PDA

View Full Version : CB vs Anarres *** Spoiler ***

Cartouche Bee
22-06-2003, 00:52
Here is the demographics from turn 40.

I'm persia and anarres is rome.

What's wrong with this picture?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Cartouche Bee/200362205134_turn40demo.jpg
84.86*KB

Grille
22-06-2003, 02:54
Turn 40???? 4 towns in top5 list!?
Did you hut-pop towns/settlers?
No ai rivals?
Or Palaces don't produce culture?

Grille
22-06-2003, 03:04
Aha, just noticed you started over, w/o any ai civs.
Hm, what might be wrong then, perhaps anarres has a headstart on a 20k city...[lol]

DrAlimentado
22-06-2003, 04:03
hmm, gonna be easy to figure the others exact stats in this game :) and what the hell does life expectancy mean anyway?...

and whos got the lowest score? we know you both like to trail in that regard ;)

Cartouche Bee
22-06-2003, 19:02
We have been bouncing back and forth for first in most categories.

I just build the pyramids, so it will be abit harder for him to keep up.

The top 5 cities are starting to balance out.

My FP is quite far along also.:D

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Cartouche Bee/200362219152_turn81demo.jpg
86.15KB

Cartouche Bee
23-06-2003, 18:09
Well, the early game gambit's continue.

My first gambit of not building a granary, was based on my studies about how cities grow. I deduced that by building a few cities quicker, without building a granary, I would then be able to let a handful of cities continue basic production and then pile some workers into the capitol and build the Pyramids which now provides all my cities with a free granary. This did slow my later development until the pyramids were complete but my uncorrupt ring of cites was intact, these are more important than future fully corrupt cities.

My current gambit concerns luxuries. We have limited luxuries so I'm making a drive to Monarchy, not for the government but for the Hanging Gardens. I first drove to literature, I'm scientific, this provides better science production and ways to open my borders cheaply and a prebuild off the Great Library for my target wonder. Then on to Monarchy, which times out pretty well on the prebuild of the Hanging Gardens which will essentially give me one more lux, nation wide. Another delay which may or may not pan out for me over the course of the game.

Since I also have a FP I seem to be able to research any tech in 4 turns now, well those that I can research after monarchy, even under despotism. However, the drive to republic and then to the Middle ages is on full speed now and time is of the essence.

Kemal
24-06-2003, 07:49
Great job with the early Pyramids and FP, CB! However, I was wondering how you're going to cope with the loss of a possible palace jump, now that you've completed a top-notch wonder in Persepolis, and with possibly another on the way there? Since there are not going to be AI wars to fish for leaders, jumping does seem like the only available option to move the palace around.

I'm very curious what your current empire looks like, especially the location of the FP, can you post a screenie please?

Concerning your first picture, how come that Susa is above Pasargadae in top 5 cities? Had you built a temple in susa already on turn 40, or have you renamed cities to confuse anarres? ;)

ERIKK
24-06-2003, 09:11
Beware of anarres, if he sees you wonder building all the time he will definitely be comming for you to whipe you out... How far away (safe) are you?

Skyfish
24-06-2003, 09:43
Since it's a small map with 2 islands, probably the capital and FP are well placed so a palace jump won't be necessary. Palace jumps are not "absolutely" needed in order to win no ? ;)

Cartouche Bee
24-06-2003, 16:48
k, I'll post some shots later, they game has progressed antoher 30 turns from the my last post, things are changing rapidly.

@Kemal, No, I doubt I would want to palace jump my capitol cause it's actually right in the heartland of my territory. I didn't change names of cities but it shows that some other calculations might be going on with regards to ratings that we don't normally see, cause sometimes when I look at that city list in this game it makes me wonder what's going on. I should have paid more attention to that and maybe later I will look at the saves to see what I can figure from the data.

@ERIKK, I suppose that if anarres landed on my continent he could deal with the Immortals. :) I'm not too worried about an invasion at this point, I have pretty good production going on and could surely build units faster than he can get them here, at least for now. My capitol under despotism can make a vet. spearman every turn and I've got 3 cities now that can produce vet Immortals every 2 turns.

@Skyfish, I have done a few palace jumps in my time but usually when the capitol is in a real poor spot for any future development, not the case here but there are many ways to do things, maybe a jump would work out for the better later but for now I would have to rely on a rebuild.

Cartouche Bee
25-06-2003, 03:30
territory shot 390BC

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Cartouche Bee/200362533034_anarres_390BC.JPG
193.65*KB

Aggie
25-06-2003, 07:47
CB, that can't be the whole minimap you show us, because anarres would have no room. Where are you positioned in the world?

Skyfish
25-06-2003, 09:37
Whether it's right or left, what difference does it make Aggie ? [confused]

Grille
27-06-2003, 15:13
It does make a difference.
If the full map would be shown, you could make a better estimation on the actual size/location of CB's empire.
In fact, you couldn't say if anarres lives right, left, top, bottom or even if he was totally surrounding CB. I think Aggie meant sth like that.

Anyway, as this game is just 1 vs 1 w/o ai, I can get an answer to the question if a player could build an obsolete wonder. No leaders can be milked from ai (hehe, maybe there'll be A LOT of GL in this game, at least I hope so), also no cascade competition, so I assume most wonders will be completed from scratch. If anarres or CB miss out a wonder, I'd be interested if they still could build it when they know the obsolete-making tech (e.g.starting to build Collossus after flight)

WildFire
27-06-2003, 17:50
Why make the Great Library? It isnt going to give you any techs since you need two civs to know of a tech and since its a 1 vs 1... Unless you want the culture. Nice land btw.

Cartouche Bee
27-06-2003, 18:09
WF, Great Library is a prebuld for Hanging Gardens. ;) I only have 3 lux and that's not alot when trying to run republic.

WildFire
27-06-2003, 18:40
Well I didn't know that and I can't see what tech your working on [:p]

Good idea though.

Cartouche Bee
30-06-2003, 21:28
Well, in another surprise build, I build Oracle in the capitol. That means my temples will more beneficial for a 20-30 turns and if I keep doing this, I'll be able to fall back on a 20K culture win in the capitol. Currently in anarchy, drew a 5 turn transition for a new government, waiting for republic.

Cartouche Bee
04-07-2003, 03:23
Well, I'm in republic now and number one in manufacturing among other things, this looks like my first PBEM declared win. Anarres can't stop me now. Guess we have to go through the motions to the end now. [cool]

Cartouche Bee
07-07-2003, 19:26
Well, I made it through to the middle ages recently and my prebuild for Sun Tzu completed although a few shields were lost, oh well at least he doesn't have that one but I see he did get the Great Wall and the Lighthouse. Had to settle for Colossus instead of Lighthouse but I know I can't get everything. ;) I'm still number 1 militarily according to the demographics, so I'm still feeling easy on that front and will be all vets from here on, not that I had many regulars.

Cartouche Bee
13-07-2003, 16:40
Well the game slowly advances, I'm researching Education now to get my uni's on line.

It's pretty much suicide to get any attacks going at this point unless anarres finds a path to me that his galley's can traverse in a single turn (he has lighthouse). So the drive to astronomy and perhaps even through to navigation related techs is on. Of course once you get that far, steam cannot be far behind. We might have to go so far as marines before any real battles can occur.

Cartouche Bee
28-07-2003, 16:41
Well, the game continues slowly, I continue researching pretty much getting a tech every 4 turns but I'm not sure if I can keep that pace through to steam. I pretty much have secured my borders with workers that are standing by waiting for steam. It would have been nice to have had a GA by now but looks like it will be quite awhile before I get that chance, for now my uni's and banks are coming on line to help enhance my economy.

Cartouche Bee
14-08-2003, 02:36
750AD and still driving for steam. I'm totally working on infrastructure now except my corrupt cities that are producing cats for future hitting power once I have artillery. Lot's of universities on line now, banks and cathederals moving along which means that I be in fine shape once I trigger my GA. I'm running 0% lux to reduce costs and just about done producing any units for the next 30 or turns. The capitol is almost making 50 culture a turn now and lot's more improvements and culture doubling to come so this is likely a space launch or 20K culture win type game coming on. Once I get rails I doubt that a large enough force can be gathered to set foot on this continent, for long. ;)

Cartouche Bee
15-08-2003, 15:08
Well anarres and I finally met. His greeting party was quite a large flotilla galleys from many,many angles. :) Unfortunately for him he does not have marines and therefore no real chance of making a landing. I see the techs that he does not have and surmise what has gone on here since my current research for chemistry plummeted, however, anarres does not have theology. Therefore I established an embassy and then started the war with him by chucking some rocks at him with the cats. Well, that ends the tech stealing strategy till the war is over. :)

Skyfish
15-08-2003, 16:40
Or until he gets Espionnage... ;)

Cartouche Bee
16-08-2003, 04:42
True but he is about 10 or 12 techs from there so i think i can handle that.

anarres has discovered that i have quite a few workers on my islands, lounging on the beaches. [lol]

Cartouche Bee
18-08-2003, 05:29
I made it to the Industrial age first by a few turns so as long as I keep the 4 turn science going I should be fine and hopefully snag TOE.

In recent times I built Newton's, Smith's and Bach. Yep I did go for some nonessential techs but they serve my purpose. ;) For instance I completed Bach's the turn that the hanging gardens usefulness expired.

Cartouche Bee
22-08-2003, 17:07
The year is 1180AD and I have completed TOE and appear to be about 8 techs up on anarres.

Now I learned a lesson from aggie and hope to prevent the same happening with anarres, we will see for now, I seem to be able to research every 4 turns and I want to keep the pressure on anarres. I know he will have to attack me again to prevent me from winning it will just depend on how and when he will be able to mange this attack and if I can pour it on, productivity wise as quick as he can. I suspect that he will have to mobilize to make any real attempt to stop me that could prevent him from being able to participate in the space race but we will see, should be interesting.

Skyfish
22-08-2003, 17:11
What's the lesson you learned from the Aggie game specifically please ?

Cartouche Bee
22-08-2003, 17:21
You have to play aggie to learn that lesson.

Cartouche Bee
23-08-2003, 03:12
My lesson from aggie paid off and I completed the Hoover Dam, anarres is thinking about conceding. I have been snagging most of the wonders and I am pretty far ahead on techs, we will see what he thinks after sleeping on it.

Aggie
23-08-2003, 07:32
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

What's the lesson you learned from the Aggie game specifically please ?

My guess is: When you have ToE you will not automatically get Hoover. In my game, if we would have continued, I would have been the one to build it. Mainly because CB researched Industrialization first before getting Electronics.

Skyfish
23-08-2003, 08:21
Thanks Aggie :)

Cartouche Bee
23-08-2003, 15:03
Actually I researched Electronics before Industrialization, but then built a factory to hurry Hoover Dam but dumb enough not to build a coal plant also for even greater speed to get to the wonder. Now that the cat's out of the bag in the game that lesson can be revealed. [Plus, aggie could not have beat me to the wonder if he had not stole tech from me while I was giving him the coal.]

Aggie
23-08-2003, 20:18
CB: I really have to say this here. I probably would have beaten you to Hoover without stealing. I don't want to debate this any more. But I just HAVE to say it!

anarres
23-08-2003, 21:42
Congrats CB, it was a good game, but one doomed to failure for me when I decided to attack with Cavs. [party]

Cartouche Bee
23-08-2003, 23:02
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

CB: I really have to say this here. I probably would have beaten you to Hoover without stealing. I don't want to debate this any more. But I just HAVE to say it!

Well nice to say but unless you could have researched at less than 4 turns per tech I don't think it would have happened. :)