PDA

View Full Version : My snooker 'career'

Matrix
03-11-2009, 13:29
Sunday I had a small snooker tournament of NNRS (Noord-Nederlands Ranking Snooker). Twenty participants, B-ranking, so all silly amateurs. And I was the runner-up! [yeah] It was a knockout tournament, with a 'losers knockout' for those who lost in the first round. All matches in the real knockout stage were best-of-3.

The first match was simple, against a schoolboy. 2-0 But I did make a break of 26! Eight balls in sequence, which is my highest break ever. (I did make a break of 27 once, but that was only six balls: a clearance at the end.)

The second match (quarter final) was a bit tougher. A smart and steady player who doesn't miss easy balls and never plays the wrong shot. But I simply 'outpotted' him, also with better positional play. I won 2-1, having lost the first frame.
The semi-final...that was it! Simply my best performance ever! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/jump.gif I knew my opponent and he did have the better papers. First frame went to him with over 50 points in difference. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/ack.gif In the second frame he quickly took an advantage of 20 points and I basically considered it to be a lost cause. I thought "I can only give my best." Yet somehow I crawled my way towards him, made a small break before the end at which point I only needed the pink to clinch the frame. The adrenaline rushed through me, which for the first time ever worked against me! (Usually it helps.) I missed it twice, but he missed too and the third time was a charm.

Last frame was very very tense, but I could sense his uncertainty. We were close all the way and only made very few points. This time my opponent only needed pink. He missed, I went for the double, which came out as a triple (that happens) and lined up for the final black, with my heart in my throat, and potted it. I then shouted "Yes!" and literally jumped for joy.

In the final I met my nemesis, against whom I had to play a lot of times already and always lost. I was lucky only to meet him in the final. Other people might defeat him, but his tactical play is simply superior. His break building too for that matter. :p Perhaps one day though...

Entry fee was €5 and the price for runner-up was €15. But I spend €22 on food and drinks that day. [tongue]

Ok, who cares about a silly little tournament such as this one? Fact is I've been playing snooker for over a decade now, but only started playing tournaments since less than a year. When I started them, I didn't stand a chance, so the fact that I've reached the final this time, defeating someone I considered to be far superior above me in the process, is what makes this a grand victory for me! [smokin]

But I have more to look up to: next step is winning such a tournament and/or defeating my nemesis. The following step is winning the masters. (There are eight tournaments such as sunday's. You obtain ranking points with them. The best eight or sixteen, depending on the attendance of the tournaments are invited to play the masters.) And after that I can try to do the same in the A-ranking. [tongue] But A-players make 30-breaks on a regular basis. I still have none.

Shabbaman
03-11-2009, 13:54
Congratulations. So I guess we'll see you on BBC or Eurosport soon.

Darkness
03-11-2009, 14:01
Congrats!

Lt. Killer M
03-11-2009, 14:54
very nice :)

I love snooker, but suck so horribly at it that I can only play it on holiday, when I am the least drunk person in the room, so that everybody thinks I play so badly because I am drunk ;)

barbu1977
03-11-2009, 15:25
Good news.

Starting to play tournament is a treat when wanting to go a step ahead in a sport. The adrenaline, the people you meet.

Snooker, I played once and that in not easy compared to pool. Since I sucked at pool, I totaly sucked at snooker.

Stapel
03-11-2009, 15:26
I like stories like this. Sportsman heroics at club levels!

Do you practice a lot, Matrix? I mean, having the table for just your self and then trying to pot the same type of ball again & again? Or are the matches your training?

Matrix
03-11-2009, 19:17
Nice, so many replies. :)

I hardly train, although I do play a line-up frequently. I.e. all the red balls on the line between the black and the brown ball and play on my own. To make it a little more exciting I play as such that every shot costs me one point. So if I pot red, the score stays the same; if I pot blue I get 5-1=4 points; if I miss I lose one point and on a foul I drop five points. That way the challenge is to end with a positive score, which I usually get nowadays.

Sometimes when I notice there's a certain angle that I always miss, I do practice on that, so I do take care of fixing my weakest points. :)

@Shabbaman: not that I think that you're serious, but it's only now that I have improved so much in the last year, I see what a huge difference there is between the top and the amateurs. Snooker is 10% talent and 90% experience & technique. You only know what your options are and what to do when you've seen the balls moving as a reaction of what you did previously. E.g. you might think that you can hold the cue ball for a certain colour if you play a stun shot, but once you hit it you see the cue ball ending up on the other side of the table. Next time you know that's not possible, so you try something else. That all comes through experience. Most professional snooker players haven't finished secondary school and some even not primary! Because once they (or parents) found out they've got that 10% talent, they just practice, practice and practice to get that 90% experience.

akots
03-11-2009, 22:38
Yes, IMO, it is mostly just exercise and exercise and then exercise more.

ProPain
09-11-2009, 20:51
looks like we need a snooker table at the next CDZ meeting

Matrix
22-11-2009, 21:29
Yea, for practicing. I only won one match on today's tournament. :(

Bah, I'm spoiled. ;)

Besides, on a positive note I can mention I made my first 30-break last wednesday. [yeah] (Exactly 30 points; nine balls in sequence.)

Stapel
22-12-2009, 21:07
looks like we need a snooker table at the next CDZ meeting

Well, there is a snooker centre only 5 minutes (walking drunk) away from my home. It might be an option....

Matrix
22-12-2009, 22:41
Hehe, watch out, I'll remember that. ;)