PDA

View Full Version : crash thread

ProPain
08-11-2010, 20:08
Opening a new thread for this, maybe we can come up with some solutions.

After the patch I;m experiencing a lot more crashes than before. For me the most common one is

1) crash when trying to save or just after saving is finished
Obviously this is very annoying, anyone had this and found a solution?

1.1) Ran a file verification in Steam, and 1 file turned out to be corrupt and was replaced. Back to playing, let's see of this helps.
Had another crash, but it took a while longer compared to the last one. After the crash I revalidated my files and got another corrupt file. Thought this was fishy and immediately ran another validate after the replacement download: one corrupt file to replace.
1.2) Did a graph driver update, didn't experience the crash since after about 15 saves or so. Hopefully I've seen the last of it. I'm using an NVidia card for those haveing the same issues.

I suspect this is a bug in Steam, would someone be so kind and run a file validation in Steam and see what that does turn up?

If you have any other issues, just post em and I edit them in.

Furiey
09-11-2010, 01:25
Mine validates fine but doesn't crash either. There are however a lot of reports on this on the other site.

ProPain
09-11-2010, 09:12
Starting to suspect the crash is related to screen changed, much like the 2D/3D switch crash. Mostly because I had the crash several time when entering the save screen instead of right after saving when changing back. Updated graphics drivers, haven't seen another crash yet. Who knows........

The Steam validation problem persists. CFC seems down, so I can't look there but I'm gonna ignore this issue for a while. Fairly convinced this is related to Steam validation doing something.

Shabbaman
09-11-2010, 10:55
1) crash when trying to save or just after saving is finished
Obviously this is very annoying, anyone had this and found a solution?

Same here since the last patch.

ProPain
09-11-2010, 11:01
Shabba, have you tried validating your civ V file cache?

Shabbaman
09-11-2010, 12:53
No. The bug is random, not persistent, so I don't really bother with it.

Furiey
09-11-2010, 14:26
What graphics cards do you have? Mine is ATI and I've had no problem with crashing.

ProPain
09-11-2010, 14:29
NVidia NVS 5100M, laptop graphics card.

Card itself isn't having that much trouble with civ I think. My last laptop would go into extreme overheating mode when I played Civ or SC, fan noise was to the point of being unbearable. This new one barely warms up when playing Civ.

Darkness
09-11-2010, 14:40
What graphics cards do you have? Mine is ATI and I've had no problem with crashing.

I've got the ATI listed in the minimum requirement specs and the game has crashed just once. :)

ProPain
09-11-2010, 15:16
My old laptop had an ATI card as well and I hardly had any crashes then. Only 2D/3D switching caused freezes, but those are easy to avoid. I switched comps at the same time I got a new pc, so hard to test wether this is patch or pc related. Which is a pity

Furiey
09-11-2010, 16:08
This is my first ATI card. I can't try it on my laptop - old integrated intel graphics and my old pc (running the pitboss) is too old to bother with - it has a GEForce 2!

ProPain
14-11-2010, 10:16
As updated in the first post, updating my graphics drivers did seem to solve the problem for me. Haven;t seen a crash in 15 saves or so.

Knock on wood.

Furiey
17-11-2010, 02:22
I've now had my first real crash. Playing on a huge map with a pretty large empire I have a trouble free game until turn 289 when it just freezes. Cursor still moves, but the screen itself does nothing. Alt-Tab does nothing it's only when I Ctrl-Alt-Del to start task manager that I get the civ 5 will close message. Re-loaded from autosave (1.3 MB) play again and freeze again. I'll give it another go another day and see if a PC re-boot makes any difference.

ProPain
17-11-2010, 08:47
I had those same symptons, cursos moves ok, total freeze otherwise. Updating your graphics drivers if you haven't done that already might be worth a shot.

Furiey
17-11-2010, 20:50
Graphics drivers are up to date, it seems to be when it zooms to a particular area of the map. Going to see if I can get any further this evening.

Furiey
19-11-2010, 23:27
I was not far from winning the game so played a few turns in strategic view and was then able to complete it in normal view. What changed in that time to let me continue I have no idea.

ProPain
20-11-2010, 01:27
That's pretty weird. Good you managed to finish the game at least. Having to quit a game after investing hours is frustrating