PDA

View Full Version : Empire: Total War

grahamiam
06-02-2009, 15:39
Anyone else looking forward to this? Release date is beginning of March. IIRC, these games usually need a couple of patches before they work right, so is it worth it to buy right away when it comes out? Asking because Steam usually has a preorder discount then won't have it on sale again till the holidays.

barbu1977
06-02-2009, 17:13
I would like to see it, but I doubt my machine will support it.

BCLG100
06-02-2009, 18:12
I would like to see it, but I doubt my machine will support it.

The last one my computer could handle was shogun total war.

akots
06-02-2009, 20:22
I was also contemplating. I have $75 worth of gift cards and coupons for Amazon though and was thinking about Dragon Age: Origins instead but ETW was also considered. I think I'll sit on it and see if it lives to the expectations and for all bugs to get fixed which would happen right when the price drops down to $20-25.

Shabbaman
08-02-2009, 10:55
Asking because Steam usually has a preorder discount then won't have it on sale again till the holidays.

They had a preorder where you got R:TW for free. I already have it, so I wasn't interested.

E:TW is going to be great. I have some inhibitions buying it though. The game is basically the same as it's predecessors. There are the usual claims of enhanced AI, but I've read these claims for so many games that I won't believe it. Besides that and the gorgeous graphics, there's nothing to improve but unfixed bugs. Yes, the TW-series has serious issues with unit micromanagement. And a new game will have new (and probably even old) bugs.

The other thing is that I'm not done with R:TW; I haven't finished a single campaign from Barbarian Invasion (which is, I have to say, GREAT);I have only finished a couple of M2:TW campaigns (the game lacks some appeal and there are too many plagues).

The reason that I haven't played these games as much as they deserve (or as much as I want to) is treefold:
-no save option in battles. Some of these battles take quite some time (half an hour or so, longer for sieges... yes, I am Sir Pausealot). If I want to play a quick game it's just not possible with this game;
-I play too much team fortress 2;
-I like the campaign map part a lot more than the RTS-part, but halfway I discover that the campaign map isn't as good as civ4. So I go play civ4, and after some hours I discover that either I lack iron or that civ4 involves a lot of unit shuffling. I hate civ4 combat. So I just go play something else.

grahamiam
09-02-2009, 15:34
I was also contemplating. I have $75 worth of gift cards and coupons for Amazon though and was thinking about Dragon Age: Origins instead but ETW was also considered. I think I'll sit on it and see if it lives to the expectations and for all bugs to get fixed which would happen right when the price drops down to $20-25.

Dragon Age was pushed back to Novemeber so all three platforms will be released at the same time rather than having the PC first and the consoles a few months later.

barbu1977
09-02-2009, 16:30
Dragon Age was pushed back to Novemeber so all three platforms will be released at the same time rather than having the PC first and the consoles a few months later.

They don't get it. They should have PC out first. Then they can correct the bugs before the non-patchable console games gets released.

grahamiam
09-02-2009, 17:42
They don't get it. They should have PC out first. Then they can correct the bugs before the non-patchable console games gets released.

My understanding was that the PC version of the game was going to get pushed back to mid summer anyways, so they decided to wait 3 more months and publish all 3 versions at the same time.

akots
09-02-2009, 20:56
Indeed, I just read the news. Well, Bioware is getting late with many things already. Just make sure that they don't go down completely and will actually release something eventually.

akots
09-02-2009, 21:03

The console games are quite patchable now if I'm not mistaken.

Regarding the bugs, for example, Oblivion which I'm playing from time to time out of pure boredom, was extensively patched for both PC and X-box (through X-box live) yet there are still over 2000 (!!!) misplaced links and objects and many a quest cannot be completed without an unofficial patch or console. Yet, this is one of the best products out there and one of the most polished with others falling greatly behind in quality.

Dell19
15-02-2009, 22:20
I didn't play M2TW half as much as I played RTW so I'm not sure if I will get ETW. Like Shabba the length of battles does in the end get quite annoying and unlike in MTW you cannot trust the AI to do even averagely well in auto resolved battles which was a great addition when trying to actually conquer all of Europe.

Other issues is that they still haven't fixed the diplomacy so it feels like once a war has started you will always be at war with that nation unless you have nearly finished them off - and then why not finish them off? It would be nice if there was a system similar to the paradox games where both nations actually try and agree a peace treaty.

Finally I would like a lot more cities and towns that can be separately captured but are grouped into the normal regions so that you don't need to split a garrison between multiple cities.

digger760
20-02-2009, 16:00
A demo is supposed to be availible from Steam at 4pm (GMT) today