PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Steam

ProPain
13-06-2010, 19:46
Iirc at least Shabba uses steam, but maybe others do as well. I've always been more of the CD/DVD buying kind, but with junk coming out of my ear the idea of someone else storing my games for me doesn't sound bad at all.

Wondering how people experiences with Steam are and if you can tell me anything about the support period they handle. Will they keep your purchases online forever or will they terminate old games eventually?

Furiey
13-06-2010, 22:28
I recently signed up for steam during the free portal offer. I also had a free copy of the new Alien v Predator with the graphics card on my new PC (activation code, no disc) and I then picked up a copy of Empire Total War for £7 (retail disc with activation code). So 2 games to download, one with an activation code and another to install from disc and activate. The disc certainly saved a big download, but otherwise all 3 games installed without a flaw on W7 x64. There is no stated limit to how long they will support the games and they say if they ever do no longer support the games they will unlock them to no longer need steam. Of course there's nothing to stop them changing their mind. The disc did save a large download which could be an issue if you have a slower connection. Considering the issues I had with the copy protection in Civ 4, it seems a less intrusive way. It can be a bit annoying in offline mode as it still checks for a connection and if it finds one asks you if you want to go online. I see so many issues in the technical support with damaged discs though, and one of my Civ 4 discs is very tempramental, so I can see I will be tempted when they have things on offer. Civ 3 complete for £2.99 is tempting at the moment.

Shabbaman
13-06-2010, 22:40
There is no stated limit to how long they will support the games and they say if they ever do no longer support the games they will unlock them to no longer need steam. Of course there's nothing to stop them changing their mind.

It's not completely true. It's not set in stone (but then they could still change their mind), but Valve's Gabe Newell said that he suspected they'd remove the DRM from a game if they could no longer support it. Mind that he was speaking about Valve games, not about games using Valve's program. But if you check your EULA you could find out if there's a limit to your usage of your purchase.

ProPain
13-06-2010, 22:57
Got myself a steam account and bought elder scrolls on the weekend offer. Added you both as friends, that is I;m sure I have the right Shabbaman but not sure if I got the right furiey

Furiey
13-06-2010, 23:11
There's more than one Furiey?

Yes, right one. I hadn't activated my community profile though which I have now done.

akots
13-06-2010, 23:38
Steam is not bad. A bit annoying but manageable after all. Biggest advantage is that no disc is needed.

Shabbaman
14-06-2010, 16:34
You could join this steamgroup (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CivDuelZone), then you're sure you're talking to the right people.

ProPain
14-06-2010, 20:27
joined that steamgroup :)

ProPain
16-06-2010, 00:34
So how's that planeswalker game Shabba?

Shabbaman
16-06-2010, 18:53
Haven't started it yet. I only got it because some guys from my TF2 clan forced me.

ProPain
16-06-2010, 19:24
Rofl, I must say I really like the Steam service so far. I will buy more games here for sure.

Furiey
16-06-2010, 22:51
I notice the group page shows how long we've been playing. My Sunday/Monday ETW session shows up, possibly it's a good job I haven't got Civ4 on steam!

Furiey
20-12-2010, 21:41
I don't know what it's like but Civ City Rome is £0.59 on Steam. Seems the Christmas sale is starting