PDA

View Full Version : Finding players, here or the other site

mauer
04-11-2007, 15:56
I've got to say that I truly despise "players" from the other site. I've had 4 PBEM's go kaput because of whiny quitters. I'm also involved in 2 Pitboss games where "players" from the other site just don't understand that this is a game and get intensely involved in the drama of it all. In one, Failedreality's pitboss, I've been labeled "evil Mauer Warmongerer" (actual quote) because I don't want to lose the game!?!? These two idiots keep sending me nasty PM's because, from an objective perspective, if I didn't go to war then I'd have no chance of even being a part of the game much less win it.

I really have no chance of winning the war I'm in with them, but started it because I'd rather try than flounder about in it. If you've read my BTS spoiler, imagine a starting position worse than that one but pressed in by 3 sides by 3 different nations.

Anyways, that's why from now on, if you don't have a forum here at CDZ I don't plan on playing a game at all with you. Most of you guys seem to understand that first priority is to win the game, melodramatics can be left at home.

mauer
04-11-2007, 15:57
Oh yeah, this is just a rant, cause I'm frustrated with these "players". :D

BCLG100
04-11-2007, 15:59
goon

mauer
04-11-2007, 15:59
I hate you, you "player" [:p]

Beorn
04-11-2007, 16:07
The first priority is not to win the game, it's to revert back to C3C.

But yeah, I've been lucky with players so far from the other site (with most of them, I played several SG's in the past) though there are weirdos. I think there should be invitational CDZ games for these people we liked in MP's and that aren't yet on this board. It would maybe sound elitist asshat-ish, but then we have an utopia to preserve.

Matrix
04-11-2007, 16:34
Hear, hear. ;)
(Not your first sentence though, Beorn! [:o])

Robboo
04-11-2007, 17:39
I love players that quit because the war or game is lost. Especially when they are your teammates. I have a list of those players now. Only will I play with them in pitboss if they aren't hosting. They are my first targets if they are next to me..break their will and its smooth sailing. I have had PBEMs die because they were getting their butts kicked. "I dont have time any more"...screw you butt head. you got time enough to post 25 posts a day of inane opinions in OT but not time to press enter while i hammer your cities. Rot in hell.

mauer
04-11-2007, 19:38
I will have to add this disclaimer here, I do have a pitboss that I bailed to AI in. However, the asterick is that I was a fill in on a team game, and after about 5 turns or so it got pawned off on me. Other than that, I have never bailed on any MP game.

killercane
04-11-2007, 21:26
quote:Originally posted by mauer

I will have to add this disclaimer here, I do have a pitboss that I bailed to AI in. However, the asterick is that I was a fill in on a team game, and after about 5 turns or so it got pawned off on me. Other than that, I have never bailed on any MP game.

If it was a pbem we would have conceded! Thats another reason why pitboss is great. I dont think anyone would hold that against you.

mauer
04-11-2007, 22:26
HA! I didn't mention any names *whistles and walks away slowly*

akots
04-11-2007, 23:14
Actually, at Civ3 times, I've had a pretty good luck with PBEMs at CFC. Most of them got finished eventually. Loulong and me, we just kept bombarding the lazy guys with PMs and eventually had been able to find replacements for them in a couple of games. But playing something which has no more than 5 ppl in it is always a good idea. Games of 6+ die pretty easily.

There had been examples of games dying here as well and quite a few. Although it is much better of course compared to random CFC thread game.

Beorn
05-11-2007, 02:56
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

Hear, hear. ;)
(Not your first sentence though, Beorn! [:o])

So was it the asshatism, the elitistism, the utopia, the self-preservation or the 'reward candy' game you are talking about? Because I would have thought it was about C3C [karate]

If there is such a game it could be some kind of initiation rite, like how fast can you (the rewardees) beat a barbarian stronghold (filled with some of us asshats) in a modded map rigged for the barbs to lose over time. This way there would be bragging rights over time for who beat who and did it fastest in the beat-the-barbs mod challenge...

IMIO this would be worth making, just for the testing process so we'd have the bragging thing already started around here...

romeothemonk
05-11-2007, 03:51
I need no reason to brag!! My greatness transcends that of you mere mortals!!
Tremble in fear at my greatness fools!!!

Matrix
05-11-2007, 04:41
I have absolutely no idea what you mean, Beorn! Must be me, not having English as mother tongue.

Robboo
05-11-2007, 05:09

I have absolutely no idea what you mean, Beorn! Must be me, not having English as mother tongue.

I agree...except the english part.

mauer
05-11-2007, 10:06

Seriously, I don't get it either. I invision a drunk man with an intent look on his face as he struggles to work out the details to some master plan to rule the world that only he and his dog can understand [lol]

Darkness
05-11-2007, 10:41

Seriously, I don't get it either. I invision a drunk man with an intent look on his face as he struggles to work out the details to some master plan to rule the world that only he and his dog can understand [lol]

Smart dog then, I reckon... [goodjob]

Beorn
05-11-2007, 15:38
Alright, so let's blame it on my second-hand english then.

So let's start at the beginning: I assume the butchered sentence is the last one of my last post, and I assume that you were saying hear hear to the invitationnal game.

I also consider there to be 3 types of 'standard' match-ups right now: 1v1 on a small map (thinking BC's chariot rush here), 1v1 on a standard map + AI (I remember Whomp vs Barbu) and massively multiplayer FFA on standard+ map (like Klammi or Civivor)

What I was thinking is that there could be a new kind of match-up, on a CDZ-made mod. We could engineer a map so that there is a strong, fortified barbarian stronghold, where barbs have a large extra cost for techs (thus will lose over time) and a couple small nations around it that try to take over, with lighter tech costs. All around this would be at faster-than-fast speed.

This map would be a cookie for the newcomers: they'd get to play as the civilized world conquering the CDZ barbarians and win over time, whereas it wouldn't be boring for us either way since there'd be a lot of wars and tactics to play in a big castle and everything. And then, people could brag about who won against who in how many turns in the barb challenge. Romeo is counted out since he brags it out already without us giving him further incentive [smirk]

Clearer?

IglooDude
05-11-2007, 16:39
quote:Originally posted by killercane

If it was a pbem we would have conceded! Thats another reason why pitboss is great. I dont think anyone would hold that against you.

If it was a PBEM it wouldn't have run long enough for you to have conceded. Hell, 18 players? It would have lasted 3 months, two turns into it, and died. [lol]

And I don't know if I've told you Mauer, I certainly don't hold the punching-to-AI in the teamer against you, given the reasons. However, the "initial" members of the two bailed teams could certainly have handled it better.

And I'm getting better as far as identifying who is going to be a quick bail or disillusioned loser/dropout in the pitboss games. My next venture (a tournament) will account for them simply because they're pitboss games - if someone doesn't play their turns for a full 10 turns (without notifying me), they forfeit. Nice and simple.

Matrix
05-11-2007, 17:02
Yes, clearer. It's a funny idea, Beorn. :) But don't ask me to be the barbarians. [tongue]

It reminds me of a Civ2 scenario I once made: Dinosaurs II (http://www.straland.com/Civ2scenarios.html).

mauer
05-11-2007, 17:06
Much clearer to me. I might do it also, but not as the barbs ;)

mauer
06-11-2007, 22:42
And the CFC'ers strike again! I'll not explain cause it's debatable....none the less, they're boners.

mauer
09-12-2007, 18:55
Any CDZ pitboss games planned for the near future? I'm down to one pitboss on the Civ Ladder League forum. Was thinking about finding one on the CFC site, but really don't want to....not that desperate yet.

Robboo
09-12-2007, 19:27

And the CFC'ers strike again! I'll not explain cause it's debatable....none the less, they're boners.

nah explain...

mauer
09-12-2007, 20:38
I'd rather not, I'll just say "Sonnybonds". FR is having problems with him as well in the same game. Needless to say, I'm rooting for you in your matchup with him.

Robboo
09-12-2007, 21:51
He is down to maybe 10 turns in that game....his own teammates want him dead....

failedreality
10-12-2007, 02:28
Yeah Sonnyb is a whiner.. Down to cap and 1 city..

Robboo
10-12-2007, 05:02
down to one city in our game... he does have many troops left.

After BC killed his capital he told me I should be ashamed of my team for playing so unsportsmanlike...despite a restart to favor him. I sent him a PM that stated... you have one city left and you will be free for Christmas... I didnt think " scoreboard " would have translated well.

Robi D
10-12-2007, 07:09
Unsportsmanlike? How did he come to that conclusion?

I think a "look at the scoreboard" would have been appropriate in your response :)

Matrix
10-12-2007, 12:09

Any CDZ pitboss games planned for the near future?
No, but I'd be happy to participate in a new one! :)

barbu1977
10-12-2007, 13:38

Any CDZ pitboss games planned for the near future?
No, but I'd be happy to participate in a new one! :)

I'd like to join one also.