

Lt. Killer M
06-05-2011, 13:44
the main advantage of BUFFY, for me, is that it gives you all the info you can glean form the game in an easy-access format. You don't have to keep lists from old turns, you don't have to click through a thousand screens, etc.

Plux
06-05-2011, 15:40
It sounds ok, Buffy, I'll see if I can fiddle around a bit with it before the actual game starts. I would think the OOS errors shouldnt arise in a Pitboss MP game, since players are not simultaneously logged in. I couldnt find problems searching for Pitboss + BUFFY, couldn't find zilch actually. We'll have to find out for ourselves, I guess, we might be first to try it in Pitboss..

A 7th guest is ok by me..

socralynnek
06-05-2011, 16:10
From time to time, players are simultaneously logged in...(as long as we allowed it, which we so far always have)

BCLG100
06-05-2011, 17:30
ok so what do you guys want me to make? taking in to mind the other questions i asked on page 3

Lt. Killer M
06-05-2011, 20:02
I'm fine with the suggested start speed-up in any form

Plux
06-05-2011, 21:23
Ok, so I can probably get around to making this as i've sobered up a bit!

I see that you've got a few of the settings checked but wouldn't mind checking some more.

How many people are playing?
Has there been a patch that i've missed?
Do i have some lee-way to leave some easter eggs/traps?
are you sure you only want 1 settler and warrior or do you want a few starting bonuses? if so what? perhaps another worker, settler and warrior/scout if applicable.

Hope you had a good one!

7 people are playing

I don't know, we're playing 3.19 with the Buffy mod and see if it works with Pitboss

Total freedom - the theme is Old Ghosts, referring to the Oldies in the game

start with settler, warrior, scout.. you might throw in 1 worker, but then some civs with the right starting techs that give worker actions are at an edge. Civs are randomly divided. Starting position will have a handfull (4-5) of bonus resources.

what else?

BCLG100
06-05-2011, 23:10
Do you still want a small map with 7 people playing? it'll get quite crowded and what about water levels? do you want any?

socralynnek
07-05-2011, 01:39
Easter eggs, I want easter eggs! And I like cheese!

(BTW, small map only if it is purely land based)

Plux
07-05-2011, 04:30
there will be loads of cheese for everyone, rest assured..

(map size was flexible, so if you think bigger is better than do so)

socralynnek
09-05-2011, 08:47
Re:Starting bonuses

Because of what Plux already said: Second worker is a little unbalanced as some start with meaningful worker techs right away, some not. That's why I'd prefer a second Settler just in case.

Other possibility: Advanced start with x points (then not too many), so everyone can decide for himself.

Otherwise: Everyone starting with 1 scout + 1 warrior would be ok (although that eclines the exploration bonus of civs starting with a scout already)

2metraninja
09-05-2011, 15:41
If we want to make the start faster, just put quick timer for the first 20-30 turns - something like 10 or 12 hours, as it is mostly clicking EndOfTurn in those first turns and builds and actions can be queed up.

Lt. Killer M
09-05-2011, 17:06
If we want to make the start faster, just put quick timer for the first 20-30 turns - something like 10 or 12 hours, as it is mostly clicking EndOfTurn in those first turns and builds and actions can be queed up.

that's not a good option, seeing that some players have families and responsibilities. A missed turn that is MORE than click End can have a severe effect that early in the game.

2metraninja
09-05-2011, 21:53
It costs 1 or 2 minutes this early in the game to load and play your turn, so early before work and when you get home it is not a big problem to play it without sacrificing attention to your family, but I am ok any way. Even if we just start normal and play the game.

BCLG100
10-05-2011, 00:15
It costs 1 or 2 minutes this early in the game to load and play your turn, so early before work and when you get home it is not a big problem to play it without sacrificing attention to your family, but I am ok any way. Even if we just start normal and play the game.

CDZ is far more casual and relaxed than you may be used to with cfc. However, unlike cfc, we actually finish the game.

socralynnek
10-05-2011, 09:19

It costs me more as I have to switch on the machine and fire up the internet connection. (But I might even do that in the early stages) At least as long I can't take the turns with my smartphone ;-)

OTOH, the early stages might be tedious and slow, but this is not where someone stops playing (someone stopping playing is seen very seldom over here anyway). So even if we have a normal start, that shouldn't be a problem.

We have used this advanced start points thing in another pitboss. I think it was good there ( I think, we had a little too many points there, but I think that is editable)

2metraninja
10-05-2011, 10:22
Well, I am ok with this advanced start - I have heard a lot of communities use it in their pitbosses to great success. Specially the Polish - they use it every time, so I can ask someone of them about how to balance this if you want.

Lt. Killer M
10-05-2011, 10:53
points is fine! We all can used them to max the advantage of our civs

BCLG100
10-05-2011, 14:29
If someone could condense everything that is required in to one post that would be handy, I'll try and make the map on Sunday if i can get the details before then as I have two exams on thursday.

Plux
11-05-2011, 10:07
If someone could condense everything that is required in to one post that would be handy, I'll try and make the map on Sunday if i can get the details before then as I have two exams on thursday.

random leaders/civs
Unrestricted leaders are ok
low barb setting
medium size map, random seas, temperature, etc - creative styling of whatever you can think of YES you are GOD
normal speed
no tech-trading allowed
difficulty Monarch
Advanced start with 500 (?) points
BUFFY compatible game

Playaz:
- Plux
- Matrix
- Socralynnek
- 2metraninja
- Robi D
- Lt. Killer M
- PMBmaker

Robi D
14-05-2011, 05:38
advance start points are dependent on map size, starting era and game speed.

For normal speed/ anicent era start the points on a small map is 540, standard size 600.

BCLG100
15-05-2011, 21:08
Just to let you know where I'm at, spent awhile fannying around trying to remember how to do the map.

Currently i've completed 3 of the starts and aiming to finish the rest tonight/tomorrow. After going through the map it might work better if instead of advanced start you just let me give you guys an extra settler/worker otherwise a lot could be revealed with the additional benefits of extra sight which might leave certain civs more or less disadvantaged (obviously i'll try and minimise this). So if you could let me know what you think to this that'd be good?

Plux
15-05-2011, 22:00
i have never played with advanced starts but it seems to me its just how youd like to spend your points how your advantage will turn out?

BCLG100
15-05-2011, 22:17
You get enhanced visibility with it, I can't recall the extra tiles. It's up to you guys I just thought i'd warn you that certain people will therefore be able to see extra things which perhaps others wouldn't depending on city placement.

Plux
15-05-2011, 22:51
I just started a game with adv starts, but I dont see where one should get more advantage by the enhanced visibility than another? could you explain any further what you mean or give an example? to me it seems like an honest way to begin

BCLG100
15-05-2011, 23:02
As in, people will be able to see more of the custom starts and therefore the potential bonuses in that visible area may not be equal as it would take much longer for me to check that out, whereas the starts where it is simply settler warrior/scout are equalish.

Plux
15-05-2011, 23:12
Now I see what you mean.. maybe in the end its better to keep things basic and simple. What about start with settler, warrior and a scout/warrior depending on the civ traits. The scout starting civs keep a slight advantage (thats what the traits are for) and you have no trouble worrying about more than ca 25-30 balanced tiles... things might start out slower but its not a big map so stuff can be built quickly enough imo

BCLG100
16-05-2011, 00:47
Well I'll do other things with the map before finishing the starts for the remaining 4 players so just let me know.

BCLG100
16-05-2011, 20:40
Map's complete, I've not added any extra units but it's not too difficult for me to do so if you guys want me too. If not, Plux can you send me your email so i can send the save to you.

2metraninja
16-05-2011, 22:10
Great news!

When the game is about to start approximately?

Offtopic: I see something about CDZ championship. Is it going to have another one? I would be interested in participating :)

Plux
16-05-2011, 22:32
email sent by PM. So what starting units do we get exactly?

Now we need a host for the pitboss server. As I mentioned, I have no experience with this, and I do have a second pc available that I could set up as a server, but it'd require some effort to place things right so as to reduce the noise in my room and I might need help with the pitboss app to get everything in working order. If someone else has a better setup ready, that would make our lives much easier..

BCLG100
16-05-2011, 23:47
Well so far you have a settler and a warrior/scout (whichever civ has hunting). I'd recommend perhaps adding a worker and/or another warrior settler combo so you guys have something to do early on. Would take a couple of minutes to add anything, nothing too strenuous.

I've not assigned civs to anyone but they have been generated, do you guys want me too or are you just going to go first come first served?

Lt. Killer M
17-05-2011, 23:30
I can try to get my old PC to work as a pitboss host, but I'd rather not: it is very loud and very cranky, so crashes would likely be frequent.

Plux
18-05-2011, 04:03
I was thinking maybe someone from CDZ has (or knows someone who has) some free or commercial professional server cpu-cycle space available in which a small app like pitboss could run?? For instance, where is cdz itself running? It seems to me this shouldnt be that costly for something like pitboss and would save using our own pc's.. just an idea.

Furiey
18-05-2011, 09:09
It doesn't need a super PC, the Robi's Quest for Spoilers was running on my old P4 before it died and is now running on my laptop. It doesn't appear to like wireless connections though.

socralynnek
18-05-2011, 09:16
BCLG: I think, randomly assigned civs would be fine.

Another Warrior/Settler combo would speed things up, but the question is: Would that unbalance the starting positions in some respect?

As I haven't seen the map, I would trust you to make it good. The other question is, whether it is really necessary or does the game play out fast anyway.

(If in doubt, I think another warrior/settler combo would be fine)

Maybe combined with the rule that there should be no war in the first 20(?) turns, s.t. no one tries to use the two warriors on an exp civ that starts with just one.

Robi D
20-05-2011, 11:42
I'm happy with whatever start we have

2metraninja
20-05-2011, 16:07
I am ok with just random civs and normal start.

Plux
20-05-2011, 16:24
OK, that seems settled then. You can pass me the save and I'll try to get my old laptop up and running as a server. We might be able to start this weekend.

BCLG100
20-05-2011, 19:26
What's settled, I don't know what extra units you want?

Plux
20-05-2011, 19:30
As I'm reading things no extra units is what all are fine with, just warrior/scout and settler.

I'll have an extra ICBM though..

Plux
21-05-2011, 05:13
I got pitboss up and running on a laptop and it seems to work ok playing from my main pc. Even got the civstats tool running beside it, but the testgame I created doesnt appear on civstats.org yet, smth must be going wrong there. If any of you can try to connect to this test game just to see if connection works from "outside" Id like to hear if you succeed. I think it won't and I have to forward a port (2056?) from router to laptop, but first things first. Please try and let me know.. IP 83.162.9.47.. the game is BTS 3.19 no mods..

socralynnek
21-05-2011, 11:28
I logged in succesfully as Ze Germans.

Plux
21-05-2011, 16:24
great civstats is also working now for the testgame ty to matrix.. we're ready for the real game now.. I think

Matrix
21-05-2011, 23:42
I didn't do anything. [dunno]

Anyway, who will be hosting?

Plux
22-05-2011, 01:00
its not about you didnt know that you knew what you were doing but about what you didn't know you thought you were doing.

i think its best if you host.

Plux
25-05-2011, 18:59
Im trying to convert the wbs file into a save thru Single Player mode, then loading the save into a pitboss multiplayer game, but then the game appears as 'full' to other clients.. Anyone has a clue how to handle wbs files?

Furiey
25-05-2011, 20:45
I seem to have some memory of having to load it as a scenario or something.

BCLG100
25-05-2011, 20:53
I did tell you to load it as a Scenario

'You should be able to see it in the scenario section.'

Plux
26-05-2011, 06:53
I did, but i got nothing but a savegame that doesnt work in the pitboss application

Matrix
26-05-2011, 08:21
'fraid I can't host. Improper gear and I'll be moving soon.

BCLG100
26-05-2011, 09:48
I'm unsure on how the pitboss app itself works but it is playable through any of the civ4 multiplayer- for instance it can work with direct ip option which is, essentially, what pitboss runs.

Are you trying to run the world builder save as a pitboss or when you've opened it up and saved in SP? It needs to be the world builder save.

Furiey
26-05-2011, 10:46
I won't be able to host (need the laptop to use as a laptop), but do you want me to try the save and see if I can load it?

BCLG100
31-05-2011, 11:37
So what's going on with this game, was my time wasted making the map?

Lt. Killer M
31-05-2011, 12:29
So what's going on with this game, was my time wasted making the map?

Certainly not - we're just waiting for someone being able to host.

Matrix
31-05-2011, 23:21
Since I've got a Windows Azure (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/) subscription as a customer service agent I could try to host it on the cloud. [satan] But that's a long shot and will take quite some time. I'm frontline customer support, not a programmer.

Robi D
01-06-2011, 13:41
I'm looking to get a laptop which could host but that is still a couple of months away at this point

Robi D
01-06-2011, 13:42
Since I've got a Windows Azure (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/) subscription as a customer service agent I could try to host it on the cloud. [satan] But that's a long shot and will take quite some time. I'm frontline customer support, not a programmer.

Is there a programmer you could ask?

Matrix
01-06-2011, 23:54
Yes, there might be. But this week I'm too busy as my Dutch colleague is on holiday and I effectively have double the amount of work.

2metraninja
11-06-2011, 06:13
Hey, guys! Not that this is the apropriate thread, but in the CFC Multi-Team Demo Game2 no one is doing the CDZ turns for two days. You know each - other and possibly have way of communicating - can you check whats going on?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10580193#post10580193

2metraninja
28-06-2011, 18:49
Hey guys, bump?

Shabbaman
01-02-2012, 17:23
I just noticed this game is still running. Somehow...

ProPain
01-02-2012, 17:34
new server, old thread dredging :p