PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft 2

Shabbaman
24-08-2009, 23:29
So, anyone looking forward to Starcraft 2? It looks great, and I enjoyed the old starcraft very much. Great single player game as well. Here (http://kotaku.com/tag/starcraft-ii/) are some movies and pictures for you to enjoy.

barbu1977
25-08-2009, 01:50
I don't have a machine that is close make it run. So, not so mutch for me!

Shabbaman
25-08-2009, 09:22
Hm, well, since I mainly play shooters these days that's not so much of a problem for me. I wouldn't be surprised if it could run on very low tech systems though, Blizzard would want to ship as many units as possible.

ProPain
26-08-2009, 00:29
I still consider SC the best RTS ever. When I got an ISDN connection 12 years ago I spent hours (mostly middle of the night) playing online Starcraft.

So yes I'm looking forward to this and will get it asap [:)]

Matrix
26-08-2009, 15:05
Never played Starcraft. [blush]

Shabbaman
26-08-2009, 15:52
Wut... well, you can still start playing it...

Beorn
26-09-2009, 04:37
I was planning on putting a map together for it, based on Gal Civ... if I still work up here in the North, I'll have plenty of off time for progging every now and then.

Shabbaman
26-09-2009, 10:02
I don't get it. Based on what part of gal civ?

ProPain
11-06-2010, 23:00
Release date for this baby is set to 27th of July. Which is a pain cause I'll be on holiday in France and I'm guessing a French version will be very much different from a Dutch one. So for now I trust Bliz to live up to their reputation and postpone release date at least once.

Shabbaman
11-06-2010, 23:26
Haven't you played the beta? Apparently the game isn't that much better than the first starcraft.

ProPain
13-08-2010, 21:09
Bought it yesterday and played around with it a bit. Here's my first impression.

Is it very different from the original Starcraft?
It's not a modern day remake like Civ Col or Monkey Island SE but it's not an entirely new game either. The campaign is a sequel to SC1, the gameplay is largely identical with some old and quite some new units.

So what is new?
The campaign mode isn't entirely linear and apparently you have some faction alignment choices to make (not there myself). What is kinda nifty is that you earn cash with your missions that you can spend on upgrades which you would have to research in normal MP mode. So instead of researching them you just start of with them but also you can not research them in campaign mode: you need to buy them between missions. Gives the campaign a different feel from the MP game. Storyline of the campaign is really good, as far as I can see now (just started). :)

Also new: challenges. SP missions that are there to prepare you for the MP game. Havent tried them, but they look good and basically are extra SP content. Blizzard added achievements to the game as well, both for SP and MP. New for SC but sort of standard for all games these days.

The game ships with a heap of maps for MP, looks really good. Haven't tried online MP yet, but will for sure once I have the hang of it again.

Should I buy the game?
If you remotely like RTS, you should buy this game! The original SC was the best RTS ever imo, SC II looks like a worthy sequel. Pity it took Bliz 12 years to make it.

Oh and if you bought/buy it, lemme now so you can kick my ass. :)

ProPain
13-09-2010, 18:08
BUMP

So really nobody into starcraft here? If so just give a shout and join Mel, KingReno and myself on the european realms.

Beorn
13-09-2010, 18:21
I have a bunch of friends who work on a few SC2 maps called Encounter at Tiamat, Civilization Wars and SC Temples. All are more or less semi-RTS, semi-civilization management with development ages, economy, techs and unit upgrades. I used to play Wc3 with them on a map mod called Civilization Wars which was essentially the same; the designer used to be a CIV beta tester (allegedly the one who suggested chariots deal extra damage to axes for balance).

There's a lot of youths out there and the occasional drama but the games on Wc3 used to be great. Their forum is over at http://forums.claneat.com/ although I haven't kept in touch since SC2 and I can't tell whether the maps are well underway or not. They're mainly on US East, if that still matters. If I were to get on SC2, that's where I would start looking for MP games. Mr_Kyo (US East) and DerSatan (Europe, German) are great guys, they were the best friends I had on Wc3 and I believe they are both playing SC2 now.

barbu1977
13-09-2010, 19:01
I'm going on vacation soon, and I did not want the game to come accross, planing/sleeping.

I should get it a bit later this fall.

ProPain
13-09-2010, 20:41
If I were to get on SC2, that's where I would start looking for MP games. Mr_Kyo (US East) and DerSatan (Europe, German) are great guys, they were the best friends I had on Wc3 and I believe they are both playing SC2 now.

In that case you'd better wait before you buy the game as Bliz hasn't made cross realm play possible yet. So if you have a European CD key, you'll have to play the European servers. Same for US etc.

Lots of complaining about this, Quebec for example has French versions that connect to EU servers and English ones that connect to US. Not very smart. Bliz has promised they'd make cross realm play possible but it isnt here yet.

Beorn
13-09-2010, 21:07
PITA. That means a horde of kids from around here, who speak no english (and inadequate french), get tossed around with dutch, english, german, italian, spanish players and make a great big mess of it all. Joy. I guess waiting a while before getting it isn't such a bad idea. Plus, I get to work on my master's harder ... for another week until Civ5 comes [mischief]

ProPain
14-09-2010, 08:24
Well not sure, but it seems the game also recongises french coded version and tries to keep the froggies together as I haven't seen a single one untill now.

I could be totally wrong ofc as Europe does seem to have only one ladder system.

But still Bliz should fix this asap, internet made people all over the world connect and now Blizzard comes up with a system that takes us back to the 80's.....

barbu1977
12-10-2010, 20:50
I got it yesterday (Civ 5 will have to wait, I asked for both for my birthday and it looks like my brothers decided I would play SC2 before CivV.)

I've played the first 3 missions and up to now game play is feels exactly the same as starcraft (I'm not sure is this is good or bad). Let's see if there are changes in the next missions.

I would have liked a zoom out - zoom in with scroll wheel a bit like Civ IV. I think active view is too small.

Anyways, it looks like a nicely packaged game.

ProPain
12-10-2010, 23:16
I got it yesterday (Civ 5 will have to wait, I asked for both for my birthday and it looks like my brothers decided I would play SC2 before CivV.)

I've played the first 3 missions and up to now game play is feels exactly the same as starcraft (I'm not sure is this is good or bad). Let's see if there are changes in the next missions.

I would have liked a zoom out - zoom in with scroll wheel a bit like Civ IV. I think active view is too small.

Anyways, it looks like a nicely packaged game.

It is very similar to starcraft especially in the campaign which has a few old SC1 units that you won't find in multiplayer games. (firebat, vulture, medic). Changes aren't really lifechanging over all, but for someone like me who has considered SC1 the RTS ever that's a good thing.

Zoom out would have been incredible, I totally agree with you on that. Who knows maybe we get that in a patch or something.

Now we only have to hope we get that 'play with your friends across the globe option' Blizzard promised us soon so we can play together.

If you want to look in awe at some SC2 pro's I recommend the following SC2 commentators

Husky (http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft)
HDstarcraft (http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft?feature=chclk)

A great strategist is Day[9], former SC1 US champion. He has a brilliant daily but it's an hour every day so rather time consuming for those not studying/unemployed/careless about sleep deprivation

Day[9] (http://www.youtube.com/user/day9tv)

ProPain
18-10-2010, 10:22
So Barbu, how's the campaign going?

And what's are your Bnet details so I can add you to my friends list (assuming you're on the Euro servers)

barbu1977
18-10-2010, 16:09
I'm trying to limit myself to 1 mission a night. And it's going well.

I started to play at hard, and realized it was a bit too hard for my casual gameplay (It seems you cannot slow the game down in order to queue multiple orders). I can usualy pass the mission at hard with 3-4 reloads or at normal on the first try (or second in order to get all the objectives.)

I'll check my batlenet details tonight ( I don't remember what I put there), but it is likely I'll play in the US server since I have the English version of the game.

ProPain
21-10-2010, 19:15
English game in Canada is on US servers afaik, so we have to wait.

I finished all campaign missions on normal except the last one. Waiting to do that because of a bug in achievement counting for hard and brutal missions. Currently redoing missions in hard and brutal mode and to get all mission achievements. About 50% done in hard & 33% in brutal.

ProPain
24-03-2011, 17:41
So nobody new was tempted to jump on SC2 bandwagon??

Currently the end of the 1st ladder season is nearing and I'm struggling in silver league in most categories, except for 4v4 where the game deemed me worthy of platinum, it's a mystery to me. Haven't played a lot of ladder games though so that prolly explains. Spent a lot of time in practice league.

Still the game comes highly recommended. The level of the players is generally very high and competitive and it's good fun.

barbu1977
24-03-2011, 19:17
I did finish the single player mode, for some reason (time mostly) I have not played multiplayer.

Shabbaman
25-03-2011, 09:23
So nobody new was tempted to jump on SC2 bandwagon??

Tempted a lot, but I'm keeping away from it. Competitive TF2 takes most of my time, and although I liked SC1 a lot I know that SC2 is not different in the aspect that I didn't like: compulsive build orders in multiplayer. And I'm playing Shogun2 now.

ProPain
25-03-2011, 10:06
There's variety in build orders. And especially on the lower levels (where your truly operates) it isn't that bad.

Beorn
26-03-2011, 02:09
Thesis first, SC2 later. It'll only feel better when I get it - cough and be patched better too cough.

ProPain
26-03-2011, 09:14
I think Bliz is pretty good with it's patches. Game balance is quite good imo, maybe some nerfs maybe were a bit too much (reaper was nerfed to death) and the interface is constantly worked on. Major thing they dropped the ball on is the regional play thing. I still dont know why I can't play with US based gamers, except for commercial reasons ofc.

Shabbaman
26-03-2011, 10:09
Well, we're in the same league as some russians, and it's impossible to kill their scouts because of terrible ping. And apparently there are a lot off russians...

ProPain
26-03-2011, 10:34
Hardly see any Russians. I've seen a lot of French people and some quiete rude. Apparently being BM to foreigners carries over to the net :)

Beorn
21-04-2011, 01:53
I caved in and got it. US server, Beorn / 496. I'm working on the campaign right now, and today I just started playing a few custom games with old warcraft friends. I can't afford to start playing melee for another month at least until my essay is done, but then again that's what I said about buying it in the first place last month ;p

ProPain
23-04-2011, 07:51
Now we only have to wait for Blizzard to make cross realm playing possible.

My guess is I'll have grandchildren by the time that happens.

Beorn
24-04-2011, 04:44
Hehe. Most of my online friends from other games are from Ger and Italy and whatnot, so I was tempted to take the french version of the game and roll with it, but MAN HAVE YOU HEARD TRANSLATIONS?!!!! I have had to endure too many awful voiceovers, can't do it anymore. So I went US english.

Kingreno
04-07-2011, 16:53
Picked up the game again and now realy active on the ladders. Sucking but getting a bit better every time I play. I play a lot with Propain and teamwork seems to be the key (though we still lose a lot...) any more CDZ playing SC2? We could make a very good 4vs4 team.

Beorn
04-07-2011, 22:28
I play mostly diamond league, a few old plat scores still, but I'm on North America. That won't do will it?

Kingreno
04-07-2011, 22:49
Nope, you'd have to immigrate to Europe.

barbu1977
05-07-2011, 15:45
I'm also on the North America server.

I should say "I would be on the North America server" since I have not played the game in the last few months. Not since I finished the campain.

Kingreno
15-08-2011, 10:44
Small Update on progress (and an excuse to invite more people to play!). Me and Propain got a very nice team going at the moment. We started at the bottom of the Bronze league and we are slowly advancing to get to promotionplaces. We have a decent winratio and using Skype we can communicate easily. It's realy a lot of fun!

Shabbaman
15-08-2011, 13:45
You could try Mumble instead of Skype. It has a better latency, better sound quality and a stable connection. I also read somewhere that you can play SC2 for free.

Kingreno
15-08-2011, 13:55
Hmm, skype works okay for me!

SC2 does not charge anything after the initial purchase. There is a "free" version available but it severely limits play after the initial fun (only terran race very limited mapchoice). It is however a great way to get to know the game and judge if it's worth the € 49,50.

Kingreno
31-08-2011, 11:41
A question about strategy.

I play a lot of 4vs4 and 3vs3. I get a good percentage of wins in games where communication is good and my team opts for an early assault, around the 6-7 minute mark. I always play as Protoss and here's what I was wondering. Recently I decided NOT to go for warpgates, but use the Gateways in the same way the Terrans do. I hotkeyed them of course, and set the waypoint al the way to the opponents base. This way I could queue up units and I could focus entirely on Microing my offensive force. This is very very succesfull as using a forcefield on the right moment can mean al the deifference in the early game.

So, any thoughts? Of course one could say: proxy pylon and shorter recharge rate is better, but does that weigh up to having to leave your offensive force uinguarded for seconds?

ProPain
06-09-2011, 10:03
well, not going warpgate means your losing build time and will have a smaller army.

Regular zealot build time is 38 secs
Warp in time + GW coolddown is 5 +28 = 33 secs

5/.33=15% less zealots build in the same amount of time. And not taking in to account the longer walk time to the front where a quick reinforcement can be the difference in winning or losing a fight.

What I find usefull is hotkeyíng my foward pylon. You can use a regular hotkey or use one the F5-F9 keys that are for hotkeying parts of your screen.

Let's say you hotkey pylon to F6 and main army to 1, you warpcycle will be
W -> F6 -> keep Z down and spam left mouse button -> press 1 -> use shift to add new warpins to control group -> double 1 to focus screen on main army again.

This can all be done in say 2 secs and my APM is rather low. I've been watching pro stream/VOD's and they essentially do the same as well even when in fights. Now their APM is massive so it will take them much less time, but as we're not facing pro's (yet :p ) that shouldn't be a problem.

In my opinion warpgate is must and beats gateway build handsdown, even with the harder micro. Only exception might be a very early mass zealot push. Then you can save 150 minerals on a Cyber core and 75 on an gas assimilator, which counts for 2 more zealots, leaves probes on mins instead of as (even more mins) and also the benefits of a cyber are smaller as you plan to move out early and Cyber+warpgate tech will take you to 6 mins gametime minimum when carried out correctly which is a normal push time as well.

Beorn
08-09-2011, 02:28
The only time I'd go without gates, as PP said, is when I'm pushing early zealots/towers. Usually that's my close-spawn 1v1 PvP build, 2 gates 1 forge 16 mineral probes.

In 4v4, I've had a lot of 5-0 placements using 3xlings 1xDT rushes, which were with 4 warpgates. It goes live and can hit a defenseless hatch around 6:45 if you focus your build right and your zerg friends keep them busy.

If you are VERY insecure about the placement, you either need to place it somewhere else (maybe), apply more pressure somewhere else (definitely), or build a cannon nearby (as a "training wheels" kindof last resort).

ProPain
08-09-2011, 18:04
Here's an interesting discussion on warpgate (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=263636) over at Team Liquid.

Although not exactly this subject it touches upon it at some points.

TL Ori Poster makes a statement that the offensive advantage warpgate gives in terms of short reinforcement lines translates into a defensive disadvantage as toss lacks a defensive structure like a bunker or spine crawler.

Consensus in the thread is that warpgate tech is essentially a no brainer to get as it is an upgrade without any drawbacks.

Kingreno
14-09-2011, 10:46
2vs2 Troubles.

Ok, me and PP are still on our way up to respectable leagues. We are having trouble playing against Zerg. Especially if it's double Zerg we are yet to win a match. We always play P/T.

I watched a few replays and I think here is where it goed wrong. We wall of our ramp (depending on teh map either our individual ramps or the main one). We do manage to kill any zerling rush 80% of the time. PP builds a Depot wall with marines. I make a zealot on hold position on a one space hole in teh wall, with a canon to back up. This sounds okay, and to be honest, a lot of interfora then suggest the game is won. NOT. We still lose. The zergs just send in wave after wave and expand as well.
If they do not rush, they expand or go for better ground units or mutalisks. We will both have made expenses for the wall and we lose 95% of the time.
I ALLLLWAYS scout after the first Pylon so we know when a 6-pool or 9-pool is incomming.

So: what do the better players do when they face ZZ?

ProPain
15-09-2011, 11:37
I'm starting to think we should go aggressive with heavy sentry. That way we can force field lings/baneling/roaches. and keep them at distance from our bio/gatway ball. And we should try to better use the zeals to meatshield for the ranged units.

Being too passive and turtling too long is just giving the other team opportunities to expand and get way ahead.

grs
23-09-2011, 23:18
My handle is grs#321 if you want to catch me online.

ProPain
28-09-2011, 18:43
I love that PLanescape:Torment avatar!!!!!

grs
28-09-2011, 20:02
I love that PLanescape:Torment avatar!!!!!
Dunno what you mean; that's a photo of me!

ProPain
30-09-2011, 10:51
You never looked better !

grs
27-10-2011, 23:25
Was really fun playing tonight. Should do some more games another day or even some 3v3 if you are up to!

Kingreno
29-10-2011, 21:13
I missed you just by a few minutes the 27th! I am online quite often so I reckon we can meet soon. And PP as well.

Kingreno
15-11-2011, 12:00
So time for an update!

grs, Propain and myself have been playing on a regular basis for the last weeks. Our 3vs3 is pretty decent and we are meeting Diamondleague-opponents some times. We are still in Gold ATM.

We are pretty solid on zerg-zerg-protoss (with me playing protoss), though I feel there is quite some room for improving our play.

Too bad we cannot play it with CDZ-players from US/Canada!

Shabbaman
15-11-2011, 15:50
You guys are so pro, I want your autograph.

Kingreno
16-11-2011, 09:18
Sent you a cap, a signed T-shirt and a mug with our faces on it. Anything for the fans.

grs
28-01-2012, 20:15
We are really famous now; first televised match on french TV is up at http://www.twitch.tv/gmstemple/b/306184456 - our game starts at about 54 minutes.

Shabbaman
29-01-2012, 12:08
The link doesn't work for me, but if you're on twitch tv you must be good... or your mistakes have to be pretty funny ;) There's a clip somewhere of a guy that wipes out the other five members of my team in a row, with pretty funny comments about how Euro's can't airstrafe (but what you don't see is that we win the match anyway).

I've been contemplating to get sc2, but the rational thought is that I shouldn't make time for it until I've finished Tropico 4 and TW:Shogun 2 (which, in a sense, I did finish, but I'm not done with the game). Besides that, although I was turned off by civ5 after winning on deity, I might get interested again now some of the people here have actually started playing multiplayer...

So.

grs
29-01-2012, 12:30
The link doesn't work for me
I think it has been auto deleted after some days; worked yesterday :(

, but if you're on twitch tv you must be good... or your mistakes have to be pretty funny ;)
Neither of those I think; the guy is just a low/mid level player streaming.

Kingreno
30-01-2012, 10:27
No no no, the guy is Masterdiamondsuper league, for sure. And we beat him. yeah!

Shabbaman
30-01-2012, 10:55
Double orbital fortress for the win!

ProPain
30-01-2012, 20:51
sorry to disappoint you, no PF in that game as we had no terran players on our team that time :)

Shabbaman
02-02-2012, 16:48
That's a shame.

grs
19-02-2012, 16:25
Played my first tournament today (only noob ranks, but still): Starcraft II EU Public Tournament ID 16666 (http://playhem.com/#!/tourney/16666).

grs
03-03-2012, 00:53
PP/grs

grs
03-03-2012, 01:06
PP/Reno/grs

Shabbaman
03-03-2012, 10:15
Chaleging?

ProPain
03-03-2012, 11:09
probably a typo where changeling was meant.

grs
03-03-2012, 11:20
Custom Map "Starcraft Master is released (http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/3780043/New_Blizzard_Custom_Game_StarCraft_Master_-01_03_2012#blog).

grs
04-03-2012, 15:36
If you (PP, Reno) are still interested: there is still a way to get a special character as separator between the clan tag and the name. Following would work:

CDZǂKingreno
CDZǂProPain
CDZǂgrs

ProPain
04-03-2012, 21:52
name is changed :)

Kingreno
05-03-2012, 12:58
huh? explain me how that works this evening. :S

grs
05-03-2012, 20:18
huh? explain me how that works this evening. :S

log out of sc2 -> go to "eu.battle.net/account" -> log in -> click your sc2 account -> click "Character Name Change" (bottom middle) -> log in to sc2 -> you get a prompt asking for your new name -> c/p what I wrote here (make sure not to copy the <enter> at the end of the line.

Kingreno
05-03-2012, 21:48
woohoo! CDZǂKingreno is here. :D

grs
01-05-2012, 23:43
PP: Your idiol is famous now :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLo7s7sbZU&feature=player_embedded

barbu1977
02-05-2012, 15:21
That looks like a valid strategy.

Did PP get squashed by him?

To bad they don't show any games where the thing failed.

grs
02-05-2012, 20:43
That looks like a valid strategy.

Did PP get squashed by him?

To bad they don't show any games where the thing failed.

No, PP is his fan; this guy is way out of our league. He is Grandmasters (meaning top200) in EU and NA.

grs
24-10-2012, 00:34
Yeah, I got a beta key from a beta contest, by getting 2nd in a FFA!
Never give up, never surrender! http://drop.sc/267304

ProPain
24-10-2012, 13:47
Lucky bastard!!!

Although I'm quite happy not to have a key, I fear that would be a tremendous time sink that I simply can not afford atm.