PDA

View Full Version : The Gout

killercane
13-06-2008, 14:51
I came down with one of the most excruciating, bend-over-at-the-waist-and-cry-out-in-pain pains ever yesterday. Went to the doc, they say it is tendonitis/arthritis, throw a couple ibuprofen on me, and tell me to call them in a couple.

After doing some self diagnosis, however, Im 95% sure it is gout. Big toe? Check. Male? Check. Too much red meat and sugar? Check. So, anyone ever had it before?

My wife finds this hilarious naturally, as everyone seems to think its an old man's disease.

socralynnek
13-06-2008, 15:15
I think you should use a new nick How about "He-was-once-called-a-killer"-cane.

Or: "Too-old-to-be-a-killer"-cane?

Oh, no jokes about diseases, I forgot. Sorry.

Matrix
13-06-2008, 15:20
I'm hardly familiar with it at all. Did you suggest the doctor it might be gout? So many people go to the doctor, but once they are at home they decide it's something else and make up their own plan. [crazyeye] But again, I have no idea what why when where and how.

Shabbaman
13-06-2008, 15:35
I had to look up what it is in dutch. To save others the effort, and to add to the hilarity I'll post a picture of it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Gicht_am_Grosszehgelenk.jpg

Well, look at it this way: no more diaper changing for you. See if she's still laughing after you're "forced" to play civ for days...

killercane
13-06-2008, 20:29
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

I'm hardly familiar with it at all. Did you suggest the doctor it might be gout? So many people go to the doctor, but once they are at home they decide it's something else and make up their own plan. [crazyeye] But again, I have no idea what why when where and how.

The young Indian resident doctor mentioned it but the old white guy doctor took one look and said arthritis and tendinitis and call if it doesnt get better. Im inclined to believe the young guy since arthritis tends to come on slowly to my understanding. Meanwhile it hurts like a son of a bitch. I mean I can take pain well, Ive broken 8 bones, even a compound fracture, and the last couple fingers I broke I just popped them back into place but this is just pain on another level. Its like my toe is exploding constantly.

Wiki tells me to eat cherries, cheese, and celery until it is gone, and no red meat. Hows a man to survive on that?

killercane
13-06-2008, 20:32
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

I had to look up what it is in dutch. To save others the effort, and to add to the hilarity I'll post a picture of it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Gicht_am_Grosszehgelenk.jpg

Well, look at it this way: no more diaper changing for you. See if she's still laughing after you're "forced" to play civ for days...

I was waiting for someone to do:

[morepics]

If you clamor for some toe shots, I might just oblige.

akots
13-06-2008, 20:46
It can be gout if the pain does not diminish strongly with ibuprofen. If it is gout, you are on to a strict diet for a long time and that diet should be quite healthy.

Robboo
14-06-2008, 00:34
Your probably faking so you dont have to wake up at 2am and change diapers.

mauer
14-06-2008, 02:22
Gout's not good. I've never had it but my pappy did a couple years ago. Probably about your age I'm guessing......53

BCLG100
14-06-2008, 02:39
You got a bad case of piles as well casey? ;)

mauer
14-06-2008, 03:09
Casey, some things to watch for.....just click the link

http://images.google.com/images?q=gout&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Whomp
20-06-2008, 00:27
Ow.

ProPain
20-06-2008, 01:13
ouch, painfull affliction. Hang in there!

killercane
21-06-2008, 00:27
The Ordeal of the Big Toe is now over. I met a new inlaw, a 65 year old aunt of the guy my sister in law just married, and she had just had gout and had her meds. Within 48 hours it was gone after taking endomethacin.

By the by, my sister in law got divorced last Wednesday, and remarried to a new guy Saturday. Talk about moving along!

mauer
02-07-2008, 19:03
So how's the baby? We need pics, preferably breastfeeding ones.

killercane
07-07-2008, 18:43
I will see what I can come up with. Thanks for asking Cody!