PDA

View Full Version : *** Rule CDZ II SPOILER ***

akots
17-05-2008, 09:18
So, you might ask, the game is past its middle and where is your spoiler? Well, better later than never, isn't it? Besides, I have some screenshots stored for quite awhile for this game, just need to gather my wits and try to analyze what was actually happening there in this game.

I don't think I can write it in one post or even in a couple of posts within one night. it might require more than that especially considering a mess with politics there and a number of errors (or may be not errors, may be it were OK) which I have made during the early game.

First important thing is the map and it is a modified Rhye's Earth map and I was playing as India as Asoka. Well, they could have put me at least as Gandhi since Asoka is quite a useless leader. Well, I was quite unhappy with the random choice that was made for me in this game. Actually, I was so unhappy that I thought at first, I will not play at all but out of curiosity decided to see what is going to happen and when I get killed.

It turned out that India is more resilient than it actually seems based on the map and it is quite possible to survive despite very strange terrain features, potentially powerful neighbors, and crappy UU, leader, and UB. Well, UB is not that crappy, it is just so late in the game, it makes little use.

The terrain is not that bad overall but there are a few hard decisions to make right from the start. First and foremost was peace with neighbors including Khmer, Egypt, possible Mongols and quite unlikely China.

I'm not sure how Beam and Matrix edited the map because starting position of China is just unbelievably powerful. Especially considering that China rather easily won RTWI game. It positively should be somewhat tweaked down, or at least there should be Japan there but who wants to play as Japan on this map against human players? Even though it is fully stuffed with all imaginable resources, it is still 4 cities maximum until much later in the game.

Well, in any case, another map tweak which was weird was actual lack of copper near the start. moreover, there was also lack of iron near the start which I suspect was done on purpose since in some version of the map, there were either iron or copper near the start.

We have started with 2 settlers, worker, and warriors. So, while position of Delhi was quite evident, the second city had to be placed somewhere where it were possible to grab either horses or iron. Considering that Khmer, Egypt, Mongols, and China, all of those had copper and only Khmer did not have horses, to be able to survive I had to run with the second settler towards the area of Afghanistan which was the only place with both a metal resource and horses. So, the mad settler run started towards Kandahar.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/20085178424_RTW2-earlyplan.jpg
115.21 KB

Another problem was absolutely useless early Mysticism which was required to build an Obelisk for border expansion there to grab iron. How come India does not start with Mysticism? That is weird IMHO.

In any case, the settler arrived in place unobstructed and was able to settle the city. Grahamiam who plays Egypt in this game, settled Memphis (in place of Babylon or Baghdad) near stone tile apparently aiming for Pyramids thus making Kandahar very vulnerable to cultural pressure but there was little choice for me here because of a possibility of being attacked by Egyptian war chariots. So, I had to make peace with him and a long-term peace, not just a short deal.

You can see the borders we agred upon on a screenshot above.

Another huge concern was Khmer because by settling second city right on top of the bronze jungle, Beam who played Khmer, could have killed me in 20 turns after the start. Well, for some reason he did not settle on top of the copper jungle hill and did not kill me and this was his fatal mistake in this game. Instead, he agree to peace with India and alliance to eliminate China.

Mongols were quite neutral apparently having something else in mind and Russia is another story in this game which I shall continue somewhat later on.

Here is the border with Khmer we agreed upon with Beam.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/akots/200851781245_RTW2-khmer-treaty.jpg
32.68 KB

I was eventually able to build Kolkata and he built Rocker but this Rocker town did not do him no good. Indeed, it did not do any good to me, to Mongols, and to China as well, so I eventually had to just raze it in the second Chinese war.

So, with both eastern and western borders secured, I have started to improve the land and connect horses and iron while researching Animal Husbandry, Mysticism, and Iron Working. Mongols, China, and Russia were a bit too far away for an immediate rush and early game survival was thus secured.

Now, the second chapter will be the stupid Indian-Russian war which brought me little benefit if none at all and I'll tell that tale later on.

digger760
17-05-2008, 13:49
hey this is great your posting it here, i had assumed you had a spoiler on that russian site where you posed the 1st game, that was a bit difficult to read there due to the babel fish translation.

Anyway looking forward to when you post about the massive battle that is on going with china (based on info from the open thread)

Beam
10-08-2008, 22:44
akots, an update of your spoiler is greatly appreciated! [worship]