PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Baseball discussion and sign-up

Mistfit
26-02-2008, 21:14
It is that time of year again to start thinking about baseball.. this thread will be about another season of Fantasy Baseball..

Last year being out inaugural season we had fun but we need to discuss what can be done to keep interest in the game all season long.

Anyone with ideas?

I personally think that the people that played last season could keep their interest more this season because like me they now have an idea on how the whole thing works..

Post if you have ideas or would like to sign up

sz_matyas
26-02-2008, 21:36
Looks like the season starts on March 24, so we'll have to have everything completed by then. I'll set the league up within a week if you want any changes from last year, let me know before it gets set in stone.

Also suggested draft times are appreciated. Tentative thought is the weekend of the 15-16th in the afternoon.

Good luck and hope it is as tight as last year (except for the 1st spot, I got ridiculously lucky there).

Mistfit
26-02-2008, 22:42
btw.. we would like to get 12'ish people to join..

we have 2 right now :)

Matt
Mistfit

Robboo
27-02-2008, 01:58
I am in ..more than likely I will have to auto draft. Schedule is too chaotic to predict.

More trash talk may help with interest. also head to head games are a most. Total points type is a bit boring to start and at teh end

Whomp
27-02-2008, 03:31
I'm in too. Let me know when.

sz_matyas
27-02-2008, 05:08
I'll look at head to head formats.

The problem I have with them is that any individual week is too random, especially for pitchers to use a rotisserie scoring system and points based scoring systems are hard to set fairly (so they don't overvalue certain stats or a single monster game from one player wins you the entire week, such as A-Rods 11 RBI day or Fernando Tatis hitting 2 grand slams in the same inning). If there is a two week head-to-head schedule I will use that (probably rotisserie scoring) or if you could come up with a fair pts system I would be willing to look at that.

Any thoughts on artificial position scarcity? (last year I included an extra middle infielder as they tend to affect the true performance of team and often get shafted in fantasy. For similar reasons I made holds a category as middle relievers are crucial, but get the shaft in fantasy).

One change I will make with head to head is limiting the number of transactions a week to prevent "streaming" where players pick up and drop pitchers like crazy to get the most starts (and presumably wins and strikeouts) as possible.

Tentative draft time of March 15 at 3 pm Central time work? Let me know if you have other suggestions for drafting.

Also add Mauer and Grahamiam from the other thread as playing this year. Feel free to invite a friend to join as 12 teams is more fun than 8 (I know 1 other person from WI that would like to join, giving us a league plus there are a couple from last year who haven't responded [cough! romeo cough!])

Robboo
27-02-2008, 13:05
Even with head to head you can smooth out some of the players great performances. As it is in rotisserie you get one ofr two great players you can expect less from the scrubs. The game is then won or loss in the draft. With head ot head you have to have a player who is consistent or just has a bad day once in a while.

You want to keep interest. knowing your in 5 or 6th with no way of catching up will hurt the interest. With head to head you have a chance every week.

Mistfit
27-02-2008, 13:40
I actually prefer Sundays in the late afternoon if possible. If I am the only one holding that up have it when ever but Saturdays tend to be my busy times

sz_matyas
27-02-2008, 21:08
Ok, the league is set up with the draft on Sunday March 16 at 3:00 (subject to change if necessary).

League #: 140397
Password: nerds

It is head-to-head each week (Yahoo doesn't do two week head-to-head) with the same categories and team structure as last season. Maximum of 3 player acquisitions a week, must pitch at least 25 innings. Join early, join often.

grahamiam
03-03-2008, 18:25
I'm in. Thanks for the pm sz :)

BCLG100
03-03-2008, 20:00
if you need another person i can sign up but bear in mind i wont have any idea what im doing/how the sport works/what to do/perhaps not maintain a high enough interest!

sz_matyas
03-03-2008, 20:50
Technically you only need 8 for a league (we have 7 committed and an open invitation if you wanted to join), but it is more fun with 12 so we'd be more than happy to have you join. Since it is head-to-head, each week you get to start from scratch and Yahoo does a decent job of ranking players.

I also don't think anyone here would be qualified as an expert. What little knowledge I have comes from watching games and reading the free articles on sites like Yahoo (there are usually 5 or so a week, so I can kill time at work).

mauer
04-03-2008, 00:01
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

if you need another person i can sign up but bear in mind i wont have any idea what im doing/how the sport works/what to do/perhaps not maintain a high enough interest!

I'm several years removed from following baseball at any great depth, so as far as knowing the players we'll be near level.

sz_matyas
06-03-2008, 18:14
One week to go to sign up with 4 spots still available. For people like BCLG or failed reality, my thought is join, have fun, talk smack about winning in ignorance! Also if you have any friends, tell them to join as well. Head-to-head isn't as fun without a full league, but I don't want to create dummy teams either.

This also is marking the last chance to change the categories to hitting for the cycle, catcher interference, outfield assists and hit by pitch for the hitters with inherited runners scored, batters grounded into double plays, triples allowed and perfect games for the pitchers. Cast your votes for changes now.

grahamiam
07-03-2008, 20:48
We need only 1 more player and we'll have an even set. Anyone?

Also, anybody interested in doing an NCAA tourney pick'm via Yahoo as well? No money, just fun :)

sz_matyas
07-03-2008, 22:55
I know one more person I can get to join, just it's more fun with 12 teams than 8 (also the playoffs is set up for 12, though that can get adjusted).

Might be interested in Tourney pick'm, have to see how busy I am after selection sunday.

sz_matyas
16-03-2008, 17:49
Draft today at 3pm CDT, just wanted to remind everyone.

Mistfit
16-03-2008, 20:44
Come on Guys!!

you can get into the draft right now.. so be prepared!

sz_matyas
16-03-2008, 22:23
Draft is over, must say turnout was disappointing. I'm happy with my team (except for SS and RP) hope Yahoo did a good job for the rest of you.

mauer
16-03-2008, 22:33
I was one of the bums that missed the draft. Can't say I'm disappointed with the yahoo auto draft. Not too shabby. Spent the last 3 days in San Antonio with the family and visiting friends, and was just really tired (fell asleep watching Bee Movie, which is why I wasn't at the draft).

sz_matyas
17-03-2008, 04:04
5 Closers and no middle relief, interesting selection of pitchers to say the least (could give me a chance to stock up my depleted closer ranks that way).

If anybody needs an OF, I would be more than willing to trade as starting in week 2 I will have 6 of them.

sz_matyas
03-04-2008, 08:44
In a runaway for most painful lineup: Mauerville sluggers have 6, count them 6 players on the DL.
My suggestion: use your 2 DL slots add pick up some pitchers. If you aren't careful you won't hit 21 innings and lose all pitching categories (and hence the week).

Must say, that is impressive for having such a nose for injuries though. Especially long term as Escobar is out for the year, Pedro for 4-6 weeks, Granderson for a month, Lackey for a month, who knows on Matsui (how long does it take to heal anal fissures? and how does one get them in the first place? scratch that I don't want to know)

grahamiam
03-04-2008, 18:45
I'm kinda getting the hang of the scoring system now. I'll probably be more fiddly as the season goes on. I do like this setup better than last years setup [thumbsup]

sz_matyas
03-04-2008, 20:56
This does seem to be a better system for mild interest/time. The big problem I had with switching to it is that the playoff structure lets a team fall from 1st to 5th or lower on a single bad week, when baseball, unlike football is about prolonged excellence and playoff series can take 2 weeks. Guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The nice thing is that it lets a bad start get wiped out almost completely. Hopefully we get more participation/fiddling and smack going on this year.

mauer
05-04-2008, 18:52
This sucks balls. Gotta say that I haven't kept up with baseball for a couple of years now. I don't even recognize the names much.

sz_matyas
07-04-2008, 21:49
Despite that DL crunch, you still managed 3 points, so not all is lost.

You can use 2 DL slots, not just 1, so you can pick up another player and hopefully get back on the right track before too long. You have a decent core of players and a lot of it is luck (and quality smack talk) so we won't hold it against you unless you quit trying.

mauer
07-04-2008, 23:18
Would have done it already, but I had made my player moves earlier in the week. Bad call on my part I guess. Don't worry, I'll still lose in quality fashion :)

sz_matyas
08-04-2008, 00:08
week resets every Monday (technically midnight pacific time), so you should have 2 moves at the moment. I always enjoy taking peoples best shots and winning. Though it doesn't look like I'll be dominating as much as last season, which is truly a pity.

grahamiam
08-04-2008, 14:57
What is the strategy for pitching? I just lost 2 catagories (ERA and WHIP) because I had a starter and a reliever play while my opponent had just one reliever pitch one inning. If I flood my pitching with DL'd pitchers or day-off starters, does that mean I automatically get ERA and WHIP to 0.00?

Mistfit
08-04-2008, 15:57
you need a minimum of 25 innings pitched during the week for you to get any credit for pitching stats.

sz_matyas
08-04-2008, 18:06
Mistfit is correct, the 25 inning rule was instituted to combat exactly the strategy you are suggesting. The 2 acquisition/week rule was instituted to avoid simply picking up every starting pitcher that was going on a given day and dropping them after their start. Both are used extensively in fantasy baseball, but don't reflect real life, so I tried to eliminate them.

You seem to have a very solid approach to your pitching staff, so I wouldn't sweat it, especially 1 day into the week.

Mistfit
08-04-2008, 18:43
is there a way to switch the times of the games to EST instead of Pacific time?

Mistfit
08-04-2008, 18:58
hmm.. now it switched.. if you did this Matt.. thanks :D

Robboo
09-04-2008, 00:35
you probably did it with your own settings?

sz_matyas
09-04-2008, 20:15
Pacific time is the default setting. If you don't tell Yahoo where you are, it tries to guess. Since you use satellite it probably has a tough time so it reverts to the default unless you specifically put EST as your default.

mauer
25-05-2008, 04:17
What's the "x" for by the game status? I know the "^" means that player is playing or did play, and that no "^" means he didn't. Not sure about the "X" though.

mauer
23-06-2008, 00:55
Nice one graham, Mark Tex is on the bench! 3 homers in one stinking day.

grahamiam
23-06-2008, 02:44
He is soo streaky, it's unbelievable. One week he's the best player in my lineup, but for 3 or 4 weeks in a row, he'll be my worst. Just have to catch him when he's on a good streak rather than a bad one, and all of Atlanta pretty much tanked for a few weeks there.

mauer
23-06-2008, 03:19
I probably would have benched him as well considering his play recently and with your lineup. You know since the day Texas traded him to Atlanta their W-L record is the same. My son was upset when they traded him cause he had his jersey and poster.

mauer
20-08-2008, 15:56
I think it's safe to say that Rob is out. I mean, I only have to win 2 more and he's DQ'd. Who is Palpable Mass though? He's 9.5 games out of the playoffs behind me, while it's not undoable, it certainly isn't very likely. Just to say, I think we're all set for the playoffs with our current top 6.

Whomp
30-09-2008, 01:23
It was a battle to the end! Thanks SZ for quite a finish. Mark Buehrle appears to have solidified the winner. Let's hope the white sox can do the same tonight.

Fun season everyone. Thanks!

mauer
30-09-2008, 03:05
Congrats Berns :) That was a close finish between you two.

grahamiam
30-09-2008, 03:47
And nice job :golfclap: to Mistfit for kicking my ass to earn 3rd place :)

Mistfit
10-02-2009, 22:37
Time to start thinking on this again as Pitchers and Catchers report this week :D Any interest? Put your name down if you are

Darkness
11-02-2009, 10:59
Definately not interested (sorry, but baseball is about as interesting to me as watching paint dry), but I am curious as to who´s gonna draft A-Fraud...?

romeothemonk
11-02-2009, 13:09
I would use my first overall pick on him......again.

A lot of people panned his "apology" but it was world's better than Bonds, Sosa, Palmerio, etc.

A ton of people also are/were mistified by his swipes at GNC. Unless you are into the workout scene, and into it hardcore, you really don't know what you are buying there. I have 7 years of college with some emphasis on biological and chemical functions and I can't figure out what about half the stuff there is for. (I have been working out and shooping there for 4 years)

I will not boo A-rod for the steroid things. I will boo him for banging Madonna. That was inexcusable.

Darkness
11-02-2009, 14:05
I would use my first overall pick on him......again.

A lot of people panned his "apology" but it was world's better than Bonds, Sosa, Palmerio, etc.

True. But the fact remains that just about all the big name sluggers of the last decade and several other top players have used steroids. Does that not diminish the value of the game in your eyes'?

Please note that I am not trying to bash or insult baseball (or your interest in the sport) but it would turn me off the sport. The same thing happened to me and cycling. I used to be a Tour de France fanatic. Now I couldn't care less. I still follow it somewhat, but my interest in it has been reduced to a fraction of what it was before...

Now baseball is not the only sport with doping issues. In all likelyhood basketball and football also have problems in this regard, but it does seem more widespread in baseball. Any ideas as to why that is?

And for the record: I'd go with Albert Pujols. He's almost as good as A-Fraud (when he's healthy) and at least he's not been caught (yet?). That would make me feel better about the pick.

barbu1977
11-02-2009, 14:38
And for the record: I'd go with Albert Pujols. He's almost as good as A-Fraud (when he's healthy) and at least he's not been caught (yet?). That would make me feel better about the pick.

Multiple injuries is a good sign of a guy on steroïds

grahamiam
11-02-2009, 15:53
Time to start thinking on this again as Pitchers and Catchers report this week :D Any interest? Put your name down if you are

I'll play again :)

Funny thing about the A-Rod outing is that 104 guys tested positive and he was the only one whose name was released. Wonder who he pissed off?

romeothemonk
12-02-2009, 13:17
They had Pujol's workout in a copy of Muscle and Fitness. I forget which edition it was, and that was intense. 5-6 days a week, 3-500 total lifts per workout. Either he has truely freakish recovery, sleeps all the time or has some help.
On this I couldn't say. But if you go to some natural bodybuilders/powerlifters and have them do this workout, most will end up falling out by week 4 due to fatigue, overtraining or injury.

mauer
13-02-2009, 02:00
I'm sitting this one out gents.

Mistfit
16-02-2009, 04:25
come on guys.. it is so much more fun to play when we can have a league with people we know so we can trash talk each other..

Grahamiam
Me
Matt
Romeo?

who else.. ?

Mistfit
04-03-2009, 18:40
If you are still interested we have made a league..

League#: 170608

Password: ARod

Whomp
16-04-2009, 02:02
I forgot my password here until 2 minutes ago. I presume this didn't go off...