PDA

View Full Version : Good work news for a change

Lt. Killer M
13-09-2010, 14:05
The German Science Foundation has been sitting on my grants application since 18 May 2009 - givent hat they intend to have a final decision on any application within 6 months that's not good news.

The German Science Foundation expert panel for Geosciences on July 16 (IIRC) OKed my grants application, with a severe cut in travel expenses, but with funds for a slave (student helper) and, apparently, 40.000 Euros for software. That is indeed good news, to a certain amount.

However, because the legal department of the German Science Foundation has some (minor?) remarks, there executive panel has not even seen the application yet. If and when it does, a pass is almost guaranteed, but it will take at least 3 to 5 more weeks. That, again, is not good news.

However, today I passed by exam for IHK-zertifizierter Versicherungsvermittler (Chamber of Commerce and Industries-certified insurance intermediary). That means that as of today I can sell you life insurances and other stuff - i.e., I can found a business now and try to earn money.

YUCK!

At least, for the first 9 months I can get support from the state, in the form of a subsidy of the amount of unemployment pay I now get. That's not too shabby, because I do not have to pay it back from my earnings. I.e., anything I do earn is heavily taxed, but mine to keep.

So if you happen to need a Riesterrente.... ;)

socralynnek
13-09-2010, 14:15
The problem is: no one needs a Riesterrente (besides the people who sell it...)

40000 Euro in software? That's a lot of copies of Civ...(but probably not much for the type of software you need...)

ProPain
13-09-2010, 15:09
Insurance salesman, that's quite an unexpected carrier change! Well just buy this T-shirt (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/off_duty_insurance_salesman_tshirt-235130350803783995) and your golden.

And they also sell a nice one for us CDZ spammers (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/spammers_are_lazy_marketers_tshirt-235535221520032720)

Beam
13-09-2010, 19:18
Killer selling life insurances. Scary...

akots
15-09-2010, 04:07
Life is a struggle.

Lt. Killer M
15-09-2010, 09:31
and more news.... of the [wallbash] kind.

what's holding up the DFG is that I asked for funding for expensive computer programs, nearly 20.000 € a pop. You have to distinguish, when you buy equipment (funding for "Sachmittel"), between tools worth less than 15.000 € and tools more than 20.000 € - the latter go in a special account for tools over 15.000 €, "Geräte über 15.000 €". I was very sure that computer programs are not tools, thus my 20k € program belongs in "Sachmittel", not "Geräte über 15.000 €". I called the DFG repeatedly and got the final reply: yes, goes in "Sachmittel". This is where I put it, too.

Some moron in the DFG then booked the funds into the "Geräte über 15.000 €" account, and this created trouble with the legal department.

Result: I get my contract 8 weeks later despite having made sure beforehand that I did everythign right.

:eek:[xx(]:mad:

ProPain
15-09-2010, 10:02
Just keep in mind bureaucrats are the same everywhere. Moving/emigrating is useless better get yourself a drink and wonder how people get this way.

Shabbaman
15-09-2010, 10:26
wonder how people get this way.

Just read Dilbert, it explains everything.

Darkness
15-09-2010, 11:18
Just keep in mind bureaucrats are the same everywhere.

Exactly. Universities here in the Netherlands are exactly the same. The bureaucrats slow everything down by at least a couple of months. And my brother told me it's exactly the same in England, so I doubt emigration will improve things.... :(

BCLG100
15-09-2010, 12:55
Exactly. Universities here in the Netherlands are exactly the same. The bureaucrats slow everything down by at least a couple of months. And my brother told me it's exactly the same in England, so I doubt emigration will improve things.... :(

They're fuckin useless over here. Just thought i'd pop in to mention it.

Furiey
15-09-2010, 13:46
Numpties live all over the world and catch you out when you least expect it.

Darkness
15-09-2010, 16:06
They're fuckin useless over here.

My brother phrased it exactly the same way... ;) Each and every word. :D

You're not my brother, are you? :eek:

Matrix
15-09-2010, 16:06
Ooo, I love the word "numpty". Gotta remember that one. :D

BCLG100
15-09-2010, 16:12
My brother phrased it exactly the same way... ;) Each and every word. :D

You're not my brother, are you? :eek:

[lol]

Beorn
15-09-2010, 21:17
Here, to get a job on campus, you and your employer/director need to go through the job bank regardless of whether or not this has anything to do with the university and regardless of whether or not your director would take anyone else instead. Most often, it's pre-arranged between student and director as a means of working together on a thesis-related or TA project, but it has to go through.

Then comes the actual bureaucracy: you create an account where you must prove that you need to work to pay your expenses - but if you couldn't pay your tuition without a job, they refuse you access on the basis that you have no business being registered. No job to help you though.

Furiey
15-09-2010, 23:01
Sounds like me trying to get a teaching qualification. You need to have a number of hours teaching in order to start the qualification, but you can't get the hours until you have a qualification!

Lt. Killer M
16-09-2010, 10:31
Sounds like me trying to get a teaching qualification. You need to have a number of hours teaching in order to start the qualification, but you can't get the hours until you have a qualification!

[crazyeye]

Reminds me of what is happening here: "Legally, you have to have a public or in-house (how absurd can things get) job advertisement and a selection process involving the women's rights officer and the staff council for all jobs. Period." says our HR deparment.

So we have job advertisements and a selection process involving the women's rights officer and the staff council for jobs where the granting agency has limited pay to one specific person, i.e. an individual-related grant. Which vanishes into thin air if someone else get the job.....

Delay: 4 to 8 weeks
Reason: none - the cost-effectiveness laws and government rules only apply where cost-effectivness can play a role.

[wallbash]

Lt. Killer M
12-10-2010, 11:23
[crazyeye]
further delay: 8 to 16 weeks, because some moron was incapable to do c&p.

seriously. they made a c&p mistake, and that has been holding things up since mid-July!

[wallbash]

I already called the boss, tomorrow I will call the head of DFG.

Shabbaman
12-10-2010, 11:41
Copying and pasting is harder than you think. It's an art. Actually, it's a work process called data replication.

ProPain
12-10-2010, 19:54
we call that the 'randstad interface'

Lt. Killer M
13-10-2010, 22:12
sometimes, calling the boss is a good idea.

I have the PDF of the letter granting the funding for three years :)

Furiey
13-10-2010, 22:22
You certainly had to work to get that, definitley time to celebrate!

socralynnek
13-10-2010, 23:31
Well done and congratulations!

Now, when is that Jurassic Park thing opening? ;-)

ProPain
14-10-2010, 01:28
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Lt. Killer M
14-10-2010, 07:50
thanks, gals/guys :D

Darkness
14-10-2010, 08:43
Great news Killer. :)

So, can we expect another rant in 3 years? ;)

Beam
14-10-2010, 10:32
Congratulations Killer!

Lt. Killer M
14-10-2010, 10:35
Great news Killer. :)

So, can we expect another rant in 3 years? ;)

I don't think it's gonna take that long :(

btw, more great news: the director of my institution is leaving! YAY!