PDA

View Full Version : Questions and hopefully quick answers

smalltalk
24-04-2008, 18:29
Hi guys. I lost my mind and started this browser game. As if I had nothing better to do. [headstab]

Anyway. Here's the game.

You start with one city on an island. Each island has one out of four resources:

marble - for building
wine - for happines
crystal - for building science
sulphur - for building troops

Each island also has a saw mill producing wood, which is needed for building and for donating. Your production volume depends on how much the players on an island have donated to the mills, quarries, vinyards ...

Up to 16 players can be on one island. You can trade stuff with people on surrounding islands. Cities are producing gold, depending on how much workers and scientists you employ, military costs upkeep.

Cities can not be wiped out. Worst case is you get raided or occupied, loosing gold and goods.

www.ikariam.org

I'm playing on the lambda world.

Looks like I found a couple of decent allies there. I will point them to this thread, island mail is just to tideous for making plans - so there might be new faces to this board. :)

Matrix
24-04-2008, 20:20
Ha, I just happened to have started this game today! :D

I'm on the Beta world. How do you end up on the lambda world? I could only choose between alpha and beta...

CrossVain
24-04-2008, 20:39
Hey small thanks for setting this up ^^
And matrix the reason you can not see lambda is cause you are probably going to www.ikariam.com but you need to go to .org to see all the servers

Matrix
24-04-2008, 21:10
Almost. I'm playing on www.ikariam.nl. [tongue]

CrossVain
24-04-2008, 21:13
Well come on over to .org and join our clan ^^

smalltalk
24-04-2008, 22:02
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Ha, I just happened to have started this game today! :DNice to see you again. :)

What kind of island did you land on?
quote:Originally posted by CrossVain

Hey small thanks for setting this up ^^My pleasure. Thanks goes to the guys running this board.
quote:
Well come on over to .org and join our clan ^^
Indeed. One day isn't that much yet. Unless you have friends on .nl

Mistfit
24-04-2008, 22:29
Hmmmm.. I have signed up and have my little town.. I started on an academy.. I am unsure what to do with my Woodshop thingy.. Lumbermill I suppose

Name: Mistfit
Town: Polis (how to change name? )
Island: Ludios?
Seemingly the only other human on the island is Elton in a town called Malta

Mistfit
24-04-2008, 23:05
Well I figured out how to change the name of my town.. it is not Idioton.. I have build barracks/academy and harbor.. I hope I am doing the correct thing.

CrossVain
24-04-2008, 23:16
Misfit what you need to do is press the "Show island button" then click on the pile of wood and put workers on it all 40 of em
get Academy up to level 3 soon make sure to upgrade town hall as well before you go to sleep get a town wall up too
and just keep upgrading

Ohh nvm dont put all workers on wood make sure you have full scientists too (Do so by clicking on the academy)

Mistfit
24-04-2008, 23:20
I think I built a ship too :D

and maybe a slinger

CrossVain
24-04-2008, 23:48
Hey misfit what is your island location? ..... it displays it right under where your resources are displayed
Should be something like [11:11]

Mistfit
24-04-2008, 23:50
[19:51]

Mistfit
24-04-2008, 23:51
btw.. I cannot reply to message atm because I am at work and used my home email to verify... so I have to wait to get home to do that and it will not allow me to send messages til I get that done

smalltalk
25-04-2008, 00:01
quote:Originally posted by Mistfit

I have build barracks/academy and harbor.. I hope I am doing the correct thing.Depends on what kind of island you are on.

Krys liked to lecture people about "food is powa" in Civ3. I think that growth is power in Ikariam.

Dope your people up with booze. Build as much museums and sign as much cultural treaties as you can. The happiness boost is for free. Focus on the necessary tech. Beline for wine press.

If you are on a peaceful island, neglect building of a standing army. Only islanders can attack you without blocking your harbor first. Build a few ballista ships to fend off overeager guys looking for easy targets. Keep your warehouse at a decent level.

While attacking, troops and ships cost double upkeep. War ships are much slower than trade ships. If a raid costs more than it harvests, the raiders are pwnd.

Matrix
25-04-2008, 00:23
Nickname: MatrixCL
Island: Rekoios (33:44)
Town: Strastad

Where are you, smalltalk?

Mistfit
25-04-2008, 00:25
[60:52] is small talk town small precious

Mistfit
25-04-2008, 00:29
Matrix.. you have some fairly large towns on your island.. and sulpher.. just what every budding civilization needs :P

Mistfit
25-04-2008, 00:46
If there are going to be at least 4 of us lurking here maybe we could open a sub forum for the game similar to what HT has.. a Quick answer/trades/war threads might be useful eventually

smalltalk
25-04-2008, 00:47
Starter kit sent to both of you.

ETA to Mistfit is like 15 hours. Cough.

My capital is at [63:47]

CrossVain
25-04-2008, 01:03
Hmmmmmmm interesting ...... are you all interested in joining our clan..... we just may require you to move into our island chain though :(
if so we can go to our alliance forum to talk...

smalltalk
25-04-2008, 01:36
quote:Originally posted by CrossVain... are you all interested in joining our clan..... Well, my idea about this game is that you need friends, not necessarily formal allies. Having a high score is nice, but it's not everything.

quote:we just may require you to move into our island chain though :(
That's nonsense, quite frankly.

If that's your idea of an alliance - I'm out.

CrossVain
25-04-2008, 01:58
High score is not everything I agree..... but that little alliance tag below your name scares people
which is quite useful in the beginning

And it is in no way nonsense to want our alliance to stick close together as a matter of fact it is ideal

Also let me rephrase I did not mean "Require" more so I recommend taking the time and the score decline to relocate in turns making it better in the long run for the whole alliance

If you feel you need to leave... so be it I dont hold grudges or anything... as long as you still donate to the mills :D

smalltalk
25-04-2008, 10:38
Also let me rephrase I did not mean "Require" more so I recommend taking the time and the score decline to relocate in turns making it better in the long run for the whole allianceOK, makes sense.

quote:... as long as you still donate to the mills :DFor sure. Best donator again on the marble island. [:P]

Matrix
25-04-2008, 12:18
Thanks for the 'starter kit', smalltalk. :D

For now I'd like to remain independent, at least until I really grasp the game mechanics. But you do got yourself a friend. ;)

smalltalk
25-04-2008, 18:11

For now I'd like to remain independent, at least until I really grasp the game mechanics. But you do got yourself a friend. ;)
Well, let me try to bribe you to hop over with the shipment of the necessary wood to build palace and colony.

I mean, I'll give you a bump whether you hop over or not. ;) But I think in your special case it might make sense to abandon your colony.

Because you came out on a sulphur island, which is the worst, I think. Cheapest resource in the game. You will have to buy anything you need for expanding. Unless you go all military and farm your neighbors to get your supplies. :D

In short: found a colony as soon as possible. Whether it's local or over at our coords.

CrossVain
25-04-2008, 18:24

Well pretty much the sole reason of me asking if you wanted to join the clan is just so we can go on the alliance chat board

which as long as you are not a spy.... (looks around the room suspiciously) we can do anyway lol

Matrix
25-04-2008, 18:27
Ok, thanks for the advice. By the way, the resources you sent me - I think they're gone, since I don't have the 'wealth' technology. [rolleyes]

smalltalk
25-04-2008, 19:42

...the resources you sent me - I think they're gone, since I don't have the 'wealth' technology. [rolleyes]
Capitol starts with 50 of each resource. You just can't see those now. So I think it's ok. Do you see the wood?

BTW, here's the tech tree. It's ridiculously large, but still better than the online help, I think.

http://212.227.42.12/extern/pics/ikariam_techtree.gif

Matrix
25-04-2008, 20:34
You're right. Now that I have 'wealth' I got your other resources too. :)

CrossVain
25-04-2008, 23:49
I recommend that you stay in economy, until wine press, and then switch to science.
and then, once you get to paper in science, I recommend going into sea faring until expansion.

Oh, and be careful because I think, I remember reading a rule, something like, if you send a shipment to someone and they don't send a shipment back, you can get banned or temp ban, not positive though.

Mistfit
26-04-2008, 15:03
ok.. so I am progressing along.. the other inhabitants of my island are so far unresponsive.. I have messaged them to ask that they donate to the Mill and Crystal mine.

I have gotten my academy up to level 3 - city walls - and I am currently researching wine press.
I think I have 4 slingers as well.

Now what?
How do I send out a shipment to someone?

I need some direction

Mistfit
26-04-2008, 15:04
and how do I expand the amount of housing for my peoples.. the thing says that I am at 110/110 so does that mean I am not growing?

Mistfit
26-04-2008, 15:11
also I see someone willing to buy wood at 2 gold per log.. he wants 200 logs.. should I do it just to have a trade partner? He is one island away

Mistfit
26-04-2008, 15:31
oh.. and if you are suggesting me to abandon my colony should I be building stuff here?

Matrix
26-04-2008, 17:05
When you chop for wood yourself: one log per hour costs four gold per hour, so one log costs four gold. I don't see any reason why you'd trade wood at all.

smalltalk
26-04-2008, 18:28
quote:How do I send out a shipment to someone?You need a trading post to buy and sell stuff locally.

You should be able send stuff to cities close to you by going to the world view and click on an island. Island view comes up, you click on a town and are now able to choose "transport goods" or something. Sending at vaster distances needs the tech expansion.

quote:and how do I expand the amount of housing for my peoples.. the thing says that I am at 110/110 so does that mean I am not growing?Expand town hall.

quote:oh.. and if you are suggesting me to abandon my colony should I be building stuff here?You're on a crystal island. Not the best starting location, but I'd stay there. Unless you are bored with your non responding neighbors.

quote:When you chop for wood yourself: one log per hour costs four gold per hour, so one log costs four gold. I don't see any reason why you'd trade wood at all.Indeed.

I would deem these to be fair prices:

wood - 12 - 17, but I frequently buy at 20 or higher
sulphur 15 - 25
wine - 20 - 35
crystal 25 - 35
marble 30 - 40

Note that this is my personal idea of resource value. I just looked, and the local market is a bit different. Actually sulphur is more expensive than wine.

Mistfit
26-04-2008, 18:43
I have no problem moving... there are some uninhabited islands to your north west that I could choose from. I have only sent a couple of days upgrading my town so it is not big loss I suppose. although I suppose moving 6 islands away from you would mean that we would not overlap as much on trading routes :D

You are the master so.. teach me :D

CrossVain
26-04-2008, 18:51

I have no problem moving... there are some uninhabited islands to your north west that I could choose from. I have only sent a couple of days upgrading my town so it is not big loss I suppose. although I suppose moving 6 islands away from you would mean that we would not overlap as much on trading routes :D

You are the master so.. teach me :D

If we were all close, we could always offer faster military assistance, and trades.... so it seems worth it to me.
But its up to the master of the town ^^

Matrix
26-04-2008, 19:47
I've got a novice question of my own: it says if I want to build a colony I need a palace. When can I build a palace?

Mistfit
26-04-2008, 20:01
You need to have researched
Field of Research: Seafaring
quote:Name: Expansion
Description: Out there is more than just an ocean! More Islands await being discovered. We are not alone! We can gain ground on one of the newly discovered island, tap new resources and get to know other peoples! And our clerks are eager to administer even more!

Allow: Building palaces, founding colonies
Current research time: 1D 3h 30m (440 Research Points)

smalltalk
26-04-2008, 21:49

I have no problem moving... there are some uninhabited islands to your north west that I could choose from. I have only sent a couple of days upgrading my town so it is not big loss I suppose. although I suppose moving 6 islands away from you would mean that we would not overlap as much on trading routes :DIf you are going to make the jump, only build the stuff you really need. Academy, trade port, palace, maybe a town hall expansion. I'm not sure if you have to expand your warehouse so it can hold the necessary wood, I think it can be overloaded.

Right now, there is one free spot at Gupheios[60:52], my crystal island. It's a decent island with lots of good donators. Personally, I'd go for marble first. But then, a high level island can give you a good start. I'll ask around for island levels, if you do move.

CrossVain
26-04-2008, 21:59

I've got a novice question of my own: it says if I want to build a colony I need a palace. When can I build a palace?

You need to get up to 'Expansion' in Sea Faring

Mistfit
26-04-2008, 23:19
I think it will take 2 days to learn Expansion.. at that point we can talk about what is involved in moving.. I will save my wood and other items unless it helps get to palace building sooner

Matrix
26-04-2008, 23:20
Sweet, thanks. :) When looking at the palace in help it should say what technology is necessary for that IMO.

Mistfit
27-04-2008, 00:05
also I can be found quite frequently at nchtc3 (at) chartermi (dot) net on MSN chat so if you are ever there look me up.

I will be able to track this a little better once my internet connection is fixed at home. I hope that happens Tuesday

Mistfit
28-04-2008, 13:35
This is a good article on how colonies work and how to do the palace move:

http://board.ikariam.org/thread.php?threadid=4735

Mistfit
28-04-2008, 13:50
Finally you need 5 free merchant ships, 1250 wood und 12.000 gold - furthermore 40 citizens from your capital will be resettled.

I have the 5 ships.. I am working on the gold by selling crystals and I will have the wood soon. So keep an eye out for a good settling spot for me.

Mistfit
28-04-2008, 20:23
How about 73:54 it has an open spot on a Marble island. I think it is about 14 islands away

smalltalk
29-04-2008, 01:43
Sorry, wasn't looking here today. Questions already answered in-game.

My opinion is it would be quite a gamble to move, given the circumstances. Might turn out fine, might not. Mostly depends on the deletion rate of inactive players. If you move and no one goes inactive, vanishes and opens up the city spot, your royally fucked.

CrossVain
29-04-2008, 02:19
Yeah, there are about 9 guys on our marble island, who were obviously banned for multi accounting.

So, if you are willing to wait on getting a marble island(They haven't been removed yet), you could probably get there.

However, I don't think that would be the smartest move.
Given marble is one of the most important resources. Even though I would help as much as I could.
it still probably wouldn't be enough, for the time it may take for inactive players to be deleted.

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 02:44
So.. are you telling me to stay put?

If not I would be ready to move in 24 hours.

The only reason I would move would be to be a part of your alliance.
If I do not get some help finding a spot within 24 hours I will go ahead and colonize where I am at and just play solo.

Things to consider:
I will be a moderately active player.. not a fanatic but not a slacker either.
I would like to know what role you would want me to play in your Alliance --> Resource/Trading/Miliary
I would also like to know what would be expected out of me before I make the move.

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 02:51
how far is 56:44 from you guys?

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 03:24
also if you decide that it is better to stay put how far from my capital should I make my first colony?

CrossVain
29-04-2008, 04:42
Here are some of the alliance islands
64-51 Marble (Me, Small, and 2 other members)
63-47 Wine (Me, Small, 3 other members)
56-53 Crystal (Me, 1 other members)
+1 to all islands but hes inactive

What I was suggesting, was to colonize an island (Any resource) then by the time you plant a second colony. there should be a slot on one of our alliance populated islands.
And I do not really require you to move... if you decide to stay where you are I will point new members in that direction to colonize... Nothing wrong with expanding the chain a bit ;)

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 14:14
Well... right or wrong I have started the process of moving closer to you guys.

I have chosen the island [66:56] This has to be pretty dang close to some of your cities right?

I mean I can see [64-51] from my island... I am in the island chain to the immediately to your southwest.

Island name is.. Kumios I will start by making a governors residence on the island so I can move my palace here.. this will all take a bit. but.. this is my choice and this is what I will stick with :D

smalltalk
29-04-2008, 15:42

Island name is.. Kumios I will start by making a governors residence on the island so I can move my palace here..[wavey]

quote:this will all take a bit. Not really. I think I can spare 600 wood. ;) Tell, when you have arrived.

quote:but.. this is my choice and this is what I will stick with :D
Told you already ingame. An inactive has been deleted on my crystal island. Maybe risk it to recall you ships and pray the spot will be still open when you can send them out again.

Matrix
29-04-2008, 16:12
I've been raiding two cities on my island already. :D That must have pissed them off, but I think I've got a decent defence against them: six phalanxes. I attacked with twelve swordman against twenty slingers and I lost three. Then I pillaged a town with no defense at all(!), while he is at at least the same level as I am, because he's got a second town on the same village, so he's probably around a little longer.

I think I'll stick to where I am. Fun game. :)

smalltalk
29-04-2008, 17:30

I've been raiding two cities on my island already. :D This might be of interest to you. Sulphur rehabilitation pact!

http://board.ikariam.org/thread.php?threadid=28062

The reasoning of cloudman (5 th post) seems quite good to me, although there are some quite effective anti-pillaging-tactics, especially this early in the game, where your warehouse can be so big that it will keep most of your resources safe. This will change overtime however, when buildings won't cost 1000, but 10.000 goods.

quote:Cloudman

Unlike the other luxuries, sulfur's value is determined by its owners. If sulfurites (people on sulfur islands) don't attack others, then they will never feel a need for troops, will never build troops, and sulfur's value will be low. The more you attack people, the more they will see a need for troops. The more you keep attacking them and wiping out their forces, the more sulfur they will need to defend themselves. And because you control sulfur, you should always have more troops than them.

It is therefore up to sulfurites to attack. Constantly. The more you attack, the more valuable sulfur will be in your area. Also, don't attack your fellow sulfurites; that's just wasting each other's forces. Sulfurites should focus their attacks on the other three islands. The more they are pounded from different directions, the more they will want sulfur.

Sulfurites in alliances shouldn't have sulfur on the market AT ALL! That should be saved for your fellow members. DO NOT settle for some piddly amount of gold. Do not settle for 1:3, 1:2, or even 1:1 trades. THEY should be paying YOU extra! Do a 1.5:1 or even 2:1 trade; 2 luxuries for 1 sulfur. They don't like that? Raid 'em! They don't want to trade 300 wine for 200 sulfur? Raid 'em, now they have 0 wine, and you kept your sulfur.

Sulfurites who have sulfur on the market should be STRONGLY encouraged to enter alliances, and thus remove it from the market. If they sell it cheap, buy it or take it from them. As I said, you shouldn't attack other sulfurites. Explain to them the strategy here. Ask them not to sell, tell them the benefits of joining an alliance, or at least following this idea. If all else fails, only then should you attack. Explain to them that if nobody sells sulfur, raiding will be that much easier for all sulfurites.

As I said, the value of sulfur is what YOU make it. If sulfur is worthless in your area, you have only yourself to blame.

I'm glad I got none of those warmongers around me right now. [:P]

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 18:25
Stadt Idioton
( Mistfit ) 5 Colonise (cancelled) 29.04.2008 20:34:34 29.04.2008 20:34:34

I think this means that they will be back in a couple of hours

smalltalk
29-04-2008, 18:45
City location: Gupheios[60:52]

Let's hope this works out. As of now, the place is still empty.

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 18:57
now I just hope I have not lost my gold and building materials...

smalltalk
29-04-2008, 19:06
Building material will be back. Gold, I don't know. Better look for crystal trades to make it fail safe.

CrossVain
29-04-2008, 20:34
Goodluck Mistfit, I hope you get on that island.
/Crosses fingers

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 20:36
14H 15min I will have arrived...

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 20:45
OK new question now that I will be on your island.. can I send materials from my capitol to the new place once it is set up?

I'd rather not lose the stuff

I do have 3 extra boats

or if that is not possible can I ship it to one of you and have you gift it back once I need it?

smalltalk
29-04-2008, 20:47
Yeah. See you tomorrow.

Did you get back the gold?

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 20:49
yeah.. I did so I am building on your island as we speak.

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 20:50
Edit: I am shipping a load of materials to you smalltalk

smalltalk
29-04-2008, 20:59
x-post

I'll keep your stuff for you.

Unless an overeager sulphurite much like Matrix shows up, forced by game mechanics, and pillages it. [:P] ;)

Mistfit
29-04-2008, 21:12
is there no way to ship gold?

btw.. where would you prefer messages? Here or on Ikariamail?

smalltalk
29-04-2008, 22:02

is there no way to ship gold?The gold will follow you in your stock.

There is no way to transfer gold to other members. Unless you are close and in trading distance. Then you offer like 1 wood for 10000 gold and your trade partner grabs it. If someone else grabs it, well, call yourself lucky... ;)

quote:btw.. where would you prefer messages? Here or on Ikariamail?
Here. In-game messages tend to vanish after time and are tedious. Plus, it's cozy here and Matrix will be able to eavesdrop.

CrossVain
29-04-2008, 23:01
Congrats, Mistfit.

Hey, Small, I was looking in troop overview, and noticed you had no defensive troops.
Do you need some sulfur or something?.

smalltalk
29-04-2008, 23:21
Hey, Small, I was looking in troop overview, and noticed you had no defensive troops.
Do you need some sulfur or something?.
That's actually deliberate.

Military costs upkeep. As long as nobody starts to repeatedly attack me, I'll spare the cost. I've got 2-3 ships in each town, so the attacker has to bring a fleet and block my harbor first. With my Lvl 2 trade ports, he will not pillage more than 20 min * 30 good/min = 600 goods + plus some gold.

(20 min is the pillaging time and 30 good/min is Lvl 2 trade port capacity.)

Having no military nets me more. That's exactly what cloudman was talking about in the sulphurite quote.

Mistfit
30-04-2008, 00:13
is it just me or does this tell me that my mission will end before it arrives?

I hope this does not mean it will sink [:P]

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f383/Mistfit/Other%20Stuff/Untitled.jpg

Mistfit
30-04-2008, 13:16
Well the colony has arrived.. I am building the basics for the time being and working my max amount on the wood pile. I will need to wait for my shipment to arrive from idioton to build the governors residence.

So... how do I go about dismantling idioton?

smalltalk
30-04-2008, 14:20
quote:Originally posted by MistfitI hope this does not mean it will sink [:P]It's a bug, not a feature. ;)

quote:So... how do I go about dismantling idioton?After your new governour's seat is up, you can move palace.

Dismantle all buildings in your old town, you'll get some resources back. Perhaps keep your port, I'm not sure if you can send stuff without a port.

After all actions connected with the town are done, for example all trade ships are back home, you can abandon colony in your town hall view.

Mistfit
30-04-2008, 22:03
God I hope no one attacks me.. I have been selling materials at a fairly cheap price as I figure it is easier to sell than to transport so I have a load of cash...

making the move of destruction of idioton as soon as the fleet returns...

Mistfit
01-05-2008, 04:41
Ok.. I am a one island guy again..

I am building up my city again..

What now.. it there a good primer you guys have seen on proper levels to bring each of your buildings up to? or what you need to build at what point? Should I start thinking of colonization of a local area or concentrate on building my capital? What to do for troops?

basically.. help :D

Mistfit
01-05-2008, 13:15
well.. I did not hear from anyone so I went out and colonized an island on my own.. I went for the marble island NE-NE-NW of my home island Sishaios[59:50]. It is close.. it is marble... and it is mine :)

smalltalk
01-05-2008, 21:46
quote:Originally posted by MistfitWhat now.. it there a good primer you guys have seen on proper levels to bring each of your buildings up to? That's so much a matter of playing style and of the risks you want to take. On ETA I played quite safe, with high wall and warehouse levels.

Here I tried to expand as fast as I could, focusing on town hall, museum, academy, tavern. The rest I throw in between, when I don't have enough resources to build the expensive stuff.

Build a hideout and have a few spies in your town. I try to have its level at around half of town level. But this is guesswork, I haven't seen any formula yet. If you're up to it, try to place a spy in my town on the crystal island and report what's the chance of detection.

quote: Should I start thinking of colonization of a local area or concentrate on building my capital? Build your third colony asap. As soon as possible to me means, when I need one or two days to gather the necessary resources.

Perhaps build a governer's seat first to eliminate corruption. Corruption will be raised over time, and a governers seat can decrease it.

quote:What to do for troops? You need sulphure - and they'll cost you like a bit of population.

Build them when your town population has hit town hall level, because you couldn't expand town hall fast enough. This way you can get at least a little bit out your stagnating population.

Two more minor things:

- check whether there is enough wine in your colony before you go to bed or leave for longer. If you run out of wine, people will leave your town.
- if you try to sell or buy stuff by permanent offers at the trading post, double check whether it really says buy/sell. The default is SELL. Which had me sell stuff I just bought.

PS: and if you want to sell marble for wine, hey, I'm your man. How about some haggling? :D

Mistfit
01-05-2008, 23:14
Update:

I am setting up my own drug cartel here..

Capital: MethLab1 60:52(Crystal island of course)
Size:3
Town Hall: Currently building to level 4
Wall: size 3 (going to have to wait a bit to build this)
Academy: Level 3
I have every building I can currently build at current research level (most at size 1).. I have 2 red flags and an open spot for a building that is available at Bureaucracy (Bank?)

1st colony: CrackHouse1 59:50(Set up on a Marble island)
Size: 2
Town Hall: Size 2
Walls: Level 1
Academy: Level 1
Trading port and Trading post both at size 1

Research (known techs):
Seafaring

* Deck Weapons
* Ship Maintenance
* Expansion
* Foreign Cultures
Economy

* Conservation
* Pulley
* Wealth
* Wine Press
Science

* Well Digging
* Paper
* Espionage

Military

* Dry-Dock
* Maps
* Professional Army

Navy:
8 Trading ships

Army:
1 Slinger [:P]

Plan of Action:
Build up both cities pop A.S.A.P until it is reasonable to think of a 3rd city

Build Governors Mansion in CrackHouse A.S.A.P.

Figure out 'what type of player I will be'

Mistfit
01-05-2008, 23:29
What kind of Marble/Wine deal did you have in mind?

Possibly you send to me now and I will keep sending it to you as I grow?

I do not need a tremendous amount of Marble at this stage..

Something like...

500 wine now...

I will send you 600 marble within 3 days?

I do not know if this is fair but..

Mistfit
02-05-2008, 16:03
Is there a way to move some ships from my capital to my colony?

Mistfit
02-05-2008, 16:46
never mind it seems that I can use ships to and from anywhere as long as I have movement points.

btw.. smalltalk.. my lonely spy has a 44% chance of success at small precioius

Mistfit
02-05-2008, 16:48
Methlab 1 02.05.2008 16:46 Unfortunately your trade fleet got away from Lolvile empty-handed and is now returning to Methlab 1.

what the hell does this mean? I was buying wine from this guy?

my gold is gone and my wine will not arrive?

Mistfit
03-05-2008, 15:44
What the hell is up with this? that is 2 times now that people have agreed to buy from me.. waited til the shipment was almost there and then decided to withdraw? he just wasted action points

smalltalk
04-05-2008, 15:03
quote:btw.. smalltalk.. my lonely spy has a 44% chance of success at small precioiusThanks. That's good. I'll get back to you, after I've got another spy. Maybe I'll do a number thread where stuff like this can be collected.

quote:Methlab 1 02.05.2008 16:46 Unfortunately your trade fleet got away from Lolvile empty-handed and is now returning to Methlab 1.

what the hell does this mean? I was buying wine from this guy?Somebody else grabbed it before were able to.

Only if you got a trade agreement with somebody you can be sure to get the stuff.

quote:What the hell is up with this? that is 2 times now that people have agreed to buy from me.. waited til the shipment was almost there and then decided to withdraw? he just wasted action pointsWhat do you mean with "they agreed". Did you see incoming trades at your port?

If so, well, I still don't have an explanation. ;)

Mistfit
04-05-2008, 15:21
someone else must have gotten his goods to him before I could. It still seems odd to me though.

1.) I see someone that is selling 900 wine @ 35 gpw
2.) I click on 'trade' and want 300 wine
3.) it takes the 10500 gold out of my treasury
4.) my ship heads out
5.) by the time my ship gets there someone else has bought up all of the wine. and I get the 'empty handed' message
6.) my ship returns

the problem is.. where the hell did my money go?

Mistfit
04-05-2008, 15:51
This is what I have.. where should I be heading? I turned off my research while I was building to expand to my second colony. but once I have built up my Gov Res I will be turning it back on.. what is more important?

Seafaring

* Deck Weapons
* Ship Maintenance
* Expansion
* Foreign Cultures
Economy

* Conservation
* Pulley
* Wealth
* Wine Press
Science

* Well Digging
* Paper
* Espionage
Military

* Dry-Dock
* Maps
* Professional Army

CrossVain
05-05-2008, 20:16
You should probably go into science and get invention (Allows building workshop) and ink (4% more research points)
or maybe a little further in economy like geometry (4% less building costs)

Mistfit
06-05-2008, 14:24
How many troops do I need? I will be playing defensively for the time being until I can grow to afford a good army. I have not been attacked as of yet (knock on wood) but I want to keep it that way. I do not have more than a size 1 port yet so I think that will deter some from attacking me.

I am building a Rax so I can build Phalanx.. I think they are decent for defense.. also should I have a war ship or 2 in each port? I have none

Mistfit
06-05-2008, 15:34
I figured it out.. I need to expand my trading post.. the current capacity is only 200..

Mistfit
06-05-2008, 23:03
@small - how many cities do you have?

CrossVain
07-05-2008, 22:46
Mistfit, if you are playing defensive, make sure you have your town wall the same level as the town hall, or higher.
As well, have some phalanx in each town (Probably one per town hall/wall level).
That way the phalanx get +30% bonus, cause they are on the defending side.
And, as long as the wall is same or higher level then your town hall you get 10% defense bonus per level of the wall instead of just 3% if it was under the level of the town hall

and always keep a few ships in each port I would recommend for sure

Mistfit
08-05-2008, 00:07
ah.. so I should likely build my walls first. I have only been attacked once. It was a guy from my own island so I messaged him and told him to knock it off and he did [:p]

One Phalanx per townhall/wall upgrade.. that is easy.. If I can get some dang sulfur.. I don't know what everyone is complaining about on the boards.. the cheapest I have found the stuff near me is 50g per [:O]

CrossVain
08-05-2008, 04:59
600 sulfur coming to ya ;}
And Mistfit if you have an embassy. you might as well join up to the clan if you plan to.... before we run our of diplomacy points

Mistfit
08-05-2008, 13:52
"before we run our of diplomacy points" - what does this mean?

Tubby Rower
08-05-2008, 17:29
@ mistfit.. I can send you some sulfur. I have a sulpher mine and then I refine it to convert the "phe" to "fu". I have an obligation to fulfill presently but I'll ship you some as soon as I can.

CrossVain
08-05-2008, 20:09

"before we run our of diplomacy points" - what does this mean?

The alliance needs 1 diplo point to accept each new member
I recently upgraded and got 8 points now so its not a rush I guess

Mistfit
08-05-2008, 20:30
I wouldn't worry about it Tubby.. I am a couple of days away from settling my own

Tubby Rower
09-05-2008, 03:15
Hey guys, I should be able to settle a new town tomorrow morning. What resource is the most valuable (wine, marble, or crystal)?

smalltalk
09-05-2008, 10:16
Marble, I think.

Mistfit
09-05-2008, 14:21
ditto, marble seems to be where its at

Mistfit
14-05-2008, 21:49
I sent 600 wood - and 300 of all others to Banzai.. so if you are going to send a welcoming package wait a bit til he can build a warehouse

Mistfit
21-05-2008, 13:34
Can someone please confirm whether or not the workshop improvements are now working in V2.3

Mistfit
21-05-2008, 15:53
What do I need to sign a military alliance with a guy? this should allow me to help him defend right?

I think I have one of these with TUbby but with the AO guy needing help I thought I would try.

failedreality
05-06-2008, 18:43
Is there a few pointers to help out a noob....

Here is what I have so far:
Academy lvl 3
Town Hall lvl 3
Trading post lvl 1
Warehouse lvl 1
Barracks lvl 1
Trading Port lvl 1

smalltalk
06-06-2008, 09:46
You need a shipyard and at least one ship in it, else you are inviting looters.

Build a tavern as soon you've researched the tech. This will help to let your town grow faster.

failedreality
09-06-2008, 23:29
So how do I find people to trade with.. no one is responding to the post I put up in the forums..
I'm pretty much stuck at this point until I get some crystal and stone.

Mistfit
10-06-2008, 14:22
The first line of trading comes from your Trading Post. For every second expansion you make of it it allows you to see trades available from other people.

Second (if not a close first) is to expand to the point to where you can colonize a second or third island. This comes from researching expansion and building up your palace to be able to colonize.

Mistfit
25-06-2008, 15:47
A new Server is supposed to be up and running tomorrow per small..

What do you all think of Reorganizing on the new server and trying to get everyone together?

Edit:

Note from the Big Board:

Tomorrow at noon (12 o'clock GMT+1) we are getting a brand new world

smalltalk
25-06-2008, 16:22
I'm interested. Unless I come out on a sulphur island. :D

smalltalk
25-06-2008, 16:25
quote:erm... 7 Am Eastern standard time? GMT -46 o'clock, I think.

failedreality
25-06-2008, 22:07
Here is a dumb question...
How do you find and message people in game?

smalltalk
26-06-2008, 00:17
Go to highscore, type in the name of the player and hit enter.

failedreality
26-06-2008, 05:18
thanks

BCLG100
28-06-2008, 03:14
This might sound stupid but what is the point in this game?

you cant kill people and only seem to be able to grow so whats the end result your looking for?

Mistfit
28-06-2008, 14:25
grow and get the best score.. it is just a basic time killer

BCLG100
28-06-2008, 15:01
Im struggling to find anywhere which will sell me blue crystal stuff, everyone seems to be in their own little click and nobody seems to want wines, anything i can do?

BCLG100
05-07-2008, 10:58
I opened up a colony on a neighbouring island to what i'm on now but my score seems to be dropping? i used to be like 50 or something and now im like 700...

Matrix
29-09-2008, 11:17
Does anyone still play this game?

BCLG100
04-10-2008, 15:48
I do actually, am GO for iota server.

I know banzai, mistfit and szmatyas do also.

Mistfit
04-10-2008, 16:56
yah.. I am playing on 2 servers..

BCLG100
13-05-2009, 00:35
Banzai hit one million a couple of months ago now iirc, i am also fast approaching it.

Mistfit still plays Ny i think, not sure who else from cdz plays anymore tbh!

mauer
13-05-2009, 03:13
What is Ikariam?

Shabbaman
13-05-2009, 10:26
It's a game for people with too much time on their hands.

socralynnek
13-05-2009, 11:04
It's a game for people with too much time on their hands.

One could argue whether any game is for people with too much time on their hands. Then games like Ikariam or Travian are for people with Really A Lot Of Too Much Time On Their Hands.

ProPain
13-05-2009, 11:23
One could argue whether any game is for people with too much time on their hands.

Same thing I thought when I read Shabba's post.

Shabbaman
13-05-2009, 20:23
I think that depends what your goal in your life is.

BCLG100
13-05-2009, 20:48
I dunno yeah you really have to log in daily but if you want it can be a two minute thing, i know during exams all i've been doing is shuttling wine around :)

ProPain
14-05-2009, 14:46
i know during exams all i've been doing is shuttling wine around :)

That's more of a non-exam time activity for me :D

Shabbaman
14-05-2009, 14:49
I dunno yeah you really have to log in daily but if you want it can be a two minute thing, i know during exams all i've been doing is shuttling wine around :)

Sounds like a date: get her drunk and then have your two minutes of fun. So Ikariam is actually about porn?

ProPain
14-05-2009, 15:00
Sounds like a date: get her drunk and then have your two minutes of fun.

If a date with you looks like that, how did you get your GF to sign that partnership?? :P