PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler: Robi's quest for spoilers

Stapel
26-07-2010, 14:36
Here's the start. Not too bad.

The southern city has two clams and a silver, but can only use them when borders expand. Therefor, I have decided to go for mysticism first, so I can build a monument. Monuments are good, as I have the charismatic trait. (+1 happiness just like that and +1 happiness for a monument).

Obviously, I need agriculture and husbandry asap, as my capitol has corn and cow. There are only two players with mysticism at the start, so maybe I should head for the hindu tech first.

Robi D
26-07-2010, 15:25
Went for a quick settlement of both cities. Should be interesting to watch your aggresive tendencies play out on a small map

Stapel
03-08-2010, 12:44
Turn 10. I've just popped my 3rd hut. The first resulted in a barbarian warrior that found his death when attacking my warrior on a forest hill. The 2nd provided 31 gold. This time I hit the jackpot, by popping masonry (96 beakers).

So far, I have developed 121 science beakers. 60/60 for mysticism and 61/120 for hinduism/polytheism. According to F7, no religions have been founded. Furiey and Silent Confusin have started with mysticism. The only logical conclusion is that both did not head for buddhism/meditation which is only 96 beakers, and that both have not yet accumulated 120 beakers for polytheism. I did found two cities in turn 1, so I might be slightly ahead. Also, the 31 gold from the hut, allows me to go at 100% science, rather than 90%.

So, in hindsight, I should have picked mysticism => buddhism, and could even make that switch now.... However, since I popped masonry, I will simply go straight ahead towards monotheism/judaism (144) if I fail to get to hinduism (which is what I expect). This is somewhat of a setback for agriculture and husbandry, but as the chances to get to judaism first is close to 100%, I will defenitely go for it.

Further more, I have located furs, gold, stone, ivory and more cow in the vicinity :) .

Stapel
07-08-2010, 11:31
I was the first to poly, so hinduism is mine. No buddhism yet.....

And I have met BCLG. Actually, I have a warrior near next to his border. Not a word from him yet.....
I guess I will declare war and see if I can snatch a worker.

Stapel
29-08-2010, 09:47
BCLG and I have a peace deal which can be cancelled anytime, with a 10 turn notice.

And I have just built Stonehenge.

Darkness
29-08-2010, 10:26
Great prophet for the hindu shrine then, I guess? Good for the early economy. :)

Stapel
04-09-2010, 10:38
1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Stapel
21-10-2010, 08:35
While I was busy building wonders, my only real neighbour (BCLG) was building settlers. Nothing wrong with that, but he actually decided to settle near my borders......

I cancelled our 10-turn peace treaty, but, obviously, was not in a position to strike right away. Since then I've been building troops, as has BCLG. This turn, I have moved in a stack of:
9 axeman
3 cats
2 spears
1 horse archer
1 chariot

Two more cats, a spear and three HAs are near, and will be on the same hill as the rest of the stack, next turn. Another two more cats are on their way.

BCLG's city of Beorn has:
8 axemen
2 spears
2 chariots
1 warrior
And a spear and an axe next to it.

http://civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=400&d=1287642911

Stapel
21-10-2010, 08:42
I had had planned to inavde this turn (87, 700 BC). Coincidentally, BCLG has logged in first this turn and actually moved in a solitude chariot, mostly to annoy me or possibly to see if he can threaten a worker or even my capitol. He had tried before, succesfully killing a worker. I got a go with a spear on his chariot, but lost the 98% chance battle......... The chariot was killed by an axe the same turn, but he had a succesful expedition.....

Anyway, as BCLG has moved into my yard first, he has the initiative, as we agreed on an anti-DM rule.

Next turn, I will destroy Beorn's 20% defense and move in the extra 2 cats to the hill south of Beorn. Unless BCLG has a hidden stack of serious magnitude, my 5 cats should give me a decent chance to win this war!

Robi D
21-10-2010, 09:31
The cats will help seeing as from what you say BCLG doesn't have them. But looking at the numbers it will be a tight run thing, rng could prove decisive one way or the other.

Do you have many reinforcement or are they still being built?

Stapel
22-10-2010, 17:13
Well, I had just a few more axes than BCLG had, PLUS the 5 cats. I felt preetyy sure I could win. Apparently, BCLG thought the same and decided not to wait and see, but instead attack my stack (on a hill). I didn't check who the RNG worked out, but in the end, he lost 16 units and I only three. Beorn is mine and I am in a very very srong position now.

Beorn
23-10-2010, 01:48
MY CITY !!!! ;) looks like a good fair win. Attacking at 25% penalty or defending 5 catapults, must've been a tough choice.

Stapel
23-10-2010, 09:22
MY CITY !!!! ;) looks like a good fair win. Attacking at 25% penalty or defending 5 catapults, must've been a tough choice.

Well, even if the attack would have been more succesful, it would have meant I could have a go with my cats against a bunch of wounded units. Anyway, it looked indeed as a lost cause for BCLG.

Which makes me ask you this question:

Why in the world did you found tha city there, so close to my borders?? It inmediately pushed me into full war mode. It could have worked, if BCLG has some catapults....

Beorn
23-10-2010, 20:22
I hope this isn't too spoilerish, but that was the strategy he wanted me to go for, so I went towards you and settled a good spot in your face. Maybe I should have gone uphill, but the city wouldn't have been quite as good.

Stapel
24-10-2010, 10:13
I hope this isn't too spoilerish, but that was the strategy he wanted me to go for, so I went towards you and settled a good spot in your face. Maybe I should have gone uphill, but the city wouldn't have been quite as good.

Well, both cities that were settled in my face, are exactly on my planned dots :) . The strategy to claim land asap is a good one. In the end, defending is always easier than conquering. But the strategy's succes is heavily dependent on having catapults....

Stapel
02-11-2010, 20:13
Just here to tell you that I will take BCLG's capitol the next turn. His last city should be mine in 5 turns or so.

Robi D
03-11-2010, 12:32
That was quick work

Stapel
03-11-2010, 13:14
That was quick work

Yeah, BCLG had put anything he had in Beorn. I took the city without losing many units, so in the end, I could march on without too mnay dificulties.

The good thing is that I now have an ideally sized island for myself, while having contact with most other players. I should be able to catch up now.

Stapel
04-11-2010, 00:11
In 2 turns, BCLG is gone completely!

Stapel
05-11-2010, 08:38
Bye bye!

So, the island is now mine! It's rather big and all for me. This means I have a fair opportunity in this game!

Short resumee: My capitol, in the south east has Stonehenge and TGLighthouse. BCLG's capitol (now mine) has the Colossus.
Most cities are on granary - forge - courthouse. When BCLG's last city is out of rebellion, I will use my Great Merchant to start a golden age. I can use it to change to the 25% religion bonus and +50+50 in the capitol (I'm getting that tech in a few turns).

I guess I shoudl also focus n building more coastal cities. I have 8 cities right now.

I have met all but one players. With Barbu (10), Furiey(10) and Matrix(25) I have peace deals. Donovan Zoi is to the north west and Barbu to the north east. I need a deal with DZ as well.

Shabbaman
05-11-2010, 10:25
Nice.

Stapel
06-11-2010, 10:15
Overview of the island, including future cities:

http://civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=404&stc=1&d=1289034883

Stapel
05-12-2010, 12:26
Not much to tell. Since conquering BCLG, I've been busy building granaries, forges, harbours, couthouses and a lighthouse or two. My cap is spitting out wonders!

Diplo overview:
Barbu: OB + 10 turn cancellation peace deal.
-Matrix: OB + 25 turn cancellation peace deal.
-Furiey: OB + 10 turn cancellation peace deal.
-Donovan Zoi: OB + 10 turn cancellation peace deal. Can be cancelled if either one of us declares war on Barbu (he wanted so).
Grahamiam: OB + peace until 1000 AD.
Socralynnek: OB. Otherwise not a word! I'm not sure why he has opened up conversations, but I do know why I didn't:

Ynnek and Zoi have been at war for quite some time now. Judging from the scorecard, Ynnek has just made a breakthrough. Can't be sure though! Fact is that Zoi's capitol is rather close to my island: only two boat turns away. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get in a semi war mode and build a few units, including 5 galleys or so. Obviously, I need to respect the 10 turns, so whatever I will do, Zoi will expect me coming. It would be a nice idea to chip in, when Ynnek is about to take over.

Another thing: Zoi has annoyed me by making an utterly ridiculous proposal a few turns back. He wanted to borrow 100 gold when he and Ynnek got to war. The interest he planned to pay was a one luxuary (which I really didn't need at that moment and do still not need at this moment). He also offered the amazing amount of 25 gold (yup, he offered 25 gold for each unit :crazy: )for each military unit I would give him........ Nothing wrong with an opportunistic PM, but after my dry decline, he came back with this post:

It's not like I don't have the means to defend myself, but I guess I can't argue with "desperate" as an appropriate description. Still thought it was a pretty reasoned, (and workable) deal.

A shame, as we were off to such a good start. I was looking forward to taking over the world together.

Best of luck to you as well.

Well Donovan,

I must say, that sounds rather desperate!

I'm sorry I have to decline! There really is nothing in it for me.

Bonne chance!

Hi Bas!

Haha, yes, I had thought about it but had already declared on the AI over here and didn't want to spread myself too thin.

However, I have bigger problems now, it seems, as socralynnek has rolled up to my border with a stack of 25. If you'd like to solidify our relations, I'd be willing to make it worth your while. In-game, I have fronted you Silks in trade for a 100g loan (I can pay it back in 2-3 turns). Also, I can offer you 25g per unit you send my way, as well as gift you 2 Galleys to get them here. More gold can be made if you help me liberate cities.

If you have a 10-turn cancellation deal with socralynnek, you can opt out now and build up so we can both start pushing back in 10 turns. I will do what I can to hold the fort for now.

Hope this works for you. I'd like to think that you'd prefer a rational ally in Holy Rome across the pond instead of some crazy Mongols! Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Donovan

Well, I do have a rather simple agreement with Barbu: peace with 10-turn cancellation.

I can agree with your ideas. Let's simply agree that any of us will inform the other if hostilities against Portugal are due in 10 turns.

As for the Colossus....., you could have chipped in a dozen turns ago. It was obvious BCLG had his forces busy stopping me, so his capitol was really there for the taking.

OTOH, I deliberately tried to find a peace deal with you, after BCLG's destruction. I somewhat anticipated you trying to 'profit' from the war between me and BCLG and would probably have declared war to you, if you would have taken BCLG's capitol :) .

Hi there,

Care for a peace deal in Robi's game? 10 or 20 turn cancellation?

Cheers,
Bas

Hi Bas,

After much thought (I really wanted to nab the Colossus), I'll go along with peace.

I like 10 turn cancellation just to keep my affairs consistent. However, I'm not sure I want to leave you unchecked against barbu, so I reserve the right to declare on you immediately if you initiate hostlities with Portugal without including me in the spoils.

Of course I say this without knowing what kind of current arrangement you have with barbu. I have no interest in declaring on him right now, but you can feel free to waive the 10-turn cancellation on me if I try anything. I believe this part of the agreement benefits both of us by keeping each other in check. It may also give us an opportunity to work together at some point.

Let me know if this works for you. Also, let me know if you will have a 2nd Rice or Silver available. I'll have Sugar and Silks hooked up soon, and possibly some extra food resources.

Regards,
Donovan (Bri)

Anyway, his last reply pissed me off a bit. When a totally rediculous one-sided proposal is kindly declined, you simply do not argue that it was a reasonable and workable deal, hinting that I am to blame for a bruised relationship......

Stapel
05-12-2010, 12:27
Well, here's an overview:

http://civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=423&stc=1&d=1291548418

http://civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=424&stc=1&d=1291548427