PDA

View Full Version : What kind of a [snip] bug is this?!

Matrix
09-07-2009, 23:34
I'm playing a marathon game on a huge map at monarch level. I'm on a roll with a space ship almost done, and then this happens:
"A SS Stasis Chamber in Iconium was destroyed by enemy infiltrators!"

Sweet smokin' son of a bitch! That means I have to play on nineteen more turns, if they don't sabotage more SS units, which are apparently accessible and destructible in every city. But I can't destroy theirs. [aargh]

ProPain
10-07-2009, 13:05
wow, never seen that. And I have built quite some spaceships in my early cvi4 games as that was about the only way I could win :)

Robi D
10-07-2009, 14:01
It not a bug, according to firaxis anyway.

I've had it happen to me on a couple times and i've seen it happen to other to other people. And since the new patch didn't change it i can only guess thats how firaxis intended it to work (or they are just really really lazy)

I think its BS that your spaceship can be sabotaged in any city but it stationed in the capital.

grahamiam
10-07-2009, 23:05
Can't you spam spies and put them in every city to make it very hard (and costly) to do this?

akots
11-07-2009, 00:15
Just spies don't help, but you can run counter-espionage mission with a particular AI (judging by the total points the AI has) to increase the cost of sabotage for that AI for a few subsequent turns. Counter mission is not that expensive to run and can be done multiple times against multiple AIs. Main problem is to deliver a spy to one of their cities especially if they are on a separate continent and there is no open borders. Caravels or later submarines are a great help with this delivery problem.

This is indeed a feature, annoying or not. Not a big deal on Monarch since AIs tend to be quite weak but on Emperor and above, this may substantially delay the launch again emphasizing the need to prebuild the parts as much as possible to make the window of actually building the parts as short as possible.

grahamiam
11-07-2009, 04:09
For some weird reason, I always thought having a spy stationed in a particular city increased the spy points required to do espionage in said city.

Robi D
11-07-2009, 04:36
For some weird reason, I always thought having a spy stationed in a particular city increased the spy points required to do espionage in said city.

I believe it lowers the odds of success

akots
11-07-2009, 05:44
No, it has no effect. For details see a comprehensive guide:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/espionage_cost.php

akots
11-07-2009, 05:47
That is one of the misconceptions. Another one recently disspelled is that actual visibility of a tile is not needed for fog-dispersion to prevent barbarian spawn. They cannot spawn within 2 tiles of an active unit in any case independently of whether the spawning tile is visible to the sentry unit or not.

Robi D
11-07-2009, 08:40
No, it has no effect. For details see a comprehensive guide:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/espionage_cost.php

Does it at least increase the chance of detecting enemy spies in your terrtory

akots
11-07-2009, 08:52
The chance for detection is quite an obscure subject.

The most comprehensive info is here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=247719

So, yes, presence of a spy on a tile with their spy at the end of turn should elevate the chance for detection. However, it seems that total EP and their ratio are more important. So, if you have generated a lot of EP during the whole game, due to either bigger size with lots of cities or early courthouses and other EP-generating buildings, you are marginally safe even without spies. This does not mean that an accidental spy cannot get through this. He will surely get through if this EP number is low due to smaller size and neglect of EP-generating building (can use the EP slider as well).

I'm not sure how the dice are rolled for multiple spies and how many rolls are taken per turn ( Is it a one roll per turn or one roll for each spy per turn).