PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft

ProPain
08-04-2011, 13:26
Has anybody here succumbed to this electronic crack?

grahamiam
08-04-2011, 14:04
Anybody here how succumbed to this electronic crack?

Me and my two oldest kid's play a lot.

ProPain
08-04-2011, 18:27
For some strange reason I feel very tempted to buy this game lately.

BCLG100
08-04-2011, 19:19
Is it like Minesweeper?

ProPain
08-04-2011, 19:50
You seriously haven't heard of minecraft?

ylVtj-1Ccgg

Here's a tutorial but basically it's an open world game where you can build stuff. As an added challenge zombies (yes, Shabba, zombies!!!) come to hunt you at night

grahamiam
08-04-2011, 21:18
The worlds are also procedurally generated, so you never play the same one twice. And those worlds are huge. Game is still in beta, so it can be a little buggy. Must make sure your Java is updated as well as your video card driver (seriously!). Game is not optimized yet so it's a video card hog.

Propain, the game gets released in November. We bought when it was 10 euro, now it's 15, and I think it'll be 20 when released.

BCLG100
08-04-2011, 21:56
Kind of doesn't look like something I would like to pay for...

ProPain
08-04-2011, 23:14
Yeah I contemplated buying it when they announced it would go beta and get a 5$ price raise.

BCLG100
09-04-2011, 02:51
But it looks like something one should get for free anyways...

Rik Meleet
09-04-2011, 13:14
I watched several tutorials last night; might be a fun game.

grahamiam
09-04-2011, 15:13
Agreed, but we put so many hours into it so I can't say we didn't get our money's worth. Last night I finish my lava-lighthouse, I'll post a pic at some point.

ProPain
09-04-2011, 16:34
But it looks like something one should get for free anyways...

Indie developers need to make a living as well and good gameplay doesn't require stellar graphics.

Although I don't think we need to feel sorry about notch (creater of minecraft), apparently he made millions with this game.

grahamiam
09-04-2011, 17:00
Here's a series of articles that Rock Paper Shotgun did on the game. It follows the author thru 5 days of playing. If the link doesn't work, just search "mine the gap".

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/mine-the-gap/

ProPain
10-04-2011, 23:16
Bought the game today. It's really addictive in a strange way.

Are you on a MP server as well Grahamiam?

ProPain
11-04-2011, 19:28
Build a first house and mined my way down to the bedrock. Now busy finding iron and other rare metals and stone.

grahamiam
11-04-2011, 20:28
I am not on an MP server, as public ones are too full of griefers.

ProPain
01-05-2011, 10:43
Agreed, but we put so many hours into it so I can't say we didn't get our money's worth. Last night I finish my lava-lighthouse, I'll post a pic at some point.

Bump :)

Have been playing with my kids a lot and they love it. They have their own houses build and make waterfalls to slide down. Good fun.

Did some mining and building myself and finished my 1st portal to the nether yesterday. There's a lot more to the game than you would say at first sight.

Played a bit on a mp server that uses a whitelist/greylist system as well. I really like that you get these huge towns to walk through.

Attached some pics. First one is of my house when I returned after mining a bit. At night mobs spawn around torches so my house turned into a farmhouse. I think I should tile the floor to battle this in house mob spawning.

other 3 are of a candlestick lighthouse I build.

ProPain
16-09-2011, 10:38
So anyone else picked this up? I still play occasionally and I really like the way development is heading. The new piston block makes amazing machines possible and the adding of more adventure elements gives more depth to the game as well. For those not familiar with mine craft possibilities

Minecraft Original Zelda remake
SzV1pyK3YlM

Minecraft working computer
This is just one example, apparently there are a lot of tech savvy people with heaps of time on their hands who are doing this.
LGkkyKZVzug

USS Enterprise
Again, something must be seriously wrong with you to even start this.
lXUkdrcey-w

grahamiam
18-09-2011, 07:46
On the Enterprise one, I think they loaded it, somehow, into minecraft. I don't think they actually built it block-by-block.

ProPain
18-09-2011, 19:52
On their site they say they loaded all the floors from blueprints but when that's done they still have to clean up the upload and manually fill them in (rooms, furniture, docking bays etc)

grahamiam
04-10-2011, 05:19
My 11 yr old setup a minecraft server on our home network but we can't figure out how to make it available to others. We've opened some ports, tried some other stuff, but they can't connect. I may need to take my laptop to the Starbucks down the street and try it my self.

Anyways, the lads (the 11 and 8 yr old) have built some pretty impressive stuff, including a 64 or so block high American flag. We'll try to do a fly-by later this week and post it.

ProPain
17-03-2012, 15:47
so did you manage to get that MP server running. I;d like to do some MP Minecraft once in a while but prefer a small server with normal people :)

Whomp
20-03-2012, 00:26
The 8 and 11 year old in my household love this game. We built a roller coaster the other day.

ProPain
01-04-2012, 09:43
I've been looking around a bit and it seems you can get a minecraft server hosted for a few dollars a month. I saw a deal on the minecaft forums where you get a server suited for 5-10 players for $3 a month.

If I get a server would any of you be interested to play on it. Not asking for donations, but seeing if people are interested as playing alone on a server kinda defeats the purpose.:D[:O]

Shabbaman
01-04-2012, 17:08
I don't have minecraft, but I'd buy it just for this ;)

grs
02-04-2012, 10:02
I've been looking around a bit and it seems you can get a minecraft server hosted for a few dollars a month. I saw a deal on the minecaft forums where you get a server suited for 5-10 players for $3 a month.

If I get a server would any of you be interested to play on it. Not asking for donations, but seeing if people are interested as playing alone on a server kinda defeats the purpose.:D[:O]
I have minecraft and would definately give it a shot. I have to say though, that my gaming time is pretty limited at the moment (like you see in my absence in SC2). Also I never really got into the game that much: played a few hours and then dropped it again for a month. Could be a CDZ-server changes that, but don't count on me.

Rik Meleet
02-04-2012, 11:42
I play minecraft online; http://minecraftforfree.com/play.php

ProPain
02-04-2012, 20:03
I don't have minecraft, but I'd buy it just for this ;)

Well, in that case I'm gonna get that server. Gonna ignore that wink smiley and take you up on this promise. Love to see you build your 1st dirt shack

ProPain
02-04-2012, 20:09
Clearing up some final issues, if everything pans out ok, I'll be starting that server asap.

Shabbaman
02-04-2012, 23:04
Isn't it pretty easy to run a minecraft server from a home box?

ProPain
03-04-2012, 00:05
Maybe, but I don't want you on my homebox :P

My spare comp is too old to do this and I don't want the extra load on my LAN. And for $3 a month you really can't go wrong. Especially as it was a typo and it normally costs $6 a month. They offered me the $3 because I saw the typo before they corrected it.

grahamiam
04-04-2012, 02:38
To answer the earlier question, we got an internal server running, but something about my router makes it nearly impossible to host.

ProPain
04-04-2012, 09:48
GOt some answers about the server contract and I'm gonna try it. Basically I can quit it anytime I like and for $3 a month I fugure you really can't go wrong.

Will post when it's up so you can join if you want.