PDA

View Full Version : DS games

ProPain
05-08-2008, 00:10
So I own a DS and have quite some history in the big N's handhelds: apart from the 1st Gameboy I own them all. In my experience handheld games are can be good fun or utter crap. Especially in the early days when internet reviews werent common place like now I was finding myself having bought crap more often than not.

Although the net done wonders for game reviews I'm very anxious to hear what other DS owners around here play. After my discussion with Shabba at the CDZ meeting I thought it would be cool to discuss what we strat gamers like on our handhelds :)

ProPain
05-08-2008, 00:22
To kick it off:
My personal top 3:

- Puzzle Quest: discovered this a few days ago and man is that addictive! Bejeweled meets RPG and somehow it works like a charm. Although there are RPG elements they're not the core of the game imo. I tend to click away the text and just play another battle. The great elements taken from RPG are the spells that you can use to manipulate the 'bejeweled' board, which keeps the game always interesting with new options.
- Zelda, phantom hourglass: good old Zelda adventure, nothing much to say about it really :)
- Mario Kart: Bought this because of the high reviews and although I usually hate racing: this game is addictive. Not your classic racing but more a cartoon take on racing. With cups and time trials this is very addictive as well

col
05-08-2008, 18:14
Age of Empires - a turn based AoE and surprisingly good.

I like Mario too - but I got bored with Zelda.

Moy is addicted to Brain Training and Sudoku.

Shabbaman
06-08-2008, 14:14
Geometry wars is the bomb.

ProPain
06-08-2008, 16:44
I like Geometry wars a lot for it's gameplay but once the screen gets crowded with heaps of enemies my DS lacks the processor power to keep the game at full speed and the whole thing becomes slow. That ruins the whole game for me.

digger760
10-10-2008, 12:22
I cant find the thread were Shabba says Civ Revolutions for DS is CRAP....but can somebody tell me why it is CRAP.

Its finally on sale in Ireland...but 50 for Euros!!!!!

My better half wants me to by a DS for us all to use, so we all get to buy a game each. She wants Sonic, my daughter will want Nintendogs, but i'm not sure what want. looks like Civ Rev is a waste money and there are much more fun games availible.

Matrix
10-10-2008, 12:57
So I own a DS and have quite some history in the big N's handhelds: apart from the 1st Gameboy I own them all.
The first Gameboy is the only handheld I've owned. :rolleyes:

It had Tetris on it. The only adequate version: where all building block had four tiles and thus the best way to four lines done at once was with the long one, and that gave a bonus. :cool:

Shabbaman
10-10-2008, 13:15
I cant find the thread were Shabba says Civ Revolutions for DS is CRAP....but can somebody tell me why it is CRAP

It's here (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4288). In short: combat sucks, presentation of information sucks, too much random events, and it's a dumbed down version of civ2. But a lot smaller and uglier. Playing the game isn't enjoyable in any way (besides the feeling that you're playing civ). Really, thinking of the game makes me wheep.

On the ps3 and xbox2 it looks a lot better. Because the screen is larger I assume a lot of information is shown properly on these systems. In itself the game isn't that bad, it's just a simple version of civ plus a lot of random evens (aka crap) to speed the game up. The DS has none of the upside these controls has though. The bad thing is that you can't patch a DS game, so it won't get any better ever.

mauer
10-10-2008, 19:36
Mario Tennis was quite awesome as well. I spent countless hours playing that while on duty.