PDA

View Full Version : Yeah Chicago!

mauer
01-10-2007, 22:28
Congrats Chicago! The Cubs are in the post season, and since I've got no other favorites in I'll root for ya [cheerl]

barbu1977
01-10-2007, 22:31
IIRC, Whomp will ask you to root against them.

Tubby Rower
01-10-2007, 22:31
The funny part about this thread is that Whomp isn't a Cubs fan... He's a Sox fan. I'm the Cubs fan. [:p]

sz_matyas
01-10-2007, 22:36
Don't worry, the Cubs still have three rounds to blow it. On the other hand: Go Rockies

mauer
01-10-2007, 22:42
Whomp doesn't like the Cubs? Oh, he's one of them

Whomp
01-10-2007, 23:52
Cubs blow. I'm looking forward to all the girls in bars though. [:p]

failedreality
02-10-2007, 04:13
For sure Sox over Cubs.. blah.

socralynnek
02-10-2007, 08:48
I prefer Socks over feet...SCNR (I don't even know which of these strange American sports you are talking about, I guess, Baseball, but...the only American sport I really know something about is spamming)

Tubby Rower
02-10-2007, 13:09
Well the Rockies won in a thriller. There were questionable calls by the umps both ways. What's amazing is that after 162 games and plus a play-in game for 12 innings these two teams (Padres & Rockies) were tied. And so it begins .... any guesses on how quickly the Cubs will be eliminated? I'm guessing that they'll end up losing to the Phillies in the NLCS 4-2.

and yes ynnek, this is baseball... the hardest game in the world to master.

Mistfit
03-10-2007, 03:47
you play golf tubby?

romeothemonk
03-10-2007, 04:06
Steroids make golf that much easier. Although they may start screening for them.

Cubs fans are basically self absorbed drunks and losers. The good thing is that they are completely unable to link past events with current events, thus allowing you to dupe them again and again.

Plus they are really gullible. If you find a hot chick with a Cubbie jersey, you can pretty much get her to do whatever you want.

Plus with football starting, who cares about baseball.

One of the best things about being a new dad is sitting on the couch or beanbag chair holding my son while watching football till my wife flips out, then I get to keep watching cause I am taking care of my son. It is great.

mauer
03-10-2007, 04:35
I agree actually, football is here so shut up about baseball already.

Tubby Rower
03-10-2007, 13:45
@ mistfit, No I don't play golf. I tried a few times and figured I could get decent at it if I put time & money into it. I had neither, so I stopped playing

@ romeo, yeah it's nice to sit on the couch and have your kids there enjoying sports with you.

Beorn
03-10-2007, 13:49
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower
I could get decent at it if I put time & money into it. I had neither, so I stopped playing

[rotfl]

Whomp
04-10-2007, 01:54
The game is on late tonight but have a lot to do at work tomorrow so I think I'll try to find some baby bears tomorrow night...good night to be out I'd think.

Robboo
04-10-2007, 05:47
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

I'll try to find some baby bears tomorrow night...

AT your age isnt that illegal...

BCLG100
07-12-2007, 03:41
So i was reading an article in GQ magazine in the train on the way home the other day, it was entirely about Chicago- quite interesting and stuff but it got me wondering, have you been to Charlie Trotters whomp?

apparantly they do awesome steaks! it's also meant to be one of the best restaurants in the world apparantly.

Whomp
07-12-2007, 06:40
I have been to Trotters. Holly taught one of his kids so we got pretty good treatment. I'm not sure about steaks because it's a prix fixe menu. What's interesting about Trotter is how many other chef's he's spawned. There's a restaurant a block from my house that is really awesome run by one of his ex chefs.

Simon if you come to Chicago I'll take you to Trotters. How about that? I have to say I think chef's Rick Bayless (Topolobampo) and Grant Achatz (Alinea) are even better. There's other restaurants like Everest and Tru that I haven't been to that are supposed to be incredible.

As far as steaks go...there's plenty of those in Chicago. My favorite is The Chop House....saw Ditka and his honey last time I was there. [:p]

Here's a article about some of Chicago's best chefs including Charlie Trotter. From what I've heard he's quite a ball buster in his kitchen.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/November-2006/Chicagos-Best-Chefs/

BCLG100
07-12-2007, 13:16
Alinea was also mentioned as was a place called 'blackbird'? been to there? the article was really interesting and pretty to the point. Mainly just going on about how most chigoans are very friendly but also that racism was still a pretty big thing there, dont know if thats true?

Whomp
08-12-2007, 23:36
I have not been to Blackbird. Chicago is a friendly city (midwesterners in general) but the racism comment seems odd since there's so many ethnicities here.

Darkness
09-12-2007, 10:14

Chicago is a friendly city (midwesterners in general) but the racism comment seems odd since there's so many ethnicities here.

IMHO racial diversity is not a preventive of racism.
Rotterdam is the most racial diverse city in the Netherlands (just over 50% non-native people) and there is still racism here. Sure, it's a minority that is racist, but they are here...

BCLG100
09-12-2007, 13:37

I have not been to Blackbird. Chicago is a friendly city (midwesterners in general) but the racism comment seems odd since there's so many ethnicities here.

when im back at home ill try and find the quote in the mag

Whomp
09-12-2007, 17:14
I suppose you're right M but I've never found the city to be outwardly racist. Maybe because I went to school with such a diverse group I don't notice it. Until I got to college I didn't know there was such a thing as an anti-semite. My guess is there's a fair amount of racism between the Hispanic and Polish communities here because they both dominate the trades.