PDA

View Full Version : Rule The World II (BTS) (full)

Matrix
17-10-2007, 19:37
<s>Who'd like to join in a second game on the world map?</s>
This game is full!

I already did some heavy editing of the map we're currently using. Main changes so far: tundra area in Russia changed, more grassland in Africa, lots of mountains changed in hills (including the one separating North and South America, some in the Kaukasus, and some in eastern Africa), Bering passage and 'Greenland passage' available.

Biggest concern is Maya and Khmer: it's hard to give them a proper start. I think I'm forced to let the Maya start somewhere in Colombia, otherwise they're just too close to the Aztecs. And I'll have to rape reality to give Khmer a proper start.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/20071019155330_RuleTheWorld2.jpg
87.08*KB

[u]Players</u>
1. Matrix
2. akots
3. Beam
4. BCLG100
5. grahamiam
6. socralynnek
7. Robboo
8. Dandridge
9. Robi D
10. nitro1974
11. IanDC
12. Darkness
13. NHJ
14. killercane

But I think it's best to divide the civs randomly. And that players of the current Rule The World game do not play as the same civ.

Here is what I have so far. If you want to edit some yourself, please say so, so that I can upload the latest file first, otherwise we're doing twice the amount of work.

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif RuleTheWorld2.5.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/2007102015528_RuleTheWorld2.5.zip)
44.39KB

akots
17-10-2007, 19:57
IMHO without looking at WBS:

1. You can split Rome into Spain (Portugal, France) + Germany.
2. Mongolia can be placed slightly to the west from its current location more closely to Altai.
3. It is quite possible to include Vikings. They have some room up north for 3 cities provided they are given strategic resources.
4. May be place England in Australia?

This means 17 civs total.

Beam
17-10-2007, 19:58
Like we discussed list night imo we can solve the issue for the Khmer by replacing India with Persia. Australia is an option for a 14th player with either the Dutch (discovered it) or the English (colonized it). Imo this may be a better option than forcing 4 players in the Americas.

I'm also investigating to host the game on a 1GB, 1.7GHz laptop which is doing nothing else atm. Good machine but its graphics capabilities suck but afaik that isn't an issue for running a Pitboss. :)

Also investigated the option to allow any leader for a Civ and it seems it is very well possible in BtS. :)

Last but not least we discussed the required mods to the map in the current RtW Open Thread and there seems to be consensus on most of the following:

quote: I can finally run BtS from Linux so I plan to start what I had in mind for a while and that's a nice Earthmap for a BTS Pitboss. I'd like to get feedback from my to be killed fellow opponents first so therefore a little threadjack.

Modding the current Earthmap including:
- Make all continents similarly habitable. So reduce large mountain, desert, tundra and jungle areas in size. That's Rockies, Andes, Himalaya, Amazon, Sahara, Congo, Kalahari, Middle East, Central Asia, SE Asia, Indonesia, Australia, Northern Polar region and some other areas.
- Balance resources in location and abundance giving all players similar chance of access to lux, health and main critical strategic resources.
- Enable early contact and trade between all continents. That's basically enabling coastal trade over the Bering Strait, North Atlantic and Central Atlantic.
- Be a bit more flexible in which Civs start where for European and Middle East civs of which there are a lot and and have a greater distance for civs that would start to close to each other (like Mongolia and China )

Imo the main things that need work to make an even better Pitboss Earth map. Anything else?

BCLG100
17-10-2007, 20:03
if your going to be having more than one euro civ you need to edit in all the resources beam took out, theres only one source of everything which means if your not germany your pretty much screwed.

akots
17-10-2007, 20:34
quote:Originally posted by BCLG100
... theres only one source of everything ...

[lol] Quite a phrase you have here. [lol] Indeed, there is everything, unfortunately with just only one source and obviously one source cannot be enough. [lol] BTW, you have 2 sugars and 2 wines there. Also, iirc, more than one oil, coal, and iron and also iirc more than one uranium.

grahamiam
17-10-2007, 21:04
Is there room in the BTS version for new players?

Beam
17-10-2007, 21:23
quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

Gram added :)

Guess current players are:
- Matrix
- akots
- Beam
- BCLG10square
- grahamiam

BCLG100
17-10-2007, 21:34
quote:Originally posted by akots

... theres only one source of everything ...

[lol] Quite a phrase you have here. [lol] Indeed, there is everything, unfortunately with just only one source and obviously one source cannot be enough. [lol] BTW, you have 2 sugars and 2 wines there. Also, iirc, more than one oil, coal, and iron and also iirc more than one uranium.

You got the jist :p i don't have nearly as many resources as robi does!

socralynnek
17-10-2007, 22:44
I am interested as well...

Beam
17-10-2007, 23:06
quote:Originally posted by Beam

quote:Originally posted by grahamiam

Gram added :)

- Matrix
- akots
- Beam
- BCLG10square
- grahamiam
- ynnek

Robboo
18-10-2007, 05:49
also interested...

Beam
18-10-2007, 08:08
Robboo added :)

- Matrix
- akots
- Beam
- BCLG10square
- grahamiam
- ynnek
- Robboo

Dandridge
18-10-2007, 19:00
I'm interested, too.

Matrix
18-10-2007, 19:12
I've added the Vikings, and did some resource balancing. That does mean we've got 14 slots now. Please let me know what you think of this map. :)

Download Attachment: icon_paperclip.gif RuleTheWorld2.1.zip (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Matrix/20071018191137_RuleTheWorld2.1.zip)
44.28*KB

8 players so far, so 6 more to find.

grahamiam
19-10-2007, 02:51
Chinese and Mongols are very close (4 tiles). Not sure if that's a good thing as thier culture will be pushing against each other from the start.

Seems like we have lots of crabs, but no fish :)

It's a very nice map.

killercane
19-10-2007, 04:21
I would suggest moving the Mongols up north as well. Zulu still has some FP tiles that are desert rivers, and have a pretty poor start still compared to Bull, Rome, and a couple others. The American SW has some of those river deserts, and could really use less hills and more grass/plains tiles that can be cottaged/irrigated. Even grass hills would be a bit better. As it is now it is pretty harsh territory, and would spur a race between Bull and the Aztecs for settling.

Aztecs have a rough start beside the Maya. If they do not research archery first they are dead against the Holkans. And even then Maya can just choke them to death so they can never research to Jags (commerce poor land to start with). Can Aztecs be moved north?

India looks like it could use one more viable city spot. If the crabs by Morocco were moved a tile or two south, the Malinese iron city would be a viable city location.

Matrix
19-10-2007, 15:52
New version.

- Changes some mountains into hills and some hills into flat land in Nevada.
- Moved Maya to Colombia/Venezuela. [sad] Upgraded his starting location and restored Yukatan's original situation.
- Moved Mongols to northwest of Baikal Lake. Upgraded his starting location.
- Trimmed down India's starting location.
- I did [u]not</u> change desert tiles next to a river in Ethiopia and Kazachstan into floodplains, because it is visually obvious that it is in fact desert. Besides, those areas really are barren wastelands and adding floodplains would rape reality even more.

Robi D
19-10-2007, 16:04
I'm interested naturally :)
But i definately don't want to be China.

Beam
19-10-2007, 17:44
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

- I did [u]not</u> change desert tiles next to a river in Ethiopia and Kazachstan into floodplains, because it is visually obvious that it is in fact desert. Besides, those areas really are barren wastelands and adding floodplains would rape reality even more.

Imo it's these kinda tiles that can be upgraded without losing feel for an Earth map. Same for mountain ranges like Rockies, Andes and Himalaya. Replace the mountain tiles on the edge with hills and it becomes more playable while maintaining an Earth feel.

nitro1974
19-10-2007, 19:41
I'm interested in joining, as Matrix might have guessed already...

IanDC
19-10-2007, 20:35
I'd like to be considered for this too, please.

Matrix
19-10-2007, 20:50
quote:Originally posted by nitro1974

I'm interested in joining, as Matrix might have guessed already...
Who the hell are you? ;)

Welcome Nitro and IanDC! :D

Darkness
19-10-2007, 21:00
If there's still room?
I got BtS for my bday yesterday, so I'd be a real n00b, but who cares, right?

Matrix
19-10-2007, 21:12
There is still room, Darkness! :) A friend of mine, NHJ, likes to join as well, so I'd like to reserve a spot for him. I thought we'd have trouble filling all the places, but it seems it'll work out just fine. Only one slot left. :)

New version, 2.3: no more desert tiles next to rivers. Western USA improved.

NHJ
19-10-2007, 21:22
Hey everyone!

Yeah, I'd love to join in. You can never play too much civilization :)

BCLG100
19-10-2007, 22:59
anyway to get an updated look at the world map? (after yous have changed it!)

Matrix
19-10-2007, 23:26
I'm continuously updating the first post with the latest map, BCLG100. [crazyeye]

Robboo
20-10-2007, 00:48
I like the random don't get same civ thing.

BCLG100
20-10-2007, 01:02

I'm continuously updating the first post with the latest map, BCLG100. [crazyeye]

my bad....

Robi D
20-10-2007, 05:27
I think its looking good. I don't have any problems adding some food to desert locations. In real life these areas would have it brought in from other cities which you can't in the game.

Also for a 15th spot you could put the english in australia, then they can sail half way around the world discover the britsh isles and send their convicts there[lol]

Call it reality mirrored[beer1]

killercane
20-10-2007, 05:52
I will sign up for the last spot. What about tech trading on/off?

Beam
20-10-2007, 10:25
Made a study of the map and it looks much better already than the original one. The reduced mountain ranges are a good example.

Couple of suggestions:
- Some civs like Maya, Inca, Khmer have a lot of jungle around them and only remote locations for cities without jungle chopping. Partly replace with forests.
- Start location for the Inca is worse than the current game.
- Make a N/S passage in the Central Himalaya.
- Sahara is improved but still poor, couple of plains near oasis will improve.
- Partly replace jungle with forest in Central Africa.
- Move starting loc of India 5 tiles or so W.
- Move the Tundra line a bit up N.
- Australia requires improvement if a Civ is starting there.

Didn't check resource balance in detail but it still looks some areas are overcrowded.

Matrix
20-10-2007, 14:09
Does every spot on the Earth have to be habitable? Not IMO.

Khmer can settle in Australia, so India doesn't have to move and the English don't have to start there. I already added lots of resources to Australia. The land is fertile enough for five to six cities. And Australia really is mostly desert.

Concerning improving other parts: please look at the potential land a civ can settle on. It doesn't matter when there's a lot of tundra if the civ close to it (Russia, Mongolia) already has lots of fertile land at it's disposal.

Jungle chopping costs a lot of worker time, but the result is grassland. I'd love to trade places with you on the current map, Beam!

Having said that, I will take a look how to improve Inca's starting location.

We have 14 players! :) Two things before we start:
1. Find a consensus about the map.
2. Have Beam get pitboss to work.
How's it going on that part, Beam?

Beam
20-10-2007, 14:38
Well, the Pitboss runs very well on the laptop and I can access it and play over my LAN but last time you tried you did not get through.

Hostname = beam.homelinux.com
Host IP = 83.161.37.29

An earlier version of the RtWII map is running atm and I'll be working this afternoon and if needed tomorrow to get it accessable over the Internet.

Things done so far:
- Forwarded UDP 2056 on the router to UDP 2056 on the laptop (router is a Speedtouch 780)
- Put the Pitboss exe on the exception list in Zonelabs.

What else needs doing?

Everybody is welcome to try to connect and please post the result here.

@Matrix: main reason we are doing these edits is players get more equal chances while maintaining a good Earth look and feel. In the real world wood from the tropical rainforest is considered to be among the best so imo it is only logical to get some chopvalue there by replacing jungle with forest. ;)

Matrix
20-10-2007, 15:20
Still unable to connect. The game doesn't even see you.
I also can't ping you. ("Request timed out.")

I've updated the map. (v2.4)
- Inca's starting location is improved.
- Added some hills around Mali (one on flood plains!) to give hime some more production (which killercane seriously lacked).
- Australia is more fertile (more plains/grassland, less hills/mountains).
- Removed deer and dye from China. (There's still deer around Vladiwostok and dye on Japan.)

But it's very hard to get a proper insight in the distribution of resources. I hope someone else would like to take a look at that. I think strategic resources are ok though.

Robboo
20-10-2007, 15:27
I agree with Beam on the jungle forest thing. Just give them some reasonable chops for pre-iron chopping.

socralynnek
20-10-2007, 15:36
can't connect either.

Matrix
20-10-2007, 15:51
Alright, the Amazone and Congolean jungle has got forests within. That'll be v2.5.

Beam
20-10-2007, 16:13
I jsut switched off the firewall in the router, please make another try to connect.

I'll be leaving in 20 minutes or so, if it doesn't work now I'll continue tomorrow.

Robi D
20-10-2007, 16:41
The map looks good.

I did notice one thing, when egypt builds its capital it starts unhealthy, so the max pop is 3 without health sources.

akots
20-10-2007, 19:17
Can't ping either, everything times out. Can you use default windows firewall instead of zone alarm? I was using ZA and always had to turn it off while playing MP games despite that everything was added everywhere.

NHJ
22-10-2007, 00:27
Yeah, turning off or uninstalling zonealarm is probably a good idea. Make sure Windows Firewall also has the right exceptions for Pitboss.

Beam
22-10-2007, 20:06
Time for some more testing:
- Shut down Zonelabs.
- Windows Firewall is off.
- Disabled Firewall in the router.
- Enhanced portforwarding in the router to both TCP/UDP 2050 - 2060

Please post if you tried and succeeded or not. Afaik there is little more I can do to give access.

Hostname = beam.homelinux.com
Host IP = 83.161.37.29

Matrix
22-10-2007, 21:42
I was able to log in this time. :) Note: make sure to turn on simultaneous moves when we start.

I myself have got the firewall on the router turned off; just ZoneAlarm is on.

And I turned on "no tech brokering" when making the scenario, as a suggestion. Good idea? IMO it should be either that or no tech trading at all.

Finally: does anything need to be changed to the map? Otherwise we can start! :D

Beam
22-10-2007, 21:50

I was able to log in this time. :) Note: make sure to turn on simultaneous moves when we start.

I myself have got the firewall on the router turned off; just ZoneAlarm is on.

And I turned on "no tech brokering" when making the scenario, as a suggestion. Good idea? IMO it should be either that or no tech trading at all.

:) So it is possible to connect! I leave it without the firewall upcoming 24 for ppl to test and switch on Zonelabs tomorrow for a final technical test. Don't like to stand with my fly open.

What's the difference between "no tech brokering" and "no tech trading" precisely?

About clock settings: the Pitboss seems to add about 2 hours to 24 on its own so I'm considering to start at 22 hours turntimer.

Last but not least. Now it is possible to connect to my gear we can start the civ assignment process. How about leader-of-choice btw? It is a BTS feature where everybody can choose any leader with their Civ. :)

Matrix
22-10-2007, 22:05

:) So it is possible to connect! I leave it without the firewall upcoming 24 for ppl to test and switch on Zonelabs tomorrow for a final technical test. Don't like to stand with my fly open.
You could turn on ZoneAlarm now, so that I can check whether I can log in now.

What's the difference between "no tech brokering" and "no tech trading" precisely?
With "no tech brokering" you can only give the techs you invented yourself, but not those you gained from others.

Last but not least. Now it is possible to connect to my gear we can start the civ assignment process. How about leader-of-choice btw? It is a BTS feature where everybody can choose any leader with their Civ. :)
That doesn't have my preference. First of all one of the funs of playing the world map is that civs are on their right spot, and that should include leaders. Secondly, it'll be very confusing. Thirdly, civs are randomly assigned to players; we're already taking into account they're fairly balanced, and so are the leader traits.

Beam
22-10-2007, 22:20
Zonealarm switched on, same player shoots again.

BCLG100
22-10-2007, 22:43
I don't mind who i get tbh, i'd even be fairly happy getting rome again but i'd prefer not too.

i'd prefer no tech trading personally.

akots
22-10-2007, 23:24
Would we still have 2 settlers on start?

akots
22-10-2007, 23:26
BTW, if there is an option to pick up the leader, I'd rather choose something. May be Native American Sitting Bull. He was a nice guy and the place is not too far south. I think I'm developing a liking for the tundra recently.

Matrix
22-10-2007, 23:53
I can still log in, Beam. :)

Been thinking about it, I too have a pref for no tech trading at all, after all. The amount of showtime in the current game is pretty low and even if we only have "no tech brokering", development will still go much faster, making war less likely and a space race more likely.

Furthermore I don't think it's a good idea to have the same civs as in the current game.

BCLG100
22-10-2007, 23:59

I'd like that, id also be partial to maybe a worker as well but thats just me :)

I was also going to be picking native americans if we could...

akots
23-10-2007, 00:08
The thing is that we've got a lot of space still and going for a war is extremely painful process and many ppl like to build up a bit before doing that. So, if we have 2 settlers, 2 warriors, and a worker this makes an OK setup for no tech trading and would give us a dynamic game. Otherwise, the early turns would be just as boring as they usually are in Civ4. If we do start with only a single settler and a warrior/scout, then, there should be some grace peace period (15 turns) and tech trading better be enabled otherwise tech pace will be extremely slow early on. Tech brokering can be turned off certainly in any case. To compensate for later game periods when tech rate seems to be a bit too fast, we can crank up difficulty may be to Monarch or even Emperor. Just make sure that nobody drops off to AI. With BTS IMO AI is playing quite weakly compared to Warlords and Monarch is apparently no big deal. Noble is certainly too easy if somebody drops off. May be Prince is optimal.

akots
23-10-2007, 00:09
... I was also going to be picking native americans if we could...

;) I was the first and you can pick Aztec [evil]. But seriously, I don't care as long as it is not too far south. Which adds Rome, Mongolia, Vikings, and China as a second choice. Although Vikings would be boring since in the present game, Russia has settled Scandinavia, so that would leave Sitting Bull as first choice with Kublai Khan, Qin, and Augustus as the second tier.

Matrix
23-10-2007, 00:43

Sorry, forgot to answer that, but yes. At least, that's how it is on the map we have now.

akots
23-10-2007, 02:22
Ok, I've connected but only to the domain name and not to the IP number address. Looks good, I mean the Native American place. There is corn and marble and dog soldiers can last until macemen and probably longer on the defensive. And totem pole is at least somewhat useful since culture expansion is required anyhow. Oh, and Sitting Bull is just plain gorgeous is his war outfit. I'm not a big fan of protective but having archers with 4 promotions actually is a nice early safety boost. Just in case somebody is tempted.

Matrix
23-10-2007, 02:24
If you think Sitting Bull's start is too good, I'm open to suggestions how to lower it reasonably (i.e. not changing the lake region into desert or tundra).

akots
23-10-2007, 03:18
I think it is an OK start, not too good and not too bad. Worse than Damascus (9 resources in one city which is a record for current RtW game) but better than Russia. ;)

Robi D
23-10-2007, 04:08
If we are picking civs then i would like the Vikings. Zulus or India as second choices.

Also i was able to login without a problem:)

Robboo
23-10-2007, 05:39
i thought we were doing random?

if not India, then vikings then rome

NHJ
23-10-2007, 05:51
I've successfully logged in as Egypt. I prefer random assignment though.

IanDC
23-10-2007, 08:37
Logged on ok. I'm also in favour of no tech trading at all.

I took Mongolia, one thing I had a bit of ghost map down in SE Asia.

Darkness
23-10-2007, 08:57
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

i thought we were doing random?

I thought so too?

BTW: What BtS version/patch are we using? Considering I've had the game for 5 whole days now, I am not entirely up-to-date on those things...

Beam
23-10-2007, 10:28
I'm running the latest patch, 3.13 iirc. And will only patch up if I'm sure everybody can.

BCLG100
23-10-2007, 12:19
im patched up, not sure whether or not i can play older patches, i'd prefer random jobby.

Matrix
23-10-2007, 12:32

I'm running the latest patch, 3.13 iirc. And will only patch up if I'm sure everybody can.
Why wouldn't they? And if they can't, they should. And we shouldn't be playing with an older version because 'they' play with an illegal version.

Besides that, there's nothing that can't be solved with GameCopyWorld. :D

Robi D
23-10-2007, 12:39
If its random i am happy to do the draw. I have a pen, paper and two hats ready to go :)

grahamiam
23-10-2007, 14:52
I tried to post last night but got blocked. I logged in a-ok, all is well from here. Random is good, and 3.13 till the (hopefully) new patch is released.

Dandridge
23-10-2007, 16:29
Logged in fine. I prefer random civs.

Beam
23-10-2007, 18:09
The testgame successfully connected to Civstats: http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=660

What are we waiting for other than random assigning Civs? How to assign leaders where there are multiple options perhaps? Imho this can mean some players get an advantage over others who can't choose.

What's the status of map edits, finished?

Matrix
23-10-2007, 18:53
For each player I'll pick a random number: minimum = 1; maximum = number of available civs. For each civ that is taken or already played by the current player in the current game the random number will be increased to obtain the elected civ.

1. Native Americans
2. Aztec
3. Maya
4. Inca
5. Zulus
6. Mali
7. Egypt
8. India
9. Khmer
10.China
11.Mongolia
12.Russia
13.Vikings
14.Rome

Matrix: no Zulus =&gt; so random number between 1 and 13. If it's &gt;=5, it'll be increased by 1.
2, so that's Aztecs.

akots: no Aztecs or Russia =&gt; so random number between 1 and 12. If it's &gt;=2, it'll be increased by 1. Then if it's &gt;=12 again.
7 becomes 8 =&gt; India.

Beam: no Aztecs, India or Inca (2, 4, 8)
<s>2 becomes 3 =&gt; Maya</s> That ain't fun. [rolleyes]
6 becomes 9 =&gt; Khmer

BCLG100: no Aztecs, India, Khmer or Rome (2, 8, 9, 14)
7 becomes 10 =&gt; China

grahamiam: no Aztecs, India, Khmer, China (2, 8, 9, 10)
6 becomes 7 =&gt; Egypt

socralynnek: no Aztecs, Egypt, India, Khmer, China (2, 7, 8, 9, 10)
4 becomes 5 =&gt; Zulus

Robboo: no Native Americans, Aztecs, Zulus, Egypt, India, Khmer, China (1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10)
2 becomes 3 =&gt; Maya

Dandridge: no Maya, Aztecs, Zulus, Egypt, India, Khmer, China (2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10)
5 becomes 12 =&gt; Russia

Robi D: no Maya, Aztecs, Zulus, Egypt, India, Khmer, China, Russia (2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12)
6 becomes 14 =&gt; Rome

nitro1974: no Maya, Aztecs, Zulus, Egypt, India, Khmer, China, Russia, Rome (2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14)
1 =&gt; Native Americans

IanDC: no 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14 (only 4, 6, 11, 13 left)
2 becomes 6 =&gt; Mali

Darkness: no 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14 (only 4, 11, 13 left)
3 becomes 13 =&gt; Vikings

NHJ: 4 and 11 left
1 becomes 4 =&gt; Inca

That leaves Mongolia to killercane.

I hope you agree to the fact that I redid Beam's civ-assignment, because Maya didn't exist in the current game, and he's got all Maya land in the current game already, so IMO it would be too much of a repeat.

To summarize:
Matrix: Aztecs
akots: India
Beam: Khmer
BCLG100: China
grahamiam: Egypt
socralynnek: Zulus
Robboo: Maya
Dandridge: Russia
Robi D: Rome
nitro1974: Native Americans
IanDC: Mali
Darkness: Vikings
NHJ: Inca
killercane: Mongolia

BCLG100
23-10-2007, 20:41
Ok, so do we get to pick leaders?

I'll take qin if so, looks like it'll be a race between me and kane to kill each other.

Beam
23-10-2007, 20:42
I feel honoured to play a BtS Civ. :)

Imo what's left are the leaders and map edits unless everybody is ok with the latter.

socralynnek
23-10-2007, 21:39
Ohhh, Zulus....would be the last civ I picked...so this is a big challenge!

akots
23-10-2007, 22:57
Yes, same for me as India. ;) I guess Matrix just reading my thoughts.

Also, do I need to start near BCLG in every game?

Robi D
23-10-2007, 23:27
[lol] So me and Simon swap places.

Well looking at the roman leaders i will take JC.

akots
23-10-2007, 23:50
I'll take either one, Asoka or Gandhi. It does not matter much IMO.

killercane
23-10-2007, 23:53
Ack, what bad traits (though Mongols is much better than Mali). I guess I will take the Imperialistic one, Ghengis I believe.

May the Mongolian Hordes rule in Beijing before the birth of Christ!

grahamiam
24-10-2007, 03:51
I'll take Ramesses for my leader.

BCLG100
24-10-2007, 14:51
Mali's start is still absolutly balls, it may even be worse than it was before- can we not smack a few hills down there maybe an oasis or two? realism can only go so far.

Beam
24-10-2007, 15:36

Mali's start is still absolutly balls, it may even be worse than it was before- can we not smack a few hills down there maybe an oasis or two? realism can only go so far.

I'll have a look tonight.

Darkness
24-10-2007, 20:40

I played a practice start as the Vikings just now and I noticed two things

1. Christianity was the first religion founded??? In 3680 BC? That can't be right...

2 I have to say that I find the map very unbalanced.
Two examples:
- All the Vikings have is furs. No other luxury is reasonably attainable playing against human players. The health resources are OK, but the Vikings are basically pinned down and can only expand in one direction, which will be heavily contested. And there's almost nothing there.
- Strategic resources are extremely unbalanced. Now I only looked at the Vikings and their nearest neighbours, but all the Vikings have is iron. Rome has copper, iron and horses within 6 tiles of Rome. Russia has horses and iron inside the fat cross and a copper in northern siberia, which can be easily blocked from everyone else.

Not trying to bash the map-modders here, but maybe some more work on Europe could be done?

Beam
24-10-2007, 20:55
If Matrix didn't change resources in Europe it probably is the same as when I edited Europe down in resources for the prevrious game. Will have a lookie. Otoh you can connect furs pretty soon and you got a couple to trade.

Meantime the starting area for the Mali has been improved significantly and imo they stand a chance if they play smart. Also replaced couple of jungles with forest all around the world. Russia complained about lack of copper nearby last game plus it is contested now by Mongolia so that is corrected. Inca cap location is made similar to the current game. Saw one or two deserts near rivers &gt; floodplains (hard to see if they are corner tiles). And a couple of other minor edits like adding a plain over desert for spreading irrigation.

Last but not least put a sheep in New Zealand. Can't think of New Zealand without sheep. ;)

EDIT: Choose religion is on so you could even choose Islam with the first religious tech. [whatsthis

Darkness
24-10-2007, 21:05

Otoh you can connect furs pretty soon and you got a couple to trade.

Only two, so not much to trade. And besides. Who am I going to trade it to? Russia's already got enough, and IIRC Rome can also claim one fairly easily.

Last but not least put a sheep in New Zealand. Can't think of New Zealand without sheep. ;)

I thought that was Oz? The one with the sheep, kangaroos and rabbits?

EDIT: Choose religion is on so you could even choose Islam with the first religious tech. [whatsthis

Ah, right. That must be new in BTS then, right?

Beam
24-10-2007, 21:28
Vikings also improved with some luxes and also soom food sources as that wasn't looking to good either imo.

The map now enables trading over coast with all players if you made contact so don't worry about Rome and Russia being your only option for trade. I've added a third Fur btw and iirc you can trade 'm with Rome.

Will post the last WBS soon and plan to start in a couple of hours.

Darkness
24-10-2007, 21:37
Thanks. :)

Beam
24-10-2007, 21:57
quote:Originally posted by Darkness

Thanks. :)

Welcome. The thread in PBEM Open Forum has been updated with the latest WBS.