PDA

View Full Version : RTW2 American diplo - Spoiler

Pages : [1] 2

Matrix
03-03-2008, 21:40
This thread of for NHJ, Nitro and myself. With this I call into being:

The Confederation of America

Together we shall plan an invasion on whoever deserves most to get slaughtered. Plus we can settle future quarrels on our own continent here.

My first suggestion is: apply the Monroe doctrine, effective immediately. ;)

NHJ
04-03-2008, 01:08
The Republic of Nicodemia votes in favour of formally instating a Monroe doctrine, but would like to add that the current form of this alliance is a confederation, not a federation :)

This factoid brought to you by the Nicodemian Department of Nitpicking.

Robboo
04-03-2008, 05:20
This should be interesting....

My suggestions when I was still alive was to hit Africa. And just go for simply elimination of a civ. Then pick another in Europe or Asia.

Matrix
04-03-2008, 13:55
quote:Originally posted by NHJ

The Republic of Nicodemia (...) would like to add that the current form of this alliance is a confederation, not a federation :)
It's "United Federations", so a union of federations, not a federation itself. One might call that a confederation, though.

Courtesy of the Stralish Ministry of Hairsplitting

NHJ
05-03-2008, 12:44
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

The Republic of Nicodemia (...) would like to add that the current form of this alliance is a confederation, not a federation :)
It's "United Federations", so a union of federations, not a federation itself. One might call that a confederation, though.

Courtesy of the Stralish Ministry of Hairsplitting

For a Union of Federations to be an acceptable term, however, the nations involved must be federations themselves, which is a large assumption. In fact, the Republic of Nicodemia is a centrally-governed state with little regional autonomy :)

This post brought to you jointly by the Nicodemian Department of Nitpicking and Citizens for Correct Language and Grammar in Government

Matrix
05-03-2008, 18:06
Perhaps we should fight over it. [mischief]

Oh well, I changed it. ;)

I wonder when Nitro is going to say hello here...

Matrix
05-03-2008, 18:12
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

My suggestions when I was still alive was to hit Africa. And just go for simply elimination of a civ. Then pick another in Europe or Asia.
Well, looking at IanDC's score I too think he deserves some serious spanking. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/spank.gif

digger760
06-03-2008, 11:28
This thread must be quite obvious to the rest of the world of your alliance. Did you consider keeping it a bit more secret?

Beorn
06-03-2008, 17:26
I don't think it makes it obvious, it could be that Matrix is trying to act as a super mediator among massively feuding neighbors ... ok well, it gives it away a little.

Matrix
06-03-2008, 17:31
It does, but that's gonna be obvious sooner or later anyway. Whether it matters in practice, especially considering tech trading is off, is another matter.

Matrix
06-03-2008, 23:51
NHJ, one piece of advice: build ships to meet others. The more you meet that have a tech you don't have, the cheaper it is to research it. (I thought I told you that when talking to you for real.)

The two of you are the lowest on score after Beam and I'd like to have some useful allies. [tongue]

NHJ
07-03-2008, 22:38

NHJ, one piece of advice: build ships to meet others. The more you meet that have a tech you don't have, the cheaper it is to research it. (I thought I told you that when talking to you for real.)

The two of you are the lowest on score after Beam and I'd like to have some useful allies. [tongue]

Yeah, I know, but only my two most recent cities are coastal, so I couldn't build any ships at all until recently. I'm working on correcting that :)

nitro1974
08-03-2008, 12:18
Well... here I am. Even though Semelaria formally has a constitution with a strong centralized character, the practice is that the nation functions more like a federation of cities.

Invading other countries is an interesting opportunity, it might be the only way the significantly raise the score of Semeleria, I fear. And to be honest, I prefer to start with invading the barbaric country of North-Canada...

Matrix
09-03-2008, 05:48
You need any help with that? http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/snicker.gif

nitro1974
09-03-2008, 12:00
Just keep some troops nearby your northern frontier...

nitro1974
11-03-2008, 22:57
I think that I can now 'clear Alaska' myself. Do we have friends abroad? I have friendly connections with many other civilizations, but hardly any contact... thus no friends. We, as confederates, have to team up with non-Americans. That's the best way to fight wars on non-American soil, instead of on American soil.

Matrix
12-03-2008, 01:46
Good point. I have contact with everyone now, but no friends yet. I'll make work of it. I consider myself the prime communication person, since I know most of the other players.

BCLG100 (China) asked me for a peace treaty. I've agreed with him on one till 1000 AD. I probably won't time to launch an assault on him before that time anyway, but there's a basis, and an assurance that we, or at least I, won't be attacked by him.

Besides, if you ask me our prime target should be IanDC (Mali) with his exorbitant score. The only problem with that is I refused open borders with socralynnek (Zulu) to prevent him sailing around the world. (I have a good chance to do that as first. ;)) So that's one ally we're missing.

Rome is Robi D. Nice guy, good potential ally. He's not that powerful and he'll be pleased to hear he's got an opportunity to expand as well. Darkness (Viking) is a very nice guy. Votes CDA! But he'll have little to gain from our warfare. I fear we have to stay prepared for him.

Or we could double Robi D and make Darkness attack Robi D in the back, so that Robi D won't expand towards Africa at all. [smirk]

Matrix
12-03-2008, 18:12
By the way, current situation:
Egypt vs. Rome & Mongolia. Killercane took grahamiam's double holy city, which is what explains the dramatic jumps in score.

India vs. China. They're quite evenly matched. That should be interesting.

nitro1974
12-03-2008, 21:38
I fear that it's almost impossible to stop Mali. My research is pretty fast (tech every 2 to 3 turns), but he is even faster and quite advanced... for anyone to have any chance, Mali should be stopped. That should also be in the interest of the Vikings.

But you're right. We have to persuade both Robi D. and Darkness to attack IanDC. That's the only way that it's attractive for Darkness. It's even more urgent: if we attack IanDC, we run the risk of Darkness attacking us (...me) in the back.

So... first we have to face the war that Rome is currently facing. Could we persuade IanDC to support Egypt and attack Rome, and then (with an innocent face) team up with Rome to attack IanDC? We should be careful, though, not to break any promises to IanDC in the process...

Matrix
12-03-2008, 22:09
Well, again, we can't invade anyone (decently) until we have galleons and grahamiam will be long gone by then. So we have nothing to put on the table except words.

It might be a good idea though to talk to Darkness to avoid invasion. I'll see if I can come up with some nice story, ok?

Concerning IanDC, what happens all too often is that no one dares to take out the #1. His allies would have to break with him, big wounds would have to mend. But right now it's not too late yet.

Spy reports came in today. His GNP is monsterous. [sad]

Added: PM proposal to Darkness
(In Dutch. Sorry to the poor soul that don't speak it.)
quote:Hoi, Darkness!

Nitro en ik hadden het even over de huidige politieke situatie, en die vinden wij zorgelijk.

Akots en BCLG100 zijn met elkaar in oorlog; ok, ze doen maar. Maar grahamiam is ook in vol gevecht met Robi D en killercane en daar zijn wij minder blij mee. De reden is IanDC. Die knul stijgt in score met gigantische sprongen en zijn GNP is monsterachtig, en als twee van zijn drie buren nu met elkaar in oorlog zijn heeft hij wel heel weinig te vrezen. Zo vroeg heb ik nog nooit een overwinning zien aankomen.

De reden dat ik jou aanspreek is omdat Nitro een invasie van jou vreest. Nogal logisch, want jij en Robi D zijn ongetwijfeld dikke maatjes en je moet toch wat met die berserks en je snelle bootjes.

Lijkt het jou wat om in plaats daarvan met ons te gaan samenwerken en een invasie voor te bereiden tegen IanDC?

Gr,
Matrix

Matrix
14-03-2008, 12:52
I sent an adapted message, because it seems Robi D and Darkness are at the brink of a war, and I want to prevent that.

Matrix
14-03-2008, 20:17
quote:Hi Matrix,

IanDC is inderdaad flink aan het weglopen in score. Ik ben het met je eens dat dat zeer zorgelijk is.

Echter, en ik denk dat je wel kan inzien waarom, ik ben absoluut niet van plan iets tegen hem te doen.
2 redenen:
1 - Het is voor mij nogal een logistiek gedoe (ik moet langs Robi D en die zal dat niet waarderen op dit moment).
2 - IanDC en ik gaan op dit moment redelijk goed met elkaar om, en gezien de situatie met Robi D op dit moment kan ik me niet veroorloven om een potentiele ally tegen Robi (als deze zo koppig door blijft zeiken en mij de oorlog verklaart om te krijgen waar hij recht op denkt te hebben) tegen me in het harnas te jagen.

Wellicht kun je Robi zo ver krijgen dat-ie zijn aggressie op IanDC botviert en Ynnek heeft ook een hoop te winnen in deze situatie, maar voor mij is dit op dit moment geen optie, sorry.

Gr,
Darkness

PS: vertel Nitro maar dat-ie niets te vrezen heeft van mij. Ik heb totaal geen ambities aan de overkant van de Atlantische oceaan. Ik zou natuurlijk zeer graag met m'n berserkers en m'n snelle bootjes spelen, maar ik kan nu beter even mijn volle aandacht bij Robi D houden.
I think we can be content about this. You certainly, Nitro. And he's right we should perhaps point our interest towards Robi D and Socralynnek. But I'll shut up now until I get a reply from one of you two. ;)

nitro1974
15-03-2008, 00:07
That helps a lot. The Vikings seem to belong to the 'good guys'. Robi D must be persuaded to turn south instead of north. And Socralynnek... well, we may wait a while before contacting him. Perhaps I'll drop some military in Scandinavia. I'll contact Darkness myself.

And ... apart from IanDC's good score, I have no problems with him. He seems peaceful when his neighbours are in flames.

Edit: <removed text about Rome>
Edit: I told Darkness that any of my forces present in Scandinavia can (one way or the other) be used in a war against Rome.

Matrix
25-03-2008, 19:19
Do you have that many forces in Scandinavia then? [???]

And IanDC's score and GNP is enough reason for me to make as much effort as possible to try and bring him down. I don't know about you, but I don't let someone win just because he's nice. [rolleyes]

nitro1974
27-03-2008, 20:40
Being nice is good reason to gain my sympathy. No, I don't have much forces in Scandinavia. It's just a symbolic support. But Rome might not know how many troops I have.

Robboo
28-03-2008, 01:00
Personally.. I go after who you think is your biggest threat to win.

nitro1974
30-03-2008, 12:02
I think either 'the emerging power in Asia' (Mongolia?) or IanDC will win. Matrix is 3rd in my opinion, but then we (especially Matrix) have to expand beyond the Americas. I think it would be in our interest to make sure the wars in Eurasia last as long as possible, while maintaining the Pax Americanum ourselves.

And honestly, I don't have the military to join any war with any effect. However, I am starting to strenghten my military.

NHJ
30-03-2008, 13:50
I have a decent military, I think. No Macemen anytime soon, however. Still working on constructing a navy.

Matrix
30-03-2008, 13:56
Why do you build up a military when you're still so far away from Astronomy? Or aren't you?

I suggest making sure your military doesn't cost you a penny until you can use it. And by then you'll have better units to build.

nitro1974
31-03-2008, 00:19
We have -sort of- been offered Japan by BCLG100. I cannot defend Japan, unfortunately. I suppose that goes as well for you. The supply lines are simply too long, as long as we haven't got astronomy.

NHJ
31-03-2008, 12:22

Why do you build up a military when you're still so far away from Astronomy? Or aren't you?

I suggest making sure your military doesn't cost you a penny until you can use it. And by then you'll have better units to build.

Some of my cities don't have much else they can build, and I like to have a bit of a standing army. I'm mostly building other stuff now though.

re: Japan: I could probably hold a sizeable portion of it, but getting there would be logistical hell.

NHJ
01-04-2008, 17:39
Well, I just finished Optics, and going to Astronomy directly would take 18 turns.I'm researching two other techs first though, and I'm in a Golden Age right now, but I'll probably have it about 30 turns from now, at latest.

Matrix
01-04-2008, 17:59
Ah, sweet. :) I'll try to have it by then as well.

What's your status on Astronomy, Nitro?

nitro1974
01-04-2008, 21:11
I was not trying to reach Astronomy. Should I do it know, I need machinery, optics and finally Astronomy. At my current research speed, I need 13 turns for Astronomy alone. But we can trade maps, the next turn! :-)

Matrix
01-04-2008, 22:09
Nice! I already did so with BCLG100, so you'll get a full view of the other continent. ;) So perhaps you could wait with trading maps with NHJ until we have done so.

NHJ
03-04-2008, 00:13
Trading maps would be extremely useful, since I don't know anything of the world besides North and South America so far [ponder]

Matrix
09-04-2008, 21:36
I'll have Astronomy in eight turns. We should consider the option that I gift a galleon or two to the both of you. That might speed up the invasion.

I'm still aiming on hitting IanDC, by the way. We probably won't be able to conquer Mali, but the main goal is to hurt him. If we leave him alone, like all the others do, he'll win for sure.

nitro1974
09-04-2008, 21:41
I'll have Astronomy in about 10 turns, so you don't need to gift me galleons. Although I only have one city that is able to produce ships with a fair rate on the east coast.

Matrix, you have to take the lead. In essence, Nicodemia and Semelaria are vassal states to Straland.

I still fear that attacking Mali only strenghtens Mongolia and will hardly have any (positive) effect on us.

Shall we now trade maps or not?

Matrix
10-04-2008, 00:12
quote:Originally posted by nitro1974

I still fear that attacking Mali only strenghtens Mongolia and will hardly have any (positive) effect on us.
That's true, but attacking killercane works the opposite way. And attacking anyone else won't help us much either. I mean, if we simply want more territory we might as well colonize Australia.

Killercane has Darkness, akots and BCLG100 next to him, while IanDC doesn't have any dangerous neighbour at all. So killercane might run into trouble in the future.

Shall we now trade maps or not?
I thought we did so already. But go ahead.

NHJ
10-04-2008, 20:38
21 turns to Astronomy for me. My Golden Age is over. I have two sizeable cities on the coast now that can produce ships by the time I can build Galleons.

nitro1974
11-04-2008, 00:41
8 turns for Astronomy. Forgot to trade maps, will do next turn.

Mali has chemistry in 4 turns... as his tech speed, we'll have Knights fighting Tanks, while his Subs destroy our Galleons. It really is a no-go, unless he is attacked from all sides.

But I don't want to be a whiner... so, whenever you blast the Horn of War, I'll follow you.

Matrix
11-04-2008, 02:26
Well, IanDC is already at war with killercane, though looking at the power graph there's not much action going on. (Probably a quarrel concerning grahamiam.) But killercane might see his chances when we're attacking IanDC.

Should I contact killercane and ask him whether a deal is possible? There's a possibility he'll tell on us, but I think that's unlikely.

NHJ
11-04-2008, 11:23

Well, IanDC is already at war with killercane, though looking at the power graph there's not much action going on. (Probably a quarrel concerning grahamiam.) But killercane might see his chances when we're attacking IanDC.

Should I contact killercane and ask him whether a deal is possible? There's a possibility he'll tell on us, but I think that's unlikely.

Yeah, this sounds good to me. He's at war with him, I doubt he'd tell on us.

Matrix
12-04-2008, 04:32
I logged in and saw he's got a cuirassier, so I was inclined to agree with Nitro.

Then I went to here and saw two messages that changed my mind.

From Matrix to killercane on 11-04-2008 13:05:32.
Hi, killercane!

Our American fingers are itching to spread some death and decay around on the world. IanDC does not have any dangerous enemy around him, which is why we'd like to hit him. However, we probably cannot do this alone.

Would you care to join us in a Mali sandwich?

Regards,
Matrix (on behalf of the whole of America)

From killercane to Matrix on 11-04-2008 22:09:01.
We are currently at war so sure! He attacked me a few turns ago. Do you need a situation report? I havent been paying enough attention to this game lately.

From Matrix to killercane on 12-04-2008 03:14:30.
Cool! We're a bit behind in tech, but I'm quite sure we'll catch him by surprise and hurt him quite a bit, since his coastal cities are rather undefended. But it's still gonna take at least ten turns before we, or at least I, can do anything. Hang on there... ;)

Regards,
Matri

From Robi D to Matrix on 11-04-2008 15:57:57.
Hi Matrix,

I can see your researching Astronomy (please don't panic your not alone i can see what everyone is researching thanks to my espionage investment)

Anyway you did express an interest in having a shot at Ian when you had the chance to sail across directy. Just want to know if your still interested?

All the best
Robi

From Matrix to Robi D on 12-04-2008 03:23:05.
Sounds like fun! But he's quite far ahead in techs, so I'm not gonna do it unless I can count on your assistance. [tongue] Sorry, but on our own I won't be able to hurt him much.

Regards,
Matrix

NHJ
12-04-2008, 23:26
Well, with two mainland allies we should probably be able to hurt IanDC a lot. However, our mainland allies will probably be able to get all the loot from it, which is something to consider. Ofcourse, we could sell any cities we capture to the highest bidder...[yeah]

NHJ
27-04-2008, 14:36
Update: I got Astronomy and my first Galleon will be ready next turn. I amassed my relatively low-tech army in one of my coastal cities, near where Matrix is storing his. About 12 units so far, swordsmen/axemen, plus a few catapults/trebuchets and the occasional Crossbowman, Pikeman and horseman.

What are your Galleons doing down my coast, anyway? The only thing I can think of is that you're hiding them from other players.

Matrix
27-04-2008, 19:45
I am. No worries, NHJ. ;) I want to stay away from IanDC for as far as possible until the invasion commences.

I encountered a work boat of socralynnek there. I deliberated with Nitro about this by phone and on his suggestion I destroyed it saying I expect him to have a close relation with IanDC and not wanting to show my invasion force, but inviting him to join our crusade at the same time. And guess what? He's wants to join! [yeah] He was actually looking for an opportunity, but feared he was too underdeveloped.

So now it's six against one. :D (Us three, Robi D, killercane and socralynnek against IanDC.)

NHJ
27-04-2008, 21:00

I am. No worries, NHJ. ;) I want to stay away from IanDC for as far as possible until the invasion commences.

Ah, alright. I wasn't worried since they were empty, I just saw no reason why they were there. By the way, RobiD also has a Scout running around in my lands and has seen both our stacks, but yeah, he's on our side.

We may be out-teched, but six against one should prove to be fun :D

Matrix
28-04-2008, 02:31
They are not empty; you just cannot see what's inside...

NHJ
28-04-2008, 13:18

They are not empty; you just cannot see what's inside...

Ah [cool]

Matrix
29-04-2008, 15:37
IanDC has got frigates. [sad] Watch out for them. I'm pretty sure it's safe for Nitro to attack Morocco from the northwest. NHJ, you need to go as far away from IanDC's cities as possible before you attack. It's also better to have one extra empty galleon, because I believe that's always the one that defends when a stack is being attacked.

I'm building frigates as we speak.

nitro1974
29-04-2008, 16:23
Actually, I'm withdrawing my forces from the North-Atlantic, so I can upgrade my horse archers. I was in no position to do any damage...

Edit: I just saw 3(!) frigates around the coast of Morocco, so I'm not unlucky to have withdrawn my galleon.

Matrix
30-04-2008, 01:34
Ai. He probably upgraded a few caravels. That's gonna make the mission rather difficult. Apparently I destroyed Djenne just in time!

NHJ
30-04-2008, 14:19
Hmm. I'm not able to take on Frigates I'm afraid, so I'll have to go around somehow. Maybe I can land troops in a neighboring country and attack from there?

Anyway, I have about 20 units ready, two Galleons now and three more in production. My fleet should be ready soon.

Matrix
30-04-2008, 16:52
If you have Open Borders with socralynnek you could attack from there. But sure to communicate about that, because soc. is planning to attack IanDC as well. It would be best if he did so when or after you attack. Perhaps you can join forces. ;)

nitro1974
04-05-2008, 12:43
I'm not sure what to do from North America. Ideas? I have four galleons, in 6 turns I'll have Chemistry and can build frigates. (the fastest would be 4 turns, but I'm upgrading my troops). So any fast attack would be by unprotected galleons. Thus, I'm not in favour of sneak attacking IanDC in North Africa directly. Options are:
- gift my attack troops to Matrix - about 6 turns to reach Matrix' forces in South America;
- join forces with Nicodemus and attack from Zululand (together with Zululand) - about 10-15 turns before attack;
- build up a stack of forces in Spain (more defensive for Robi D than offensive) - about 5 turns;
- put troops on land in Europe and attack Egypt in the Middle east - about 10 turns;
- sneack attack IanDC on the west coast of North Africa - about 5 turns;
- do nothing and wait until I have stronger military.

IanDC has musketeers (by the time I reach North Africa, probably riflemen), curassiers and frigates. I have macemen, knights (and some other stuff) and only galleons. Please... your opinions.

NHJ
04-05-2008, 13:55

IanDC has musketeers (by the time I reach North Africa, probably riflemen), curassiers and frigates. I have macemen, knights (and some other stuff) and only galleons. Please... your opinions.

This is why I probably won't be able to attack anything on my own, as I'm still using Swordsmen and Axemen as my main attack force. I'll soon have Knights and Macemen though.

Anyway, I noticed that I can reach IanCD's land, and disembark troops in a single turn from a square of my coast, so I might do that, and perhaps run around in his hills, pillaging stuff. I would land on a Gems mine.

But it's probably more effective for me to land troops in Zululand and help push from there. I'll have to talk to socralynnek about that.

Matrix
04-05-2008, 15:22
I have a better option, Nitro: I gift you two frigates and you can defend your stack with that. One will be done next turn in Genover (Cuba), the other one in four turns in Deffèlie (Colombia). That one can go en route and meet you in the Atlantic. Will that do?

NHJ, I suggest to either deploy your troops in Zululand and attack from there, or do nothing and develop. IanDC will soon have riflemen. It will cost you a huge stack of units to kill just one riflemen. Alternatively though, you could gift me the units and I can upgrade them. But that will cost me (or us) a number of turns on research which I find too most of a waste. I'm not that far behind on IanDC, so if I can keep up I can do a lot more damage. Though once I have Rifling I can upgrade them to riflemen. :) (Riflemen with 'city attack'-promotions... :D)

nitro1974
04-05-2008, 16:21
Yes, Matrix, your option sounds good. With two frigates, I am reasonably well defended. Just send them to Florida and gift them to me there. I will keep you informed on when I will strike where.

Edit: it implies that I will attack from the ocean. Nicodemus: I think it is much better if you develop. Don't build any military, just build city improvements and upgrade your land. Right now, you will only be cannon meat for IanDC. That would be a waste of resources. I don't think that anyone will attack you: South America is too isolated, and you're protected implicitly by Matrix.

NHJ
05-05-2008, 14:14
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I'm still shipping a small attack force over to Zululand though, cannonfodder is useful too :D

Matrix, I'll gift you the most useful units so you can upgrade them to Rifleman.

Matrix
05-05-2008, 15:48
Thanks. :)

I just destroyed Awdaghost! :D Wasn't that the city you were aiming on, NHJ? [tongue]
IanDC also just offered me peace, but I refused obviously. I feel so bad! [evil]

NHJ
05-05-2008, 18:20
I think that was the city, yeah :D

Anyway, I put some troops at our border that I'll gift you next turn. It's a bunch (8 or so) Axe- and Swordsmen, most with the first City Raider upgrade, but there's one with two Medic upgrades there and a few others.

Matrix
10-05-2008, 12:54
Got 'em. Thanks! :)

You really need to go out sailing and meet all the others. Shabbaman doesn't have a coastal city anymore, so you might also drop a scout in Asia. Then, if you have cottages around your cities and libraries in all of them and you research only the techs all the others have, you'll be surprised how quickly you can catch up!

NHJ
10-05-2008, 16:34

Got 'em. Thanks! :)

You really need to go out sailing and meet all the others. Shabbaman doesn't have a coastal city anymore, so you might also drop a scout in Asia. Then, if you have cottages around your cities and libraries in all of them and you research only the techs all the others have, you'll be surprised how quickly you can catch up!

Oh, I'm building cottages in several places, don't worry. And I think I've met almost everyone, most of them had sent a boat over to America at some point.

I'm going to drop off some troops in Zululand, and then I'll send a few of the Galleons exploring though.

nitro1974
11-05-2008, 12:04
I will attack with 5 frigates and 5 galleons. IanDC has cavalry and will soon attack the capital of Robi D (I think) with 6 frigates and 4 galleons. I need to do a little upgrading, so I leave in about 3 turns, and reach Africa in about 8 turns. Next turn, I'll have a more accurate estimate, but you can start planning if you want to launch another attack simultaneously...

NHJ
11-05-2008, 13:53
My troops (15 various largely-obsolete pieces of cannonfodder) are landing in Zululand in 3 turns, then they will be at the border with IanDC about two or three turns later. I'll wait for you if I can.

Matrix
11-05-2008, 18:15
I've got Rifling next turn. Then I'll upgrade a.s.a.p. and launch another attack. That will probably around the same time as you land on Africa, Nitro. :) So let's coordinate this as soon as you have more info!

NHJ
12-05-2008, 20:57
Hey Nitro, shall we issue a joint declaration of war against IanDC in the main thread?

nitro1974
14-05-2008, 00:12
NO. DEFINATELY NOT!

I need the element of surprise, otherwise any attack from open ocean is pointless...

NHJ
14-05-2008, 11:24
I don't mean now, I mean when we're going to attack [crazyeye]

nitro1974
15-05-2008, 00:09
Ah...pfff... yes... well... you scared me...

Yes, joint declaration is nice...

NHJ
15-05-2008, 03:13
My troops are in position, I'll declare war and attack whenever you're ready to do the same.

nitro1974
15-05-2008, 21:57
I will notify by PM where, when, who and how I will attack.

For the record: I have borrowed from Matrix 769 gold pieces, and from Nicodemus 598 gold pieces. After next turn, I will start to repay by debt. I currently earn about 500 gold pieces per turn.

nitro1974
18-05-2008, 12:46
Matrix: 179 to repay; Nicodemus: 598 to repay...

Robboo
18-05-2008, 16:47
Hey guys...question for you. With the two biggest armies facing each other. Do you think you can use that as an opportunity to hit the winner while they are distracted. You should be just about finished with this fight with Ian. maybe not eliminating him but he will be hurt badly. IF you can get the same group to help hit the winner of that other war you could perhaps hurt them enough for one of you to sneak into a space victory down the road.

Matrix
18-05-2008, 18:01
Well, let those two biggest armies cancel each other out. The biggest threat for gaining victory happens to be Darkness now. He has made huge leaps ahead in development. Besides that IanDC is hurt, but he's still #3 while I'm #2. I'm sure he'll recuperate quite fast if we leave him alone.

nitro1974
18-05-2008, 21:01
The biggest weakness of IanDC is his number of cities. Matrix has destroyed some, but IanDC is still advancing fast in research. Looking back, I think it might have been a mistake of IanDC to give Grahamian his cities back. I think we need to destroy two of three more cities, to eliminate IanDC effectively. I hope to attack IanDC by surprise. If he realises that I am attacking, all he needs to do is put some additional troops in his cities. My troops are so weak compared to his (knight+grenadiers versus cavalry and riflemen).

The two big armies in Asia (I was scared to read that about 150 cavalry and riflemen are involved) might cancel each other out. If they do not, one of them might end up as the big winner. Their score is still relatively low - but I have hardly any knowledge about Asia. If the winner in Asia emerges as a potentially allround winner, then it should firstly be the concern of Darkness and (still) IanDC. Our gesture could be to sign a peace treaty with IanDC if he plans to attack Asia.

Darkness is not strong, militarily speaking, so he will have to pay attention to that side of the game. I don't like to go to war with Darkness, because that makes me in North-America extremely vulnurable to attacks from the Atlantic. I prefer to provoke Darkness somehow into an Asian war, and still remain passive ourselves...

PS: Matrix 179 to repay; Nicodemus 89 to repay. And I am deactivating my war economy, to develop for a while.

NHJ
23-05-2008, 02:06
Hey nitro, you're attacking IanDC next turn, right? Both me and socralynnek are joining you.

nitro1974
23-05-2008, 18:15
Sorry guys... it's a no go. Please remind that it takes 6 turns from upgrading my troops to attacking in Africa. IanDC has strongly upgraded his defenses in the mean time. It was:
Nitro - 2 trebuchets; 4 grenadiers and 9 knights (no amfibious upgrades)
versus
IanDC - 4 riflemen; 6 cavalry.

Matrix, interested in upgraded those troops? In that case, I will send them to Suriname.

NHJ
23-05-2008, 19:22
Oh well, it's not like my troops can do much there. Maybe Matrix wants them, or socralynnek.

Matrix
23-05-2008, 19:48
[sigh] Ok, Nitro. I was actually on my way, but attacking on my own doesn't really have any use.

You can drop the units in Suriname, Nitro.

Matrix
23-05-2008, 20:17
quote:Hi

Would you be interested in a peace deal at this point, I don't think I'm a serious threat in the grand scheme of things any more and it's just costing you resources to pursue the war. I have a lot of troops & not many places to defend so it's going to be costly for very little practical gain.

IanDC
quote:Hi, IanDC!

We both have got quite a lot of troops, and indeed you're not so much of a threat anymore. Darkness is though. He has developed so fast it's scary. So I'm willing to discuss peace, but only if you're up for another challenge, cos it would be a shame if our big stacks would not be used.

Kind regards,
Matrix
What do you think?

nitro1974
23-05-2008, 23:45
quote:I'm willing to agree a non aggression deal if you want & peace with Matrix, I can't see that I'm really a threat in the grand scheme of things any more with Akots star rising in the East & Darkness in the North.
Your appearance that far south was a surprise , my fleet is up north as I was expecting you from the NW plus Rob has a giant fleet I have to watch too :)

I would like to team up with IanDC to tackle Darkness and Akots... let's sign the deal!

digger760
24-05-2008, 01:55
[rotfl]
you guys are just low quality mercenaries for hire.

Matrix
24-05-2008, 02:47
Thanks for the insights, digger, but I'm with Nitro here. We're switching from a strong opponent with low chance of victory to a weak(er) opponent who has a high chance to win the game.

nitro1974
24-05-2008, 11:57
I have accepted IanDC's offer to a non-aggression pact. Well... how to continue? Do I still send my troops to you, Matrix? I'm fine with that, but upgrading costs you money. I will build as much ships as I can, if we are going to war with Darkness sometime in the future.

Still, I prefer a fight between Darkness and Akots...

Matrix
24-05-2008, 14:58
Well, if you can tell me a way how to make that happen, I'm all ears.

You can still send me the troops if you like. It's gonna take a few turns to upgrade them though.

NHJ
25-05-2008, 13:54
I'm moving my stack of badly obsolete units towards Vikingland, even though by the time they arrive he probably has Infantry. Oh well, the alternatives are spending a fortune to upgrade them to slightly less obsolete units, or disbanding the stack altogether [lol]

nitro1974
25-05-2008, 14:17

I'm moving my stack of badly obsolete units towards Vikingland,

Strong Warriors, or high-tech Archers?
[tvs]
They might still do quite some damage!

Make sure that keeping those troops on foreign ground is not too expensive. Perhaps you can also use them to spy in Eurasia, as no one will consider them a threat.

NHJ
25-05-2008, 16:32

I'm moving my stack of badly obsolete units towards Vikingland,

Strong Warriors, or high-tech Archers?
[tvs]
They might still do quite some damage!

Make sure that keeping those troops on foreign ground is not too expensive. Perhaps you can also use them to spy in Eurasia, as no one will consider them a threat.

Axemen, Swordsmen, Crossbowmen, a few Macemen and the local commander, a Knight :D

My economy is doing fine, otherwise, yeah it's best to disband it. I'll have them run around collecting information.

Matrix
25-05-2008, 20:58
Ok, small diplo update.

I've agreed with IanDC that I won't attack him, but I officially remain at war with him, because we kinda agreed with Robi D to attack IanDC. So IanDC is probably going beat the living daylights out of Robi D. Meanwhile I'll have Military Tradition so I can upgrade all Nitro's knights - thank you - to Cavalry. I've got nine galleons in total now and I'll try to build a couple more, so that I can do Darkness as much damage as possible in one fit.

I was thinking about keeping his British city when the time comes. What do you think?

NHJ
26-05-2008, 13:13

I was thinking about keeping his British city when the time comes. What do you think?

Sure, why not. If you raze anything like you did with Ian, maybe I'll plop down a Settler :)

nitro1974
26-05-2008, 20:57
I think that Robi D's Madrid will be conquered by IanDC next turn. With Darkness, I have a gentlemen's agreement of non-agression. In all fairness, I have to Darkness ahead warning if I will attack him.

Might it be a strategy, to conquer Britain and use it as a forward stronghold to launch our attacks on Europe?

NHJ
29-05-2008, 13:22
Not only did IanDC raze RobiD's Madrid-equivalent, he's now threatening ~Bordeaux as well, which is defended only by two Musketmen and a Longbowman. I have a Galleon on site, and I'm entering Robi D's territory from the east (through Egypt) as well, to get to Darkness. If Robi D has any troops left, I haven't seen them yet.

nitro1974
30-05-2008, 01:05
Matrix... you have made a giant jump in power. How did that happen?!? :-) Anyway, are you planning some action with your troops soon?

Edit: you do know that Darkness is placing infrantry in his coastal cities?!?

NHJ
01-06-2008, 12:21
My Galleon is making it's way north, and currently it noticed that Darkness' city in Ireland is defended by a single Longbowmen.

nitro1974
01-06-2008, 12:28
Well... it's a matter of time before Ireland sees its first infantry. How do you tackle infantry-defended cities? Matrix... are you still optimistic? Talk to us...

NHJ
01-06-2008, 12:47
And now I've got a PM from Darkness inquiring about all those American ships in his waters. I think he's on to us...

Also, his northernmost city in Scotland is also defended by a single Longbowman.

And in other news, IanDC took ~Bordeaux and still has a sizeable stack left.

Matrix
01-06-2008, 13:05

Well... it's a matter of time before Ireland sees its first infantry. How do you tackle infantry-defended cities? Matrix... are you still optimistic? Talk to us...
Numbers. I've got 33 units in the ships. And if you look at the powergraph you can see he's still very weak. Technology also detemines the height of your line on the graph, so that means he simply has very few units. I can take out a few intantries. As long as I can take out his holy city I'll be happy. :)

And now I've got a PM from Darkness inquiring about all those American ships in his waters. I think he's on to us...
Yea, why did you have to do that? I preferred to have come unnoticed. But it doesn't matter much since I'm gonna declare war on him this turn.

nitro1974
01-06-2008, 14:42

Yea, why did you have to do that? I preferred to have come unnoticed. But it doesn't matter much since I'm gonna declare war on him this turn.

Actually, I also had some (innocent) ships, mainly because I was bored and did not expect you (Matrix) to go into attack soon. Anyway, this was the replay I gave Darkness:

quote:PM sent by Nitro to Darkness

Hej,

Over mijn Amerikaanse medebroeders kan ik weinig zeggen. Ik heb een frigate rondvaren bij Ierland, en een caravel ergens bij Noorwegen. Het zijn geen schepen die troepen kunnen verplaatsen, dus ik nam aan dat je daar niet nerveus van zou worden.

Maar nu je het er toch over hebt... misschien is het goed om ons niet-agressiepact op te zeggen. Langzamerhand begeeft het spel zich naar de eindfase, en dan wil ik m'n handen vrijhouden. We hadden een gentleman's agreement, dus ik zal in ieder geval de komende -zeg- 20 beurten geen vijandige handelingen naar jou toe uitvoeren.

Groeten,
Nitro

Matrix
01-06-2008, 14:53
quote:PM sent by Matrix to Darkness

Hoi!

Waarom er Indiaanse en/of Incanese schepen zich in Vikingwateren begeven weet ik niet en daar draag ik ook geen verantwoordelijkheid voor. Ik draag wel verantwoordelijkheid voor de Azteekse invasiemacht die net jouw territorium is binnengevaren.

Sorry dat je hiermee moet verrassen, want je bent een respectabele speler, maar dit is de enige manier voor mij om jou nog te kunnen weerhouden van de overwinning. De mate waarin jij je de laatste tijd hebt ontwikkeld is gewoon eng.

Groeten,
Maarten

NHJ
01-06-2008, 17:39
Mijn stack met hilarisch achterhaalde units staat inmiddels ergens in oost-Europa, ik zat er over te denken om de heuvels bij West-Moscow binnen te trekken en te kijken hoeveel mijnen ik daar kan pillagen voor ik er uit geschopt wordt. Dan PM ik Darkness ook wel terug met een oorlogsverklaring, zodra de volgende beurt begint.

Oh ja, en is die Privateer bij Nieuw-Zeeland van jullie toevallig?

nitro1974
01-06-2008, 18:21
Privateer?
ik ben onschuldig (see bottom for translation)

Matrix
01-06-2008, 18:42

Oh ja, en is die Privateer bij Nieuw-Zeeland van jullie toevallig?[wavey]

NHJ
01-06-2008, 21:11

Oh ja, en is die Privateer bij Nieuw-Zeeland van jullie toevallig?[wavey]

Okee, dan is het goed :)

Matrix
01-06-2008, 21:36
By the way, I didn't want to translate the PM to Darkness to English (undoubtly just like Nitro), but let's keep the discussions in English, because others will like to read along. ;)

Pastorius
01-06-2008, 21:51
hm. You told him you are sorry to invade him?

Matrix
01-06-2008, 22:44
"Sorry dat je hiermee moet verrassen, want je bent een respectabele speler, maar dit is de enige manier voor mij om jou nog te kunnen weerhouden van de overwinning. De mate waarin jij je de laatste tijd hebt ontwikkeld is gewoon eng."
=
"Sorry for the surprise, cos you're a respectable player, but this is the only way to avoid your victory. The level your recent development is just scary."

Pastorius
01-06-2008, 22:56
[morepics]

Matrix
01-06-2008, 23:06
1: There's a smily for that.
2: Check out my spoiler. [tongue] (Which I'll update in a minute...)

nitro1974
01-06-2008, 23:06
Well, I am surely interested in the pics of Matrix's battle...

Matrix
02-06-2008, 23:24
I guess it can't hurt to show this.
The list on the left is what's in Bronze God. Note that I've got enough frigates to bombard Bronze God to 0% defense in one turn.

http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/RTW225.jpg

digger760
03-06-2008, 13:02
What do you loose in attack modifiers from attacking from sea?
Do you have any units with an Amphibious bonus?

Matrix
03-06-2008, 14:48
I couldn't attack from sea, because this was just as far as my galleons could reach. The turn before I declared war I was just out of Darkness' sight, so I couldn't have planned it better.

Now Bronze God is loaded with infantries, so I moved them back into the ships :( and went towards the Eastern sea. From there I can attack four cities, so I can destroy the one he defends worst. [evil]

NHJ
03-06-2008, 17:54
Where did you hide the Galleons, in Robi D's city?

Matrix
04-06-2008, 01:13
After I upgraded your and Nitro's units I already had a few galleons, Nitro gave me some and I build another two. That's why I could head up towards Darkness so soon. I didn't hide them anywhere, I was just three tiles south of Darkness' border the turn before I attacked.

Bronze God is destroyed! :D He moved most of his troops there to other cities, so I simply turned with my galleons around.

NHJ
04-06-2008, 03:28
Oh right, I forgot your Galleons have +1 movement.

And are you just trying to kill all competing all other holy cities at this point? [crazyeye]

nitro1974
04-06-2008, 22:22
You know... if you target the Jewish holy city, all hell breaks loose!

Matrix
05-06-2008, 00:31
Roger. ;)

NHJ
10-06-2008, 23:21
I'm exploring India's coast at the moment with a Caravel, and the war definitely claimed its toll. Many coastal cities are defended with just a single warrior. Not that we should act on this, but it's telling.

Matrix
11-06-2008, 01:16
Well, that's how many people do it in multiplayer: only defend those cities worth defending.

But it does make it kinda tempting to load a few units in a galleon and head off. :D

mauer
11-06-2008, 02:02
What kind of retaliation, near or distant, do you think would come from a sneak attack on akots?

nitro1974
12-06-2008, 21:45
Retaliation from akots? Well... he's too far away from Matrix, with too many rivals too nearby. So apart from a nuke or two in the far future, I would risk it if I were Matrix.

Currently, akots is laying siege on the Chinese capital. The capital is still safe, but the number of troops on both sides impressive:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/China.gif

Matrix
13-06-2008, 01:03
I don't like the idea of a sneak attack against akots. I prefer to stay befriend with at least one of my three opponents and perhaps try to ignite a war between them in the future. Besides that, akots is least developed of us four. As long as he's in war with BCLG100 we have nothing to worry about. ;)

And it seems this conflict will not resolve soon. That's 14 cavalry and 23 riflemen against 48 grenadiers. Akots doesn't even have enough units if he'd win every single battle. And grenadiers have 50% against riflemen, so he'll undoubtly lose quite a couple. But BCLG100 can't fight off akots as well, cos then it would be grenadiers against cavalry. They're in a war of attrition and that's always very costly for both sides. BCLG100's terrain is ruined and akots' unit maintenance must be huge! [eek]

Smart way of spying, by the way, Nitro! [goodjob]

nitro1974
14-06-2008, 17:47
Well... the conflict between China and India has been decided. It's a little fragmented informatin I have, but it appears that the whole of South-East Asia has been conquered by India. The last stronghold of China is its capital, but the cities behind the capital a deserted. So China also has no reserves left. As soon as India's forces regroup near the capital, it's a matter of time before China is whipped off the charts.

True, it might last another 10 to 20 turns, but the outcome is inevitable: akots is on the rise!

NHJ
16-06-2008, 23:13

Well... the conflict between China and India has been decided. It's a little fragmented informatin I have, but it appears that the whole of South-East Asia has been conquered by India. The last stronghold of China is its capital, but the cities behind the capital a deserted. So China also has no reserves left. As soon as India's forces regroup near the capital, it's a matter of time before China is whipped off the charts.

True, it might last another 10 to 20 turns, but the outcome is inevitable: akots is on the rise!

Yeah, I finally got my caravel over to China, only to see its borders move away from me all the time :p

He has five or six cities left, two of which are in Japan.

edit: your workers are coming, Matrix

NHJ
25-06-2008, 16:16
All your workers have returned now, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, I see you've built your colony in ~Indonesia.

Matrix
25-06-2008, 20:31
Indeed. I'll take the Philipines as well. Currently they earn more just by their trade routes than they cost for maintenance. [tongue] (But other cities their maintenance rise as well, of course...)

Anyway, thanks for the workers. :)

nitro1974
25-06-2008, 21:03
Have you also noticed that Darkness/Robi D is building infantry with the 'amphibious upgrade'? That indicates that we have to prepare for an invasion, doesn't it?

NHJ
26-06-2008, 00:37

Have you also noticed that Darkness/Robi D is building infantry with the 'amphibious upgrade'? That indicates that we have to prepare for an invasion, doesn't it?

I'm already building a steady supply of Riflemen to replace my Axemen :D

Matrix
26-06-2008, 01:01

Good catch, Nitro! I suppose we do have to prepare for an invasion, or try to prevent one with a sea force.

I'm also trying to convince akots and IanDC to attack Darkness. I think I might pull it off if we're gonna do it together.

killercane
26-06-2008, 01:25
Do you really think you can convince Akots to attack someone across the continent when he is just out of a long drawn out war?

nitro1974
26-06-2008, 21:46
After current turn, I start building infantry. Strategically thinking, we have to try to influence the place of invasion. Of the Americas, only Matrix has a real chance of victory. That implies that the invasion should occur in Nicodemia or Semelaria, but not in Straland. What I propose is:
1. to leave the North-American west coast relatively weak protected (make it attractive);
2. to have a strong fleet present to protect the Carabian (make it unattractive);
3. to have land forces of Nicodemus protect Matrix' cities against invasion (not sure, as it is expensive...);
4. that I keep a significant force out-of-sight (near the Arctic) to retaliate against any invasion in North America.

Any thoughts on this?

And yes, I assume that everyone realizes that Darkness will win the space race if nothing warlike happens.

NHJ
26-06-2008, 23:46
What would Darkness gain by invading you or me instead of Matrix? All that means is that we get to bear the brunt of the invasion force, but we are not a threat. Matrix can send units our way to help defeat Darkness' invasion force there. This means that Matrix' economy will remain intact, since none of his cities are attacked, none of his cottages pillaged, his production capacity is not harmed. It will not accomplish what any invader wants, namely to knock Matrix down a few places on the scoreboard.

Furthermore, the American west coast is pretty hard to reach since it's so far away from any other country save maybe India. It's already an annoyance for me to get ships from my east to my west coast without going through Matrix' Panama Canal.

But leaving my coasts lightly defended will not be a problem :D It's not like I'm not building more units fairly quickly (I;m in my second Golden Age), but there's no way I can hold off a modern invasion force by myself.

nitro1974
26-06-2008, 23:55
West coast? Oops, typical mistake. I mean east coast. It is true that Darkness has little to gain by attacking me, and Matrix surely has nothing to lose that way. He should attack Matrix. But we can tempt him. If he's smart, he doesn't take the bait.

Matrix
27-06-2008, 02:53
He's smart. He'll only attack you if he thinks that'll help him get to me. He might try to do so by attacking in Florida. Further up north will only leave his invasion force too vulnerable. Besides, he upgraded the units to amphibious for a reason.
Or...did he? Weren't those formerly berserks? [rolleyes]

Nevertheless, I think a strong fleet is of vital importance if we get to war with Darkness, whether we attack him or defend him, and I'm positive we will. But don't build any ship until you can build destroyers, cos he can. [tongue]

Finally, if your only goal is to help me win this game, wouldn't it be a good idea to become a vassal? We're not fooling anyone anymore. Akots actually didn't want to sign a peace deal because you could attack him with units I'd gift to you, so we signed a five-turn-warning-deal. ;) Furthermore, formerly you're still my opponents. As vassal you could really claim part of my victory. (And I'd be #1 in score. :D)

nitro1974
27-06-2008, 11:02
1. Formerly berserks? Yes, that could be. Haven't thought of it. That surely changes things signficantly...
2. Akots is afraid that I might attack him? Curious...
3. Wouldn't me being a vassal to you destroy your economy?
4. Otherwise I'm okay with it. If I propose it in-game, I can also cancel it, can't I?

Matrix
27-06-2008, 11:18
I don't think it'll affect my economy much. But I'm quite sure you're both large enough to be able to cancel it. You need to have at least half as big as your 'master' (both territory and population).

NHJ
27-06-2008, 19:21
I'm okay with formally becoming a vassal, you're right that no one is fooled anymore.

However, destroyers are still a long way off, so I'm still going to build a few extra Frigates, mostly to patrol the Atlantic to keep an eye out, I know they can't do much.

Matrix
28-06-2008, 22:09
Hm, I didn't realise it would change our borders. [blush] All squares within the city radii of my cities became Stralish. Sorry about that...
But on the positive note it hardly affected my economy. I'm running a small deficit at 90% science instead of being in the plus. But that'll change once I've finished Wall Street in Custa City.

nitro1974
29-06-2008, 11:37
Matrix, please use my 'economy' as you see fit. Right now, I assume that it serves you best if Semelaria develops well. And it's best if Semelaria can defend its own borders. But should you require an annual cash amount, or if you want me to build more military. Just say so when the time comes.

PS: I believe that the changed borders might in some cases even be better. I remember some squires inside your city radius, and outside mine. But it was under the cultural influence of my capital, so neither could use it. That should be better now.
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/Borders.gif

NHJ
29-06-2008, 12:57
The borders change took three well-developed squares off one of my cottage cities, which kinda sucks. Oh well.

Matrix
29-06-2008, 20:08
Well, the goal for you is more clearly now to get me to win, but I'm not gonna dictate your moves. I'd like cooperation instead.

Akots rejected my suggestion to attack Darkness, probably as expected. He says for now he doesn't mind Darkness is first. I made it clear to him IanDC and I will not attack Darkness if we don't have a third man on our side.

I think we should prepare for a space race. That means I have to develop as fast as possible and should get my production in order at the proper moment. It would be best if you simply focus on the task of defending America. That means: focus on the military research and keep an eye out for enemies. Indeed NHJ, frigates are worthless against destroyers, but they can still scout. ;)

Matrix
29-06-2008, 21:22
Hey guys, with 175 extra gold per turn (from you) I can run at 100% science! Shall we do that? :) If so you could send me 75gpt (NHJ perhaps a bit less). The rest will be compensated in time by growth.

NHJ
30-06-2008, 00:53
I have about 1200 cash, and am making ~60gpt per turn now, just after switching to free market/universal suffrage, and being in a Golden Age. I'm now running 80% science, if I knock it down to 70% I could probably supply you with about 50gpt without running a deficit. My colonies in Australia are costing me quite a bit, but I'm going to construct the Forbidden Palace there soon which should alleviate that problem.

nitro1974
30-06-2008, 16:47
I'm currently in a revolution. I'll see what I can spare. Considering my economy, it should be substantial. ;)

Edit: I believe you have enough gold for 100% science, haven't you?

I see some of your ships in the North Atlantic. Should you do that for patrolling the ocean, it's not necessary. I have the whole North Atlantic in sight, all north of the line Genover-Goa.
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/Atlantic.gif

Matrix
02-07-2008, 13:05
Sweet, Nitro! [goodjob]

NHJ, please send me that 50 gpt. And I hope the Forbidden Palace won't take too long to build.

NHJ
03-07-2008, 01:04
Some major changes to my economy have now taken place, and I'm at ~45gpt now. In two turns I get Corporation, which should add another trade route to each city and thus give me more cash.

I also just got the election recount event, which gave me +1 gold for every courthouse [cool]

edit: basically I'll send you everything I have over a 1000 gold every few turns

Matrix
03-07-2008, 01:47
No, no, please don't give me more than necessary. You need to grow stonger yourself too! The same counts for Nitro. And because my own economy will grow too I'll probably even reduce the amount I receive from you guys over time (offering new deals to replace the old one).

nitro1974
03-07-2008, 23:11
It is nice if my contribution could be lowered in time. I'm now at 50% tech rate, researching some old techs every 1 to 2 turns. My contribution of 150 gold/turn costs me about 10% tech rate. In time, I can shift to 70% or 80% tech rate. With 70%, I can research railroad in 6 turns, combustion in 6 turns and electricity in 6 turns. So Matrix, I depend on you to charge me no more than is necessary for your 'space ship' :-)

NHJ
04-07-2008, 17:23
30gpt to Matrix is good, I can still run at 80% science. Now, to build more Riflemen [duelist]

Matrix
05-07-2008, 17:24
I have analysed our resource trades and think there is room for adjustments, because we should trade with each other first and only with the others afterwards. (E.g. NHJ receives fur from Darkness which he can also get from Nitro.)

The new deals between us should be as follows:
Matrix to Nitro: Clam, dye, spices, sugar for fur
Matrix to NHJ: Clam, spices
Nitro to NHJ: Fur for gems

As soon as the new turns starts I'll cancel all deals between us and will offer this one. You can then accept them before that turn ends.

Contemporary deals with others that is unnecessary:
Nitro receiving gems.
NHJ receiving fur, sugar, spices, sheep.
Please cancel these deals, because you have them yourself, or you can get them from one of us.

Also check other deals. E.g. Nitro, you're sending cow to Shabbaman for nothing in return.

nitro1974
06-07-2008, 11:07
Be aware: Darkness and probably IanDC are preparing for an attack on the Americas. First Darkness, and now IanDC has cancelled my open borders. I had good sight of Darkness territory through espionage points, but I believe Darkness has increased its espionage efforts against me, as I can see only 50% of his cities now. I told IanDC last turn (through a part of my minimap) that I could see a great deal of IanDC's cities. Finally, IanDC indicated that the game dynamics have changed significantly due to the 'new' situation in the Americas. But so far the speculation, now the facts:

Darkness has three transports on the move: first west of Northern Ireland. Second just build in Ireland. A third one in port in Rotterdam. Last turns, those transports were motionless in the North Sea. Furthermore, Darkness has a considerable force of infantry gathered in those cities. By the way, with industrialism discovered, Darkness probably possesses tanks by now. Darkness has two destroyers within visibility, but I know he has at least five experienced destroyers hiding together in the Arctic (but without sight).

IanDC is gathering troops in Morocco, with 6 galleons standing by. His frigates are gone. I can now no longer see the eastern part of the Atlantic near North-Africa. I am shifting my land troops to the eastern part of the continent. If they attack, I cannot hold them. I have revolted again to shift to a wartime economy. It means that our deal of 150 gpt, Matrix, will be cancelled this turn. Next turn, please reinstate.

NHJ
06-07-2008, 12:12
I was just going to post about IanDC as well. He has five or six Galleons at Gibraltar, and an army massed in Morocco consisting of Cannons, Riflemen, some Cavalry, and two Great Generals attached to them, maybe 20 units total. He still has his fleet there consisting of various Frigates, Ships of the Line, Ironclads, and one Destroyer. A combined Darkness-IanDC attack seems likely, and since Ian is a lot farther south, he might well attack me and Matrix' shared border region.

In about 7 turns I'll have Railroad, and from that point I'll start cranking out Machine Guns instead of Riflemen.

digger760
06-07-2008, 16:50
well you stir up a hornets nest you gonna get stung.

they could be planning to attacking each other as well

Matrix
07-07-2008, 01:46
I think the chance for that is really small. Indications for that are in the details: unit movements.

I've sent these three messages:
quote:To Darkness
Je zei laatst dat je niks te winnen hebt bij een invasie richting Amerika, maar ik krijg nu toch erg de indruk dat je een invasie voorbereid. Da's erg jammer, want zo geven we samen de overwinning uit handen aan akots, want die gaat natuurlijk straks een inhaalslag maken waar je bang van wordt.

Zoals je weet heb ik nu twee vassals. Dat maakt in mijn persoonlijke ontwikkeling weinig uit. Sterker nog, ik heb nu extra onderhoudskosten voor mijn steden. Maar wat wel belangrijk is, is dat zij bereid zijn zichzelf voor mij te storten en zichzelf op te offeren om mij te redden.

Dus ga nou asjeblieft niet je eigen kansen op de overwinning opgeven alleen om wraak te nemen, en al helemaal niet omdat je dat nou eenmaal al van plan was! Maar bezin je plannen nou even, want met een oorlog met Straland bereik je niks.

Voor mij hoef je sowieso niet meer bang te zijn: ik ben bereid tot een vredesverdrag voor tot het einde van het spel. Gezien je voorsprong op technologisch gebied en overwicht wat betreft productie acht ik mijn kansen in een space race klein. Die zijn allicht groter als ik jou ervan kan weerhouden mij aan te vallen (daarom stuur ik bericht ook), maar véél groter voor jou!

Translation:
Recently you said you have nothing to gain with an invasion towards America, but I'm getting the impression you're preparing for one. That's a real shame, cos then we'd give the victory to akots, cos he'll be catching up on us in no-time and then some.

As you know I have two vassals now. That matters only little to my personal development. More than that, I have extra maintenance for my cities now. But what is important is that they are prepared to throw themselves before me and sacrifice themselves for my skin.

So please, don't throw your own chances for a victory away just to take revenge, and certainly now just because you already planned to do so. But reconsider your plans, cos with a war with Straland you'll gain nothing.

You don't have to be afraid for me anyway: I'm prepared to sign a peace deal till the end of the game. Seen your leap ahead in science and predominance on production I consider my chances slim. They are obviously bigger if I can prevent you from attacking me (which is why I'm sending you this message), but they're much bigger for you!
quote:To IanDC
Looks like you're planning an invasion. Just to take revenge, or is there another greater plan behind it? In any case, I would just like to let you know I'm fully prepared for a battle and you'll have nothing to gain anyway. You have much more juicy neighbours, if you ask me.
quote:To akots
As you might know Nitro and NHJ are my vassals now, so they can't attack you. That means a proper peace deal with me is possible now, without a possibility to support Nitro or NHJ in a war against you. So, are you still interested? :)

Also, Darkness is preparing an invasion. I think it's directed at me, but it could be IanDC. In any case, inland he'll be weak, so that'll be a perfect moment for you to sneak attack him. ;) Just a suggestion.

I don't expect you to take that opportunity, but could you blame me for the notification? ;) My main goal with this message is the peace deal.

Matrix
07-07-2008, 13:45
Darkness doesn't want peace. He thinks I have the highest chance for victory.

Akots replied:
quote:Thanks for the hint and for the offer. I'd like to think about it for some time and then, make a decision. It might be, it will take 3 or 4 turns.
I think that means he's going to declare war on me in 3 or 4 turns. [tongue] We have a deal that we warn each other five turns in advance if we're going to declare war, but that doesn't matter. If it's Darkness, IanDC and akots against us, it's over.

nitro1974
07-07-2008, 21:59
3 to 4 turns... that could very well be. The last glimpse of Darkness' territory showed three more transports in the Baltic Sea. My estimation is that he has at least 7 transports and a dozen destroyers. I expect the transports to be loaded primarily with infantry, and some tanks. Given the movement of his ships, I expect an attack somewhere south, probably directly straight at Matrix. His transports can move 6 per turn, and some (if upgraded) even 7. So in about 4 turns Darkness will reach America.

Edit in the next turn: I just saw 9 transports and 1 battleship grouped together in the Baltic Sea. They are still 5 turns away from American cities.

nitro1974
10-07-2008, 15:29
Matrix... the ships of Darkness have left the Baltic Sea, likely moving towards the Channel. It seems a waste to me, to have an isolated destroyer sailing around, waiting for Viking storm destroying it. But that's your choice...

Matrix
10-07-2008, 15:44
Well, I'd like to know where to strike with my ten destroyers, so please stay ahead of them.

Matrix
10-07-2008, 17:10
Nitro, I'd like to know the exact location of his ships at this moment and how many ships there are as soon as possible!

digger760
10-07-2008, 17:39
[morepics]

nitro1974
10-07-2008, 17:43
Well, in that case you should move your 'scout destroyer' to the westcoast of Morocco. That's the only part of the ocean that I cannot see.

Let's combine our intelligence. (Next time, I'll make some screendumps).

At the beginning of turn 248, Darkness had 1 battleship and 9 transports in the Baltic Sea. They have been moved. The can move at speed 6, so at the beginning of turn 249 they can be at the latitude of Rotterdam. At the end of turn 249, they can -at most- be just one square to the west of Portugal.

IanDC has in the Streat of Gibralter a smaller armada:
6 destroyers (1x ***, 1x **, 1x *)
2 ironclads (**, *)
6 transports (1x **, 4x *)
His ground forces in the vicinity are:
Spanish Sahara (Gao): 2 infantry, 2 cavalry, 2 rifleman, 2 cannon, 1 skirmisher
Morocco (Tadmekka): 2 infantry, 5 cavalry, 4 rifleman, 6 cannon, 1 grenadier, 2 longbouwman, 1 crossbowman
Spain ("Madrid"): 4 cavalry, 2 rifleman, 3 cannon

Matrix
10-07-2008, 18:20
I think I misunderstood. You could see his ships, so I'd like to know how many there were and where they are. But when you mentioned that destroyer you talked about mine.

Anyway, so next turn probably in the English channel? Keep me posted!

Edit: Thanks! I can still see (most of) IanDC's cities, by the way, but Darkness' territory is blank.

nitro1974
12-07-2008, 22:18
The forces are on the move.

IanDC at the end of turn 249:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/IanDC249.gif
His 7 transports can carry 28 units. In the last turn, the following units 'disappeared' from the cities:
6 cavalry; 2 infantry; 2 rifleman; 5 cannons. Further 13 units are unknown. With these forces, IanDC can't accomplish anything in Semelaria or Straland. So I think he'll strike at Nicodemia.

Darkness at the end of turn 251:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/Darkness251.gif
I think it's best to sail clear of this fleet. Even Matrix... you'll only strengthen him by attacking. Try hiding your fleet for a more opportune moment. I still believe that Darkness knocks me out first. Just destroying two or three productive cities of mine, and I can't offer serious support to Matrix anymore. After that, I suppose he strikes at the heart of Straland. The only reason that Darkness will not eliminate me immediately is the time delay.

BCLG100
12-07-2008, 22:21
you could always just position your fleet infront of your cities

he wont be able to get close enough and you'll get a slight defensive bonus, least that way he wouldnt be able to amphib land and instead have to land his troops giving you an opportunity to attack.

Pastorius
13-07-2008, 00:17
I second the bear's suggestion

mauer
13-07-2008, 00:18
spare no cannon is all I can say

Robi D
13-07-2008, 04:09
quote:Originally posted by mauer

spare no cannon is all I can say

or cruise missle

NHJ
13-07-2008, 12:05

6 cavalry; 2 infantry; 2 rifleman; 5 cannons. Further 13 units are unknown. With these forces, IanDC can't accomplish anything in Semelaria or Straland. So I think he'll strike at Nicodemia.

I'm boned. The good news is there's only one city he can strike if he actually wants to land anywhere near Matrix' territory, and that's the most northeast one with the difficult name. I've been fortifying it with Riflemen (~15 so far) but I probably can't hold him off for very long. I have a few Cannons underway as well.

edit: akots is also definitely up to something:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2008717233037_niekspotsakots.jpg
105.08KB
Edit: resized. ;)

nitro1974
14-07-2008, 19:46
So Akots will be clearing Australia and South East Asia of American presence. I wonder if Akots, Darkness and IanDC will strike at the same turn...

Anyhow, I find it rather appropriate that Darkness is researching 'Drama' at times like these. :-)

Matrix
14-07-2008, 22:59
...Right...
...Thanks for all the suggestions...

Two proposals:
1. "We've dressed up in our best and are prepared to go down like gentlemen." We fight with what units we have and let them destroy or capture our cities as they are.
2. Scorched earth: draft until all our cities are size five or six.

By the way, excellent documentation, Nitro! I wish it mattered. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/undecided.gif

NHJ
14-07-2008, 23:22

...Right...
...Thanks for all the suggestions...

Two proposals:
1. "We've dressed up in our best and are prepared to go down like gentlemen." We fight with what units we have and let them destroy or capture our cities as they are.
2. Scorched earth: draft until all our cities are size one.

Total war is my suggestion. Draft every person able to bear arms and destroy any valuable infrastructure if possible. Too bad you can't sell improvements before the city is captured like in Civ2 :D

On the other hand, large cities mean impossible maintenance costs for our enemies.

mauer
14-07-2008, 23:50
Total war is my suggestion. Draft every person able to bear arms and destroy any valuable infrastructure if possible. Too bad you can't sell improvements before the city is captured like in Civ2 :D

On the other hand, large cities mean impossible maintenance costs for our enemies.

Do you think they'd keep the cities?

BCLG100
15-07-2008, 01:18
Yeah i doubt they would, they'd raze them and perhaps resettle them later on. Your better building as much military as you can and then hoping that the alliance fragments. Is ynnek still in this game? perhaps you could speak to him about invading ian or akots?

Matrix
15-07-2008, 14:10
I think I've ruined my chances at getting socralynnek on my side, because I hinted at him that IanDC was weak at his side and made him declare war, just before I left IanDC alone.

Matrix
15-07-2008, 15:04
IanDC is going to attack my city of Lindeburg and not NHJ.
http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/RTW226.jpg

These are the units in Lindeburg. In addition I've drafted five units and moved them all to Lindeburg, so I don't think he's going to make it. If he's smart he'll try to attack another city.

Meanwhile akots is clearly making a move.
http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/RTW227.jpg

Darkness hasn't moved this turn yet.

I have fifteen destroyers. They are too late for IanDC's stack, and they won't even scratch a single transport of Darkness. They're useless in the Atlantic, so I think I'll move them all towards the Pacific so that I might stop akots.

[u]I have a serious suggestion!</u>
I gift my colonies to NHJ and the two of you declare yourself independent again (i.e. cancel the vassal treaty). You two announce this in the main forum, you also cancel Open Borders with me and I close this thread. The Confederation of America will cease to exist.

I'll probably be eliminated totally, but at least the two of you can survive.

nitro1974
15-07-2008, 17:28
Your 'serious suggestion' is very self-sacrificing by nature, and I appreciate it. But no, we're in this together, and we go down together. I don't blame Nicodemus if he leaves our team. It's my own fault to have chosen 'the wrong master', and I'll face the consequences.

digger760
15-07-2008, 18:56
hmm regardless of vassalage there is no gaurantee that Nitro or NHJ will be spared.

digger760
15-07-2008, 18:59
dig in guys you can handle it.

BCLG100
15-07-2008, 21:17
Yeah they'd probably think you were doing that to buy time.

mauer
15-07-2008, 22:04
quote:Originally posted by digger760

dig in guys you can handle it.

+1

Don't chicken out, this is probably the most interesting part of the game.

NHJ
16-07-2008, 00:37
quote:Originally posted by digger760

hmm regardless of vassalage there is no gaurantee that Nitro or NHJ will be spared.

Agreed, if they actually eradicate Matrix it won't be much more effort to kill me off. Besides, it's not like I have any chance to win this game anyway.

nitro1974
16-07-2008, 22:43
I wonder how much damage they can do in this first attack round. Destroy a 'just a city', perhaps one or two important cities, or actually start an invasion...

Meanwhile... Darkness approaches. He can attack East Coast, which I have defended to the best of my abilities. He can also reach Useless Swamp, not an important city for me. I hope that Darkness ignores me and moves straight for Matrix, but I'm not yet convinced of that.
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/Darkness253.gif

nitro1974
17-07-2008, 12:50
So Darkness has destroyed Genover. He threatens Chaalveen (3 infantry) with his tanks: 15 tanks and 1 infantry. Given his fleet of 10 transports, that leaves 24 units unaccounted for. Genover wasn't well defended (~2 infantry), was it Matrix? So Darkness probably has suffered no or little losses. Thus there is still a considerable force (~20 infantry(?)) at sea between Custa City (20+ infantry) and Useless Swamp (~7 infantry).

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/Darkness254.gif

PS Matrix: I'm gifting you units regularly. Workers so you can build railroads between my cities, but also e.g. an infantry unit in Custa City. My main force (infantry and cannons) is located near Semelaria. I'm not sure what to do with it.

BCLG100
17-07-2008, 13:39
Shame you guys dont have any advanced parties, you'd expect their homelands to be fairly empty!

killercane
17-07-2008, 13:50
Damn the white man. Any chance to smokem the peace pipem?

nitro1974
17-07-2008, 14:00
I don't have (the tech for) destroyers, so I can't cross the ocean. Darkness has several destroyers patrolling the Atlantic and most of his cities have 3 infantry defense, even now. So no, I can't counterstrike.

Furthermore, Darkness still has some 20+ infantry in South-East Europe. He's smart, he can't be taken by surpise at this time.

NHJ
17-07-2008, 17:37
IanDC landed a huge army near my northeastern city. I have a bunch of Riflemen there but they're not going to hold.

3 more turns until I can build Infantry, I've build some Machine Guns but they're not yet at the front. I consider the city to be lost.

Matrix
18-07-2008, 00:25
I've moved a few units from my city to yours. I hope it's enough, but I really have to move all my units to where Darkness can land.

I've destroyed Darkness' stack of fifteen tanks and one infantry (spending a couple of cannons and infantry). But he came with ten transports, so there are probably still about 24 units left. The only city of mine that he can reach is Custa City, so I've moved as many units as possible to it.

I've also destroyed two destroyers and two transports of akots heading to America. Now I really understand why Japan wanted Pearl Harbor destroyed. :D

On the downside I just couldn't reach his other bunch. He's on track to Cahokia. [scratch]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2008717232527_akotsnorth.jpg
96.65KB

nitro1974
18-07-2008, 12:10
I lost Cahokia - destroyed. I could have drafted an infantry one turn ago, but I was careless. So Cahokia was virtually undefended (one infantry). Losses to akots: one infantry and one cavalry.

Well... look on it from the bright side: loosing (only) Cahokia doesn't really hurt.

PS: his 4 transports are undefended near my coast. Matrix, you don't have any ships nearby, do you?

BCLG100
18-07-2008, 13:04
Guys now's your perfect time to spy! one of you carefully watch whilst darkness is taking his pitboss turns! ;)

Pastorius
18-07-2008, 21:23
More pics if possible

NHJ
19-07-2008, 12:20
http://ngoorman.googlepages.com/Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

From the previous turn.

nitro1974
19-07-2008, 14:53
How is it going on the three fronts?

1. Darkness
Darkness has destroyed two cities of Matrix, Genover and Goon. They were both in the Caribbean, weren't they? Meanwhile, Darkness is gathering a second strike force in Europe, see picture.
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/Darkness256.gif

2. akots
Akots has destroyed Cahokia, in Alaska. I think that Matrix has done quite some damage to the fleet of akots. Unfortunately, he has landed his troops on my west coast, see picture. I have 8 airships bombarding his troops, and pillaging the land is the worst he can do to me. I don't think that the troops are capable of capturing an American city.
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/akots256.gif

3. IanDC
IanDC has attacked two cities of Nicodemus with success. Surprisingly (to me), IanDC didn't destroy Ollantaytambo, but he captured it (see previous post of NHJ).

Did they make some kind of battle arrangement?:
Darkness -&gt; Matrix
akots -&gt; Nitro
IanDC -&gt; Nicodemus

Anyhow, we now have two invading armees (akots and IanDC), and Darkness is ruling on the Atlantic. Is this a correct summary?

NHJ
20-07-2008, 23:53
Ian just landed a second stack of units near Machu Picchu, so he's definitely taking me out. I moved the stack of Infantry Matrix gave me to that city, I have a railroad connection to there now luckily. Machine Guns are also steadily being built now, and I've upgraded some of my own Riflemen to Infantry. As you can see he's throwing everything at me, even Macemen and Knights.

Matrix: I've dropped my science rate to 50%, so I'm sending you 100gpt

http://ngoorman.googlepages.com/ian.jpg

Matrix
21-07-2008, 00:34
Good. Darkness is retreating. Akots can't pass me on the sea. So IanDC is all there is to hit. [evil]

nitro1974
21-07-2008, 16:34
Akots invasion force is destroyed.
(Well, 4 very weakened units left, I assume that Matrix takes care of those this turn).

I have reinstated my 150 gpt donation to Matrix. Matrix... what do you mean by 'Darkness is retreating'? Is he collecting another shipload of tanks and infantry in Europe, and then returning to America? Or is he ceasing his attacks on us permanently?

Matrix
21-07-2008, 17:03
He said he's retreating permanently to pocket his victory.

Akots is under control. I've got the Pacific Ocean in my hands and I don't see how he'll be able to surprise us with another attack. He is gathering up a new force though, but he still doesn't have Industrialisation, hence no battleship, while I have one already there (with collateral damage) and more in production.

I'm moving many units south towards IanDC. Nitro, could you do the same with units you can spare? NHJ, once you have Assembly Line, upgrade your riflemen a.s.a.p.! I will send you money for it as well. We are well able to kick IanDC off our continent.

nitro1974
21-07-2008, 17:41
I'm not sure how many units I can spare. If I can trust that Darkness will not be attacking me, it should be quite a lot. Well, I'm sending 10-15 infantry, some artillery and those funny airships to South America anyway.

NHJ
22-07-2008, 17:53
Can any of you take a look at the Atlantic east of my cities (by airship or something, they have a recon function, right?) I'm afraid that Ian might either land another stack, or suddenly decide to ship one of his current stacks to any of my more southern cities, which are barely defended. My railroad network isn't finished yet, so if that happens I'm not sure I can get units there in time.

Pastorius
22-07-2008, 23:06
Good work defending so far guys. All in all it seems (with little in terms of pics for us lurkers to study) that you fought them hard

White man came across the sea
He brought you pain and misery
He killed your tribes, he killed your creed
He took your game for his own need

You fought him hard you fought him well
Out on the plains you gave him hell
But many came too much for cree
Oh will you ever be set free?

Riding through dustclouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game
Murder for freedom a stab in the back
Women and children and cowards attack

Run to the hills run for your lives
Run to the hills run for your lives

etc etc

Matrix
23-07-2008, 09:20
Iron Maiden. http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/headbang.gif

NHJ
23-07-2008, 17:23
Update: the 5 or so units Ian sent out of Ollantaymbo were destroyed by Matrix' tanks and other stuff. The less-impressive stack Ian sent to Machu Picchu fled after I damaged them with Cannons (not sure if Matrix attacked any of them). They've now been blocked in by the ocean, mountains and hills where I positioned some Machine Guns and Infantry. They can probably get past but that would damage them quite a bit.

Image here (http://ngoorman.googlepages.com/ian2.jpg)

nitro1974
23-07-2008, 21:56

The less-impressive stack Ian sent to Machu Picchu fled after I damaged them with Cannons (not sure if Matrix attacked any of them).

Ah, hey, well... don't forget my mighty, impressively damaging airships!

NHJ
23-07-2008, 22:40

The less-impressive stack Ian sent to Machu Picchu fled after I damaged them with Cannons (not sure if Matrix attacked any of them).

Ah, hey, well... don't forget my mighty, impressively damaging airships!

Of course, how could I [yeah]

NHJ
24-07-2008, 18:47
IanDC abandoned Ollantaymbo, he might be moving his stack from there to combine it with the other.

Also:

Matrix Score increased to 2394
Nicodemus Optimus Maximus Score increased to 1266
IanDC Score decreased to 1845

digger760
25-07-2008, 00:32
Is it possible for you guys to scrap out a diplomatic win? maybe you will need Mongols and Zulu support for it as well

Matrix
25-07-2008, 01:11
Ha! Not a chance. I don't know who would ever vote for me. I don't know why anyone would vote for anyone to begin with, except for the reason "better A than B". But I think no one will object to Darkness' victory.

But the situation has changed drastically: Akots and Darkness have signed peace with us! And that's not moment too soon, because Darkness has just landed a staggering stack next to Nitro's most northeastern city and Hidden Town! You'd probably be able to defend Hidden Town, but the other would've been lost. They're probably stuck on Newfoundland now. [lol]

That means IanDC is the only one left. If you ask me we've got ourselves a new goal: the conquest of Mali. [evil] The three of us should be able to do that, shouldn't we? I'm moving all my navy from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic with which I can easily control the ocean over IanDC. The only problem is it's gonna take some turns before it gets there.

Also, I'm making 111gpt* now at 100%. [rolleyes] I'll save the money for NHJ to upgrade his riflemen.

digger760
25-07-2008, 01:14
Are you sure...if you sign them up as vassals, is'nt it a shared victory?

Matrix
25-07-2008, 01:17
Well, Nitro and NHJ are my vassals, but socralynnek and Shabbaman aren't, and there's no way in hell they'd want to be my vassals. And if they would, just to vote for me and share in the victory...they'd have a thin slice of the victory pie, if you know what I mean. [rolleyes]

BCLG100
25-07-2008, 02:31
I think if you want to win this game you should leave Ian alone, you've whipped yourselves pretty far, now i think you need to rebuild and attempt to hit akots and darkness in the future- they're your two main targets at winning the game.

Matrix
25-07-2008, 09:41
Well, their main goal was to eliminate my chances at winning, which they've done succesfully. If I ever get a chance that would be by nuking them to smithereens.

We could also try a domination victory. [mischief] That has as much chance of success as a space race. In any case, I'm strongly in favour of conquering IanDC and if that's done before the game is over we continue for grahamiam and socralynnek.

The question is: what kind of peace deal with Darkness and akots should I go for?

NHJ
25-07-2008, 13:04
Wait, why did Darkness sign a peace treaty if he just landed this huge stack of units?

nitro1974
25-07-2008, 20:53
Yes, I find that quite curious... It's safe to say that Darkness has nothing to gain by yet another attack, since he is winning anyway. On the other hand, he has nothing to lose... or has he?

From my point of view, it's kind of nice of Darkness that he's accepting peace right this moment. Perhaps he's hoping that his kindness now, prevents any future nuclear attack from us on him in the future.

I think that Darkness is so far advanced in technology, that nuking him won't make a difference. So let's go for a domination victory... continue attacking IanDC. Make peace with Darkness and akots for the remainder of the game, but make clear that we will not sign a peace treaty with IanDC. And let's try to give Matrix more points than Darkness. It might not win the game, but at least we end the game in style.

...that would be my suggestion...

Matrix
25-07-2008, 23:33
It's a weird timing of Darkness, but the real reason was that we were online at the same time. ;) He said it's not much use continuing if akots doesn't give us a second front.

Anyway, Nitro is thinking in the same line as I did, but I wanted to ask you before conforming to indefinite peace treaties.

mauer
26-07-2008, 00:02
So what's the breakdown then? Who lost how many cities, and are there any cities under enemy control?

Matrix
26-07-2008, 00:11
Darkness destroyed two of my major cities.
Akots destroyed two towns of Nitro, conquered one colony of mine and claimed two other colonies in exchange for peace.
NHJ lost one city to IanDC but took it back.

NHJ, how many riflemen do you have and how much does it cost to upgrade one to infantry?

killercane
26-07-2008, 02:35
Who has the UN?

nitro1974
26-07-2008, 11:43
Yes, akots destroyed one of my (smaller) towns, and a tiny polar village (the latter due to carelessness on my part). Peace with akots (safe Pacific) and peace with Darkness (safe North-Atlantic) is nice. Matrix... can you control the Atlantic against IanDC? So I can donate many, many, wonderful infantry to the war... :)

NHJ
26-07-2008, 15:59
quote:Originally posted by MatrixNHJ, how many riflemen do you have and how much does it cost to upgrade one to infantry?

Upgrading costs 110 gold, and I have 11 of them left, half of which are in the colonies and aren't really a priority. I do have some ancient units left (axemen, swordsmen) in some of my cities, but I'll probably delete them except the few with useful upgrades.

nitro1974
27-07-2008, 12:24
Matrix, can you intercept IanDC's fleet? It would be a waste if he can evacuate his troops in time. And so many transports always pose a risk...

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/IanDC264.gif

Matrix
27-07-2008, 13:00
I don't think I can reach him this turn yet. [sad]

NHJ
27-07-2008, 17:36
We can still attack him next turn (by land), if we do so before Ian plays his turn...

BCLG100
27-07-2008, 19:02
edit wrong thread

nitro1974
28-07-2008, 12:26

We can still attack him next turn (by land), if we do so before Ian plays his turn...

I could have, but I didn't. I played my turn already, expect moves against IanDC. It's nicer for him to move first.

Matrix
28-07-2008, 15:22
I could've hit him hard if there were some roads there. [aargh]
But I might still be able to attack his ships.

Edit: Crap. I can kill nine destroyers next turn, but his transports will remain unharmed. And next turn he can reach his shore just to unload the units.

NHJ
28-07-2008, 17:28

Well excuse me for not building roads to a remote jungle way outside my city limits http://ngoorman.googlepages.com/emot-colbert.gif"

nitro1974
28-07-2008, 17:41
Well excuse me for not building roads to a remote jungle way outside my city limits http://ngoorman.googlepages.com/emot-colbert.gif"

Yes, I am against the construction of roads in remote jungles.[mischief]

Matrix
28-07-2008, 18:33
Yea, I know, but it's all so close...

digger760
28-07-2008, 23:51
Has IanDC made any offer of peace, or hass he given up hope of winning and just keeping it interesting for himself as well?

Matrix
29-07-2008, 02:19
He offered peace to me twice, but I refused.

I had pretty weird battle outcomes this turn.
This displays with which unit I attack a destroyer of his and the chance of victory. Red is when I lost, green when I lost.
Battleship (34.8%)
Battleship (74.7%)
Battleship (74.3%)
Destroyer (23.1%)
Destroyer (67.4%)
Destroyer (32.9%)
Destroyer (43.1%)
Destroyer (52.7%)
Destroyer (51.0%)

5 out of 9 battles with outcomes against the odds and I end up as the lucky one.* :) All his sea units are pretty damaged and I can knock them all out the next turn. But then all his land units will be disembarked in Mali.

Nitro, NHJ, how many transports do you have? I only have about three or four now. [sad] (I killed a battleship and a destroyer of Darkness with them. [rolleyes])

*: Intensive research has shown that the chance of six victories or more was approximately 24.6%.

nitro1974
29-07-2008, 11:18
I have two galleons, they were hidden in the polar region and are already moving south, but it takes about 6 turnes before they come in Matrix's terrority. I have rocket technology, but no transport ship technology...

How many transport do we need? I gather my troops in Florida, especially the artillery and anti-tanks might be useful.

Matrix
29-07-2008, 13:40
Please send them over. We need at least eight, I think. I'm building more already, but that's gonna take a couple of turns also.

NHJ
29-07-2008, 16:20
I have two Galleons just off my west coast, I'll gift them to you. I don't have the tech for transports yet [blush]

nitro1974
30-07-2008, 23:47
Careful, Matrix! IanDC has already three battleships and a couple of destroyers in Tekedda. He might be getting military aid from Darkness. Anyway, your ships are not safe. You see IanDC's fleet in Tekedda in the picture below.

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/sander.lensink/IanDC268.gif

NHJ
31-07-2008, 19:08
Hey guys, I'm going on vacation to Germany for a week on saturday, so I won't be able to play. I also lost my internet connection so don't expect too much from me in terms of communication until I'm back. I asked digger to take over while I'm gone, so if he accepts you can adress any complaints about lack of roads to him :D

digger760
31-07-2008, 19:48
sorry guys, i cant do that. All my time is between work/completing a masters thesis/family.

Sadly Family is feeling rather excluded at the moment

Matrix
31-07-2008, 20:00
Have fun! :)

Nitro, I have the ships in sight. At present it still doesn't pose a threat, but I will build more battleships.

I've asked Darkness in a strong manner, but he said convincingly that he doesn't gift units to IanDC.

nitro1974
31-07-2008, 23:00
Yes, well, I should have checked the power graph, before making the suggestion that oneone gift anything to anyone else. I can't find the smallest decline in the graph of Darkness...

mauer
01-08-2008, 01:21
Hey guys, NHJ asked me to fill in for him. Could one of you PM me the IP?

Matrix
01-08-2008, 02:39
The 'IP'-addres is: matrix.kicks-ass.org (or 82.73.7.35).

Hey guys, I think I'm going to attack next turn! I only have four transports loaded, but IanDC has got all his ships in one city which is defended by only four units. Of course he can see me, so there's a big chance he'll move them, but in a possible chess game I'll have the lead, because my ships have +1 movement. But we'll see what the options are next turn.
http://www.straland.com/images/cdz/RTW228.jpg

He's also building marine's. [hmm] He's not seriously thinking about another invasion, is he?

BCLG100
01-08-2008, 02:50
marines have strength 24 iirc. Probably the strongest unit he has avaliable to him right now. I havent seen him with many tanks.

Matrix
01-08-2008, 12:05
I've seen him with tanks as well. And he's got the oil, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I see I forgot an important issue to tell: he's at war with socralynnek (again or still)! And both their powergraphs went down quite a bit last turn, so there have been some skirmishes. This is not a bad time at all to attack. :)

nitro1974
02-08-2008, 13:56
Mauer... nice of you to join us. Welcome in our team!

Matrix... your fleet is not superior to the fleet of IanDC. (I think). I count 5 battleships and 8 destroyers of IanDC near Tekedda, and 4 battleships and 14 destroyers of you near Olly-whatever. And IanDC's productivity is according to the stats greater than yours. Now... what is the battleplan? What should I do with my troops in Florida? In 4 turns, I can build transports myself.

nitro1974
05-08-2008, 23:43
IanDC is not at war (anymore?) with socralynnek. Otherwise, I would see that in the diplomatic relations chart, wouldn't I? Furthermore, I fear that IanDC's fleet pretty soon will outweigh Matrix fleet. But with 9 transports ready, I assume you'll be launching an attack pretty soon...

Matrix
06-08-2008, 00:40
Yes, I will attack next turn.

I think that Mining Inc. is giving him the advantage, so I have to attack next turn. My ships are in position. His ships (6 battleships, 9 destroyers) are in Tadmekka. He can only reach my stack with his destroyers, but not with his battleships, because of my +1 movements. I have 4 battleships and 11 destroyers, by the way. His ships will probably be outside the city next turn, unless he thinks he can keep the city, which is not unlikely. Perhaps I should sacrifice my transport ships after the invasion to save my battleships & destroyers.

mauer
06-08-2008, 18:14
Matrix, where am I supposed to be sending those transports? I'm about to go play the turn and wanted to check first.

Matrix
06-08-2008, 18:37
I sent you an in-game message. (Just follow me. ;))

I don't really see how an invasion is possible. I've moved my stack again, because he's got more units in Takedda than I have in the transport ships. [rolleyes] This time I'm in position to attack either Takedda or Awdaghost. The thing he did earlier was moving his stack of ships just outside Takedda, so that I couldn't reach him. So we're really in a stalemate.

Perhaps I should ask for peace after all and attack socralynnek. [tongue] Any thoughts?

nitro1974
06-08-2008, 23:29
If you make peace with IanDC, you have to acknowledge your defeat in this game. I can help to attack IanDC from North-America, but attacking socralynnek is very difficult for me. I still have quite some military - I asked it before: how to make use of them?

option 1) you attack and capture one of IanDC's cities. It doesn't really matter if he retakes that city as long as a suffers considerable losses. Then we launch another attack two turns later.

option 2) we fight on two fronts: If you give me oil, I can upgrade my ships. I have the tech now. I launch an attack in North Africa first. He has to respond, so he will shift his troops. You than make use of that.

Perhaps it's best to start with option 1 now. I still need several turns before upgrade-completion and moving to Morocco. So in 5 or 6 turns we go for option 2.

I ask again: should I gift my units in South-America to you, Matrix?