PDA

View Full Version : Football Manager 08

BCLG100
14-11-2007, 17:56
So i cant be the only one addicted to it around here, i know robi's a fan of the series.

Just won the world cup with England, kicking ass as Man utd. Literally won everything.

Shabbaman
14-11-2007, 18:13
08"S"? FM08 SPAM?

I'm not so excited about it as the previous versions. It has nothing to do with the game, but more that I can't find the patience to play it. That I haven't figured out the broken lineup after the first half of the season could count as well...

mauer
14-11-2007, 18:19
Not sure what it is.

failedreality
14-11-2007, 19:17
I played it a little bit, my first season I was promoted but then got nailed by all the good teams :)

Robi D
15-11-2007, 06:30
I love the CM/FM series. Just don't get enough time to play it. I have FM07 and seeing that there is nothing particularly new in 08 i wont be getting it.

Do you have a special formation you use simon?

BCLG100
15-11-2007, 18:50
Stoopid typos.

Well for me, i havent had an FM since i think 06, so theres been quite a few improvements, my formation is 4-4-1-1 with the wingers swapping and the forwards swapping between each other, fast tempo hard tackling, very attacking football!

Also found some quality players, mainly south american, Lulinha, guilherme, torje.

Theres a couple of bugs in the new game, for instance if you expand your stadium it only stays expanded for a few days before reverting to what it was before but taking your bank balance with it! that and your not remembered in the hall of fame, i've won 3 leagues and about 10 cups inclpuding the world cup but im nto mentioned there for some reason :s

Still quite an enjoyable game seeing as i got it for free!

Robi D
16-11-2007, 04:30
I'm only midway through my second season. My orginal game got lost when i forgot to back it up to transfer to my new computer[rolleyes].

I started unemployed and got a job at Thun in swizterland. Won the cup and finshed second in the league in the first year. That quilified me for europe where i lost to inter milan in the second round of the uefa cup but it was only 5-4 on agg. so i did well.

I haven't yet got my 3-1-3-1-2 fine tuned which i've used since cm2 96/97 but i'm having success with my 3-4-1-2. The tend to play a more continental style with short passing and medium tempo. I also having pressing turned up.

socralynnek
16-11-2007, 08:38
Played a lot of football managers when I was at school...

(Don't know how the English versions of Anstoss and Bundesliga Manager Hattrick were called...)

Now it is a little too time consuming for me so I rather play Civ or if I have little time Colin McRae Rally or PES.

Shabbaman
16-11-2007, 13:56
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100

Theres a couple of bugs in the new game, for instance if you expand your stadium it only stays expanded for a few days before reverting to what it was before but taking your bank balance with it! that and your not remembered in the hall of fame, i've won 3 leagues and about 10 cups inclpuding the world cup but im nto mentioned there for some reason :s

You haven't got the deodorant version, have you? Apparently sega put some easter eggs for the "less copyright inhibited people" among us. Release versions of this game are usually bug ridden, this'll not be different this time.

BCLG100
16-11-2007, 14:17
Mines pretty smelly i'll be honest, as in the smelliest as everything was downloaded. For a knock down price. Its a pretty small .rar file tbh for a game :)

Robi D
17-11-2007, 15:36
I guess you get what you pay for ;)

Off the topic sightly is anyone playing the premier league fantasy football?

BCLG100
17-11-2007, 17:34
Nope, never even heard of it.

I don wonder when they'll be updating the FM series, there still using pretty much the same engine they used for CM4 in like 01/02 or something!

Robi D
23-11-2007, 09:23
Hey Simon maybe you should apply for the position of england manager. I'm sure you could do a better job then mclaren [lol]

BCLG100
23-11-2007, 12:28
im tempted.

Shabbaman
11-12-2007, 20:57
I finally got my team performing as I'd want them to perform, but I can't get my main striker to score. It's not as if he couldn't (it's Makaay) or that he couldn't get the ball (enough possession, enough creative players with good passing), but he just doesn't get the ball often enough. Any suggestions? I tried playing him as targetman, but that didn't really work.

Robi D
12-12-2007, 11:53
Depends on a lot of things. What's your formation and does he have any specific instructions.

One thing i have noticed is if you play 2 strikers, one strong the other fast, you make the strong one the target man the fast striker will play off him and collect the flick ons, passes ect.

Shabbaman
12-12-2007, 12:57
That's the general idea of a targetman indeed. I tried that, but it didn't really work. At least I couldn't notice the difference. Or should I set all passes to "targetman" when you play with a targetman? I haven't given him specific instructions (aside from corners etc.) but I think I should (that's why I'm asking ;) ).

I guess he would benefit if I make the other striker the targetman, but that's a young fellow and not very strong. Creative and good passing though.

I play 4-4-2, with AMR and AML with lines backward for 5 players (switching to 4-5-1 with 2 DM and 1 AMC). Works like a charm.

Maybe I'll post some pictures this afternoon. Still have a month worth of Rule The World screenies as well, so chances are pretty slim.

BCLG100
12-12-2007, 13:08
just give him games i spose- sometimes my players go through a dry patch but i let them keep playing, does he have a high finishing skill?

Shabbaman
12-12-2007, 13:36
OK, here are some pictures. First, my lineup:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071212152457_fm08-1.jpg
134.72 KB

My main striker:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071212152643_fm08-2.jpg
135.76 KB

My second striker, falls back to AMC:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Shabbaman/20071212152734_fm08-3.jpg
136.11 KB

BTW, it might look weird to post these pictures during the day, but I can edit my posts without getting the edit-tag ;)

Anyway, feedback is welcome. I've been playing this series for ages, but I must say that aside from scouting I'm not as good at it as I'd like to be. Scoring seems more difficult compared to CM4.

Robi D
12-12-2007, 21:16
Ok i'm a little confused. Makaay got 6 goals in 14 games, Burzanovic has 5 from 10, so thats basically a gaol a game average between the too. As long as the others are chipping in i don't see the problem.

Have you set for some of the midfielders to try through balls often?

Shabbaman
12-12-2007, 21:40
Through balls: mixed, I think. The problem is perspective. It's a good average in the Serie A, but not in this league. Opposition is mediocre at best.

BCLG100
12-12-2007, 22:31
First thing from looking at your lineup is. When your defending thats where your players go. However when you attack the lines indicate where your players ideally should be.

Basically you have two wingers generally going backwards, two inner mids not supporting the attack and a forward hanging back. Basically you don't have any support. Of course sometimes the players will be in different positions.

Also Burzanovic, he's alright but he's not brilliant. Check out players such as- lulinha, guillherme. Guillherme is an attacking mid/forward. Lulinha an attacking mid.

It could also be your supporting players that aren't that brilliant. Wingers need good acceleration, crossing, pace. I like to have a couple of midfielders with really good long shots as well.

When i get home i'll attempt to post my tactics etc.

Robi D
13-12-2007, 07:28
As simon pointed out there is a lot of movement on the players. If your playing a fast direct style players can be caught out of position on the turnover of possesion. The formation as it is suited to a defensive, counter attack style.

With that formation i'd be looking at short passing, medium slow tempo. have at least one of the central midfielders looking at through balls often (high passing, decisions and creativity stats) and the winger crossing often.

As it is the central midfields moving back is fine but i would leave the wingers and strikers where they are so they can be in place ready for a quick counter attack. I'd also have the width set to wide. As a further attacking option you could set both your backs to do forward runs often to increase the midfield support in attack.

Shabbaman
13-12-2007, 10:48
Well, the lineup works great, I'll try the wingers without falling back though. I'll up "through balls" to max, perhaps set "shoot from distance" lower: my midfielders shoot a lot, but it all goes to waste (despite reasonable long shot stats). Somehow they shoot when the players are outside of the box, but when they're in the box they pass back.

Shabbaman
14-12-2007, 16:00
I had already scouted the guys BCLG mentioned, but I'm not impressed by Guilherme (from Cruzeiro, if we're talking about the same guy). His first touch is good, but his finishing is a lot poorer.

Also, what do you consider good enough for crossing?

BCLG100
14-12-2007, 18:16
Here's my tactics.
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2171/mytactics1xl5.jpg

And here's what i tell my team to do
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9946/tactics2ye5.jpg

Normally i have the left and right winger switching postions, in this case its torje and ronaldo. Depending on who im playing i also have the attacking midfielder (right now tevez) and either the forward (rooney) or the attacking mid (lulinha) switching. It throws there markers off etc and so means more space.

And here's Rooney
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8606/wayneyq9.jpg

Heres goals per game isn't brilliant- i think every other. Tevez has 21 in 27 games but been injured recently. However its not that important in my team for the goals to come from the attackers. In my 41 goals so far this season i've scored 100 goals and only conceded 27.

in the league i've scored 20 goals more than the nearest person and have the third tightest defence.

BCLG100
14-12-2007, 18:18
About the crossing thing- its normally dependant on whether you have players with good heading abilities. Your two forwards have 15, 13. Probably best to try and play it in to feet.

As a rule though if im looking for a specific player i expect them to have all the stats i want over 15 at the very least, then work up from there cutting players out which i dont think are good enough.

Shabbaman
14-12-2007, 20:19
Who do you play as targetman, Rooney? What's important for a targetman, strength?

BCLG100
14-12-2007, 21:22
I completly forgot i had targetman switched on tbh, i used to use it when i had Saha in the team, good strength, first touch, anticipation, heading. it seems to be working fairly well with Tevez or Rooney occupying that role.

In my game guilherme is keeping tevez out of games sometimes so maybe its because he evolves over time, definatly one for the future- he's worth at least 20 million pounds now.