PDA

View Full Version : I must pause my PBEMs

Lt. Killer M
11-10-2009, 18:46
Folks,

I am sorry, but I must put all my PBEMs on hold. I caught a pretty dangerous boot sector virus, probably over our work network. This bypassed our work firewall and malware protection, and additionally my laptop's own firewall and antivirus softwares! [:O]:eek:

Therefore, I do not feel confident that I can guarantee that files I send are not infected. Thus, the PBEMs are on hold until this issue is resolved (which will take forever, given how great our IT department is).

Matrix
11-10-2009, 19:29
Good luck with that.

Though I think that if you send the savegames with via the game itself it's nearly impossible for that virus to join in.

Beam
11-10-2009, 21:08
Exactly what virus are we talking about? Good luck resolving it, if it really is a rootkit usually the only way solving it is a reinstallation from scratch.

Lt. Killer M
11-10-2009, 21:57
well, what is it? There, the porblem starts: some softwares identify it as Sinowal.E, but the made-to-purpose checker for it finds a clean boot record.

Since this thingy - if it even is a thingy - bypassed Sophos and Antivir, I am being very cautious right now.

Lt. Killer M
14-10-2009, 11:48
Troubles not resolved :( I can't even get our so smart IT guys on the phone, and since the kids are sick I must stay home. AARGH!

Robi D
14-10-2009, 16:36
i'm sure you'll get it sorted eventually. Do you have anyone to sub for you in cut more crap at least?

Lt. Killer M
14-10-2009, 16:48
i'm sure you'll get it sorted eventually. Do you have anyone to sub for you in cut more crap at least?

I can continue playing that, because no files are transferred :)

Beam
14-10-2009, 17:03
I can continue playing that, because no files are transferred :)

And in case it could infect otherwise my antivirus / firewall would have noticed. [estwing]

Lt. Killer M
05-11-2009, 01:27
Good news (or at least so-so news): I will probably be able to have my laptop re-installed by Friday next week, and will be able to play PBEMs again the following Monday (no net during the weekend).

Lt. Killer M
27-11-2009, 15:17
I got my laptop back - installing a new system plus acrobat and office took - two weeks :eek:

but I expect to be able to continue my games from monday on.:D

Lt. Killer M
28-11-2009, 21:59
Could everyone with whom I am currently engaged in a PBEM please email me the last save again? I have them somewhere in my backup, so if you do not react I will still find the game, but if you email things go a lot easier and thus faster for me.