PDA

View Full Version : CIV and Windows 7

Lt. Killer M
14-01-2011, 21:51
I guess you can guess what my problem is:

Windows 7 doesn't like CIV!

how oh how do I keep it from installing on my admin account? It odes that even if I start the install from my local (non-admin) account.

and how can I make Windows 7 stop asking me for the darn admin password eacht ime I start CIV?????

and, while I am at it, how do I make it like Buffy? Currently, it can't start the mod at all. [:(]

Furiey
14-01-2011, 23:19
Civ 4 needs to run with administrator rights. With Win 7 that usually means installing and patching by right-clicking on the .exe and choosing run as administrator and running on an administrator account.

I run using an administrator account so don't have the issue of it asking for my administrator password.

I also don't use Buffy so can't help there although the issues may be related to not running on an administrator account.

You could try installing it to a non-standard location rather than letting it go into program files.

Lt. Killer M
14-01-2011, 23:32
thanks - I'll try....

Lt. Killer M
15-01-2011, 00:28
running CIV as admin still asks for an OK. :( but at least I get to have sounds! No audio options, though, so I can't turn them off either.

grahamiam
15-01-2011, 04:39
I have no issues running Civ4 in Windows 7 but I installed it on the Admin account.

If you want to run Buffy mod, you definitely need to "run as administrator"

ProPain
15-01-2011, 07:32
Same here, installed on the admin account and it runs fine. From a technical viewpoint that is, from a gameplay PoV it's a different story :D

Lt. Killer M
15-01-2011, 10:56
run as admin doesn't work, Bufyy doesn't start at all :( not on an admin account either.

ah screw it, I have no time for CIV anyways [lol]

ProPain
15-01-2011, 16:46
have you installed it from your admin account? Steam is rather picky about that I've noticed.

Lt. Killer M
15-01-2011, 19:01
CIV, not CiV ;)
no steam

ProPain
15-01-2011, 19:44
in that case forget my previous post about civ running ok on win7 on my machine :)

Furiey
15-01-2011, 21:13
Civ 4 runs fine on my Win 7 x64, installed from all the discs and patched. It is installed on an admin account in the default location, all installs and patches done by right clicking and run as administrator. I also had to install the latest directx 9c from microsoft.

Lt. Killer M
15-01-2011, 21:18
Civ 4 runs fine on my Win 7 x64, installed from all the discs and patched. It is installed on an admin account in the default location, all installs and patches done by right clicking and run as administrator. I also had to install the latest directx 9c from microsoft.

that's all there, and it runs, but I have no sound options (the tab is empty) and no "other" options either :(

akots
16-01-2011, 03:18
Instead of Buffy, you might try to install HOF mod (which includes most of Buffy and is essentially glitch-free in its latest version) and certainly BtS since if you don't have BtS, there might be problems. I've installed it in the roaming profile as admin so that it is not installed for other users (children must study and not play addictive games) under W7 64 bit. You need admin priviledges to install and to run, just turn annoying UAC off completely and everything starts running with admin priviledges. Also, if your version is not German but the folder with MyDocuments contains special symbols, there might be more problems or not, hard to tell. Also, mods have to be in the appropriate Mod directory of Civ4, not in the MyDocuments subdirectory which should optimally be empty apart from save files and config files. Otherwise, it should work with proper DirectX and video drivers. DirectX which comes with the BtS disk is fine, no problems. Or, as Furey noted, you can download latest version at any time. W7 will keep all versions of all drivers and all system files for you and will execute them as needed.

Finally, it might be worth trying to run in WinXP sp2 compatibility mode again strictly as admin. Or if full screen does not work, try windowed mode and vice versa.

In my case with the laptop, it did not want to run with NVidia processor but instead tried to repeatedly utilize Intel video under which it cannot even start properly (most of the screen is black) due to some problems with resolution since it needs to have at least 800 vertical whereas the laptop has 768 vertical. But under NVidia, it somehow scales up to full screen mode. Windowed mode is still crooked and needs virtual desktop expansion to be able to scroll.

Lt. Killer M
16-01-2011, 10:35
akots, that's a bunch of tip I'll try :) Thank you very much!

Lt. Killer M
31-01-2011, 22:47
it took some playing around, but I found a way to get what I wanted. Apparently, the auto patch install for CIV included on the BtS CD failed to make a proper install. Once I installed CIV, patched manually, then installed BtS, all was fine.

ProPain
01-02-2011, 09:41
nice one

Beam
01-02-2011, 10:19
I'll keep that in mind, might reinstall Civ 4 as long as Civ 5 is piss poor.

Lt. Killer M
01-02-2011, 22:50
remember to fully patch BtS as well before adding any mods (and I must say, once I played a BUFFY game I can't go back to playing without BUFFY).