PDA

View Full Version : Succession game

Darkness
02-10-2008, 09:57
All right. Quite a few of us have the game now, so it's probably time to start the succession game we talked about earlier.

What settings do we want?

Who wants to play?
- Darkness

Matrix
02-10-2008, 11:46
Count me in. :) This is exactly what I need, because I haven't got a clue what the best strategy is.

I don't care about the settings.

socralynnek
02-10-2008, 13:04
Bought it but haven't installed.

Count me in!

Settings: I don't care.

Nation: I think for an entry England is quite ok. At least in good old Col times...
At least with England you are quite forced to do much Colonist managment which is maybe the most interesting but tricky part. Maybe.

But I am fine with anything...

Stapel
02-10-2008, 13:16
Count me in with any settings. Let's not make it too easy!

Beam
02-10-2008, 13:18
I prefer to lurk and say something stupid occasionally.

Matrix
02-10-2008, 13:48
Stick to what you're good at. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Darkness
02-10-2008, 14:17
Settings:
Nation: England (Washington?)
Speed: normal
Map Size: standard
Diff. Level: ???
Rest: random

perhaps go "custom game", to include all 4 european powers and 6 of the 9 native tribes

Players:
Matrix
Socralynnek
Stapel
Darkness

Stapel
02-10-2008, 14:52
I suggest we pick the patriot level.

ProPain
02-10-2008, 16:15
I would like in but I still haven't got the game [cry]

Running to the store to fix this now. If they still don't have it I want my downpayment back. Bunch of slackers

akots
02-10-2008, 17:01
I'll play probably. Have no clue but I've installed it and it works, just did not play any games yet.

ProPain_admin
02-10-2008, 22:38
Managed to lay my hands on a copy!

So count me in please :)

Matrix
02-10-2008, 23:51
Careful with what account you posting there. ;)

ProPain
02-10-2008, 23:56
You're very right about the account, krys also pointed it out.

You're an observant bunch :)

Shabbaman
03-10-2008, 09:29
I figured you wanted to start fresh with a low postcount ;)

Darkness
03-10-2008, 10:26
Update

Settings:
Diff. Level: Patriot

perhaps go "custom game", to include all 4 european powers and 6 of the 9 native tribes

Players:
Matrix
Socralynnek
Stapel
Darkness
ProPain
akots

killercane
03-10-2008, 12:04
I'll play, couldnt log in under killercane and had to wait for posting privileges for this account to be activated.

Shabbaman
03-10-2008, 12:09
Pfff, you got me thinking we had a new member... PM me a current email adress, then I'll edit your old account.

Anyway, why am I not on that list? Must! Have!

Darkness
03-10-2008, 19:04
Update

Settings:
Diff. Level: Patriot

Players:
Matrix
Socralynnek
Stapel
Darkness
ProPain
akots
killercane
Shabbaman

10 turns each?

Matrix
03-10-2008, 20:34
I think Patriot is too high, since we're all still rookies in this game. Plus I prefer not to start.

mauer
03-10-2008, 20:58
Looks like you guys have a more than a handful to start. I'll not play in this one and just watch instead. That is, if you guys don't mind a vocal lurker.

ProPain
03-10-2008, 22:33
Looks like you guys have a more than a handful to start. I'll not play in this one and just watch instead. That is, if you guys don't mind a vocal lurker.

We love those. Especially when they mix in some spam with their comments :)

killercane
04-10-2008, 03:09
Ok I opened it up and installed. Cranked it up to Deity equivalent for the first game, and lo and behold, I dont know what the balls to do. I end up squeezing my first settlement in between John Adams (just watched his miniseries based on the biography, good stuff) and the Arawaks.

You cant build workboats, workers or units, just basket weaving shops? I thought a clam and bananas would be good, but I was growing in like 60 turns. What is the "food" icon, the wheat things?

Why did they change the interface so drastically but basically leave the underlying code the same? IE, once I figured out that the screen buttons were reversed, I easily found the "Options" tab on the other side of the screen. Tricksy Firaxians.

Lots to learn...

mauer
04-10-2008, 03:28
Hoorah! Someone that knows as little, or less, about the game as I do!

socralynnek
04-10-2008, 10:09
Workers: Move a colonist to the garrison part and chose Pioneer (You need to give him 50 tools)

Building units: You can build Wagon trains, ships and cannons.

For military units: You need to do the same as with the pioneer but chose soldier if you have guns.

Or buy a unit in Europe.

Otherwise you can get natives by missionising or you get a colonist when you have more than 200 food in a colony.

So basically the same as with good old Colonization...

For bananas I guess you have to build a farm with a pioneer there.

killercane
04-10-2008, 13:56
Workers: Move a colonist to the garrison part and chose Pioneer (You need to give him 50 tools)

Building units: You can build Wagon trains, ships and cannons.

For military units: You need to do the same as with the pioneer but chose soldier if you have guns.

Or buy a unit in Europe.

Otherwise you can get natives by missionising or you get a colonist when you have more than 200 food in a colony.

So basically the same as with good old Colonization...

For bananas I guess you have to build a farm with a pioneer there.
Sweet. So I started with random and got Stuyvesant. I have a Pioneer and a soldier, but they can both build towns. Do I want to build two towns? I moved the soldier on to the bananas after founding with my pioneer but he doesnt do jack. I will play around with it again this evening.

socralynnek
04-10-2008, 15:12
Sweet. So I started with random and got Stuyvesant. I have a Pioneer and a soldier, but they can both build towns. Do I want to build two towns? I moved the soldier on to the bananas after founding with my pioneer but he doesnt do jack. I will play around with it again this evening.

The soldier can't do anything on the bananas. A Pioneer needs to do that. I.e. he must be equiped with tools to be a pioneer.

Building 1 or 2 towns in the beginning is a good question, I always asked myself in Col I...

In your case you could join the settlement with the soldier and then equip the pioneer with the tools and let him build a farm on the bananas.

digger760
07-10-2008, 15:17
Whats happening here, when are you guys starting, dont forget to post some screen shots for us lurkers.

Shabbaman
07-10-2008, 15:20
That's one solid [bump]

I'll start a game tomorrow night, unless someone starts a game tonight and mails me my turns tomorrow!

Matrix
07-10-2008, 19:32
I'd say go your gang.

By the way, we have eight participants. How many turns does the game have in total? Cos with ten turns we won't play often. Perhaps we should play eight turns?

Or a multiplayer succession game, with two teams. [evil]

Darkness
07-10-2008, 20:32
Go ahead Shabba. I am totally swamped at work this week, so I certainly won't start anything before you will...

socralynnek
07-10-2008, 22:01
8 turns sounds fine!

And don't forget the pics!

akots
08-10-2008, 02:11
Yes, please describe anything you do. I've read the manual but have not yet played. Been infected with "The Witcher" and badly infected. I've read Sapkowski's books in Russian translation about 10 years ago and it made a very deep impression on me. And I like the game immensely. It is quite glitchy though and occasionally nags up on sexual scenes. This is quite frustrating considering that the US edition is censored. [lol]

grahamiam
08-10-2008, 02:51
Yes, please describe anything you do. I've read the manual but have not yet played. Been infected with "The Witcher" and badly infected. I've read Sapkowski's books in Russian translation about 10 years ago and it made a very deep impression on me. And I like the game immensely. It is quite glitchy though and occasionally nags up on sexual scenes. This is quite frustrating considering that the US edition is censored. [lol]
I've heard that it's quite good, and the enhanced edition was just released [thumbsup]

I personally have been playing Hinterland as it seems to fit with the amount of time I have atm. I'll pick up Col2 if this SG shows it to be a good game :)

akots
08-10-2008, 08:23
I've heard that it's quite good, and the enhanced edition was just released [thumbsup]

It is not just good, it is incredible. I really have that sincere adoration for an RPG although being a long-term fan starting with Eye of the Beholder 1-2-3 and Betrayal at Krondor. Belive me, I've tried recently Oblivion, Gothic 3, and some stupid Dungeon Lords and did not like them a single bit. NWN2 is quite good including the expansion pack but Witcher is just another level of game design. Especially good is the interface and graphics are really breathtaking even though I play at medium settings due to great slow down at high detail setting. There are some minor glitches and bugs still left but I can live with that. And I've just update the video driver which actually seemed to help against the crashes. I'm afraid I'll get too addicted.

The main thing is that the further you get in the game, the more exciting it gets is terms of plot and gameplay which is a very rare feature of on RPG.

ProPain
08-10-2008, 13:34
although being a long-term fan starting with Eye of the Beholder 1-2-3 and Betrayal at Krondor.

Those games were great, especially Krondor is a long time favorite of mine.

Stapel
08-10-2008, 14:30
This is drifting away, right?

Start it up Shabba! Eight turns sounds ok to me.

socralynnek
08-10-2008, 15:41
I guess, we need a name for the game right?

How about "CDZ's first trip to the New World"?

Or "Dutch cheese smells bad".

Start it up Shabba and open a new thread!

Matrix
08-10-2008, 16:13
I like your first suggestion better than the second. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/cringe.gif

digger760
08-10-2008, 17:10
I subscribe to the theory "the stinkier the cheese the better it tastes"

Stapel
10-10-2008, 11:03
Nah und?

Shabbaman
11-10-2008, 09:28
Actually, your save is here (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119131&postcount=23) I guess...

killercane
11-10-2008, 17:44
Can we kill some Indians already or what?