PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Beta Testers of conquests:

DrAlimentado
07-06-2003, 14:18
We have a kindly offer from a conquests beta-tester - canucksoldier, in this thread (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=477&REPLY_ID=4978)- to pass on our suggestions for pbem play through him.

So my plan is to collect our thoughts on what suggestions we have as pbem players and present them as a coherent whole ;)

I'll stick my ideas down about how pbem setup could be improved later as I'm a tad busy right now, just thought I'd get this thread up and running in the meantime.

anarres
07-06-2003, 14:51
3 very obvious things (that I am sure are wanted by the community):

- Ability to start in one mode and switch (hotseat to PBEM for example).

- Game replay for both players.

- Proper turn ordering. Players turns should be done in order so there is no advantage on AI deals for player 1.

Skyfish
07-06-2003, 18:56
Difficulty level setting ?

Lt. Killer M
08-06-2003, 08:14
diplo fixes. that one goes with the proper turns.....

which might include finally ending the weird ways turns are handeled all over. Remember the 'late players can rush units after flip and get them before other player moves'-bug?

ProPain
12-06-2003, 10:47
fixing the bug that causes crashes when you declare war
fixing the bug that keeps popping up diplo screens with antother human player at the start of the turn when you're at war

Cartouche Bee
20-07-2003, 16:27
PBEM- Diplomacy Bug - [Keep the deal turns balanced, in sync]

It seems that due to the way the deals wind down or the way the are started (initiated), that at times, the deals go out of sync. For instance you may go into the diplomacy screen for another human and click on the active deals and see that your opponent shows 5 turns of peace left and you show 6 turns of peace left. As the deal ends for the last player the system handles a number of things incorrect like declaring false wars and then game miserable crashes that require a reboot of the computer system.

It also seems that if you have an existing out of sync deal that any/some new deals trigger the memory bugs that occur and cause a game/system crash.

Black_Waltz
24-07-2003, 23:24
Actually seeing movement would be nice. Or at least something which could draw your attention to changes since the PBEM was last in your hands. I mean it is kinda iratating getting a turn and seeing several of your cities have just been taken... And you don't know how.

anarres
24-07-2003, 23:57
Guys, I have been recommended by someone at CFC to Breakaway Games!

I am (as soon as my NDA is sent) a beta tester for Conquests! :D

I guess you can tell me what to complain about now... [rolleyes] [lol]

Black_Waltz
25-07-2003, 01:11
*jealous*

WildFire
25-07-2003, 01:16
quote:Originally posted by anarres

I guess you can tell me what to complain about now... [rolleyes] [lol]

Ditto.

col
25-07-2003, 09:15
Me too ;)

Aggie
25-07-2003, 09:16
Same for me, no news on it yet though :( And where we supposed to tell ?

ERIKK
25-07-2003, 09:53
quote:Originally posted by anarres

I guess you can tell me what to complain about now... [rolleyes] [lol]They asked/invited me too but I turned them down coz I did not wanted it to mess up the several PBEM's I currently play. I thought I would have to completely stop them or slow them down... => dunno yet how much time this beta testing takes, all I know is that you need to have time and the resources... (another pc/environment for the new version)

ps: I thought this was to be kept on a low profile?

ERIKK
25-07-2003, 09:56
Fuck!!!

Did you guys all sign up????

Maybe I should sign up too then, we can beta test instead of play PBEM...

digger760
25-07-2003, 10:00
are you sure its genuine, it seems a little late to be starting testing now.

hope you never gave them a home address for the NDA.

digger760
(paranoid)

Aggie
25-07-2003, 10:07
@digger: I believe it's genuine, because I trust the source. @ERIKK: I had the same thoughts, but I will see how I manage.

Anyway, we indeed weren't supposed to talk about this like we are doing now :(

col
25-07-2003, 10:15
I believe its genuine too. We can test the pbem parts together!

I dont think theres a probelm discussing the fact that someone has asked us to join the testers - only about the contents of the beta. besides I havent signed a NDA yet ;)

ERIKK
25-07-2003, 10:21
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

@ERIKK: I had the same thoughts, but I will see how I manage.I guess C3C will affect some of the CIV3/PTW files. Methinks you need a dual boot or a second pc if you want to play your PBEMs on a daily basis and do the beta testing too...

Still, I feel stupid now as I felt responsible for keeping my PBEM's alive, not knowing how beta-testing would affect them... But now I hear at least three of my PBEM partners did sign up and know of one more PBEM player in a game with me who said yes...

Aggie
25-07-2003, 10:26
ERIKK: I already have a dual boot with PTW 1.14 and 1.21. I guess that it possible to have three games next to each other.

Besides, I think one will be able to still play PTW, just like it is possible to play vanilla civ while ptw installed.

And also: I think that no-one can complain about my dedication towards PBEM. I believe that I have been playing very regurlarly and I will do so in the future .

ERIKK
25-07-2003, 10:47
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

ERIKK: I already have a dual boot with PTW 1.14 and 1.21. I guess that it possible to have three games next to each other.

Besides, I think one will be able to still play PTW, just like it is possible to play vanilla civ while ptw installed.

And also: I think that no-one can complain about my dedication towards PBEM. I believe that I have been playing very regurlarly and I will do so in the future .
- Maybe it is possible to do a dual boot like the version dual boot. If drivers are changed by installing C3C, version dual boot will not work I think. You do not know that yet, and remember it is a beta version ;)
But I meant system dual boot on a/your pc here.

- They claim something like that, 3 different programs, all independent from each other.

- [lol] I am not complaining about your dedication! I do complain about my own reasoning in this matter. I guess I am scared off to fast! [blush2]

Anyway, I emailed again to sign up (if still possible). Maybe we can test the PBEM in C3C together ;)

anarres
25-07-2003, 11:18
I got the impression that they didn't want another wave of applications. I am not facilitating that in any way since I am not naming who recommended me nor giving my breakaway email address away.

Whould some of you rather we all tested Conquests in private and pretend to each other that we know nothing about it? [scratch]

Aggie
25-07-2003, 11:53
@anarres: you got me there [lol]
I was awaiting the moment that I got the beta and then tell others.

anarres
25-07-2003, 12:20
Well my NDA has been sent, so I am sure I will see some Conquest action soon. [groucho]

WildFire
25-07-2003, 19:53
They wanted more public beta testers.

Aggie
30-07-2003, 09:14
People that were worried about my time for PBEM's: I don't appear to be one of the lucky ones that was choosen to beta test [cry]