PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure to buy civ 5

Rik Meleet
05-08-2010, 18:42
I've read up on that other site's discussion on Civ 5 and Steam and all. And I'm now not so sure to buy civ 5, since I'd like to own a disc to always play a game without the need to go online and receive Steam's blessing for me to play it. I really think this Steam set-up is a bad idea.

What's your opinion?

BCLG100
05-08-2010, 18:56
You can set it so you only need to go online once and still buy it with a disc, unfortunately this seems to be the way forward in terms of games so I don't really see any way to avoid it!

Socrates
05-08-2010, 19:21
I don't really see any way to avoid it!

Stop playing (and buying) their games ? :confused:

Matrix
05-08-2010, 19:34
I dislike Steam quite a lot. But having to be online is less cumbersome than having to insert the DVD every time. [tongue]

Silly Socrates, the way to avoid annoying commercials on tv is not watching tv, I suppose?
If one wants to play Civ5, and most of us do, then there might be no way to avoid Steam. [rolleyes]

Furiey
05-08-2010, 21:02
As BCLG says. Personally I prefer Steam to SafeDisc or SecuRom and a disc in the drive all the time.

grahamiam
05-08-2010, 22:08
I have a lot of games on Steam, so no issues with it. I prefer other online stores (Impulse since they avoid DRM for the most part), but Steam is not, for me, a reason to avoid buying Civ 5. However, some of the gameplay changes they are making are giving me pause...

Socrates
05-08-2010, 23:16
Silly Socrates, the way to avoid annoying commercials on tv is not watching tv, I suppose?

My case. [^] TV is almost pointless anyway !

Robi D
06-08-2010, 00:05
I've bought a couple of games that use steam and despite some inital reservations i've found no issues with it. If anything i'd be holding off on buying civ 5 to see how many bugs it has that will need a patch to come out a couple of months after its release

barbu1977
06-08-2010, 02:52
What happens when steam is out of business and I want to install the game 5 years from now?

Shabbaman
06-08-2010, 09:38
Nobody knows. Valve is considering removing the DRM from games they no longer support, but since they're still supporting all their games it's pointless to debate that. And Valve is not the publisher of the game, it's up to 2K what they do with it. There are two sides to this: playing multiplayer will be impossible, as you can't join servers. But this is something that doesn't have anything to do with Steam, but rather with the fact that 2K wants to control who's playing online. This is the ultimate form of copyright protection for most games (since most games are played online these days). You can play single player in offline mode, so that should still be possible. For most games there are workarounds anyway.

FYI, there's a discussion on Steam here (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5119).

Rik Meleet
06-08-2010, 12:48
I dislike Steam quite a lot. But having to be online is less cumbersome than having to insert the DVD every time. [tongue]

If one wants to play Civ5, and most of us do, then there might be no way to avoid Steam. [rolleyes]Or wait for a hack.

I have 0 experience with Steam and frankly Steam itself (and its functionality) is not the reason for my hesitation. It's the fact that I don't like to be forced to do actions in order to play a game that are in itself unrelated to playing the game, combined with the fact that I do not seem to own the game and use it as I see fit.

Stapel
06-08-2010, 13:19
Or wait for a hack.

I have 0 experience with Steam and frankly Steam itself (and its functionality) is not the reason for my hesitation. It's the fact that I don't like to be forced to do actions in order to play a game that are in itself unrelated to playing the game, combined with the fact that I do not seem to own the game and use it as I see fit.

I can see your point. I dislike the compulsary registration as much as you do.

However, there is a way of reagarding from the other side. I've some experience as a sales rep for software companies, so I can see what's going on.

As a consumer, you do NOT own the game. You merely buy the right to play the game. The owner of the game simply wants you to prove that you indeed paid the user fee.

Rik Meleet
06-08-2010, 14:20
They are doing the opposite right now -> driving me towards variants that do not require all this extra nonsense. And those variants happen to be free.

BTW; I do think you buy more than just 'the right to play the game'. As that is going to limit software companies against piracy, since having the software in your library is not illegal; merely playing the game without having the right, is.

grahamiam
07-08-2010, 19:57
Rock Paper Shogun preview (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/06/a-dozen-or-so-hours-with-civilization-v/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+RockPaperShotgun+(Rock,+Paper,+ Shotgun)&utm_content=My+Yahoo)

Stapel
08-08-2010, 11:21
Rock Paper Shogun preview (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/06/a-dozen-or-so-hours-with-civilization-v/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+RockPaperShotgun+(Rock,+Paper,+ Shotgun)&utm_content=My+Yahoo)

What an incredibly poor written article that is!

Matrix
08-08-2010, 12:25
"poorly written"

Shabbaman
08-08-2010, 14:40
There's a hands-on on Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5602257/400-turns-of-civilization-v) as well.

Darkness
10-08-2010, 09:51
Am I completely missing the point of this thread here or won't it be possible to buy Civ V at a regular store and just play it from the disc?

Real question, BTW. I guess I am just a bit dumb this morning... :(

Darkness
10-08-2010, 10:23
Never mind my previous post. Figured it out. So you need Steam to register you have a legitimate copy, to get patched and to play online... I must say I dislike this development quite a lot.

But then again, I like my social life as it is right now, so there's a very good chance I won't be buying the game anyway. :)

Shabbaman
11-08-2010, 09:21
Are you implying that civ5 would make your life miserable?

Matrix
11-08-2010, 12:00
No, apparently he only played Civ when he felt miserable. [slanteye]

Socrates
11-08-2010, 12:24
No, apparently he only played Civ when he felt miserable. [slanteye]

Hey he's probably not the only one in this case. :D

Rik Meleet
11-08-2010, 12:51
Never mind my previous post. Figured it out. So you need Steam to register you have a legitimate copy, to get patched and to play online... I must say I dislike this development quite a lot. You need Steam to just simply play the game, even without patches or playing online. You cannot get the game to work without Steam.

Darkness
11-08-2010, 13:05
Are you implying that civ5 would make your life miserable?

No, I am saying that I have different priorities right now compared to 5-10 years ago when I played Civ far more than I do right now.

Now there are just more things that take precedence over playing Civ, so I don't have all that much time to play anyway. And if the publisher then starts making things compulsory to even play the game, then my interest fades even further. I miss the old times when you could just buy a game in a store and just play it. I guess the "gamer" in me is just growing old. ;)

Darkness
11-08-2010, 13:07
You need Steam to just simply play the game, even without patches or playing online. You cannot get the game to work without Steam.

I realize that. I probably just didn't phrase it that well in my previous post. Nice monopoly position for Steam... [rolleyes]

Shabbaman
11-08-2010, 13:23
The other option is that the monopoly lies with the people that aren't paying for the games they play.

Darkness
11-08-2010, 14:26
The other option is that the monopoly lies with the people that aren't paying for the games they play.

Which probably was the main (only) argument 2K needed to implement this "solution", I think. I'm not saying it's wrong for them to have done so, I am just saying it is an additional argument for me to consider not buying the game. :)

Matrix
11-08-2010, 14:54
Everything is crackable. The more annoying the security measures are, the more people will use a cracked version.

I probably will buy the game, though. I already installed Steam because of Shabba's tip for that funny strategic space game, I'm still a big enough fan of Civilization in general and no too principle on these matters.

Shabbaman
11-08-2010, 15:15
But you already had Steam for col2...

Matrix
11-08-2010, 16:24
That was on another pc.

Robboo
12-08-2010, 13:40
Speaking of social life or life in general... my wife saw me reading the Civ 5 reviews. her comment..." Oh shit see you in a few years."

She also didnt seem too upset either...that worries me. She also started looking for a new computer. I think she wants me to disappear.

Furiey
12-08-2010, 13:41
At least she knows where you are and what you're doing!

ProPain
13-08-2010, 19:30
You need Steam to just simply play the game, even without patches or playing online. You cannot get the game to work without Steam.

I doubt that, as Steam has a 'Play offline' function that works fine. Used this for my steam games while on holiday without any problem. Also I read somewhere you need Steam for a one time activation only. Although that will prolly only be correct if you never upgrade.

OTOH, I can imagine that after a while we get a patch that doesnt require steam any more as we did with the last CIV4 patch that contained the no-deo solution.

Shabbaman
14-08-2010, 09:58
You need Steam to activate the game.

failedreality
24-08-2010, 22:07
Speaking of social life or life in general... my wife saw me reading the Civ 5 reviews. her comment..." Oh shit see you in a few years."

She also didnt seem too upset either...that worries me. She also started looking for a new computer. I think she wants me to disappear.

lol that is pretty funny....

grahamiam
07-09-2010, 03:04
I've succumbed to the media hype and pre-ordered...

Shabbaman
09-09-2010, 13:10
Media hype? I would've bought it anyway.

ProPain
10-09-2010, 12:34
Havent preordered but pretty sure I'll buy it anyway. It's still civ after all.

I don't expect that the civ virus of the civ 2 & 3 days will return though, just can't afford to spend so much time on gaming anymore.

But I expect to be fully available again when Civ 11 hits the shelves around my retirement :)

Shabbaman
10-09-2010, 13:13
I don't know. I don't have the time for it like I had for civ3, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I've figured out that it were all the new features in the expansions plus the multiplayer that killed my casual interest in civ4. So as long as I steer away from those I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Shabbaman
13-09-2010, 22:04
I'm already preloading civ5 at the moment :)

Furiey
13-09-2010, 22:22
If I get the gameplay hours out of it even half that I've got out of 3 or 4 then it will work out as very cheap entertainment. I'll probably order over the next few days or so.

grahamiam
14-09-2010, 05:02
I feel a tingle somewhere nice [yeah]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/grahamiam/CIVPreloading.png

ProPain
14-09-2010, 08:16
I totally agree with you Furiey. Although I didn't spend as much time with Civ4 as with Civ 2 & 3 (especially 3) I;m pretty sure that if I spend an equal amount of time with Civ V as with IV it will be a great deal.

If you go pubbing you'll be hard pressed to spend just 40 euro's (at least I am) and usually a game of civ has me occupied much longer than just one evening.

socralynnek
14-09-2010, 09:15
@grahamiam: So, this preload thing now takes until the official release date until it is completely loaded?

Money spent on Civ4: 70 Euros. Hours played: don't know: probably over thousand
So cent / hour: below 7 cent. I guess, I have a lot of other stuff with much less return on investment...

Still: I won't buy it in the next few months, I am fine with playing Civ4 for the time being.

Shabbaman
14-09-2010, 09:58
@grahamiam: So, this preload thing now takes until the official release date until it is completely loaded?

I downloaded the whole thing between the time I posted it and when I went to bed. So within the hour. It almost seems to fast to be true.

Furiey
14-09-2010, 10:32
Fast internet connections are wonderful things. I'd rather give up the TV!

Furiey
15-09-2010, 22:53
I've been a naughty girl - preloading now...

ProPain
15-09-2010, 23:22
Everytime I see that advertisement at Steam, I'm so tempted to prebuy as well......

Which version did you buy?

Furiey
15-09-2010, 23:59
I went all out- got the Deluxe version for Babylon from D2D. So also downloading Civ 3 to replace my dodgy disc.

Shabbaman
16-09-2010, 10:37
Everytime I see that advertisement at Steam, I'm so tempted to prebuy as well......

Which version did you buy?

I got it on Steam, since you need Steam for it anyway. If you get it somewhere else you're dependent on three parties instead of two.

Furiey
16-09-2010, 11:49
D2D only give you an activation key, no 3rd party involvement beyond that. Then you download off steam as if you bought it there. If the download was from D2D I would have bought from steam.

Shabbaman
16-09-2010, 13:14
That's pretty neat.

ProPain
16-09-2010, 13:27
Seems D2D isn't allowed to sell Civ V in the Netherlands, doesn't appear in the offer list at least. So I guess we'll be stuck with Steam anyway when it comes to digital distribution. Pity cause D2D seems quite a bit cheaper than Steam itself.

Beam
16-09-2010, 16:01
What is the price at Steam? And has anybody in NL seen it priced lower than the damned EUR 49,99?

Shabbaman
16-09-2010, 16:43
What is the price at Steam? And has anybody in NL seen it priced lower than the damned EUR 49,99?

Sure. (http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/262162/sid-meiers-civilization-v-pc.html)

Beam
16-09-2010, 17:24
Thanks, 34,95 is reasonable imo

Shabbaman
16-09-2010, 17:41
Definately, although I don't think I'm uncomfortable with the 50 euro's I spend for it on Steam. At least this way I don't have to wait for the mailman... and you know chances are pretty high that you'll only get mail once every three weeks these days ;) But then again, there's still the free demo.

Don't forget to join the CDZ steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CivDuelZone)!

grahamiam
16-09-2010, 18:27
Don't forget to join the CDZ steam group (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CivDuelZone)!

Shabba, with CivV coming, I think a link to this should be on the front page as well :)

ProPain
16-09-2010, 19:17
Definately, although I don't think I'm uncomfortable with the 50 euro's I spend for it on Steam. At least this way I don't have to wait for the mailman... [/url]!

Exactly the reason why I think I'm gonna go steam as well. And tempted to go deluxe edition as well.....

Darkness
19-09-2010, 13:07
Stupid question probably, but if you buy a new computer, can you install games on the new machine that you've previously bought on steam for your old machine without having to re-buy it on steam?

Shabbaman
19-09-2010, 13:41
No, you can just reinstall it. As a matter of fact, I think you can install the game on multiple computers simultaneously, as long as your steam account is on it.

Furiey
19-09-2010, 14:30
Yes, the games are tied to your steam account not a specific computer, so install steam (and all your games) on as many computers as you want. Steam will limit you to playing on one at a time. If you save your games in the steam cloud (which I think Civ 5 uses) you can access your saves from any machine without having to manually transfer them.

ProPain
19-09-2010, 20:02
@darkness

This is the real beauty of the system: no more disk hunting. Just select the games you wanna install and zee interweb does the rest :)

Darkness
21-09-2010, 20:28
@darkness

This is the real beauty of the system: no more disk hunting. Just select the games you wanna install and zee interweb does the rest :)

Thanks PP.

I'm downloading the demo now. Maybe I like it enough to pay 50 euro's :( for the complete game...

Furiey
21-09-2010, 21:03
It's certainly far from a cheap game. I just thought of £/hr play time and it doesn't sound so bad for entertainment value! (Got to justify it somehow)

Darkness
21-09-2010, 21:44
I'm downloading the demo now.

I'm playing the demo now.

The hex map looks pretty good to me, but the interface takes some serious getting used to... I can't even find my treasury! :lol: And I can't find anywhere what my happyness cap is right now...

killercane
21-09-2010, 22:27
I'm playing the demo now.

The hex map looks pretty good to me, but the interface takes some serious getting used to... I can't even find my treasury! :lol: And I can't find anywhere what my happyness cap is right now...
At the top of the screen are your happies, kind of in the top middle left, if you mouse over it it will give you a breakdown.

Darkness
21-09-2010, 22:38
At the top of the screen are your happies, kind of in the top middle left, if you mouse over it it will give you a breakdown.

Thanks for that! :)

I've found my treasury now too.

The top bar from the game was just missing because the automatically selected screen resolution was too high... I know, old computer. All the leaders are blacked out too (negroid, I mean)...

ProPain
21-09-2010, 23:12
reading all this I think we'll see some patches in the near future :)

Rik Meleet
23-09-2010, 10:23
After reading some enthousiastic reviews (especially http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=380899) I am sort of caving. I'm registering for Steam and downloading their software for the ciV DEMO. Still not sure to buy ciV...

Darkness
23-09-2010, 11:00
After reading some enthousiastic reviews (especially http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=380899) I am sort of caving. I'm registering for Steam and downloading their software for the ciV DEMO. Still not sure to buy ciV...

I caved too... (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5197) [blush]

Furiey
23-09-2010, 11:14
I've resisted downloading the demo as well, not really got time for it until Friday anyway.

ProPain
23-09-2010, 14:45
I've resisted downloading the demo as well, not really got time for it until Friday anyway.

Very much the same for me...although reading all these stories has made me very curious....

akots
23-09-2010, 14:55
I've played a game up to turn 160. It is actually quite good although a bit messy and needs a couple of patches. Otherwise, it is very well worth the score given by IGN or Gamespot or other sites (around 9.0). The game is good, exceptionally complex and certainly, the feeling is better than for Civ4. AI is not bad but not brilliant. This is the main impression, so I would strongly advise to try it out at least. So far, I'm quite enjoying.

grahamiam
23-09-2010, 18:39
I agree, the single player game is quite good. I've completed 1 game (had to fulfill my requirement of killing Monty) and will start another tonight. I played on a small continents map with 4 AI and 4-6 City States. Map size was quite nice for a tight game.

I think I'll start leaving Civ4 behind, other than the 1 pitboss and 1 game I have going with my oldest son. Plus, I'm already getting "G" and "M" mixed up when I switch from Civ4 to 5 :)

Beorn
23-09-2010, 19:25
Still buggy, whether on DX9 or DX11. I have managed to complete 2 games and both were painstaking in reloads. I think it has something to do with cinematics, some leaders don't agree with my computer, some work better. But even if I play on a duel sized map with only leaders that work, it crashes every 20 turns. I'm giving up for the time being and waiting for a patch.

Embark is great, policies lack versatility, combat is lovely.

ProPain
23-09-2010, 21:02
not possible to turn the cinematics off?

Beorn
23-09-2010, 21:15
Nope, and even on minimal settings it doesn't want to work. Either it crashes by itself right in the middle of it, or I click goodbye and it crashes.

grahamiam
23-09-2010, 21:27
not possible to turn the cinematics off?

You can turn the leader detail scene quality down to "low", but I don't think you can make them static or turn them off.

I do want to root around in the ini file, to see if I can turn off movies, etc. Will let you know what I find.

File is located -> My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civilization 5\usersettings.ini

grahamiam
24-09-2010, 04:50
In that same directory, there are 4 ini files for the game. UserSettings, config, GraphicsSettingsDX11, GraphicsSettingsDX9

In the config.ini file, I found the following line:
; Set to 1 to disable LeaderHead system
LeaderHead = 0

Haven't messed with it yet, may want to try.

Beorn
24-09-2010, 05:34
Nice find :) I tried it and I still crash in leader cinematics though, but they take less time to load prior to crashing :p

ProPain
24-09-2010, 07:32
well at least that saves some time :)

Furiey
24-09-2010, 12:21
There's a 26MB patch out this morning.

One issue I did have - the opening video ran like crap although the game was smooth with everything on High. At least you can turn that off in the user setting files. I'm not sure if I ever watched it all the way through on Civ 4 or 3 before disabling it there either.

Shabbaman
24-09-2010, 19:56
Did anyone figure out yet how to get rid of that annoying intro movie?

grahamiam
24-09-2010, 20:00
Setting is in the "usersettings.ini" file. You get a blank screen while the game loads (about 10 seconds), then it goes straight to the first screen after the movie.

Furiey
24-09-2010, 21:07
Yes, it's in UserSettings.ini (In your My Games\Civ 5 folder) about 10 lines or so down

Change it to:

SkipIntroVideo = 1

Beorn
25-09-2010, 07:39
With this patch I went from crashing by default and sometimes passing diplo, to passing diplo half the time except with Siam, which seems to crash more (maybe others too, didn't play all of them yet).

I went from randomly crashing every 5 turns to every 20, which also is an improvement.

It is, however, no way to ship a game.

Shabbaman
25-09-2010, 11:05
I know how you feel: I have played Battlefield 2 :mad: But I have to admit the game is running stable at my machine. So far... I surely hope Firaxis makes use of Steam in the same way Valve does: by turning out a large amount of fixes. But then again, we know Firaxis...

:mad:

Robi D
25-09-2010, 15:15
From what i'm reading i'm happy with my decision to wait a while before buying the game

Beorn
27-09-2010, 19:58
With these Specs:
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (fresh drivers)
Asus P5QL/EPU motherboard with integrated VIA high def audio
Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 of them)
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium

Civ5 runs like a charm. That is, if you like it quiet. I'll upload my motherboard drivers to see if it changes anything but atm sounds make the game crash. Sounds are also necessary for unit promotions. Sue me why.

The game takes longer and longer on IBTs, naturally, but it never gets overly chippy or laggy. It's better than when I first started Civ4 with my older computer.

grahamiam
27-09-2010, 22:13
Interestling enough, VIA just released an update on Sept 16th [hmm]. Wonder if Asus updated thiers?

Furiey
27-09-2010, 23:14
Steam has just downloaded another patch for me...

Version 1.0.0.20

Patchnotes (source (http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89117)):

Modding - Installer and permissions fixes. Should address any remaining mod download and install issues.
Full screen crash fix. Game will now restart in Windowed mode if it cannot find a suitable full-screen resolution on first start.
Hall of Fame now records data correctly when using a Windows username with special characters.
Deal expiration fixes.
Fix for Puppet State production exploit.
Misc crash fixes.

Beorn
28-09-2010, 03:40
New audio drivers, new motherboard drivers, new civ patch, same old crashing.

Shabbaman
28-09-2010, 09:27
Puppet state production exploit, hm, what do they mean?

Robboo
29-09-2010, 04:25
Steam has just downloaded another patch for me...

Version 1.0.0.20

Patchnotes (source (http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89117)):

Modding - Installer and permissions fixes. Should address any remaining mod download and install issues.
Full screen crash fix. Game will now restart in Windowed mode if it cannot find a suitable full-screen resolution on first start.
Hall of Fame now records data correctly when using a Windows username with special characters.
Deal expiration fixes.
Fix for Puppet State production exploit.
Misc crash fixes.

I must be stupid or maybe my computer is.... i cant see the download or how to get it. i purchased via download at steam

Beorn
29-09-2010, 05:39
Shut down steam completely and restart it, online, then it should dl automatically. Did you have the previous version or is this a fresh install?

Robboo
29-09-2010, 06:06
Shut down steam completely and restart it, online, then it should dl automatically. Did you have the previous version or is this a fresh install?

I had the orginal version.. Steam will now be alwasy shut down and I will activate it. some how i never killed it since i played almost every day since i got teh game...

Of course i downloaded Lara croft for my wife to play so now...steam will get never shut down

Darkness
29-09-2010, 08:56
I had the orginal version.. Steam will now be alwasy shut down and I will activate it. some how i never killed it since i played almost every day since i got teh game...

Of course i downloaded Lara croft for my wife to play so now...steam will get never shut down

Don't you ever turn off the computer then? That should be a fairly simple way to shut down steam once in a while...

Shabbaman
29-09-2010, 09:10
I don't think you'd have to restart Steam to start the update. I wouldn't be suprised if you got the patch without noticing.

Furiey
29-09-2010, 10:29
It should have downloaded automatically, sometimes a restart of steam is required but they usually tell you. Have a look at the civ 5 .exe file. The version number should tell you.

Beam
07-10-2010, 13:19
What does the recently not so overwhelming number of posts about Civ V mean? Still not good, not interesting, everybody is learning to play, s'thing else?

I ordered Intel I5 based gear today and to be delivered next week, just like to know if the game is worth buying already or shall I wait until it is going to be discounted.

Darkness
07-10-2010, 13:59
What does the recently not so overwhelming number of posts about Civ V mean? Still not good, not interesting, everybody is learning to play, s'thing else?

I'm still playing it and learning the game. I like the basics of the game, though I must admit that there are serious balance issues. Unit upgrades (I've upgraded scouts up to pikemen and multiple occasions) are ridiculous. City States are way too easily exploited. The different Civ traits seem to be quite unbalanced. Some are quite good (Alexander, Darius), while others are completely useless (Elizabeth, Catherine). Some unique units are way too strong (companion cavalry (Greece) for instance) and the same goes for some unique buildings (Paper maker (China)). The AI doesn't deal very well with 1 unit per tile and the game appears to be easier than Civ4, also on higher difficulty levels. Another big issue: The AI is absolutely helpless against horseman. It simply has no defense for them, even on deity.

I see loads of potential, and good new ideas for the game, but the implementations (especially for the AI) of these ideas leave a lot to be desired. Some serious patching is needed (especially for multiplayer, because the current game would be woefully unbalanced, and any win would more than likely be the result of some random lucky event or map generation (a couple of close maritime or cultural city states for example)...

But after a few patches, I believe this could be a very good game. Definately Civilization-worthy, IMHO.

Shabbaman
07-10-2010, 14:03
I'm with Darkness on this one. And Beam, just try the free demo.

Beorn
07-10-2010, 17:49
I agree with the distateful randomness and need to patch bugs (I still cannot play the game with sounds and without sounds I can't promote units(!) - I'm in warmonger hell), but I'm only not playing because I've got an essay to write for December and 40 bad copies of elementary school didactics homeworks to grade for tomorrow.

grahamiam
07-10-2010, 19:06
I've been playing pretty much every night, focusing for the last week or so on cultural victories. I'm enjoying it and have gotten my money's worth.

ProPain
07-10-2010, 20:58
- fun game in SP, albeit unbalanced ( see other posts for details)
- still have to have a go at MP, but when I do it will be just for fun and not too serious as the game is way to unbalanced for MP
- AI way easier than Civ IV and easier abusable
- Some stuff is explained badly if at all (like what the fuck is the use of a 'pact of secrecy????)
- You're gonna need a serious machine/graphics card to have this running smoothly in the late game.

Personally I consider this to be a SP civilization which coexists with Civ IV. V is more of a leisurely game, sort Civ Rev bumped up. IV is more of an old school civ, more difficult and balanced, harder to master.

Furiey
07-10-2010, 21:26
I pretty much agree with what's been said. I'm enjoying it but it is different and from what I've read it's best to forget about multiplayer at the moment - you can't save, can't rejoin a game if you're disconnected to name but a few annoyances. Hopefully once they release the pitboss it may be debugged enough to be worth a try.

My PC (i7 6GB ATI DX11) plays it pretty smoothly and I've yet to run into problems with excessive lag, although I've yet yo play large maps.

Beam
14-10-2010, 18:36
:D :D

http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=396&stc=1&d=1287073980

ProPain
14-10-2010, 20:58
So, are you playing already or still downloading/checking file integrity?

Beam
14-10-2010, 23:22
Well, my i5 arrived today and I just finished setting up the core Ubuntu / Win7 installation. Played the first 10 turns or so from the default Civ V start-a-game and technically it runs like a charm. Expect more play this weekend. :)

Shabbaman
15-10-2010, 09:57
Nice download speed.

socralynnek
15-10-2010, 10:07
Beam: You are playing via Linux or do you have Win7 as parallel installation?

Beam
18-10-2010, 13:14
The i5 I bought had Win 7 pre-installed and is the OS running Civ V. Afaik the WINE / Cedega community has not managed yet to run it with Linux. :(

Stapel
19-10-2010, 07:14
I got things running, but ridiculously slow...

What bugs me the most: Once more, the AI is sooooooooo stupid, when it comes to fighting wars....

Shabbaman
19-10-2010, 09:25
What's "slow" exactly? Have you tuned the graphics settings down? And yeah, the AI doesn't know what to do with units. Apparently sticking all these units in a big stack of doom is just an easy strategy that can impress human opponents...

The thing is, they just don't build enough units. In my previous game I donated two foreign legions (infy) to a city state that was at war with Montezuma. The aztecs mostly had rifles, but the city state could capture (and hold) one city and raze another (which is interesting in itself btw). It's not that the AI is completely retarded, but it needs more incentive to keep units closer together and to upgrade or replace their units. That seems something that could be fixed with a patch, but I'm not sure the AI will be able to properly use 1 unit per tile.

Also: teachers and their holidays, bah...

grahamiam
19-10-2010, 15:06
I was running very slow in DX10 until I updated my video drivers. If yours are up-to-date, try running in DX9 mode as it should be easier on older video cards.

Stapel
19-10-2010, 15:27
What's "slow" exactly? Have you tuned the graphics settings down?
It's a grpahic thing. Scrolling takes ages. Even typing the name of a save file takes a while. My PC is simply not up to it. I do run things in an abslote minimum mode!

And yeah, the AI doesn't know what to do with units. Apparently sticking all these units in a big stack of doom is just an easy strategy that can impress human opponents...

The thing is, they just don't build enough units. In my previous game I donated two foreign legions (infy) to a city state that was at war with Montezuma. The aztecs mostly had rifles, but the city state could capture (and hold) one city and raze another (which is interesting in itself btw). It's not that the AI is completely retarded, but it needs more incentive to keep units closer together and to upgrade or replace their units. That seems something that could be fixed with a patch, but I'm not sure the AI will be able to properly use 1 unit per tile.

I've nearly finished my first game (Prince level, me+3AIs, 8 City States on pangea). When there were 3 CityStates left. I bought one firmly into an alliance and decided to conquer the nearsest of the other two. This tickled a massive War-against-Stapel. The 3 AIs and the CS declared war.

-Most of my troops where in the east, where the CS was.
-In the north, the Iroquois kept sending the odd obsolete unit, hardly worth mentioning
-In the northwest, the English did sent quite an impressive army
-In the far west, the Japanese had a modest collection of troops, but this area of my realm was rather poorly defended, as most cities were former Japanese settlements, still under 'puppetment'.

I decided to transport all my troops to the English front. This would result in the calculated loss of one city to the Japanese. Unfortunately, this did not make me succeed in defending a rather big city. I lost it to the English, though it did cost them a lot. Two turns later, I got it back, but it was heavily plundered.

To my surprise, I was able to fend of the English troops with great ease, form this moment. Every other turn, an infantry was sent in. In the end, possibly about a dozen or so. They were all consequently killed by my solitairy artillery, with only the aid of the city bombardment.

Then, after 25 turns, finally the peace negotiations screen would open. And the English suddenly offered all cities (about 6), for peace! That just stinks!

Also: teachers and their holidays, bah...
:D

ProPain
21-10-2010, 19:05
The AI is really weird when it comes to CS aggression. Just like Stapel I experienced AI+CS ganging up on me under the pretext that I'm picking on the weak in several games. In my current game 2 CS even went into permanent war with me because of my agression against CS's. During this game I attacked & conquered 2 city states, one of them even started a war against me first. After this incident I liberated 2 other city states from the evil Romans: no CS reallt cares, state of permanent war remains. I think this kind of AI behavious sucks.

As noted by many the AI really doesn't know how to handle 1PT and Ranged attack. I've seen a few AI sending in a sizeable force but with such idiot placement that a few fast units and, one ranged unit and city bombing wiped them in 2 turns. For the most I see the AI sending in line troops with 1 turn intervals. Easy to pick of with city bombardment and a support unit.

What puzzles me as well is :
- I have a weak civ declare on me while I had been friendly with them all the game. I totally wipe them of the map and they refused to make peace even when a slew of units is ready to take the last city they own. Very, very annoying as this forces you to take all their cities and raze them (because of happy cap) With razing taking a few turns, this can really hurt your economy.
- In my last game Russia owns 20+ cities and ghas fewer happy resources than I do. I'm struggling to keep my happy cap up building happy buildings as much as I can. Russia apparently doesnt have this problem and is boasting a production per turn that is 50% higher than mine, while I have been very production focused. This game is on prince level so I dont expect the AI to have a lot of 'cheating perks' Still dunno how Catherine is managing this.

Shabbaman
21-10-2010, 22:03
Well, I guess she is building happiness buildings and you are not. And rightfully so.

Darkness
21-10-2010, 22:15
- In my last game Russia owns 20+ cities and ghas fewer happy resources than I do. I'm struggling to keep my happy cap up building happy buildings as much as I can. Russia apparently doesnt have this problem and is boasting a production per turn that is 50% higher than mine, while I have been very production focused. This game is on prince level so I dont expect the AI to have a lot of 'cheating perks' Still dunno how Catherine is managing this.

I noticed the same in one of my games. But Russia gets double the resources from iron, horses and uranium, so if she has a lot of those maybe she's selling/trading those to other AI's for luxuries?

ProPain
22-10-2010, 00:16
@shabba, I;m building those happy buildings as well. I have to so I dont drop below 0 happiness.

@darkness: she might be trading for luxes, but when I look at the trade menu I can see which luxes we can trade. This effectively tells you what luxes she has and she has a few luxes less than I have. Interestingly most her cities are rather small and she behind me in totall pop. That will account for some of the difference but otoh a city is 2 unhappy by itself and I also own the Forbidden Palace which reduces my unhappiness by 11 points or so. All in all, a bit weird.

akots
22-10-2010, 00:51
Since you conquered somebody, this adds extra unhappiness which she might not have building all the cities herself. Also, you need to consider culture and civics and some of these have large happiness boost. AI is crazy about happiness, it is its number 1 priority. Build orders may be Monument-Coliseum-Circus-etc. Sometimes, AI can even buy happiness buildings if she has the extra cash.

With regard to production, she might be in golden age to get extra hammers.Also, Windmills and Forges have high priority for AI as well. All hills are mined and AI works the plains which are usually farmed and sets engineers. IMO, it is quite possible. If you have puppets, they don't focus on production but on growth for some reason. Should be corrected in a patch.

Stapel
22-10-2010, 07:38
About happiness, as Akots said, civics & culture do matter a lot.

For the most I see the AI sending in line troops with 1 turn intervals. Easy to pick of with city bombardment and a support unit.

That's far better worded what I meant! This reminds me of early 90s Dune2 & Command&Conquer. The AI would send in massive lines of units, always to the same spot, so a well placed battery of turrets would do. The only difference on higher levels/difficulty was that the line of units was faster...

socralynnek
22-10-2010, 09:26
From what I heard and read so far, I didn't miss much not having Civ5 ( I don't have the time to play much anyway so it isn't a problem if the time I play goes into Civ IV)

Especially the AI needs some overhaul, but some game mechanics are flawed. Maybe I enter CivV with the second expansion pack when it's really better than Civ IV...

Shabbaman
22-10-2010, 11:38
Sometimes, AI can even buy happiness buildings if she has the extra cash.

Well, so could you. They only cost a lot of upkeep, I'd rather buy another city state for some luxury resources. Easy calculation: 250 gold for 30 turns of friendship (after the initial investment) is 8.3 gpt. If you have a, dunno, coliseum in 4 cities that costs something like 4x2=8 gpt for 2 happy faces? City states seems the better option.

ProPain
22-10-2010, 12:30
Well, in this particular game I alrdy have all lux resources available and have build quite some happiness buildings as well. My puppets are also building quite some happiness buildings. Seems they do watch what you need and actually build that. Kudos to them.

Russia didn't build all it's cities, most were conquered from other players and CS.I'm leaning towards the civic explanation, Catherine got the pious title pretty quickly. I never read the manual but I suspect that means she completed the Piety civic branch.

grahamiam
22-10-2010, 16:57
There's several civics and wonders that boost happiness from resources and others that reduce unhappiness. Forbidden Palace works well, as well as the Civic tree that helps with City State relations (Patronage, one of them doubles the effects from resources, iirc). Also, happiness only really effects food, so if you ally with a Maratine City State or 3, you can offset the effect while at the same time boosting research via the "Cultured Diplomacy" Policy in the Patronage tree.

I really think Patronage is very powerful in this game. If you complete the entire tree, you get resource boosts, happiness boost, gifted great people, and a research boost. Ally with a militaristic city state, and they gift you units, usually the latest and greatest available.

Another good Civic for happiness is Order, which goes along with Patronage imho. Adopting it immediately boosts production, while another early policy (United front) helps slow down city-state influence degradation. Further, Planned Economy reduces unhappiness from # of cities. So, with Planned Economy and Forbidden Palace, you should get a pretty big unhappiness reduction.

Socrates
01-11-2010, 16:29
This succession game (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392335) hosted by Sullla is worth a read. Looks like Civ5 is in bad shape. [xx(]

I'm glad I quit playing the franchise a while ago ; it is now targetted at a wider, less demanding audience, and doesn't seem to be a serious strategy game anymore.

Robi D
18-11-2010, 02:47
I finally got around to playing civ5. A neighbour of mine got a less than official copy to try the game out and knowing my civ addiction invited me over to give it a go. I've read a bit about some of the issues with the game but i went into it with an open mind but at the end of 5 or so hours of playing i have to say the game overall is a big let down. There are positives but the negatives just can't be overcome.

The graphics look great, definate improvement but this is a strategy game, just looking pretty isn't going give the game lasting appeal.

I think city states are a great idea to bring some variety to the game, especially in SP mode but whats the point of a great feature if it doesn't work. The benefits are way too overpowered and way too easy to exploit. The amount of gold you have to pay to keep a CS sweet is a nothing compared to the benefit you get in return. It like giving someone $10000 and them paying you back by giving you a $100000 ferrari. Way way way out of balance.

The new civics (i think they are call social policies) again as with CS it seems out of balance and some options seem overpowered. I wont be too critical as i didn't get my head around them properly, they are a bit more subtle in progression than the civ4 civics but to me anyway it felt like once you chose your path early you were more or less compelled to follow it as you would lose out by going a different way.

And what is with these pact of cooperation or secrecy. Now maybe the not so official civilopeadia was missing a few pages but whats the point of them being in the game if you don't have any info on what they do? Am i suppose to guess, or play to work it out? Is this what pass for adding depth to the game, having mechnisms you have no information about and what on the surface seem to do nothing. Fail!

The 1 unit per tile, auto city defences, embarking ect is all excellent. Took me a bit of time to get the hang of (after years of building SoD) to use the full potential of it but it definately adds to the strategy, which is what you want in a strategy game, but oh my god the AI is just soooo stupid, did they play test this thing, if so who play tested it, 3 yo's, chimps, a sack of assorted vegetables? I've read a fair bit about how bad but i found it hard to believe, i figured it had to be a bit of exaggeration but seeing it first hand, it is all too true sadly. Some people were being kind actually.

I could go on but to cut a long story slightly shorter the game has too many unbalanced feature, too many exploits that are really easy to find and to top it off an AI that can't play the game. Fail, fail, fail.

But in my eyes all of the above isn't the worst issue.

When civ4 came out back in 2005 it retailed for $70 (Australian of course). I checked out civ5 a few weeks ago, its price is $100. And its not just one store i checked a bunch of them, 100 is the going rate. Now i understand there is inflation but $30 worth in 5 years, 40%! I doubt that. But then i thought about and realised back in 05 $1 Aussie was about $0.75US, today its more or less 1 for 1, so in US dollar civ4 cost about $52.50, civ5 cost about $100 US. Double! WTF!!! They want me to play double for a game that is fundametally broken compared to one that worked (yes civ4 had its problems, but these were things that required a tweak not a complete fix up job) all i can say is thank god for less than official copies, cos if i had had to pay $100 for this pile of crap i'd be livid. Right now civ5 looks like in my eyes a pure money grab by trading on the reputation of a great name. They have put some extra gloss on the surface, but under the hood its a half finished game.

It has a lot of potential and it could be a great game, it could surpass civ 4, but as it is now its not even close. Shame really

Shabbaman
18-11-2010, 10:24
And what is with these pact of cooperation or secrecy. Now maybe the not so official civilopeadia was missing a few pages but whats the point of them being in the game if you don't have any info on what they do? Am i suppose to guess, or play to work it out? Is this what pass for adding depth to the game, having mechnisms you have no information about and what on the surface seem to do nothing. Fail!

It doesn't do anything. Well, it probably just does what it says in the diplo screen, which isn't much. It just makes the AI a little bit more friendly towards you. And seriously: who reads the manual?

The 1 unit per tile, auto city defences, embarking ect is all excellent. Took me a bit of time to get the hang of (after years of building SoD) to use the full potential of it but it definately adds to the strategy, which is what you want in a strategy game, but oh my god the AI is just soooo stupid, did they play test this thing, if so who play tested it, 3 yo's, chimps, a sack of assorted vegetables?

Heh. I've read up a bit on AI behaviour, and perhaps this can be tweaked by a reconfiguring AI tedencies. For example, the tendency to keep always keep a unit next to another unit. But this is a (unlikely) solution, why they published the game like this is beyond me. And you don't do chimps justice, they're way smarter than the AI. I'm not sure about the vegetables, as they lack opposable thumbs, but vegetables can't be any worse than the betatesters.

When civ4 came out back in 2005 it retailed for $70 (Australian of course). I checked out civ5 a few weeks ago, its price is $100. And its not just one store i checked a bunch of them, 100 is the going rate. Now i understand there is inflation but $30 worth in 5 years, 40%! I doubt that. But then i thought about and realised back in 05 $1 Aussie was about $0.75US, today its more or less 1 for 1, so in US dollar civ4 cost about $52.50, civ5 cost about $100 US. Double!

You're the first one who has brought this up. With the release of the ps3 and the xbox360 the suggested retail price of games has risen from 50 to 60 euro's, and I think from 50 to 60 USD as well (as most publishers just keep 1 euro = 1 dollar). I've paid something like 45 euro's for civ4, and 50 for civ5. I'm not up to par on aussie dollar exchange rates (and it's history), but it seems you're not really benefitting from it. BTW, up to two years ago Steam sold their games in USD, so all games were a third cheaper. Not anymore, unfortunately.

ProPain
18-11-2010, 11:13
And you don't do chimps justice, they're way smarter than the AI. I'm not sure about the vegetables, as they lack opposable thumbs, but vegetables can't be any worse than the betatesters.

lol

Now I never actually read the manual as I can't be bothered to print up a 100 pages I'll likely never read anyways but afaik the exact workings of the pact of secrecy aren't in the manual as well. On CFC I read that it's most important effect is that the civ you get it against is going to hate you. Makes you wonder how secret that pact really is :p

The complaints about the lack of info in the manual and civilopedia are numerous. What raised my eyebrow is that I saw a video where Sid Meier talked about the civ1 tech tree. He told his first idea was to keep it mysterious and with a random order so you never knew exactly what tech you were gonna get next. PLayers hated this, they wanted to know how to reach a certain tech so they could get there as fast as possible when their strategy required that and they changed it up. Morale of the story: players hate unknowns and randomness.

So they learned this at Civ I but messed it up here anyways :)

Robi D
18-11-2010, 12:55
And seriously: who reads the manual?

Well it is helpful when you don't know something.

Heh. I've read up a bit on AI behaviour, and perhaps this can be tweaked by a reconfiguring AI tedencies. For example, the tendency to keep always keep a unit next to another unit. But this is a (unlikely) solution, why they published the game like this is beyond me. And you don't do chimps justice, they're way smarter than the AI. I'm not sure about the vegetables, as they lack opposable thumbs, but vegetables can't be any worse than the betatesters.

My apologies to any chimps that have been insulted. To have the AI at a level where it couldn't fight its way out of a wet paper bag is a disgrace, in fact there might be insulted vegetables out there so sorry to them as well. A question that comes to my mind is how in the hell this game got such high reviews. Doesn't say much about the reviewers.

You're the first one who has brought this up. With the release of the ps3 and the xbox360 the suggested retail price of games has risen from 50 to 60 euro's, and I think from 50 to 60 USD as well (as most publishers just keep 1 euro = 1 dollar). I've paid something like 45 euro's for civ4, and 50 for civ5. I'm not up to par on aussie dollar exchange rates (and it's history), but it seems you're not really benefitting from it. BTW, up to two years ago Steam sold their games in USD, so all games were a third cheaper. Not anymore, unfortunately.

Yeah i notice the RRP went up a little while back. As far as the the Aussie dollar goes when civ5 was released in september it was at $0.95 US and it hasn't been under that since. The lowest its been this year was back in july at $0.85 US. So in my mind there is no reason the game should cost more than $70 AU, $80 at a maximum. To ask for $100, someone is taking a hefty slice for themselves.

The complaints about the lack of info in the manual and civilopedia are numerous. What raised my eyebrow is that I saw a video where Sid Meier talked about the civ1 tech tree. He told his first idea was to keep it mysterious and with a random order so you never knew exactly what tech you were gonna get next. PLayers hated this, they wanted to know how to reach a certain tech so they could get there as fast as possible when their strategy required that and they changed it up. Morale of the story: players hate unknowns and randomness.

So they learned this at Civ I but messed it up here anyways :)

Someone working there now obviously think they know better. Actually Soren in the vid you posted kind of touched on similar things a couple times, so why go against that in this game now? Its a good question

Darkness
18-11-2010, 13:00
Actually Soren in the vid you posted kind of touched on similar things a couple times, so why go against that in this game now? Its a good question

New lead designer?

Jon Shafer, aka "Trip", who we all know from the Civ3 intersite demogame as the biggest "know-it-all" to ever play Civ... :D

grahamiam
18-11-2010, 22:52
http://kotaku.com/5582531/layoffs-hit-civilization-v-creators

I'm guessing they were from AI quality control dept, but it could have been people working on the 3rd Firaxis title (ie, not CivV and not Facebook civ). Jesse Smith was layed off around that time too, wonder if he was clashing with some vision of Civ V (though he was heading up the cancelled project as well)

ProPain
18-11-2010, 23:38
I'm guessing they were from AI quality control dept,

ROFL

akots
19-11-2010, 02:08
There are no new numbers but it seems that sales of Civ5 are not that impressive. The only thing I was able to find is this:
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/43507/sid-meiers-civilization-v/

Have no idea how accurate it is. Total is about 0.5 million copies. Considering that a copy is on average $50, and subtracting share of 2K, retail dealers, and Steam, minus production expenses, Firaxis should be happy getting about $12-15 million. This is not a lot of money IMO, and they obviously have had many people working for them with decent salaries. In Maryland, $60K is a survival minimum and respectable programmers won't even consider anything less than $150K. Assuming all these 20 ppl worked for at least a year, that is just 3 million only in paychecks at the very least.

Also some local versions are included in this statistics. And these might be considerably cheaper. For example, Russian version of the game is sold on disks and as Steam codes for about $18-20, and this is absolutely legal product which checks for Russian IP address when activating the game. Australia is sort of crazy with that price of theirs and might be Japan also. So, may be, on average, it will be about $40, not $50. Also, due to low sales, game is discounted on Amazon by 10%. Some retailers sell it for $37 already while it is still less than 2 months on the market.

It would be very surprizing if Firaxis can survive this epic failure, I mean as a company. On the other hand, they have made a lot, really a lot of monies with Civ4 and addons. Which might help them to stay afloat.

Robi D
19-11-2010, 04:39
New lead designer?

Jon Shafer, aka "Trip", who we all know from the Civ3 intersite demogame as the biggest "know-it-all" to ever play Civ... :D

Wasn't around for that but i take your word for it

http://kotaku.com/5582531/layoffs-hit-civilization-v-creators

I'm guessing they were from AI quality control dept

I find it hard to believe they had an AI quality control dept at any stage

Australia is sort of crazy with that price of theirs and might be Japan also.

Not sure about Japan, their currency hasn't moved as much but it seems someone isn't passing on the fact that the Australian dollar has increased in value compared to the US and are now cashing in.

And speaking of value civ5 is $100, civ4 complete which includes both expansions and colonization $70. I know which offer i'd take if i was choosing

socralynnek
19-11-2010, 08:52
Yeah, I hope, Firaxis will be doing well enough to build a proper Expansion pack with better gameplay. Then I'll buy it... (Special edition of Civ5 is already available for 40€ at amazon.de; but as the reviews on that site for the game are bad, I guess they had to...)

ProPain
19-11-2010, 09:00
And speaking of value civ5 is $100, civ4 complete which includes both expansions and colonization $70. I know which offer i'd take if i was choosing

Are those retail and/or Steam prices?

Robi D
19-11-2010, 15:13
Are those retail and/or Steam prices?

Retail, haven't look on steam. And i think i could probably find a better price for civ4 complete if i did a bit more of search.

Robi D
19-11-2010, 15:23
Yeah, I hope, Firaxis will be doing well enough to build a proper Expansion pack with better gameplay. Then I'll buy it... (Special edition of Civ5 is already available for 40€ at amazon.de; but as the reviews on that site for the game are bad, I guess they had to...)

I'd hate to think it would take them that long. iirc expansion packs are spaced12-18 months apart. They need to get AI fixed like asap with like basic combat 101, cos right now it like combat in a movie. You know where the 50 bad guys surround the good guy but then only fight him one at a time until his kicked all their arses :D

barbu1977
18-12-2010, 06:33
Sales have started. I just saw CIV 5 25% off on Steam today.

Socrates
21-12-2010, 20:52
Read at the other site (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404189).

Shabbaman
21-12-2010, 21:12
I'm not sure if that's a bad thing.

ProPain
21-12-2010, 23:21
Well, just makes me wonder why and what will happen with CiV.

Like some people already posted on CFC: CiV not being well received by hardcore fans might seriously influence the sales of future Civ VI. To avoid this CiV needs to be fixed big-time, but the changes needed are so fundamental to the current design. I doubt we'll see that happening though. I suspect this caused the split. Dont have clue though if Fir asked JS to leave or that JS told Fir he'd rather leave than continue on this road.

What bothers me most is that I bought a slew of games this year that cost me fraction of CiV costs but were so much more entertaining.

Shabbaman
22-12-2010, 09:21
That's true, but those games weren't currently released. Defense Grid costed 20 euro's when it was new. Still cheap compared to civ5 though.

Darkness
22-12-2010, 09:30
Good news for CiV? (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=404256)

Apparently Shafer has left Firaxis. Maybe now they can get someone better to fix some of his mistakes in CiV...?

Rik Meleet
22-12-2010, 11:03
... or we're losing someone who was a hard-core gamer from the development team which is now run completely by pencil-pushers and penny-counters.

Stapel
22-12-2010, 14:41
Well, I have only played ciV for a week. I considered it so poor, I never bothered to play again, so far. Apart from various debatable issues, the worst part was the AI warfare stupidity. Has that changed with patches lately?

If this guy is responsible for creating the dumbest AI ever, then it's good he's gone! But is that really the way it is?

grahamiam
22-12-2010, 15:17
Well, I have only played ciV for a week. I considered it so poor, I never bothered to play again, so far. Apart from various debatable issues, the worst part was the AI warfare stupidity. Has that changed with patches lately?

If this guy is responsible for creating the dumbest AI ever, then it's good he's gone! But is that really the way it is?

I really believe that the QA cuts over the summer is what hurt the game the most. Even the best programmers/designers need to have their games properly play-tested to ensure what they produced is working properly. IIRC, civIV had a lot more of this and came out much more polished.

akots
23-12-2010, 20:36
Trip is certainly an idiot and I think he is the main idiot behind Civ5 design. Whoever put him in chanrge is certainly a triple idiot.

Shabbaman
05-08-2011, 11:37
I've noticed that a lot of people on my friendslist have bought civ5. They're actually enjoying the game, although one of my teammates quit after I laughed at him because he was trying to capture all the citystates and couldn't pull that off.

Yes, I'm a bastard.

barbu1977
05-08-2011, 14:02
I started a new game yesterday (first one in months). The "just one more turn" I'm getting this version is stronger than I had in III and IV. Alsmost like II.

Go figure why? Tha game is not as well finished as IV, but the way it plays out is more adicting.

Also, I get to practice my Russian with Catherine

Shabbaman
05-08-2011, 16:04
Well, what is appealing to me is that civ5 doesn't seem to be about building the biggest stack of doom through building the most cities. I find it disappoint that it's just about optimising your cash flow. What I liked in the older civs is that to work around corruption and hammer overflow. Civ4 has none of this. But for multiplayer I liked civ4 the most. If pitboss ever works civ5 without city states might be a lot of fun, if the people here at CDZ would ever get to playing the game...

ProPain
05-08-2011, 16:54
, if the people here at CDZ would ever get to paying the game...

I paid for the game :P

I must say that the urge to install Civ IV after my HD crash is stronger than installing Civ V. But as I don't own IV on Steam and all my games are in a box somewhere unreachable while I'm making two rooms in the attic that's not an option atm. Maybe I'll start the Civ V download after all.

Furiey
08-09-2011, 21:24
Reduced to £7.50 in steam's daily deal.

ProPain
08-09-2011, 21:31
But sadly the DLC is not.

Lt. Killer M
08-09-2011, 22:05
I still haven't bought Civ V, haven't played it - and from what I hear and read that'll likely stay that way.

Shabbaman
09-09-2011, 10:25
Haters gonna hate... but I know that there are some people here who actually like civ5 a lot. I'm not a big fan of civ4, but civ5 is enjoyable at medium levels in single player. At the highest level I found it to be a bit tedious and not much of a challenge, but in a world where Angry Birds is the top of what people play as a strategy game, civ5 still rules supreme. As for multiplayer... without city states and no AI it's just the same civ game like previous versions, but still without pitboss. From new games from the last few years, civ5 is still the best strategy game (which tbh says a lot about the current game industry).

It's definately worth the 12,50€ you can get it for now (better hurry). If you don't like it after all, I'll reimburse you in beer the next time we see each other at a meeting :D

ProPain
09-09-2011, 11:50
He man, what's with the angry birds rage? That game is just brilliant, it takes skill to get all levels 3 starred!

Lt. Killer M
09-09-2011, 21:01
It's definately worth the 12,50€ you can get it for now (better hurry). If you don't like it after all, I'll reimburse you in beer the next time we see each other at a meeting :D

Wanna get me dead drunk? Remember, I am over 30 and have kids ;)

TBH, I currently play a lot of OpenTTD.

Shabbaman
09-09-2011, 21:03
Transport Tycoon is awesome.

Lt. Killer M
09-09-2011, 23:07
Transport Tycoon is awesome.

it was - but wait until you see what OpenTT has done to improve on it!
If you want to get into it I have some nice scenarios for you, designed by me, myself and I ;)

Robi D
08-10-2011, 05:59
I've been away from the forums for quite a while, work, children and other stuff tend to take up the amount of time available and without any games on the go it tends to drop down the list of priorities.

I was walking past a games store the other day and saw civ5 at 50% off. I haven't played it except for a game when it first came out at a friends house and it was well you know. He doesn't even have it on his computer anymore so I don't know how much the patches have fixed up. So my question to those who play it here is, is it worth buying even at half price?

Shabbaman
08-10-2011, 10:46
It was on a 75% discount on Steam a few weeks ago. I'm puzzled why anyone wouldn't buy it for that price. The game has some major flaws, but it is hugely entertaining. In fact, it's still one of the most player games on Steam, so besides all that it's even very popular. If you are still playing civ3/4 for over 10 hours a week I doubt you'd be playing it for long, as the game is just too easy. I have the feeling most haters aren't playing civ3/4 anymore either, and civ5 is still more difficult than Wordfeud.

Robi D
14-10-2011, 02:40
Fair enough thanks for the advice :)

Furiey
26-11-2011, 22:57
Civ 5 £6.79 on Steam today with all DLC similarly reduced. Don't know the € price.

grs
05-01-2012, 21:03
Missed the steam sale, but after the last patch got some good reviews (as in should have fixed a lot) I played the demo and then got the GotY for € 13.58 from Get Games. Seem quite a decent game imho.

ProPain
13-01-2012, 15:17
I suppose that Get Games also uses Steam DRM?

classical_hero
13-01-2012, 16:07
Yeah Steam is the DRm and thus you have to use it. I am not going to buy it until it has a proper MP system.

grs
14-01-2012, 11:09
I suppose that Get Games also uses Steam DRM?

Yes, you just get a key you can use on steam to download the game and that's it.

Shabbaman
25-05-2012, 21:01
You can play civ5 for free this weekend.

Rik Meleet
25-05-2012, 23:07
You can play civ5 for free this weekend.

?

barbu1977
26-05-2012, 00:25
http://store.steampowered.com/app/901772/

Shabbaman
26-05-2012, 10:03
:)

Furiey
26-05-2012, 15:07
Yes, give it a go!

er983
30-07-2012, 02:39
The number they've added is the same as they have removed, so I suppose it is possible that they will add back the bugged ones as fixed rather than new ones for new DLC. I feel the DLC is more likely but I'm sure we'll see soon, they didn't get left with placeholder names for long last time.

Shabbaman
30-07-2012, 10:36
What?

Furiey
30-07-2012, 16:22
This one and the other one looks like a post posted about achievements on the other site. Looks familiar anyway. Anyone recognise the link? Can't say I fancy visiting it. There were a lot of posts over there at one time with vaguely relevent text and links in the sigs. Pretty sure it's advertising spam!

akots
31-07-2012, 03:36
That's the new era of spambots? Pretty pathetic it seems.

Shabbaman
31-07-2012, 09:14
Yes, they could work on their grammar.