PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a civ league?

Robi D
16-05-2009, 04:37
I thought to spice things up a bit around here we could have a league competition for civ.

I've done some groundwork looking at a format that would make the games quick so it doesn't take to long so participation doesn't drop off.

After a bunch of test games against the AI and mauer i've got a format thats makes games fairly even but with some randomness. The set up is;

120 turns
Advanced start in the Anicent age, Quick speed
Duel size map, balanced resources, Pangea, temperate, normal sea level
Always war, hence no tech trades, no barbs, no random events, no huts, no espionage

Unrestricted leaders so you can mix and match leaders and civs (ie Saladin of the Aztecs). The catch is once you choose your combo you play it for every match.

2 victory conditions, time and conquest.

The points system
Win by conquest 6 pts
Win by time 4 pts (highest score on 120)
Time draw 3 pts (scores level on turn 120)
Loss by time 2 pts
Loss by conquest 0 pts

If 2 or more people are level on points they will be seperated by their head to head records, if still level then the highest difference in scores (total your scores - total of opponent scores).

The game take about 2hrs maximum so games could be played via direct IP, otherwise pbem. Mauer and myself took two months to play ours via pbem.

Any questions, expressions of interest, comments or otherwise post below:)

mauer
16-05-2009, 04:46
I'll do it.

barbu1977
16-05-2009, 05:43
I was able to start a game with BC,

We could use those settings.

socralynnek
16-05-2009, 12:33
Sounds nice. I am interested!

romeothemonk
16-05-2009, 15:34
I could be interested. I haven't played civ in a year, so I would be a touch rusty, but I would sure try hard.

Shabbaman
16-05-2009, 15:39
I'm not interested myself, but I encourage the idea. If/when we have a proper front page I'd say it could get a prominent place.

BCLG100
16-05-2009, 16:13
Sure, i told barbu and mauer i'd have a game with them after my exams so i'm happy to do it also :)

Matrix
16-05-2009, 17:26
Sounds like a sweet plan! http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/goodjob.gif I'm in!

mauer
16-05-2009, 21:35
After a bunch of test games against the AI and mauer i've got a format thats makes games fairly even but with some randomness.
Can that game be used as the first :D

Robi D
17-05-2009, 02:31
I'm not interested myself, but I encourage the idea. If/when we have a proper front page I'd say it could get a prominent place. Sounds like an idea!

Can that game be used as the first :D
No:mad:

Although i didn't mention it, the idea is everyone plays everyone once.
Also i forgot to add espionage is off.

I was thinking of getting this started in sometime in June and have a deadline to finish all match up by the end of the year.

I would strongly suggest for those not familar with advanced starts to have a few practise games. You can do that by doing a direct IP game (so you can set the turn limit to 120) and then choose the AI as your opponent. Also it would give you a chance to experiment with leader-civ combos

Finally to keep it fair we should have someone not playing (maybe shabba would be nice enough to help :)) to PM our choice of leader and civ. That way people can't make their choice based on what people before them have since you keep the same combo for every game

grahamiam
21-05-2009, 03:17
I'm about as rusty as Romeo, but I'll try this out.

ProPain
26-05-2009, 22:37
me very rusty but in for sure.

Robboo
27-05-2009, 12:52
if you need another I am in . If you need a judge or record keeper i can help.

Robi D
28-05-2009, 06:16
Sorry guys i've had some problems with my internet the last week or so but its sorted out now.

Anyway should get things rolling before it stalls.
So far expressions of interest have come from;

Robi
mauer
barbu
socralynnek
romeothemonk
BCLG
Matrix
grahamiam
ProPain
Robboo
Lt. Killer M

@Robboo its a league format so there is no limit on how many players, but if you would rather be a judge/record keeper thats fine too.

To all the above expressing interest or those yet to do so, i'd suggest use the coming weekend to practise with the setting and make a decision on your choice of leader and nation.

Then from Monday i'll find someone not playing who we can PM our choices too and get the matches started by the following weekend (june 6).

The deadline for finishing games will be the end of the year so there is plenty of time to arrange and play matches with everyone even if you have holidays and other stuff:).

1st place will win a free can of SPAM (plus postage and handling:p)

ProPain
28-05-2009, 10:19
Sounds great.

I'm home alone on the 6th, so I can start a match right away and would love to do so. VOlunteers please report :)

As for prizes: I'm throwing in a 'CDZ, our spam is backed with nuclear weapons' coffee mug :)

Shabbaman
28-05-2009, 10:34
WHAT!!!

I demand that coffee mug!!!1!!oneoneoneoneoneoneone!

If you could fix a front page quickly (something easy, dunno, with a picture of a coffee mug) we could grab some attention with this. I'm home this weekend, I could even help with it. Not that I'd be of much use though.

Lt. Killer M
28-05-2009, 11:03
I'd love to take part, but I am afraid I can't really judge whether I will have the time.

How would you suggest abandoned matches should be scored?

ProPain
28-05-2009, 12:44
WHAT!!!

I demand that coffee mug!!!1!!oneoneoneoneoneoneone!

If you could fix a front page quickly (something easy, dunno, with a picture of a coffee mug) we could grab some attention with this. I'm home this weekend, I could even help with it. Not that I'd be of much use though.

I'll try to give it a shot this weekend. I'd prefer to try and install VBadvanced as I've done that before. Will be friday night the ways things look now.

If you're online for moral support than that will earn you a mug. Special Mod Edition :D

BCLG100
28-05-2009, 13:52
I'd say abandoned matches, if say have been played past a specific amount of turns- say 50 should be scored say 4 points (same as time victory) if over 10 turns but below 49 turns should be 3 points for the person who didn't abandon it (same as a draw).

However all that is dependent on what is going on, i do feel we should be able to concede whenever so we've got to note the difference between abandon and concede.

I don't mind posting my decision in the thread tbh, it's not like the traits are a secret :)

Lt. Killer M
28-05-2009, 14:03
I'd say abandoned matches, if say have been played past a specific amount of turns- say 50 should be scored say 4 points (same as time victory) if over 10 turns but below 49 turns should be 3 points for the person who didn't abandon it (same as a draw).

However all that is dependent on what is going on, i do feel we should be able to concede whenever so we've got to note the difference between abandon and concede.

I don't mind posting my decision in the thread tbh, it's not like the traits are a secret :)

sounds good. I would not want to imbalance the scoring if family or work keep me from finishing games.

Robi D
29-05-2009, 02:02
Sounds great.

I'm home alone on the 6th, so I can start a match right away and would love to do so. VOlunteers please report :)

As for prizes: I'm throwing in a 'CDZ, our spam is backed with nuclear weapons' coffee mug :)

I'm should hopefully be free on the 6th too, maybe we can get the ball rolling.

I'd love to take part, but I am afraid I can't really judge whether I will have the time.

How would you suggest abandoned matches should be scored?

I hadn't given much thought to that to be honest but BCLG suggestion sounds resonable that you get a percentage of the total points depending on how much of the game is played. Also the deadline can be a little flexiable if needed but i wouldn't want it too drag on too much because people lose interest then.

Don't forget you have the option to play it by pbem if you can't organise a time to do a direct ip game.

While i'm on the topic of direct ip games, its up to the players involved whether they play turn based or simultaneous. If you play simultaneous the DM's are legal. It's easy to guard against them and making any rules just throws up a large grey area.

Conceeding in my mind gives up a conquest victory to your opponent with full points.

I'm happy to post choices in the open, i trust you guys. Just thought i'd find a third party if people might think there was an advantage to be gained. However with the large amount of participants it would be impossible to match up against everyone. So feel free to post here if you wish or you can PM me as mauer has done. I made my choice long ago:)

mauer
29-05-2009, 03:51
Conceeding in my mind gives up a conquest victory to your opponent with full points.
I agree.

Anyways, my PC is back up and running and fully loaded with BTS. I'm up for any challengers. I'd like to limit to 2 of these at a time, and prefer PBEM since I'm in a difficult time zone to match up with most of you guys for a session.

Robi D
29-05-2009, 06:00
Thinking about it a bit, we could have an option were if your unable to finish games you can have the AI take over.

As for partially completed games going on what BCLG suggested;
For games 1 to 40 turns 1/3 pts
41-80 turns = 2/3 pts
81+ = full points

Also with splitting people on the same points, i've changed it to be head to head record first, then the score difference since someone getting a win conceeded to them might miss out on a higher score.

Tell me if any of that sounds ok.

ProPain
29-05-2009, 06:52
Tell me if any of that sounds ok.

Sounds good to me.

About the 6th: I'm having time in the evening but as we're facing a 9/10 hour time difference that would mean early sunday morning for you (7th). I can imagine that isn't really a good time for you, but I'll leave that up tp you :). Otherwise for me early morning (my time) might be an option. Kids are usually up at hideous hours. So I can prolly fire up around 6 my time, being 5pm at your end. Early morning will be more slow paced though cause the kids need bread/milk/attention :)

Robboo
29-05-2009, 15:33
I am out of town teh first weekend in June. Just a heads up to my future opponent. Unfortunately in addition I will be limited to PBEM so if thats an issue Robi make me a judge.

ProPain
29-05-2009, 23:23
I'll try to give it a shot this weekend. I'd prefer to try and install VBadvanced as I've done that before. Will be friday night the ways things look now.

If you're online for moral support than that will earn you a mug. Special Mod Edition :D

Well Shabba, it's done and I haven't seen you. Guess that's a forfeit on the mug then :p

Whomp
30-05-2009, 00:08
Sounds like fun but I stink so I'd rather watch, heckle and book lines.

Robi D
30-05-2009, 00:56
Sounds good to me.

About the 6th: I'm having time in the evening but as we're facing a 9/10 hour time difference that would mean early sunday morning for you (7th). I can imagine that isn't really a good time for you, but I'll leave that up tp you :). Otherwise for me early morning (my time) might be an option. Kids are usually up at hideous hours. So I can prolly fire up around 6 my time, being 5pm at your end. Early morning will be more slow paced though cause the kids need bread/milk/attention :)

Its a 7.5hrs difference. Getting up sunday morning around 7am isn't a problem for me that weekend, depends how willing and able you are to stay up that night

I am out of town teh first weekend in June. Just a heads up to my future opponent. Unfortunately in addition I will be limited to PBEM so if thats an issue Robi make me a judge.

As long as you can play your turns its fine. When mauer and myself did a trial game it took us 2 months, that was playing 1 to 2 turns a day. Does mean you need to be play a few at a time. If you think you can do that over the next 6/7 months then its fine. I know most of my games will be by PBEM because of the time difference

ProPain
14-06-2009, 22:12
Looking for someone ready to kick of the games. I've got time during week evenings this month for sure.

Just post here or PM me

Matrix
14-06-2009, 22:22
I've got time this weekend, any evening but monday. What would suit you best?

ProPain
14-06-2009, 22:52
Tuesday after 20:30 would be possible for me

Matrix
15-06-2009, 01:52
Deal! See you on MSN. :)

Lt. Killer M
15-06-2009, 09:05
I#ll be away for a week, after that I#d love to have two games via mail.

ProPain
15-06-2009, 12:29
I'll opt in on one of those games Killer.

ProPain
16-06-2009, 21:44
Got my ass kicked by Matrix, so much for Toku of the Native Americans. [B)]

I thought there was a results thread somewhere too but I can't find it anymore.

Robi D
17-06-2009, 09:36
Got my ass kicked by Matrix, so much for Toku of the Native Americans. [B)]

I thought there was a results thread somewhere too but I can't find it anymore.

http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4930

socralynnek
17-06-2009, 09:37
I#ll be away for a week, after that I#d love to have two games via mail.

I take the other one then!

socralynnek
22-06-2009, 00:15
I am available tomorrow evening (so, to be precise: Monday 22nd of June from about 19 CEST to 23 CEST. Anyone want to play against me then?

Lt. Killer M
22-06-2009, 23:01
back, and very much in need of a holiday. Kids were exhausting all week.

I'll be back at work tomorrow and decide on my civ/leader combo.

Lt. Killer M
23-06-2009, 10:56
OK PP, socralynnek , I am online from now to about 16:00 CEST, otherwise please email/PM. I'll be Boudica of Mali:eek:.

romeothemonk
24-06-2009, 12:49
I will be willing to play whatever. Someone just send me a game and pick random for my civ, and I will attempt to play on!

Lt. Killer M
24-06-2009, 12:59
I will be willing to play whatever. Someone just send me a game and pick random for my civ, and I will attempt to play on!
PM me your email, please :)

Matrix
24-06-2009, 15:06
Come on, don't do that to yourself. ;) Just pick Tokugawa (agg/pro) of Rome, or something like that...

Edit: Otherwise we'll make you play as Bismarck (exp/ind) of America. [tongue]

Matrix
24-06-2009, 15:14
By the way, is there:
A) Someone who (most likely) won't play online? In that case, would you like to start a PBEM with me?
B) Someone willing to play against me right now? ;)

Lt. Killer M
24-06-2009, 15:25
By the way, is there:
A) Someone who (most likely) won't play online? In that case, would you like to start a PBEM with me?
B) Someone willing to play against me right now? ;)

me :)

latest patch?

Lt. Killer M
03-07-2009, 12:07
me :)

latest patch?

bump
[spam]

Matrix
03-07-2009, 12:44
Sorry for not responding last time. Something came up. Do you have MSN? This time I am online and available. :rolleyes:

Lt. Killer M
03-07-2009, 12:46
Sorry for not responding last time. Something came up. Do you have MSN? This time I am online and available. :rolleyes:

I am at work. I can only play PBEMs, and MSn and stuff get blocked here :(

Matrix
03-07-2009, 12:58
Oh, you wanted to start a PBEM. Ok, what's your e-mail address? Then I'll send you the first turn.

Or you send me the first turn if you like: matrix@straland.com

Lt. Killer M
03-07-2009, 13:16
OK, will do so ASAP.

Lt. Killer M
03-07-2009, 13:22
you have mail, Matrix!

romeothemonk
15-07-2009, 12:56
Killer has won our game. I did a farmers style gambit, and swords still beat plowshares.

Oh well.

Lt. Killer M
15-07-2009, 14:09
Killer has won our game. I did a farmers style gambit, and swords still beat plowshares.

Oh well.

wow - your second town is still around, isn't it? No chance of a defending archer?

Darkness
15-07-2009, 15:19
@Romeo: Why would you play a farmers gambit on a duelsize 1vs1 map? Especially against a warmonger like Killer? That leaves you incredibly vulnerable, doesn't it?

Lt. Killer M
15-07-2009, 15:25
@Romeo: Why would you play a farmers gambit on a duelsize 1vs1 map? Especially against a warmonger like Killer? That leaves you incredibly vulnerable, doesn't it?

would you do better against me? [groucho]

Darkness
15-07-2009, 22:43
would you do better against me? [groucho]

Probably not. Especially not since I haven played BtS since the end of RuleTheWorld2. But that was not what I was trying to say. I was just trying to figure out why Romeo chose that particular strategy.

Lt. Killer M
16-07-2009, 11:37
Probably not. Especially not since I haven played BtS since the end of RuleTheWorld2. But that was not what I was trying to say. I was just trying to figure out why Romeo chose that particular strategy.

and I was trying to tempt you into playing ;)

Matrix
16-07-2009, 12:03
And I didn't know one could forget how to play Civ. For me it's like riding a bike. I played Civ2 again some time ago and was able to win at Deity level with ease. :cool:

romeothemonk
16-07-2009, 12:54
Well, I wasn't very familiar with the style of play. That hurt me a bit.

2nd, I forgot/didn't pay attention to the size of the map.

3rd, I have no archer or tech to make archers. See first point.

Lt. Killer M
16-07-2009, 13:07
Well, I wasn't very familiar with the style of play. That hurt me a bit.

Yeah, I played a bunch of games vs. AIs and then luckily played a friend once. Ouch, human play very different from AI play...... that saved me from making the same mistake you made.

Darkness
16-07-2009, 14:39
and I was trying to tempt you into playing ;)

I realize that.

I think I'll decline the invitation, thanks... :)
I'll stick with FfH2.

Lt. Killer M
16-07-2009, 15:23
I realize that.

I think I'll decline the invitation, thanks... :)
I'll stick with FfH2.

enjoy it (bleh!)

Robi D
18-07-2009, 03:59
wow - your second town is still around, isn't it? No chance of a defending archer?

what was the score

Matrix
18-07-2009, 13:05
And date? And do you have a replay? ;)

I think it would be good if all players (or winners in any case) would upload the replay of the game.

Robi D
20-07-2009, 11:47
and put them here (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=123872#post123872) :)

Lt. Killer M
21-07-2009, 12:12
I haven't received the last turn back yet.

ProPain
09-09-2009, 09:11
After being terribly beat by Matrix in my first game I need new opponents to crush my self confidence even further :)

Any takers?

Lt. Killer M
09-09-2009, 09:59
PP: http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124037&postcount=64

ProPain
09-09-2009, 17:47
Killer you're brilliant!! Totally forgot that due the sucky danish internet!!!

Will pick it up today !!!!!!!!!!!