PDA

View Full Version : Civ5 DLC coming up!

Shabbaman
19-10-2010, 18:29
I just found this (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104490-Ravage-the-World-as-Genghis-Khan-with-Free-Civ-V-DLC):

As a tribute to fans, Firaxis is offering a free Mongols Civilization and Scenario Pack as well as the Babylonian Civ for purchase on Oct. 26th.

You can download the Mongol pack through Steam and use Genghis Khan's Mongol Horsemen to take over swaths of Asia and Europe. The free DLC will contain a scenario allowing you to start from Khan's humble beginnings to eventually dominate the largest empire known to man. Also available on Oct. 26th is the Babylonian Civ Pack with which you can take on the role of Nebuchadnezzar II and bring peace, or not, with your Babylonian Bowmen. The Babylonians were previously only available to those customers who bought the Digital Deluxe Edition. The Babylonian Civilization Pack will cost $4.99.

So.

I like that they're giving us the mongol tribe for free. It's a shame they were missing as they were in civ1, but I like the trend that we get new civs (and scenario's) for free! Unfortunately Firaxis breaks this tradition on the soonest occasion with the $5 for Babylon. That's way too much for, well, bowmen. Perhaps it costs that much because its in the special edition?

Beorn
19-10-2010, 18:38
It costs that much because it's broken as hell!

ProPain
21-10-2010, 19:41
I think the fact that the babs are in the SE is exactly the reason that they charge 5$ for it. Had they given away the babs for free, they'd basically murdered the whole SE concept for the future. I sure as hell wouldn't have bought a Firaxis/2k game SE as the only serious addition would be given away for free a month after release.

Mongols for free is good move, if this is the new way to fight software piracy of make customers happy: good job, keep it up

Furiey
26-10-2010, 00:15
The game has been updated with the free DLC and Babylon is available for purchase (£2.99). I haven't checked if the Deluxe edition save issue has been fixed or not though.

akots
26-10-2010, 07:09
Played Mongols for a few turns. Keshiks are not really impressive and bonuses against CS are somewhat useless IMO. Have not played to the point of acquiring Khan yet. It seems, Mongols are somewhat weaker than other civs. An extra movement is not so useful for mounted units.

Furiey
27-04-2011, 21:57
Looks like the next DLC will be Denmark!

There's also a collection of Single player maps as a seperate DLC

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/299525/news/2-new-civilization-v-dlc-packs-land-next-week/

hjK40yQsa0w&feature=player_detailpage

CIV and Scenario DLC

Denmark Ruler - Harald Bluetooth:

Harald Bluetooth (920 - 986 AD) was King of Denmark for nearly 30 years. During his reign, he united the earls of Denmark and Norway and defended his people from invasion from Sweden and Germany. Today he is viewed as a just and wise king of Denmark.

UA: Viking Fury: Embarked Units have extra movement and less movement cost to move from sea to land. No movement cost to pillage improvements.
UU: Beserker: Replaces Longswordsman, starts with Amphibious and +1 movement
UU: Ski Infantry: Replaces Rifleman, move faster, and fight harder, on snow, tundra and hills.

Scenario Description:

In 1066: Year of Viking Destiny, the throne of England is up for grabs. Take the role of one of four leaders and seize control of the British Isles! Special rules for the scenario ensure that the only way to win is by the cunning use of force. Can you complete the Domesday Book and secure legal rule before your rivals? Use unique units for each faction in the scenario to claim the throne and stand the test of time!

Explorers Map Pack

Ten fantastic single-player maps make up this Civilization V DLC pack designed by Firaxis Games. Five of the maps are based on real-world locations, chosen for their historical interest and gameplay possibilities. The remaining five are scripted map environments. These maps will change from game to game, but will focus on an exciting gameplay theme. From the arid Sandstorm to the lush Amazon, and from the Caribbean to the Bering Strait, these maps will give skillful Civilization V players new lands to conquer!

£2.99 for each, due Tuesday 3rd May.

ProPain
30-04-2011, 18:52
I sure feel they're taking the whole DLC concept to far. Imo firaxis is overcharging for fairly simple DLC. Sure isn't helping to get me back to Civ V

Shabbaman
01-05-2011, 13:19
I don't see the problem with it. You don't have to buy it.

Darkness
01-05-2011, 15:54
Exactly.

It's just the amount of new content in these DLC's that's a little disappointing to me. And the fact that the scenario's are ridiculously easy... :(