PDA

View Full Version : Taking CFC break due to AoA

Lt. Killer M
13-03-2003, 01:18
I am taking a one week break from CFC. Resaon: I told TF last time if the opinion banning by AoA wouldn't stop I'd be gone. Now, AoA is slowily picking it up agagin. I PMed TF about it and will now see what his answer will be. If he backs AoA I'm gone.

anarres
13-03-2003, 02:03
I am sad to hear it Killer. :(

It is a loss for CFC, but they may not realise it.

Lt. Killer M
13-03-2003, 02:15
Well, I simply do NOT want in any way to support a site whose wner supports dictatorial censorship. AoA acts like a Nazi - not with me!

ProPain
13-03-2003, 07:57
Like Anarres I'm sad to hear it but I understand your action very well. You know how I feel about OT management: it leaves much to be desired and that's why I avoid it.

Hope to see you work on your postcount here then!

Sultan B
13-03-2003, 18:57
I hope to see your forum here thrive, but I am disheartened that you would just back down from your positions in OT. One thing that came out of the last round is that AoA no longer engages in arguments. The posters who would disagree with him that have stuck around have learned the forum rules and follow them to the letter to avoid banning- which leaves it to the 'fascist' element like sharp to screw up and get in trouble. Now there are still incidents, like Sween's ban for a not-harmful thread, that are unsavoury, but on the whole the forum is a reasonable place. I hold out hope too that some day I'll be an OT moderator. It could happen...[:p]

col
13-03-2003, 21:14
I read a lot in OT and post occasionally. I've never run into trouble with AoA mainly because I can phrase things in such a way that he cant take offence. Choice of words is critical.

Sween
13-03-2003, 21:46
Hello. Just signing in. Lt. M, are you still planning on making a FAQ section on CDG? We'd love to have you there.

There's an entire thread at CDG dedicated to AoA antics: http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/viewtopic.php?t=1959

I look forward to seing this site here grow. I don't know if I'm going to leave CFC completely. Probably not, because it is a huge part of traffic to my website.

Take care!

WildFire
13-03-2003, 21:47
You cant sween :(

Than the 25% of the hockey fans on CFC would be gone :P

GreyFox
13-03-2003, 22:17
Don't give up on CFC just because of one guy Killer.

Lt. Killer M
14-03-2003, 07:11
sween: the FAQ on CDG is largely complete, the PTW one needs work. Once I find time I'll do it.....

GreyFox: it is NOT one guy, it is the fact that the site owner seems to support nazism :(

Shabbaman
14-03-2003, 08:20
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M.

it is the fact that the site owner seems to support nazism :(

Brrr... That one gives me the shivers. I hope you mean that in correspondence to the moderating business, and not in any other way. It's not 'nice' to say that, Killer...

anarres
14-03-2003, 13:12
A decision on TF's part to not throw out AoA may not be solely because of TF's personal political views.

I am sure there are several factors being weighed up, and as much as AoA is more right wing than most, I would stop short of calling him a Nazi. That word has strong connotations, and I would prefer the term 'fascist', but calling someone that is not easily justified either IMO.

col
14-03-2003, 14:16
Personally I think TF handled the situation pretty well. AoA does a good job on issues that he isnt personally involved in and he does keep a lot of crap out. . Look at Poly's OT if you want to see a mess. His polical views are irrelevent as long as he mods fairly. Sometimes though, AoA seems to lose it and gets himself backed into a corner. Yes - I have read all the thread at CDG. Yes, one or two bans were unjustified. But yes most of the bans were fully justified - as the individuals concerned would admit.

What is clear that many people have lost faith in AoA's ability to moderate OT evenhandedly. That's sad.

Lt. Killer M
14-03-2003, 15:08
anarres: yes, 'facist' covers it better. It is classical facist methods (but also communist) how he tries to moderate opinons. I know TF has other views, but he made a fucking rule and now lets AoA blantantly bypass it. No thanx!

col: how did he handle it? The fact that AoA makes certain opinions that are in accordance with the rules suddenly bannable (i.e. you may not voice the opinion that 'the US is the agressor in Iraq') has NOT been addressed at all!

as for his bans: a lot of people have PMed or mailed me after the last incident, saying theyfeared to voice their opinions or to discuss anything with AoA. Now, he may usually ban with reason, but making people afraid of being banned unfairly is enough!

Elden
15-03-2003, 04:33
After being banmned for having an opinion (anti-war)I've decided that I'm not going back except to finish my current PBEM and post this message:

Goodbye CFC -

I've decided after my recent ban that I am sick and tired of the way this place is run. I will not be coming here again until at least one of the following occurs:

1) WAR IN IRAQ IS CANCELLED OR OVER
2) THE UNFAIR/BIASED MODERATORS LOSE THEIR POWERS

Shabbaman
15-03-2003, 17:47
Gee, you've been banned here at the Anarchist's forum? That's quite some accomplishment.

Lt. Killer M
16-03-2003, 17:36
Shabba: I think he was quoting about CFC ;)

TF has NOT answered about the Bush-rule, but both he and AOA have made *very* reasonable posts in site feedback. These convinced me that AoA just overreacted a bit on the 'Bush rule'-comeback. From what they now say that thing and the resulting ban were kind of the toughest you could get, and AoA also stated publicly his exact position on US-critizism, in essence refining the Bush-rule to an acceptable level. It seems the SiteFeedback forum may anger the guy, but be a good way to get a precise answer....

I am not really enthused by CFC.

Sween
17-03-2003, 19:41
that kind of stuff will only make me post more. better to be in the way then marked a victory.

Shabbaman
17-03-2003, 20:19
HEY KILLER! I SAW YOU! YOU POSTED IN THE NEWBIE THREAD!!!

:lol:

Anyway, I've read the thread you're referring to. It's kinda easy to debate in that way with the 'new rule', but it's probably a good thing that there is being discussed with at least some form of ratio.