PDA

View Full Version : FIRST CDZ RL REUNION : AMSTERDAM JULY 27TH 2003

Skyfish
17-06-2003, 10:26
[crazyeye] [party] [crazyeye]

[eek] What started as a joke is now real ! [eek]

(sounds like me getting married..[hmm]...[blush2])

Anyway, the idea is to set up a meeting point in Amsterdam on Sunday July 27th and get as many CDZers to join :D

I will propose different ideas for cafes and restaurants and provide necessary information as to how to get there.
I can also help with any accomodation or transport issue, short of offering a place to crash at my place : we're now full ! [sad]

Melifluous will be around of course as co-organizer ;) with the wife [:o]
Most of the Dutch contingent is expected to show up, we count on our "almost Dutch" Killer M to do the 3 hour drive it takes to come from Tueblingen, We need more UK guys so the brothers and col are expected to show up, as well as Digger : if you're an Aussie in Ireland going to Amsterdam for a week-end must be like walking to your back yard ;)
Also I have a mate at Air France who can arrange a Concorde ticket for Cartouche Bee to make a make supersonic appearance.

To make it interesting, I will provide all participants with some free Amsterdam [stoned][smokin] upon arrival !
My version of a welcome pack [lol]
Good news is there will be NO name badges :)

ERIKK
17-06-2003, 11:42
I will put july 27th in my agenda!

Also, Schiphol sounds much better than Venendaal for a Lan-party IMO! We could fly in our foreign members linea recta!

Cruise
17-06-2003, 11:45
I might have a tennis tourny final day that weekend, that is... if i get that far. We'll see what happens.!

digger760
17-06-2003, 11:46
I can't make it sorry, i am off on a stag weekend. Even if i was free i don't know if my other half would approve:(

Skyfish
17-06-2003, 12:00
So your other half approves of you going on stag week-end but not to go and meet some very quaint and quiet nerds playing a politically correct boring TBS game [confused]
[lol]

Skyfish
17-06-2003, 12:03
@ Erikk, latin classes are a few centuries away... help me out there "Linea Recta" = " Directly in your rectum ?"
[lol]

ERIKK
17-06-2003, 12:05
hehehehehe [lol]

Lt. Killer M
17-06-2003, 12:08
[lol]

3 hours doesn't gett me far past Frankfurt....... but I'll show up if I can!

Aggie
17-06-2003, 12:26
The 27th? OK. Unfortunatelly I don't have a LAN, although I DO live close to Schiphol...

ERIKK
17-06-2003, 12:41
So, Sky, what were you planning to do that day?

As Mel is on his holiday in Amsterdam, will we be doomed for waterbiking the canals and visiting the sex musuem??? Smoke one in a coffee shop is OK with me and visiting Hooters too => we can all have a pic like Cruise been made! [groucho]

But serious, what's the plan?

Shabbaman
17-06-2003, 12:48
27th, noted. I don't know if I'm on holiday then, although I doubt that. A day in Amsterdam is always a possibility, the last train to take me home leaves at 23.25. So, a lot of options for me.

Good idea!

Aggie
17-06-2003, 12:56
Hmmmm... I was afraid of a trip like ERIKK suggests. Frankly speaking, I don't know about that. We have a lot of others things in Amsterdam, but I have to admit that that is a bit too cultural maybe... (read boring)

Shabbaman
17-06-2003, 13:35
Coffee and cake then? [:p]

Skyfish
17-06-2003, 13:43
Yep coffee and cake :D
We will NOT do the usual tourist run in Amsterdam, certainly not Hooters, but probably to a nice gezellig coffeeshop.
The touristy stuff can be done later by the "tourists" when the locals are working, during the week.

Aggie if you have any suggestions/ideas please post here, frankly speaking I dont think anyone's scared of a bit of culture.
It's not like we have to do anything 'cept get drunk and laid, hu ...I mean drunk and stoned :)

Shabba : you work on Sundays ?

Shabbaman
17-06-2003, 14:02
No, atm I don't work at all (hurray!) but 'my other half' might need me. On the other hand, she might want to come as well (no objection there I suppose).
I just mentioned the use of the train to point out that attending on the 27th is an option for me anyway, even if I'd have other obligations (besides, like I said, a holiday).
A pity that the amsterdam tournament is the week after, we could all be spitting on the grass in the Arena (you know, makes the grass grow better)

Skyfish
17-06-2003, 14:25
Other halves are most welcome indeed...at your own risks and perils though :D

WildFire
17-06-2003, 16:14
How bout we meet somewhere in New England, cause I won't be able to go any other way ;)

digger760
17-06-2003, 16:16
perhaps the Azores would be a suitable half way point.

ProPain
17-06-2003, 23:10
also a suitable place to talk world diplomacy and start an invasion. All very important for Civ3

Sween
18-06-2003, 04:11
i'll go if you pool money to pay for my flights and drugs...

yeah, like i'm ganna trust you crazies in RL ;)

Shabbaman
18-06-2003, 08:02
quote:Originally posted by digger760

perhaps the Azores would be a suitable half way point.

[rotfl]

Skyfish
18-06-2003, 12:48
Drugs are taken care of Sween, so you just have to pay for the flights...
With your consumption and the price of a ticket post Iraq war, you got the better end of the stick ;)

Lt. Killer M
18-06-2003, 18:25
ahem......

hrm......

how to say that right......

well......

eh.........

so.....

I won't be able to come[blush]

I'll be in NY from July 6 to July 13, then in Wyoming from August 5 to 26 - it is just not worth it to fly home in between - for the same money I can rent a car and have a holiday in the US.

space to flame and insult Killer as well as for prayers of thanx provided below

WildFire
18-06-2003, 18:32
Have fun in the states! We'll be in the same area (within 500 miles or so).

Skyfish
18-06-2003, 20:31
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC CCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I'll kill you motherfucker ! Traitor !

...oh and enjoy the holidays
:D

Aggie
18-06-2003, 22:16
Killer: go see Yellowstone!!!!! Oh well. You will, I guess :D

Stapel
19-06-2003, 13:15
Since Killer won't show up, I will. I still am pissed Killer left me for AoA :( .

As I will wake up the 27th in Breda with a fine headache, I'd like to know what time we will meet!

Lt. Killer M
19-06-2003, 13:22
aggie: I will, maybe this time WITHOUT the snow ont eh tent ;)

Skyfish
19-06-2003, 13:48
Stapel : it will begin end of afternoon, plenty of time to come from Breda drunk...

Stapel
20-06-2003, 09:45
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Stapel : it will begin end of afternoon, plenty of time to come from Breda drunk...

OK!

Do we plan to have some sort of party? In that case I will consider taking off monday morning.

Matrix
28-06-2003, 11:27
I'm almost certain I can come. ;)

But I'm interested in the exact time and place...

By the way, willemvanoranje and Kira live in Amsterdam; shouldn't we ask them as well? I'm sure you all know willemvanoranje...

Shabbaman
28-06-2003, 12:50
It's official: I'm on holiday then...

Skyfish
28-06-2003, 13:30
Cool PP it'd be great to see you ! Shabba I always counted on you ;)
The place still needs to be found, any suggestion is welcome.
The time will be end of afternoon, probably 4pm.

More news to follow !

ERIKK
28-06-2003, 16:33
pics here: http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=576

Shabbaman
28-06-2003, 17:10
hehe

know your enemy, lol

Well, not all's lost, I might already be back that saturday.

Matrix
08-07-2003, 12:09
So is this list of people who'll come correct?
SkyFish, Melifluous, ERIKK, Aggie, Stapel, Matrix.

I didn't read this thread before very well, but I won't come if you go to a coffeeshop. Perhaps I will in 2004 when in all shops it's forbidden to smoke (including coffeeshops! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/LOL.gif), but for now - the scent makes me nauseous and I would waste my evening. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/puke.gif

Why don't we simply go to a café? Normal smoke doesn't make me sick. ;)

Skyfish
08-07-2003, 13:37
Please dont be scared by the Coffeshop thingy : we will got to a bar first and foremost !

Stapel
08-07-2003, 15:18
Matrix,

I have the same opinion! And I think Aggie shares it too! I think the need to go to a cooffeshop can only be there for foreigners. I would say: stay in NL for more than 1 day and smoke the dope on the other days! Sounds fair to me! Can we agree on this?

Shabbaman
08-07-2003, 19:22
Yeah. Coffeeshops are lame.

ERIKK
08-07-2003, 19:35
We could go to "De Rokerij" in the neighbourhood of the "Leidseplein". It is more a bar than a coffeeshop. Mostly, it is crowded with tourists.

Matrix
08-07-2003, 21:16
Does it have a pavement? :) I'm sure it'll be nice weather the 27th. And if we're outside I don't mind what you smoke as long as I'm not in the wind. ;)

We still haven't decided where and when to meet, by the way. I suppose the time is for Skyfish and Melifluous to decide as they are tied to a certain time. Location: central station would seem most obvious. [rolleyes]

Skyfish
08-07-2003, 21:31
Not Central Station, the appointment will be in a bar and probably on a terrace even though with good weather most terraces ar full but heck we will try it out. I have a few ideas, Aggie any suggestions ?
The time is end of the day around 16h00 on the 27th for sure.
We will indeed probably do "De Rokerij" Erikk but at a later point in the evening ;)

Aggie
08-07-2003, 21:33
Sky, I'm not a native Amsterdammer... I know a couple of nice places, but not really with a terrace.

And other places that are nice and quiet, but maybe too quiet...

But I can ask colleagues!

Skyfish
08-07-2003, 21:52
No sorry only self tested places ;)
Have you heard of cafe De Jaren ? Next to Hotel de l'Europe bij de Munt.
They have a nice terrace on the Amstel, very high ceilings for non smokers and a good whisky selection :D
If some people are scared not to find it (it's very easy) we can still agree on a Central Station meeeting point but then every one will have to be punctual [punch]

Aggie
08-07-2003, 22:02
Sky, I know it. Good choice!

Stapel
09-07-2003, 08:30
They serve Grolsch!!!!! A good choice indeed!

It really is nice place. As the whole Amstel is in fact!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/stapel/20037982623_terras.jpg
329.55KB

Matrix
09-07-2003, 11:00
Looks fine. http://www.straland.com/satan/wink.gif

I do prefer to meet at central station with someone - I get lost very easily. http://www.straland.com/satan/embarassed.gif

Are we gonna eat there too? Or do we have other plans for that?

Stapel
09-07-2003, 11:10
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Looks fine. http://www.straland.com/satan/wink.gif

I do prefer to meet at central station with someone - I get lost very easily. http://www.straland.com/satan/embarassed.gif

Are we gonna eat there too? Or do we have other plans for that?

As I will come by train, I will be pleased to show you the way from CS to The Amstel.... But in fact you only need one instruction: leave the staion and go straight on.....

Stapel
09-07-2003, 11:17
As the (re)union starts at 16:00, I assume we will eat there too!

ERIKK
09-07-2003, 11:50
We can meet there, I will be at the station too.

smalltalk
09-07-2003, 21:25
This thread makes me wonder, how will you adress your CDZ-fellers: with their nick or with their real name?

Matrix
09-07-2003, 21:38
Real name if I can remember them. [eek] ERIKK's real name won't be hard though. ;)

jack merchant
09-07-2003, 23:51
I'll be there :) Would also like to meet up at the CS (I'm tall enough to be recognized ;)).

Stapel
10-07-2003, 08:26
Well, I most likely will get there by car and park it somewhere between Stopera and Carre. The co-owner (and driver) of my FIAT lives there and the both of us have a party in Breda the night before. I will leave by train (or maybe car...). It is no problem to walk up to CS if necissary.

Cheers,
Bas Stapel

Stapel
21-07-2003, 08:37
Hi all!

As some of you already know, recently my RL has changed in quite a stormy way! As you might have noticed, I hardly find time to get online at night to play the few PBEMs I am involved in.

I am very sorry to say that I cannot come next sunday! Of course, in my heart, I will be in Amsterdam, but you won't be able to see me!

jack merchant
21-07-2003, 13:46
Bring the girl too, Stapel ;)

Stapel
21-07-2003, 14:12
quote:Originally posted by jack merchant

Bring the girl too, Stapel ;)

I did consider that, but she ain't exactly the type that can be brought where-ever I want her. Even worse: I am the type that can be brought to where-ever she wants to.....

ERIKK
21-07-2003, 14:32
oh-oh that does not sound very good...

col
21-07-2003, 21:08
Hehe - look at this way. What would you chose? A night in with the girl of your dreams or a night out with a bunch of Civ fanatics?

I cant make it either guys. So have a few pints for me....

ERIKK
22-07-2003, 07:08
No night, it is gonna be an sunday midday/afternoon..., right?

Matrix
22-07-2003, 16:08
That's what I think.

I got a place to stay (in Bussum) though, so I can make it a bit late although I still need to catch the last train.

Skyfish
22-07-2003, 22:10
OK I will (Tomorrow or Thursday latest) confirm a place to meet up at Central Station for all of us...and a time !

[afro]

Melifluous
23-07-2003, 14:17
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Real name if I can remember them. [eek] ERIKK's real name won't be hard though. ;)

hehe, not bloody likely in my case...

Besides I have to make a real effort not to sign work e-mails as Melifluous anyway...

Also sorry I aint been involved in this conversation much, I will be there on Sunday, with my lovely wife.

Sorry to hear about those that can't make it, but...

Stapel - Girl or Civvers, not a really hard choice is it?
Col - Getting a bit old to be travelling anyway? ;)

I'm sure a litre or two can be drunk in their honour.

Melifluous

PS. How do you ask for 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps in Dutch?

Aggie
23-07-2003, 14:22
That would be: twee halve liters en een zakje chips. Even better: Two beer and a bag of chips.

A pint is only served in Irish Pubs AFAIK. Dutch beers are smaller and often the standard size is called 'een vaasje' (about half a pint). Sometimes they serve 'halve liters'(half a liter).

jack merchant
23-07-2003, 16:08
Any chance of a place to sleep opening up with some people not coming ? The last train to Nijmegen leaves a bit early for my tastes :)

ERIKK
24-07-2003, 08:23
In Holland everybody speaks English, so dont worry Mel.

I dont know what you guys are up to but I have to get to work at 6 monday morning! [whipped] So it wont be a all day drinking fest for me. But dont let me stop you!

Also, about the times => Sky, lets make up that plan: lets say 14:00 or 15:00 at A'dam CS. That gives the people time to travel and sleep long on a sunday morning... (I need that)

I think I will stick around till 21:00-21:30 to get home around 23:00.

I wonder what you have thought out for us Sky. If you have planned canal biking I will kick your ass, I have done that a while ago with my collegeas and felt like a dumb stupid tourist (sorry Mel) ;)

Skyfish
24-07-2003, 08:52
As said before no touristy things planned at all. Only drinking and eating [book] [xx(] [talk]

The meeting will be at 16h00 and not earlier, as Meli gets from the airport at that time.

[wavey] The place will be on Platform 1 of Central Station in front of the Burger King ! [wavey]

I will send some of you my mobile number per email, in case of major panic... [help] [ponder] [?] [scared] [scratch] [8)] [|)]

ERIKK
24-07-2003, 09:05

As said before no touristy things planned at all. Only drinking and eating [book] [xx(] [talk]
So, what are we gonna do? (Better to have (any at all) discussion now then Sunday!)

The meeting will be at 16h00 and not earlier, as Meli gets from the airport at that time.Fine by me. Mel: "watch your luggage there might be pickpockets on this train!" [lol]

[wavey] The place will be on Platform 1 of Central Station in front of the Burger King ! [wavey] Sounds good, I guess I will be there at 15:45.

I will send some of you my mobile number per email, in case of major panic... [help] [ponder] [?] [scared] [scratch] [8)] [|)]
Wow, you are living on the edge, huh!

Aggie
24-07-2003, 09:16
BK is a good idea! We can't miss each other!
Maybe I find the time tonight to post a pic of myself.

I also have to be at work early in the morning on Monday. So I will also leave at about 21.30 h.

@Jack: I have a place to sleep for you, but note that I have to get up quite early in the morning!

digger760
24-07-2003, 09:30
The place will be on Platform 1 of Central Station in front of the Burger King

Great, i'll sort out my al-queda friends to meet you there.

ERIKK
24-07-2003, 09:36
quote:Originally posted by digger760

The place will be on Platform 1 of Central Station in front of the Burger King

Great, i'll sort out my al-queda friends to meet you there.
Damn, it's all about politics again! So there wont be any 13 years old children to "meet" Sunday??? ;)

Stapel
24-07-2003, 10:39
Maybe, just maybe, I will come later that night. I have to be in Vught until 21:00 or so and probably will drop someone off in A'dam anyway afterwards.

Sky, can you e-mail 06?

Melifluous
24-07-2003, 17:03

[wavey] The place will be on Platform 1 of Central Station in front of the Burger King ! [wavey]

Bah boring ...

I was planning on wandering around Central Station bellowing
" I AM CALLED MELIFLUOUS AND I AM QUITE MAD !!! "

Thought it would be a nice ice breaker...

Melifluous

Melifluous
26-07-2003, 01:01
Anyway this is the last post by me before we meet on Sunday...

I gotta get up early tomorrow (Saturday) and go to a wedding in London.

Then its back to a hotel in london before getting up early again on Sunday to make it accross London to London City Airport for a 13:20 plane.

It lands at 15:20 ish and from there to Central Station for about 16:00, will meet you all there, but Kat and I will have suitcases so me, Kat and Skyfish are back to the hotel to check in/drop off then back to the bar(?)/Cafe(?) to drink/smoke the night away.

Really looking forward to this guys, will see y'all there

Melifluous

Matrix
26-07-2003, 17:56

Ok, I'll probably be there exactly at 16:00, as my train arrives at 15:57. ;) If no one's there, I'll take a snack. From Haren to Amsterdam Centraal I don't need to change into another train.[yeah]

Skyfish
26-07-2003, 18:39
[cool]

Dont hesitate to gimme a buzz matrix if the train is a bit late...

ProPain
26-07-2003, 20:35
I'll be there tomorrow too, I'll be taking a train so i can have a few drinks.

ProPain
26-07-2003, 20:48
And here's a pic of me on my 31th birthday so you can recognise me!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ProPain/hilco31.jpg

Matrix
26-07-2003, 20:53

Dont hesitate to gimme a buzz matrix if the train is a bit late...

If my telephone works. [blush2]

If I'm not there by 16:15, I missed the train and will arrive at 17:00. Whether you will wait for me then (or go back) or let me find the cafe by myself is up to you.
By I won't miss it. ;)

ERIKK
26-07-2003, 21:10
[:o]

Matrix
28-07-2003, 02:04
Well, that certainly was fun! [yeah] I'm eager to see the picture ERIKK made!

As Mel said somewhere: it was weird to see all these people you know so well by only these forums and MSN. But I had a great time. ;)

What did you do after ERIKK and I left?

Aggie
28-07-2003, 07:54
I certainly had a great time :D. After you left we had a few more drinks outside and met Stapel. It was so much fun that I almost forgot about the time. I could just get the last tram home...

ERIKK
28-07-2003, 08:03
MMS-ed the pic I made with the phone to Sky and asked him to confirm if he had gotten the link (yesterday evening) but did not recieve anything, so not sure he got it! [eek]

EDIT:
Sky: post the link please. Maybe some paintshop-expert can make something out of it... ;)

col
28-07-2003, 09:17
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous
Col - Getting a bit old to be travelling anyway? ;)

yeah - without the nurses and the life support system its a bit tricky......

Hope y'all had a great time!

Stapel
28-07-2003, 09:29
Though only for an hour or so, it was good to meet you guys! Though you didn't meet the real Stapel yet... :(

[mgun][love][whipped]

Matrix
28-07-2003, 11:47
LOL@col

Skyfish
28-07-2003, 15:32
[afro]
Great time last night, maybe it was not such crazy idea after all, hu ?

Here's the link ...but it dont work :( you need my number in order to access it.
For those who have it the code is 1659892 ;)
http://www.vodafone.nl/live/frameset.asp?cnid=462

It's really hard to see it Erikk, could you send it per email or something ?

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/2003728153216_CDZ RL2.jpg
9.78*KB

ERIKK
28-07-2003, 15:54
Vodafone sucks!!! Why dont they give you a normal image file???
If they present it like this you still dont see a fuck!

The lineup:

Aggie...Meli.....JackMerchant.....

...........ProPain...Matrix.......

..............ERIKK.....Skyfish...

Stapel wasn't present when the picture was taken.
Mel's girlfriend took the picture!

jack merchant
28-07-2003, 17:55
I just got back from Amsterdam and would like to join the chorus in saying that I too had a great time [yeah] and want to thank everyone for coming [thumbsup]. Great meeting y'all and thanks again for the hospitality Aggie !

Skyfish
28-07-2003, 17:56
I am positive you can send the picture as email Erikk, not just this link or MMS...
RTFM dude ! [mad]

ProPain
28-07-2003, 19:50
had a great time but missed my train. Was lucky though cuz another (and last one) left 15 minutes later. I'd say next time we all go to London :D

Stapel
28-07-2003, 23:45
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

had a great time but missed my train. Was lucky though cuz another (and last one) left 15 minutes later. I'd say next time we all go to London :D

Yeah, London is cheap!

Sween
30-07-2003, 04:00
ok guys. next stop: new england.

Eklektikos
30-07-2003, 12:18

London, eh? http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/mischief.gif

Stapel
31-07-2003, 15:47
quote:Originally posted by Sween

ok guys. next stop: new england.

Sween Airlines will provide free tickets?

Sween
01-08-2003, 01:29
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Shabbaman
01-08-2003, 08:55
quote:Originally posted by Eklektikos

London, eh? http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/mischief.gif

LONDON BABY!

prettyvacant
01-08-2003, 13:39
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman
LONDON BABY!

although neither of us actually live there Meli and i will make you v welcome in London. it is a very welcoming city for tourists with clean streets and absolutely no zenophobia.

ps the picture is a little red cross - ??

Aggie
02-08-2003, 20:03
Killer, we all got your card! In a way you were there as well... You missed a great evening ;)

Lt. Killer M
02-08-2003, 20:09
aggie, I missed you all, too! Especially as I canot even play Civ atm as the campgrounds do not have power hookups......

CU all soon!

Skyfish
02-08-2003, 20:55
Going cold turkey Killer ?
[lol] [lol]