PDA

View Full Version : Giving up on Col2 for now - PATCH NEEDED!!!

Darkness
03-11-2008, 09:49
Well, I'm sorry to say that I've shelved this game for now...

Two reasons:

REF build-up is totally flawed. The only thing that influences REF build-up is liberty bell production. :( The idiot designer that came up with this idea should be shot!
It's incredibly easy to win WoI. Just don't produce any bells at all until you're ready to start the WoI. Then set your statesmen to work to increase rebel sentiment. In about 20-25 turns you should have about 50% rebel sentiment, while the king has added 1 louzy unit per turn to the REF (which was already too small (on higher levels) to start with). So you get a really small REF, and you can beat it easily if you've prepared well.

Bad programming of AI fighting units in war-time. Especially naval units.
If you found your first colony directly adjacent to a coastal native village, the REF's Man-O-Wars will sooner or later end their turn in that village after bombarding your village. After which you can take out all the ships that are there with a single dragoon...

It's no fun playing like this... :(

akots
03-11-2008, 10:27
+1

Especially annoying is that AIs build their first colony with soldier while their pioneer is running building improvements. You can just sail with your starting soldier in caravel and kill them all even on a large or even huge map.

Also, even on the highest levels, the game can be won within a maximum of 50 turns just by scouting, buying statesmen and a few guns (to trade with natives and to arm your force) and then blowing up bells through the roof to 100% while pop is still low but there is enough force to defend against starting REF.

Yes, the game is broken in quite many ways, or so it seems, and it needs a decent patching.

socralynnek
03-11-2008, 10:49
Agree with the REF being badly designed.

It should start with a much higher number of soldiers and increase slower on bells (s.t. one might consider producing some bells earlier for FFs)

And other factors should be accounted as well. Maybe even pure pop. Units. Guns. Whatever.

Shabbaman
03-11-2008, 13:18
You've worded my sentiment very well. The finishing touch was finding out that not even buying military units from the docks add to the REF. Sloppy programming, that's what it is.

I think you could add a third reason: your exports have little impact on European economy.

Somehow I doubt we'll see a patch soon, or ever: with civ Firaxis is usually quick to correct some of their many blunders. This game seems to be low on their priority list.

akots
03-11-2008, 18:06
There are still a lot of bugs which actually make this game quite broken and essentially unplayable. While unofficial mods and patches address those quite adequately, the only thing Firaxis needs is just to incorporate those into an official patch (like Blake's AI) and this might be do-able even with low priority.

killercane
03-11-2008, 19:28
I still hate the interface. If you have essentially the same interface as CIV, why flip the darn thing and make me hunt and peck for what I am looking for? It is also hard to manage the MM of your city. Why wouldnt your citizen always go to food resource?

I like the trading, and concept of the game play, but damn it is boring starting out. I have started a total of 6 games and still havent continued through and fought the king.

Why do the natives love you so much at the start? Why cant they have random "wild indian attacks" or something in the beginning?

mauer
03-11-2008, 19:34
I still hate the interface. If you have essentially the same interface as CIV, why flip the darn thing and make me hunt and peck for what I am looking for? It is also hard to manage the MM of your city. Why wouldnt your citizen always go to food resource?

I like the trading, and concept of the game play, but damn it is boring starting out. I have started a total of 6 games and still havent continued through and fought the king.

Why do the natives love you so much at the start? Why cant they have random "wild indian attacks" or something in the beginning?
KC x 10

Beam
03-11-2008, 20:00
+10, see the WTF thread. Still on an evaluation license btw. [;)]

2k, Firaxis, if you bother to read this: you're missing revenue.

akots
03-11-2008, 20:27
... Why do the natives love you so much at the start? Why cant they have random "wild indian attacks" or something in the beginning?

Well, you actually have unless doing it with a scout or better seasoned scout. And I don't think they love you a lot unless you trade them guns and horses. I've had Monte declaring on me within the first 20 turns and this happened twice. Also, sometime even a scout might step on some burial grounds and natives will declare war. IMO, this is somewhat broken but not completely broken since actually natives were quite friendly to all Europeans in the beginning.

Stapel
05-11-2008, 00:08
I honoustly think that the 1994 original is better......

Shabbaman
05-11-2008, 09:08
I tend to agree with you, but I must say I'm unfamiliar with the exact mechanics of REF and European commodities price fluctuations in col1. But as far as I recall it seems a lot better than it is in col2.

Darkness
05-11-2008, 09:43
IIRC the REF just increased over time in Col1, although some influence of rebel sentiment could be present, but I'm just not sure about that.

Shabbaman
02-12-2008, 09:46
Firaxis doesn't seem to be in a hurry. They'd better hurry up, otherwise I'd have to reactivate the PTW-compensation scheme for their next game.

I must say that I'm really disappointed in this company. Support for civ-games has been solid, but I'm unsure if this was under public pressure or just "support". They've come up with a decent number of patches (there are more patches for civ games than other games usually get...), but this could be because of sloppy programming instead of superb support... Anyway, with PTW and railroads2 in mind I think I can safely declare Firaxis to be t3h suck [:O]

ProPain
02-12-2008, 14:28
Firaxis doesn't seem to be in a hurry. They'd better hurry up, otherwise I'd have to reactivate the PTW-compensation scheme for their next game.

I must say that I'm really disappointed in this company. Support for civ-games has been solid, but I'm unsure if this was under public pressure or just "support". They've come up with a decent number of patches (there are more patches for civ games than other games usually get...), but this could be because of sloppy programming instead of superb support... Anyway, with PTW and railroads2 in mind I think I can safely declare Firaxis to be t3h suck [:O]

I garee ottally

Darkness
14-02-2009, 10:10
Patch coming soon? (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=310351)

Shabbaman
14-02-2009, 11:12
Looks promising, could be fake. That list doesn't even include all fixes from dale's patch btw.

Darkness
14-02-2009, 13:10
Looks promising, could be fake. That list doesn't even include all fixes from dale's patch btw.

I know. Hence the question mark in my post...

NHJ
11-03-2009, 20:33
The game is updating itself through Steam, so I assume the patch is out.

Shabbaman
14-03-2009, 20:02
Indeed. The changelog doesn't seem too promising...

Released PITBOSS executable
The end of the game is extended once a colony declares independence
100 turns on Normal speed
Missionaries now have a chance of failure to establish a mission.
A failed mission angers the native chief
Added the ability to sail from Europe to the west edge of the map
Changed text for when natives abandon their settlements to be less confusing
Missions now always send converts to the player who established them
Added warning message for when a settlement needs more raw materials
Added warning for when stored goods are nearing storage capacity
AI tries to produce more defenders in their settlements
AI tries to prepare better for revolution
AI uses King to transport treasure if no Galleons are available
AI knows how to pick up treasures without bringing them to a settlement

Darkness
20-03-2009, 13:19
So, has anyone tried the patch?

Does it improve things or should I just continue playing FfH2 ?

akots
20-03-2009, 16:56
Id' stick with FfH, at least it is patched on a regular basis. [lol] They went through all alphabet and are probably going for two-letter code now.