PDA

View Full Version : Double Moving

mauer
13-10-2007, 00:17
Are having DM rules better or worse for gameplay?

mauer
13-10-2007, 00:20
Also, discuss this question. Say you go second in a two man war, but there are others in the game as well. First person goes, you go, but the others have not. Is it then ok to log into the game on a new turn out of turn to do things such as: promotions, worker actions, get screenshots, curiosity. I'm guessing that logging in multiple times, for long periods of time, is not cool. Anyways, discuss.

BCLG100
13-10-2007, 00:33
I'm really not sure what my opinion is on this anymore.

akots
13-10-2007, 00:46
Voted the last one about bogeyman eating.

Matrix
13-10-2007, 00:46
The question is "better or worse" and I can answer with "yes" or "no". http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/what.gif Since "better" and "yes" are both positive in a sense I'll answer this with "no".

The gameplay is made for turn based play. The fact that you can move your catapults and bombard, move your grenadiers and attack, or land your troops and attack immediately after ruins the gameplay as it's almost impossible to defend yourself against it.

Besides that, in pitbosses, the one who has the most time on his hands will prevail, not the one with better tactical skills. In online MP, the one with the lowest ping wins, at least if a city build screen doesn't flash up when a new turn starts. And it's nervewrecking. I'd play a RTS game if I wanted that.

mauer
13-10-2007, 00:50
Echo Matrix, and I don't really like online MP much either. That's why I only played my Command and Conquer a couple times.

IglooDude
13-10-2007, 00:54
Can you edit your poll question? Better yes, or worse yes?

I dislike DM rules, but that could be at least partly because as a game admin I find playing referee on them to be a royal pain in the ass.

BCLG100
13-10-2007, 01:04
and lets be fair, you host pretty much every pitboss game going!

Shabbaman
13-10-2007, 11:38
DM is stupid. It was never in the original (SP) game, so to me it's against the spirit of the game. It turns the game into a " who logs in first/last game" (or who lives in the better timezone, who gets out of bed earlier, who isn't away for the weekend), and I don't like that. I have the same issue with simultaneous moves: it makes the game some form of dexterity game, like a RTS. If I wanted to be the quickest to select units and attack with them I would play starcraft instead of civ.

Rules against DM would slow down the game as well, so that's not that good as well.

IglooDude
13-10-2007, 13:01
Thanks mauer.

I concede that if DM is allowed, I have absolutely no compunctions about using it. If the game rules define it as "dishonorable" (which they've done in one game I'm in), then I don't, same as if the rules simply disallow it.

I personally prefer to play in games where it isn't allowed, because I don't like trying to deal with employing or defending against DMs any more than anyone else. Perhaps I should start pushing my games to have them be dishonorable rather than a cheat per se?

Beorn
13-10-2007, 15:00
I really enjoy RTS and the nervewrecking there, but this is much worse: you don't play real-time as fast as you can, you have to actually wait for a fast draw kind of duel, every damned turn. CIV is not built for real-time.

Maybe if there was a, say, 3-4 hours margin during which you can't move at the beginning and end of every turn, it'd be a bit better but even then, it'd be in favor of whoever is in the right timezone during that turn. Might slow down the game though, like every other solution to DM problems.

killercane
13-10-2007, 16:40
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

DM is stupid. It was never in the original (SP) game, so to me it's against the spirit of the game. It turns the game into a " who logs in first/last game" (or who lives in the better timezone, who gets out of bed earlier, who isn't away for the weekend), and I don't like that. I have the same issue with simultaneous moves: it makes the game some form of dexterity game, like a RTS. If I wanted to be the quickest to select units and attack with them I would play starcraft instead of civ.

Rules against DM would slow down the game as well, so that's not that good as well.

I agree. You do feel guilty using it but sometimes you are at an extreme disadvantage if you dont.

Whomp
13-10-2007, 18:19
I don't like double moves. As Matrix said those with the most time get the benefit. What I think is fair is a timeframe say at the 20 hour on the clock. That gives the attackee time to respond but not delay the game.

Oh and I eat boogers.