PDA

View Full Version : RTW2 - The Alexandria situation

Matrix
13-03-2008, 22:37
Just before Robi captured Alexandria from grahamiam, grahamiam gifted it to Darkness with whom Robi D has a peace treaty. The reason was that Darkness demanded that city in exchange for not declaring on grahamiam. What to do?

If the first two options receive a majority over 'Continue', the majority within these two should be executed.

barbu1977
13-03-2008, 23:04
Oups, I voted even if i'm not in the game.

From the explenations I've seen I find it all a fair move and I think it should continue.

Beam
13-03-2008, 23:11
I voted continue but I also feel there is some need of a rule here. Something intuitive, simple and fair. I also want to express that the rules for this game are in the first post of the Rule the World II thread (DM while declaring war) and that nothing has been ruled about gifting cities in this game. Beam out.

Edit: this thread changed to the Rule the World II thread.

BCLG100
13-03-2008, 23:13
I think it wasnt an expressly forbidden rule but i do think its against the gentlemans conduct in the way we play the game.

Beam
13-03-2008, 23:26
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

I think it wasnt an expressly forbidden rule but i do think its against the gentlemans conduct in the way we play the game.

Can you specify 'we'? Afaik there isn't a CDZ gentlemens conduct about this unless you can present us with a few well described cases I missed.

I hate rules and I've said that many times in the past but if one is needed it should be clearly described and only applied on future situations.

BCLG100
13-03-2008, 23:41
Well i can present a direct case at cfc in which the same happened to me and we rollbacked. That game involved cdz players as well.

I always like to think the jist is don't be a cock when playing the game, i like to think it sets us apart from cfc in that respect, whether you want to adhere to that or not is up to you. It's the same general thing of abiding by a peace treaty which here you would do but perhaps not at other places.

Beam
13-03-2008, 23:58

Well i can present a direct case at cfc in which the same happened to me and we rollbacked. That game involved cdz players as well.

I always like to think the jist is don't be a cock when playing the game, i like to think it sets us apart from cfc in that respect, whether you want to adhere to that or not is up to you. It's the same general thing of abiding by a peace treaty which here you would do but perhaps not at other places.

Again, who is 'we'? cfc cases aren't particulary relevant here btw unless they make a good point of course. [assw][dominance

Darkness
14-03-2008, 01:15
Why are we talking about reloading? [???]

Nothing that happened was against any rule stated for this game. So what's the problem then? [???]

akots
14-03-2008, 02:12
Voted to continue. This is a complex case IMO and not that straightforward but first, this is not cfc, so cases ruled there by some judge do not automatically apply here. Second, rolling back is not an option although we can ban this for the future if majority wishes.

IIRC, I've been to one case where all cities were gifted in a PBEM and finally accepted after a lot of doubt and that was within the spoiler here:
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2182a

However, that case was exceptional and does not clearly apply to Civ4.

BCLG100
14-03-2008, 12:15
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Again, who is 'we'? cfc cases aren't particulary relevant here btw unless they make a good point of course. [assw][dominance

We=the people here.

killercane
14-03-2008, 18:00
It is hard for me to tell who moved what, when and where. And I dont want my relations hampered with anyone by siding with one or the other.

Perhaps whoever keeps the city can make some worker or settler concession gift to the other to keep the peace.

As in the other thread, I will try to get the host situation fixed in 8 hours or so with the hardware and everything. Some consensus by then would be good so we can work from the correct save.

I would not have imagined the Egypt situation would have embroiled us all in a world war!

Matrix
14-03-2008, 18:22
Well, the "continue" option seems to win anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

oyzar
15-07-2008, 03:00
This is imo quite shady and should be rollbacked.. It should be stated in any given game that it is very hard to put all things that is possible in the game into the rules and as such people should refrain from doing things that would exploit the game engine. Gifting cities while in war to a person the person you are at war with is not as war with is definatly an exploit...

BCLG100
15-07-2008, 03:25
oyzar are you looking at dates before you post? :)

oyzar
15-07-2008, 03:57
Even though this is an old topic i still think it would be relevant to have consistent rules on thris through pitboss games... The majority vote for continue worries me quite a bit though...