PDA

View Full Version : Overview of civ5 previews

Shabbaman
10-03-2010, 14:08
I just read a preview (http://kotaku.com/5489814/civilization-v-preview-small-changes-big-differences) on Kotaku. Most notable things:

The ground looked good, lifted naturally by mountain ranges and cut by rivers. As good as those graphics looked, the game is supposed to be able to run on the widest range of PC hardware specifications supported by the series yet, from laptops Civ fans use on planes to high-end PCs. The current minimum spec Firaxis is hoping to accommodate are 256 MB video cards and dual core processors. That target might change.

New city states appear on the map. These are always controlled by the computer. Players can enter pacts with them, trade with them, or even attack them. This complicates the relationships among the major civilizations, as an America that is friends with Budapest might be drawn into a war if it tries to free a besieged Budapest from the French. The city states were described by one developer showing the game as elements that "are there to make things happen."

A great civilization's area of influence used to spread evenly in Civ games. In the new one, a player will see the colored border representing the limits of their people's reach expand in more realistic ways. Turn after turn, the computer will automatically expand a player's civilization into areas that have relevant resources, say forest instead of desert, early in the game. Players can spend gold to speed the expansion.

This explains the odd border in the pictures we saw. Nice feature.

New ranged units can fire from afar (an extra hexagon away for the archers, according to the demo this week). And cities, which now have health bars, can fire back.

Wut? Firing cities?

Robi D
10-03-2010, 14:18
I suppose their might be some fixed weaponry in the citiy itself or it might mean units in the city fire back automatically much like a fighter on intercept attacks bombers.

The whole new way of border expansion sounds interesting

Shabbaman
10-03-2010, 14:22
Yes, something like coastal batteries ;)

Socrates
10-03-2010, 19:34
This explains the odd border in the pictures we saw. Nice feature.

I've always thought that the border expansion in Civ was too simple and mechanical. And boring. ;) Very welcome addition !

Wut? Firing cities?

Age of Kings has this IIRC. You would ring the bell so that people gathered inside the forum and fired at the enemy.

BCLG100
10-03-2010, 20:18
archers can fire over lakes or something is what i hear

Robi D
11-03-2010, 11:03
Found a preview at IGN. Here is the link;
http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/107/1075587p1.html

There is a bit i'll quote here for the lazy which explains the firing cities and one unit per tile err hex for battles

One of the biggest changes to the game is the new one-unit-per-hex restriction. Previous Civ games have been dominated by the "stack of doom" where players create an unstoppable super unit by piling all of their units in a single square. That strategy is not available in Civ V, which should, the designers reason, pull combat away from the cities. Now when an invading army enters your territory, you'll want to send your spearmen and warriors and swordsmen out to fight them in the fields around your towns. Cities will automatically defend themselves now, and can benefit from increased defense based on certain structures or technologies, so you don't necessarily need to garrison a unit for defense but you can if you want to.

Because you're limited to just one unit per hex, battles have the potential to be much more tactical, both with regard to the placement of your units and geographical obstacles. We saw a few battles that highlighted the significance of the new system. In one, two groups of units were facing off against each other around a one-hex lake. An archer unit was able to fire at enemy units on the far side of the lake and stay protected from melee attack by two allied units on either side. In another battle, a small group of powerful units were able to hold off a much larger attacking army in a narrow mountain pass. Because the attacker could only bring one unit into the fight at a time, the defender was able to eliminate the numerical disadvantage.

I like the fact terrain will have a greater influence on things and that battles wont be centred around cities only. All the other promises in the article sound good too, but i'm going to wait and see how it actually turns out before rushing out to buy it. Also they got rid of espionage as well as religion:(

Shabbaman
11-03-2010, 11:31
My guess is they'll add espionage in an expansion, as with civ4. By the way, would this be the first civ version where building fortresses (or the great wall...) will actually make a difference?

Robi D
11-03-2010, 14:26
By the way, would this be the first civ version where building fortresses (or the great wall...) will actually make a difference?

It looks like it

Beam
11-03-2010, 18:28
And probably the first where units in a city don't affect happiness.

Socrates
11-03-2010, 20:50
It looks like tactical skills will be needed on the main map. Although I like the sound of "tactical", I hope it is not too much detailed.

And I'm starting to think that one should really seperate strategic movements and tactical movements (a la Heroes of Might and Magic), because firing from 2 tiles away really looks stupid. I'd rather see armies meeting in a same tile and fight there with the help of a distinct micro-battlefield.

barbu1977
11-03-2010, 21:04
Previous Civ games have been dominated by the "stack of doom" where players create an unstoppable super unit by piling all of their units in a single square.

Any one remembers the CIV2 SOD?

BCLG100
12-03-2010, 02:43
You can only remember it if you were on the winning side, if you weren't.....

I'm not too bothered about the lack of espionage, it makes a difference i guess if you're playing MP but i can rarely be bothered to use it SP as the AI are very predictable.

Stapel
13-03-2010, 17:51
One thing I'm worried about is the efforts put in making the game more realistic. I know some people like the idea of realism in a game, but I find it utter nonsense. IT IS A GAME! Most changes for the good of quasi-realism come at the cost of playability.

Also, the most obvious changes are on the graphics level..... Who cares? The graphic details in cIV are lightyears too far from what one needs to play the game in a enjoyable way.

Does anybody here like the idea that, when you zoom in on a mine, you can actually see a cart moving into the mine? I've always wondered who the hell came up with that idea.

Beam
13-03-2010, 23:15
One thing I'm worried about is the efforts put in making the game more realistic. I know some people like the idea of realism in a game, but I find it utter nonsense. IT IS A GAME! Most changes for the good of quasi-realism come at the cost of playability.

Also, the most obvious changes are on the graphics level..... Who cares? The graphic details in cIV are lightyears too far from what one needs to play the game in a enjoyable way.

Does anybody here like the idea that, when you zoom in on a mine, you can actually see a cart moving into the mine? I've always wondered who the hell came up with that idea.

Wild guess: 2k? LOL

Furiey
14-03-2010, 02:32
Even better was whoever decided that those bloody trees had to wave about a pixel from side to side all the time...

BCLG100
14-03-2010, 04:35
the elephant moving was always amusing i found!

Socrates
14-03-2010, 11:43
I liked the pigs messing around at first. :) Especially as you founded Islam. :D

Robboo
06-04-2010, 03:34
This all sounds good but now I have to upgrade my computer. OR do I tell the wife i need a new lap top and bargin for a new video card.

I don't think my GeForce 6150 LE will cut it on this. Civ 4 almost made it die.

/Yeah it took Civ 5 to get me back posting.

Shabbaman
06-04-2010, 10:23
/Yeah it took Civ 5 to get me back posting.

We need more frequent editions of civ ;)

BCLG100
06-04-2010, 19:09
i imagine we'll get something yearly following civ 5 what with expansion packs

Robboo
07-04-2010, 01:59
I think Civ 4 kept me out of trouble for 3 to 4 years. And since the world is ending in 2012, this one and expansions should keep us busy till then .

barbu1977
07-04-2010, 02:42

I'm doing the same thing I've done in III and IV.
- Wait for the first patch to be out before buying the game
- Skip the first expansion pack. (it is going to be included in the second one)
- Get the second expansion pack.

BCLG100
07-04-2010, 04:08
I just hope that in the end you don't need a NASA supercomputer to run the damn thing

Shabbaman
07-04-2010, 10:10
I have to say that the expansions for civ4 didn't make the game more enjoyable for me. There's so much crap that doesn't add to the core gameplay.

barbu1977
07-04-2010, 16:00
To me, the expansion is more of a revised rule version.

I never played a single scenario.

BCLG100
07-04-2010, 17:41
The bonus civilisations are normally a good reason i find in the expansion packs which bring more to the game.

I'd recommend some of the scenarios, i enjoyed the historical ones but that may just be me.

Shabbaman
16-06-2010, 23:51
I´ve found some interesting screenies (http://kotaku.com/5564652/civilization-vs-screenshots-are-taking-over-our-world/gallery/).

Furiey
17-06-2010, 02:07
If anyone is on Facebook, you can join the Civilization groups and get the latest info as they post it.

Furiey
17-06-2010, 02:40

I just hope we don't get a steady stream of DLC they expect us to buy.

Shabbaman
17-06-2010, 12:57
What you can already see that's happening is that you can buy DLC that you can use in the vanilla game. This is different from what happened in previous versions. With the pre-order you get a bonus civ (bonus leader), while you couldn't use BtS civs in the vanilla game. TBH I'd rather get the "BtS update" for free and then choose (not) to pay for additional civs. Steamworks makes this possible. Firaxis always had a different business model, but the model I just described might earn them more money: everyone is playing the same game, while what you see now is that no one is playing vanilla civ4 but BtS instead. On the one hand you have the group of people that don't buy the expansion and could stop playing (because of the lack of opponents), while the other group might buy the expension just because everybody else does. If the first group is bigger than the second group, then "my" model is better than the classic Firaxis model. It's also more consistent with how it's working in a lot of other current games: microtransactions are a good way to earn money.

Let's face it: Firaxis will come up with a shitload of additional content. Civ5 will lack content that's already finished, just so they can get more money from us. This has been the case since Play the World :mad:

Shabbaman
21-07-2010, 14:32
There are some updates on the official civ5 site. I thought this one (http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_strategic_view) to be of particular interest. Basically this view turns the game into civ1.

http://downloads.2kgames.com/civ5/site13/images/features/strategicview/Strategic_Early.jpg

http://downloads.2kgames.com/civ5/site13/images/features/strategicview/Strategic_Middle.jpg

http://downloads.2kgames.com/civ5/site13/images/features/strategicview/Strategic_Late.jpg

It looks clean, I like it.

Socrates
21-07-2010, 20:42
This top view of hex tiles sure is something pretty. Add 2 or 3 zoom levels and you have a killer interface.

Oh, and I don't like movies in 3D either. ;)

ProPain
21-07-2010, 21:53
It looks clean, I like it.

I second that

Furiey
21-07-2010, 23:51
3rded.

barbu1977
22-07-2010, 00:03
It looks like Mémoire 44 Board game:
http://static0.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/fr/img/mm_photo2.jpg

Matrix
22-07-2010, 02:28
Ohh, goody! My dream comes true: old fashioned 2D interface!! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/jump.gif

Now lets hope the game is fun as well. [rolleyes]

Shabbaman
22-07-2010, 18:05
My dream comes true: old fashioned 2D interface!!

If this would really enable 2d gameplay I bet that will increase performance on older systems dramatically. Wishful thinking.

BCLG100
22-07-2010, 19:06
If I wanted to play a retro game then I'd play a retro game, personally I think it looks quite crap but you can't tell that much from stills.

Matrix
23-07-2010, 00:19
If I could play Civ4 with a Civ1 interface, my life would be complete.

grahamiam
23-07-2010, 05:01
I'm now getting lost in the different versions that will available for download or boxed copy. Normal + Deluxe (Steam) on Steam; Normal + Deluxe (D2D) on Direct to Drive; Normal + Collectors retail. Deluxe (Steam) is not the same as Deluxe (D2D), though Deluxe (D2D) requires Steam to run. Collectors edition has trinkets but not the downloadable content available in Deluxe (Steam) nor Deluxe (D2D).

W [goggle] T [goggle] F [crazyeye] !

I do like the 2D zoomed-out look. Nice and clean. Unlike the marketing, which is bat-shit crazy.

Furiey
23-07-2010, 13:42
All the different versions is an absolute nightmare. I too will be looking for a copy as my £9.95 order was not unexpectedly cancelled. It looks at the moment that D2D have the best offer if you don't actually want a pretty box.

Shabbaman
23-07-2010, 13:59
If you go with D2D you are stuck with two digital distribution platforms at the same time. That doesn't seem optimal.

Furiey
23-07-2010, 14:30
And that's the downside. They have confirmed that there is no additional DRM other than that provided by steam so that is something.

ProPain
25-07-2010, 01:03
I'm now getting lost in the different versions that will available for download or boxed copy. Normal + Deluxe (Steam) on Steam; Normal + Deluxe (D2D) on Direct to Drive; Normal + Collectors retail. Deluxe (Steam) is not the same as Deluxe (D2D), though Deluxe (D2D) requires Steam to run. Collectors edition has trinkets but not the downloadable content available in Deluxe (Steam) nor Deluxe (D2D).

W [goggle] T [goggle] F [crazyeye] !

I do like the 2D zoomed-out look. Nice and clean. Unlike the marketing, which is bat-shit crazy.

Welcome to Civ V pokemon. Gotta catch them all.

Personally I don't care much about scenario's and maps. And although I like steam I prefer a boxed copy of Civ. Just hope they won't put that crappy SecuRom on it cause then I just might end up going Steam after all.

Furiey
25-07-2010, 03:33
I think all the disc versions are likely to be the files to install the game plus the key to activate it on steam. At least that is what the Total War games I've bought on disc have been like.

Stapel
26-07-2010, 11:01
Does anyone know the PC specs for Civ V?

Shabbaman
26-07-2010, 11:54
Not really. Which is strange considering that you can already buy the game, but oh well... But the game will work on laptops with integrated graphics (read: very shitty crap), so I assume the game will be tough on processing power. The game has a new engine, not that lousy Gamebryo with it's compatibility issues.

socralynnek
26-07-2010, 12:28
That is why I am not already pre-ordering it. If it works on my PC (4 years old), then I might get it this year, otherwise I will probably wait for the first expansion pack or something like that.

Stapel
26-07-2010, 12:54
Not really. Which is strange considering that you can already buy the game, but oh well... But the game will work on laptops with integrated graphics (read: very shitty crap), so I assume the game will be tough on processing power. The game has a new engine, not that lousy Gamebryo with it's compatibility issues.

WHERE?

Shabbaman
26-07-2010, 13:48
Pre-order, don't get your hopes up... But if it turns out that it doesn't work on your computer, you can't get a refund. That's why I think it's odd that it's on (pre)sale without publishing system requirements.

Stapel
26-07-2010, 14:46
Pre-order, don't get your hopes up... But if it turns out that it doesn't work on your computer, you can't get a refund. That's why I think it's odd that it's on (pre)sale without publishing system requirements.

I had seen a pre-order option at BOL. The had the dat exactly one month earlier than the official relaese date. Proabaly a typo.......

About the specs: that's just weird. They must know.......

I've been looking around here and there, but no succes so far.
What does worry me: There is a lot of crap going on about steam. What is steam, why does it exist, why is it mandatory, and why is that a bad thing?

Socrates
26-07-2010, 20:32
What does worry me: There is a lot of crap going on about steam. What is steam, why does it exist, why is it mandatory, and why is that a bad thing?

Bullshitting the customer with numeric handcuffs while offering no real added value ?

Stapel
26-07-2010, 21:22
Bullshitting the customer with numeric handcuffs while offering no real added value ?

But....., why? And what is it anyway?

Shabbaman
26-07-2010, 23:06
Long story short: it's some form of DRM. I've been using it for some years now, and I'm very happy with it.

Stapel
26-07-2010, 23:48
Long story short: it's some form of DRM. I've been using it for some years now, and I'm very happy with it.

DRM?

Furiey
27-07-2010, 00:01
Digital Rights Managemnt
So it replaces something like SafeDisc or SecureRom which rely on checking the disc with activation over the internet. Once activated you don't have to be connected everytime you play, but you will need to connect for patches. You can install on as many machines as you like but only play on one at a time (not sure how they check this if you are in offline mode though). If you need to re-install just redownload from steam. Some people are worried about privacy issues, and that steam might revoke their licences for no readily apparent reason. Personally, after my issues with Civ 4 sent me hunting for deoderant I would prefer steam to safedisc or the like. I've only been using Steam for a few months now but have had no problems.

Socrates
27-07-2010, 01:40
There have been many examples of problems about such DRMs so far (eg. the Amazon Kindle incident). Just the fact that somebody controls my stuff is enough for me to discard such a system. I don't want a babysitter. [xx(] And like I said, no added value compared to the common CD you could buy ten years ago.
So, to answer Stapel's question : Why ? So that they can control their business more.

Stapel
27-07-2010, 08:19
Actually, not needing a CD, once you have installed, sounds like a very very big plus to me! God, I find that annoying!

Stapel
27-07-2010, 09:57
Well, I did fianlly find this on game-debate.com:

Civilization V
PREDICTED System Requirements*
Intel Processor - Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz
AMD Processor - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+
Nvidia Graphics Card - Geforce 8800 GTS
ATI Graphics Card - Radeon HD 3800 series
RAM Memory - 2 GB
Hard Disk Space - 9 GB
Direct X - 9
* Predicted System requirements are based on recommended system requirements. If you disagree with our predictions then we encorouge you to login and let us know. Send an email or post a message on our forum. We really want to know! Through your help we can advance our predictions.

Shabbaman
27-07-2010, 10:54
We have a thread about Steam right here (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5119).

I have my doubts with the requirements you posted, Stapel. The combination of processor and graphics card is odd, to say the least. The processor could be more or less correct, but it's a 4 year old irregular processor (which with I mean: no one in the world has this processor). On the other hand, I think the graphics card is overkill. You can play current FPS with that thing on medium settings, and a TBS game isn't that demanding (read: no animations with at least 30 fps to be playable) on the graphics side.

My guess is that they took some hardware that was state of the art 3-4 years ago. This setup is not (and very likely never has been) a proper gaming machine, if only for the fact that the E6700 isn't a good processor. Every gaming machine in that time had a E6600, because that was about half the price and could be overclocked to E6700 speeds. I have a E6420 (despite the lower number actually newer than a E6700) with an ATI 4870 and I would be amazed if I can't play large maps on high settings. If anything, those requirements are for a recommended system, not minimal system requirements.

I know this technical bla bla doesn't answer your question, you just want to know if your computer will run the game. Let's just put it this way: yes ;) Happy now?

Stapel
27-07-2010, 13:09
I have an Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 1,86 GHz, 1,5 GB and a NVIDIA GFORCE 7300 GT.

What I really want to know: Do I need a new PC? Is this fine? Or should I upgrade my graphics card and/or add some memory?

Shabbaman
27-07-2010, 14:13
This is a desktop right? I think it's possible to overclock the processor a bit. It's not extremely worse than my CPU. It's hard to say if the graphics card is good enough: if they go with directx10 then no, otherwise it should work on very low graphics. The memory is on the low side though. Is your windows a bit slow?

I don't think it's worth upgrading, unless you can mooch some memory off someone. Upgrading a single part will lead to a bottleneck in another part, so you could just as well buy a whole new system. Chances are you will be able to play civ5 on this, but I wouldn't be amazed if larger maps (or higher detail) will impact performance. If I were you I would just see how it runs and start saving for a new computer next year.

grahamiam
27-07-2010, 15:29
I have read that the game is multithreaded, so will be able to take advantage of 2 or more cores. It was also designed to be run on integrated graphics, but that 7300GT is pretty darn old so I don't know how it compares.

I've also read that it's made with Dx11, which actually, is better than Dx10 since it allows it to scale across a greater range of video cards (hence the integrated graphics comment) including DX9 cards.
Direct3D 11 will run on down-level hardware
Multithreading!
Direct3D 10.1, 10 and 9 hardware/drivers
Full functionality (for example, tesselation) will require Direct3D 11 hardware

However, DX11 is only available in Windows 7 and Vista, so I'm not sure what this means for Win XP users.

Shabbaman
27-07-2010, 16:56
However, DX11 is only available in Windows 7 and Vista, so I'm not sure what this means for Win XP users.

That's a good point, but that goes for dx10 as well.

Stapel
27-07-2010, 17:21
Smells like new PC.....

Shabbaman
27-07-2010, 18:50
It's still speculation. But if you need an.excuse to let judith buy you a new system: your dx11 nerdulator is inadequate.

socralynnek
27-07-2010, 19:27
I am hoping for "scalable system requirements". THis phrase is somewhere on the Civ5 webpage. So, I hope, they hae a mode, where a normal 4 year-ld single core PC runs it. I don't need fancy graphics and I wouldldn't buy a new machine only for Civ5. At least not in the upcoming months...

Robboo
31-07-2010, 03:30
all this talk of Civ has got me itching for a new machine. It seems I buy a new machine every odd numbered Civ release.
:)

My wife is a computer nerd for high end stuff to run her work machines and imagining. She said..."give me the specs of the game and I will build you a machine to run it with no issues..."

Damn I married up....

Then I just saw the trailer to XCOM.... I Still play old XCOM. If someone remakes MOO before the world ends in 2012 I will die happy.

grahamiam
31-07-2010, 06:43
I am not too thrilled with the new XCOM. That said, new XCOM will need a lot more horsepower than CIV 5, so go with those requirements.

Robboo
31-07-2010, 15:15
I am not too thrilled with the new XCOM. That said, new XCOM will need a lot more horsepower than CIV 5, so go with those requirements.

I admit I was thinking they raped a classic by having liquid oil looking aliens. SO I may or may not get it right at release, I may let the price come down. BUT I am hoping its a quality remake. I havent read much or looked into you other than about 15 minutes yesterday.

ProPain
01-08-2010, 23:12
I really love Steam but having Civ using it as DRM worries me a bit because it means automatic and mandatory updates to latest patches. I foresee PBEM trouble.

Shabbaman
02-08-2010, 11:54
I was having the same discussion with Stapel. We true civ nerds know of the problems that arise with updates, but this time the updates are mandatory. So your opponent will always use the same version. The real problem is if Firaxis comes up with an update that nobody likes.

Socrates
02-08-2010, 20:08
I was having the same discussion with Stapel. We true civ nerds know of the problems that arise with updates, but this time the updates are mandatory. So your opponent will always use the same version. The real problem is if Firaxis comes up with an update that nobody likes.

And an update enforcement is an attack on your disposal of the software you're using. Bad, bad DRM !! [xx(]

Shabbaman
02-08-2010, 20:37
An update enforcement could be part of the EULA to begin with. Using software is not the same as buying a bread. You don't buy the software, you temporarily get the right to use the software in the manner you and the programmer agree on.

Stapel
02-08-2010, 21:03
Though I'm not a huge fan of on-line registration, I do think this is not the worst idea.

However, I can imagine that, at some point, Firaxis comes up with a really crap update, forcing us civvers to use a crack, in order to play the game properly....

Socrates
02-08-2010, 21:57
An update enforcement could be part of the EULA to begin with. Using software is not the same as buying a bread. You don't buy the software, you temporarily get the right to use the software in the manner you and the programmer agree on.

Totally. But I get to disagree with such EULAs to begin with. That's why I stay away from such software now. ;) Civ or not. Not feeding the beast is the least I can do.

Shabbaman
02-08-2010, 22:42
Yeah, I understand. It sucks monkey balls that you can't do with what you "think" you've just bought.

Furiey
02-08-2010, 23:18
Though I'm not a huge fan of on-line registration, I do think this is not the worst idea.

However, I can imagine that, at some point, Firaxis comes up with a really crap update, forcing us civvers to use a crack, in order to play the game properly....They did that to me with Civ 4. I never did get it to recognise the disc (nor the 2 expansions) on my old pc and found out what deoderant was as a result. Obviously we would all like no DRM. Steam for me at the moment seems the better option if we have to have DRM though.

Shabbaman
03-08-2010, 10:13
There are downsides to Steam as well though. Basically you get the game as the publisher ships it. This means that if there's securom on the disc, you get securom with the Steam version as well. This makes no sense, but otoh it's not Valve's fault. I have some problems with the steam overlay, but that's because I am alt-tabbing a lot. And for some games you can't use expansions that you buy on steam with games you installed from a disc (also, very likely the publishers fault). This has something to do with whether or not you can register your disc on Steam. Personally I haven't had this particular problem, but I see it being mentioned in the system requirements (in the steam library).

The main reason I'm so happy with Steam is that I'm so happy with Valve, they give great support to their games. Steam is DRM, but besides that it's also superbly integrated into the match fixing system that Valve uses for it's games. I've had bad experiences with similar programs from EA (Battlefield 2) and THQ (Company of Heroes). Matchmaking programs are essential nowadays, and there's nothing better at it than Steam.

In the "DRM" category, Steam is also pretty lenient. Most DRM systems let you install the game you bought 5 times. This is really absurd. Sometimes this has an upside, for instance on the PS3 you can install the same game on 5 different systems. With Steam, you can install and uninstall as often as you want.

BTW, don't forget to become a member of the CDZ steam group.

Robi D
05-08-2010, 16:17
I saw on the CFC they annouced giant death robots (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=374017). Now that all nice and interesting, but the best bit is the responses. Most of them are complaining that its not realistic! [rotfl] This from the same people that don't even raise an eyebrow at building a space ship to Alpha Centauri.

Good old CFC, providing a place for stupid people to gather so they can be laughed at;)

Shabbaman
05-08-2010, 18:15
Pretty cool.

The "Giant Death Robot" is a giant bipedal mechanical robot armed with a variety of missiles, Gatling gun arms, laser-beam eyes and a deadly kung-fu punch. Although not currently found in the modern battlefield, no doubt across the world governments and evil corporations are secretly developing these metal behemoths even as we speak. When these robots come into service, all of the world's other weaponry will become obsolete, and humanity's fate will be decided by a climactic battle between armies of good and evil Giant Death Robots in the streets of downtown Tokyo (assuming that the giant radioactive monsters don't get us first.)

I like the "will become obsolete" part. I also like giant death robots, so I think I'll like the Giant Death Robot.

Shabbaman
11-09-2010, 11:39
How To Beat Three People At Civilization V Multiplayer (http://kotaku.com/5633827/how-to-beat-three-people-at-civilization-v-multiplayer?skyline=true&s=i) is funny:

The fog thing will not be your only mistake. You will, by turn 22 have learned some things that a wisely-run civilization should not do.

1) Don't build Mecca in a desert, no matter how historically accurate that may seem. Primitive, game-starting man can't yet drill for oil, can't build farms yet. He can fish, but boy do those forests just out of reach look good for cutting lumber. Too bad forests aren't in the desert.

2) Don't send your scouts toward the barbarians at the south, after they just got roughed up by the barbarians in the west.

3) Don't assume computer-run city-states Venice and Cape Town are going to help.

ProPain
11-09-2010, 19:22
That article and the screenies do make me curious after the game.