PDA

View Full Version : Personal forum permission settings

ProPain
23-09-2008, 10:41
Some members talked to me about the personal stuff in their forum being indexed by search engine bots. To prevent this from happening I set all the personal fora to be readable by registered members only on the new VB forum.

I'm thinking of doing this for several more fora.

PP

Shabbaman
23-09-2008, 11:37
AFAIK we have the same problem here. That's why we have the members area.

ProPain
23-09-2008, 19:08
You're right. we do have the same problem here. I can't pu in a setting here for the whole 'PBEM & Pitboss' category but everybody can adjust the setting of their personal forum to 'members only' using the forum edit icon. On VB I can adjust the category as well and so make all fora in the PBEM & Pitboss cat member only.

Shabbaman
24-09-2008, 08:13
They can, but do we want to? The spoilers are this site´s main attraction. There´s nothing that would prohibit anyone to sign up and read them (well, you can´t register right now, but you get the point) but if we make it invisible, will people know what they´re signing up to? I´m not against changing it, because it will save us new trouble with CFC wankers. But it´d have to be a clear choice. AND we´d have to figure out a way to show to unregistered people that we have spoilers (aka `featured spoilers` links on the main page!).

ProPain
24-09-2008, 09:40
A very simple solution would be to allow everyone to create a members only subforum within their forum. That way you can shield your familyfoto's from the greedy search engine spider but have the spoilers in the open for everyone to see.

Shabbaman
24-09-2008, 09:58
Brilliant idea! Still, those threads could also go into the Members area, that'd keep the forum tidy.

socralynnek
24-09-2008, 11:19
Maybe you could check whether vB has an option to mark certain threads "member only" instead of whole forums. I think, I have seen this somewhere...

ProPain
24-09-2008, 13:11
@Shabba: I can set the subfora not to be displayed or to be displayed as subline in the forum text. That should keep it tidy as well and has the advantage that people can moderate their own thread.

@socra: Will check that tonight, cause that would solve the whole issue at once and very elegantly as well

Pastorius
24-09-2008, 17:59
Can someone do a "forum mod-options for dummies" demonstration, as I can only find thread management options, and no forum edit options [ack]

Socrates
24-09-2008, 19:25
Something I had in mind a long time ago is to be able to create subfora within our own forum. Like, I'd like to seperate Civ3 spoilers from Civ4 spoilers, and also from the rest, etc... Is it possible ?

Shabbaman
24-09-2008, 19:41
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

Something I had in mind a long time ago is to be able to create subfora within our own forum. Like, I'd like to seperate Civ3 spoilers from Civ4 spoilers, and also from the rest, etc... Is it possible ?

quote:Originally posted by ProPain

A very simple solution would be to allow everyone to create a members only subforum within their forum.

[mischief]

ProPain
24-09-2008, 20:13
Subfora should be possible, havent tried em yet though :)

@ socra: checked the thread options, couldnt find a member only option. One positive sign is that attachments uploaded using VB can only be seen by logged in members by default. Even the thumbnails don't appear for guests.

mauer
24-09-2008, 20:52
Stupid question maybe, but, is the new forum being used already or just being spitshined?

ProPain
24-09-2008, 22:13
100% spitshined. I plan to do the final move friday night.

The non-imported user issue seems resolved. I think I worker out the smilie problem as well which leaves us with double posts and cleaning up non working snitz forum code as major issues. Wanna look into that tomorrow.

BCLG100
24-09-2008, 23:37
is this address going to autoforward there or do i need to learn the new one?

ProPain
25-09-2008, 00:14
Well, I planned to leave this site up for a while so oldtimers who visit here occasionaly but dunno their email details anymore can PM me here. I'll provide a link on a prominent place on the home page though so you dont have to learn the address.

I'm also looking into forwarding www.civduelzone.com to the forum page as long as I don't have VB Advanced (portal add on for VB) installed.