PDA

View Full Version : vs. Jack Merchant, part 1 **spoiler**

Taurendil
10-06-2003, 13:40
Medium pangea, emporer with 2 settlers for me!
i'm Egypt, Jack's Arabia

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/taurendil/20036112211_vs jack turn 1.jpg
12.26KB

Skyfish
11-06-2003, 09:19
And Jack only gets one settler ?

Taurendil
11-06-2003, 13:26
Exactly :D
It's a huge advantage, i know. I have no multiplayer experience however, and jack ofcourse has quite a lot. I guess he still feels pretty confident, as he is the one that suggested this arrangement.

Taurendil
11-06-2003, 17:09
This log is going to be pretty extensive, though i hope not too boring. I'm doing this because i want to find out if i am making any horrible early mistakes. So please, feel free to comment on anything i did, or should do.

1- Settle Thebes, move worker to 'work' the cow. Move my bonus settler on the hill for a better view, and discover another cow out of Thebes' reach. That's where i will be going for my second city. I start researching mysticism at 100%
3- Settler discovers another cow, looks like my 2nd city will be capital-class too.
5- Settle Memphis so both cows are in the 9, and it is next to a river. Memphis will build a warrior, then a worker. Thebes builds our first warrior, sending him south to explore.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/taurendil/2003611163821_vs jack turn 5.jpg
48.49KB

8- Thebes builds another warrior, send him west.
9- There is some desert to my west, featureing a wheaty flood plain and incense. Looks like an easy choice for my 3rd city? Pop a hut, get pottery
10- Memphis builds warrior, sent north. Switch to worker. I discover gems in the south.
11- Another warrior emerges in Thebes, will go northeast. Time to build a granary
13- A Spanish warrior triggers a hut close to my cities i was about to pop this turn [sad](see turn 5 pic). He apparently got barbs who slivered my warrior to 1 hp and are now ready to raid Memphis :(. I get alphabet and 10 gold from the spanish. It's all they have.
14- I'm not sure what the raiding barb did. I didn't lose any money, and the progress on the worker seems delayed by (only) 1 turn.
15- I figure out what the barb did last turn: Memphis is back to size 1. I just lost 2 turns trying to produce a worker. Switch to warrior. Pop a hut in the south, barbarians. It also reveals a central america-style landbridge. Hope my warrior survives.
16- Memphis builds the warrior, will help the western exploration. Switch to worker. The barbs in the south didn't attack me at all. I won't either, they are in the jungle. I just fortify and wait 'till i get room to move.
17- 2 or 3 barbs attacked me, i got out with 1 hp. The zulu discovered me from the south. I trade and get their techs: bronze working and warrior code.
18- Discover mysticism, set to writing at 70%, need 30% lux. Hope i'll be the first to get writing. The spanish have nothing to offer for mysticism and the zulu seem to have discovered it the exact same turn i did.
20- Memphis builds worker, set to granary. I'll go for a territory grab deluxe.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/taurendil/2003611165750_vs jack turn 20.JPG
283.05KB

I'm a little undecided on what territory to grab first. Do i settle near the wheat and incense first? or do i grab the grapes and ivory as fast as i can?

ProPain
11-06-2003, 22:21
Considering you can produce settlers pretty fast it worth taking the gamble and run for the grapes imo. You'll have the incense anyway. Also very interesting is the choke point south of thegems. When those AI units move away make sure you clog that choke point by moving your warrior to the tile south of the fish. That way you'll make sure to grab the gems also.

With the land you have and possibly 3 luxuries, you can have a great position.

Taurendil
18-06-2003, 01:39
I've been keeping fewer notes as the game is progressing. Most things seems too trivial to report.

21- Thebes builds granary, setting to 1st settler
22- I establish contact with Persia in the south. I give them alphabet for a measily 20 gold and they are still annoyed with me [???]
23- The spanish have -ofcourse- expanded in my direction. I will try to grab their ivory first thing.
24- Thebes builds first settler, many more to come.
27- Pop a hut in the west, get barbs. I'm starting to see a pattern here [lol]. An iroquois scout is nearby. I get The Wheel and 12 gold for masonry and alphabet.
28- My western warrior is no more :(. I'm not happy with my western exploration. There is a surprisingly large amount of 'empty' terrain there, and i don't know half of it. Thebes builds settler, sending him to the grapes. Allthough i am pretty sure i have quite some time before someone will get to those, i don't want to take the risk.
31- Persia and the Zulu have iron working. I don't see why i would need it yet, so i will wait until i discover writing to get it.
32- Found Heliopolis near the ivory. This city won't grow for the next 20 turns (pure territory grab). I'll build a warrior and then a worker.
33- Jack offers me Iron working, I decline.
35- Found Elephantine at the grapes.
36- Found alexandria (incense and wheaty flood plains). Memphis builds granary. A warrior will be next to combat unhappiness.
40- Pop a hut, get iron working :D. The spanish iron won't be in their territory anytime soon. Found Pi-Ramesses.
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/taurendil/200361813316_vs jack turn 40.JPG
102.31KB

Stick around for the update of the next 20 turns, where i will build even more cities, research the worlds most cutting edge technologies, and prepare for the invasion of Spain!

Cruise
18-06-2003, 08:54
And while you're grabbing luxuries, get those dyes as well.

5 luxuries that fast is an absolute great advantage!

ProPain
18-06-2003, 09:51
what dyes? I see the spices but no dyes. Help Me!!!

digger760
18-06-2003, 10:02
i see you like to build workers....what about having 1 city concerntrate on building spears

Cruise
18-06-2003, 10:03
oops, i meant spices [blush]

Skyfish
18-06-2003, 15:00
Very nice spoilers Taurendil, good stuff [thumbsup]
Keep up the good work.

Taurendil
18-06-2003, 15:32
quote:Originally posted by digger760

i see you like to build workers....what about having 1 city concerntrate on building spears

I realise i am a bit behind on defences at this point, but only because i think i can afford it. The southern road, leading to the Zulu, Persia and Jack is blocked by my warrior. I don't think any AI would be smart enough to attack him to get to my cities. The spanish in the east are very weak, and that's where i keep my few troups. The only movement i've seen in the west was 1 scout. Should anyone start settling there i'd need to get my defences up.