PDA

View Full Version : Recent developments

akots
23-06-2010, 06:39
It seems my personal life had been very stable for the past 7 years and I had a clear perspective of development. Last year in July, I was promoted and everything looked just good and peachy.

Unfortunately, it all ended recently. Let me tell a bit of details but I cannot be straightforward here. Some search engine can pick it up and I have to avoid real names and real circumstances.

I had two bosses at the University. They were both very senior people, 70+. One of them is extremely famous and I worked with him for the past 10 years. He was providing the funding for the project. However, he was accused of administrative misconduct and has been essentially fired despite all his fame and regalia after spending half a year on administrative leave. The university entered into some settlement with him and abandoned any further administrative prosecution. May be, criminal charges can still be filed but I seriously doubt that. Now, the other boss, somewhat less famous but still highly regarded, took over and refused to fund the project in very ruthless manner. He has a reputation of being quite a tough guy. He gave me a few month to look for funding but on such a short notice and despite all my attempts, I could find only very modest investment. So, the project is being shut down, and I got a letter which says that I'm out of job in 2 months.

I'm looking for a position right now trying to find some place where I can continue but it is damn hard on such a short notice and I'm running out of time and out of options. I apply everywhere in the US, even in Europe (Netherlands included), Australia, and Canada without success so far as of this time. I thought of trying to appeal to university leaders but I don't want to make more enemies and that would start open hostilities while now it is not that bad and I might be able to leave on good terms. Basically, it is easier just to move out without much noise.

Now, the funny thing is that the tough guy is now also being investigated for administrative violations. Not sure how it helps me but it is just a sort of backfired on him.

Killer is expected to understand because when you work for 7 years on a project, you cannot just quit in the middle and throw everything out of the window.

So, I'm quite pissed at life and everything in general and don't really know what to do. Some friends are trying to help here but the old boss is not among them. He is still on a good terms but does not want to lift a finger.

I guess I might end up selling cars or fixing computers and even that kind of job is hard to get these days and being overqualified does not help. May be I'll sell Blue Bell ice cream. That can be a fitting end to an academic career. I'm currently frantically trying to wrap up and publish as many things as possible. I'll be staying away from PC and web activity and games and the moment due to an urgent need to focus.

This has been very stressful as well. I noticed getting more and more gray hair every week.

socralynnek
23-06-2010, 08:26
You should go to Firaxis or Hattrick to help them make better games (how about Col 3 ? ;-) )

I must admit, that I don't know in which area you were have your degrees...

I can imagine how bad it is to have to leave if it is not finished. We have some open positions here at our company, but I totally don't know whether it is what you are looking for...

Shabbaman
23-06-2010, 09:06
So you are dr. Akots now, congratulations! About the other issues: I've spent too much time at the university that I'm happy I left (instead of going for a ph.d.). From what I've seen being smart doesn't mean you have any manager skills (and for that matter, that's also true if you start working for a commercial enterprise that's run by people that started with doing the same job I am now). It's a shame you get caught in something like this. Hopefully there's a research institution with more than half a brain that will pick up your project.

As for selling Blue Bell Icecream, I've never tasted it but apparently selling it is a good idea!

barbu1977
23-06-2010, 15:49
That is a shame.

I'm preaty sure applying for this kind of job isn't especialy a mather of 1-2 months. Those positions don't open realy often. Don't dispair. I wish you the best.

mauer
27-06-2010, 21:56
I wish you luck akots. You're intelligent enough to do what you enjoy/like for a living. Don't be a douche and find something "acceptable" like I did....ie blue bell. I really hope this works out to your favor.

akots
28-06-2010, 01:05
Unfortunately, by the age of 43 I think I'm running out of steam for fighting and am gradually becoming somewhat less competitive. But I'm not giving up yet.

akots
29-08-2010, 00:19
My last work day here will be next week and I have not had any solid job offers yet. Time to explore how to claim unemployment benefits in Texas since the only thing I have is a part time teaching assignment which is still running. Does not pay the bills though, that teaching job. A number of possibilities to move the project are being discussed, so it is not that completely hopeless, it just takes more time.

Among a few offers, I have even briefly considered some kind of temporary position at Dutch Antilles. I think I will pass on it for the moment since it is a one way job and it will be very hard to get out of there after the contract expires. Also, I think it will be next to impossible to ship or bring all materials I need there from the US. Although weather there is amazing: All year round daytime +28-30C and nights at 22-25C. Not that I am much of a diver. As a plus, there are no hurricanes. As a minus, everything has to be imported and even smallest appliances and all electronics are terribly overpriced. Would you like a flashlight for $20? And 2 Energizer AA batteries for that at $6? A 10-year old heavily used mountain bike for $300? I know, it is not a consumer economy there. It is just that the offer was not good enough, I expected bigger package while it was somewhat on very moderate side.

Rik Meleet
29-08-2010, 21:13
(..) As a plus, there are no hurricanes. (..) Sorry to burst your bubble ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Earl_%282010%29#Watches_and_warnings

socralynnek
29-08-2010, 23:21
Depends on where you are...The Leeward Antilles are belonging to what in German is called "Islands below the wind"...so, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao should be relatively safe w.r.t. to Hurricanes...

(and the warnings are only for the northern 3 islands of the Dutch Antilles)

Edit: Curacao and Bonaire were very nice if one is a tourist, but I also don't know whether I wanna live there...

grahamiam
30-08-2010, 01:34
Sorry to read this, good luck. There is a need for what you do, you just have to find the people willing to pay you for it.

barbu1977
31-08-2010, 03:56
I wish you luck you need!

akots
31-08-2010, 08:58
The only thing I got lucky with is that they allowed me to take all paperwork on the project. So, my apartment just got all crampled with piles of boxes of documents.

Lt. Killer M
06-09-2010, 19:06
akots,

I have not replied to this so far because the topic is currently too frustrating for me. Lemme just tell you that I feel with you, and wish you the very best. :)

Matrix
07-09-2010, 12:26
Well, I too wouldn't know anything else to say but good luck.
I'm currently searching for a job too, because my thesis is done (hopefully). But of course I'm not in such a peckle as you are.

Furiey
07-09-2010, 12:29
Best of luck from yet another job seeker.

akots
18-02-2011, 07:20
It were quite taxing months but my parents taught me that persistence and patience will get me there eventually. So, I have secured a faculty job in the USA in Washington DC, a few blocks away from the White House. It is an OK job, nothing especially fancy or highly paid but I will be running things essentially on my own for 3 years to be able to secure additional support for the project. So, I am moving to Washington DC in the middle of March and start there on April 1.

I have also got some finding from mother-Russia at substantial money. I'm talking about at least a couple of million USD for the project. However, these funds seem to be attached to considerable strings and I am not sure if and how they can be used. Still working on it for the moment. Russian science is becoming a big bureacratic machinery with its own rules and I cannot say I like the way it goes at present. But we'll see, may be it would be possible to get at least some of these funds.

Darkness
18-02-2011, 09:07
Excellent news akots! Congratulations! :)

Shabbaman
18-02-2011, 09:38
Congratulations Akots, that is good news.

Furiey
18-02-2011, 10:43
Congratulations!

ProPain
18-02-2011, 10:50
That's great man. Congratulations.

Kingreno
18-02-2011, 12:26
Wow, great stuff Akots. Sounds like a great spot for a CDZ weekend... ;)

barbu1977
18-02-2011, 13:58
Wow, great stuff Akots. Sounds like a great spot for a CDZ weekend... ;)

Kudos to that. Finaly a meeting I can drive to.

Congratulations.

Beorn
18-02-2011, 16:39
Sweet, I'm happy for you!

Rik Meleet
18-02-2011, 18:26
Congrats Akots. :)

Matrix
18-02-2011, 18:33
Very nice indeed, akots! It took long enough for sure.

Academic careers are under threat pretty much everywhere in Europe too. I was thinking about doing a PhD myself, but I basically don't stand a chance as the positions are so much more limited nowadays. And my olderst brother, turning 40 next week, still doesn't have a permanent position either.

Socrates
18-02-2011, 18:56
Well done akots ! Say hello to Barack for me. [;)]

Lt. Killer M
18-02-2011, 22:01
:D

I wish you the best of luck!

grahamiam
18-02-2011, 22:54
Woot! CDz meetup in DC!