PDA

View Full Version : Going to Rome

BCLG100
26-02-2009, 18:22
So i'm going to Rome with Em at the very end of march, i don't think anyone lives there but was wondering whether anyone has any advice? i've never been before, can't speak a word of the language and have no idea whats going on so anything useful would be appreciated! :)

Matrix
26-02-2009, 18:38
You could try Hotel Navona. It's right in the centre (close to Piazza Navona) but quite affordable; at least, the last time I was there, which was in 1999. Not the most luxureous one, though filthy neither.

BCLG100
26-02-2009, 19:18
Oh i've booked a place and flights, just wondering if anyone has any tips on where to go/what to do etc :)

barbu1977
26-02-2009, 19:54
I suggest you get 2 travel guides about Rome (there should be some at your local library). You'll get a good idea of what is not to miss and what you need to know about getting there.

Matrix
26-02-2009, 20:42
Well, Rome is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. :) Especially if you can read all the different historical layers.

Piazza Navona for example ("piazza" means square) used to be the horse racing track of ancient Rome. But you can see more old buildings like the Pantheon (my favorite) and of course Forum Romanum. The last one disappointed me, however. (Just a pile of rocks.)

Shabbaman
26-02-2009, 21:51
Awesome. I've been to Rome some years ago, best city ever. We want to go in october this or next year. Don't forget to visit Ostia, the ancient harbor of Rome. It's better than Pompeii.

BCLG100
27-02-2009, 01:03
We're only there for 3 full days, so gotta prioritise things! i want to go to the vatican city cos it'd feel wrong if i turned up in Rome and didn't go and see the sistine chapel and the Colosseum, other than that though i'm good to go anywhere!

I know a fair bit of Roman history due to my private reading (AKA toilet reading) so i'll definatly give those places you mentioned a look. We were thinking, because we know so little Italian and not a tonne about Rome itself of seeing if we could get on a tour for a day, has anyone ever tried this? is it useful/interesting or just better to go do your own thing?

Aggie
27-02-2009, 07:16
I've got nothing special to add to the list (been there for only two days...), except for the Spanish steps and the Trevi fountain.

Spend a day in the Vatican (St. Peter's/Sistine Chapel)
Spend a day in old Rome (forum/Pantheon/Colosseum/etc...). The forum isn't a pile of rocks if you imagine what used to be there...

Also well worth a day's visit: Tivoli, outside Rome (just like Ostia is)...

For eating visit the quarter Trastevere