PDA

View Full Version : Pitboss and Proxy

Beam
10-09-2007, 21:03
So one of the goodies I got with the new job is a laptop more or less capable of playing Warlords. :) Don't expect to much, Warlords immediately calls it below specs but who bothers if it runs the game albeit slowly and without graphical glithces. So it potentially solves a part of the problem not being at home for a weekend or so as long as an Internet connection is available. :)

So far so good but the company has set the computer set up in a way that it goes to the Internet thru it's own network even if being at home for example. Pretty stupid imo because it's their bandwith I'm using while I'm just surfing but that's the way it is. I think because of this I can't connect to the RtW Pitboss. [sad] [rant]

While I'm experienced enough to hack around it one way or the other I'd prefer to find a solution first within the standard settings of the laptop. Some info when I connect from home:
- Have to connect to companies network thru Cisco VPN Client prior to login into XP
- No Firewall running so I assume that part is done on the network
- In Firefox I can see that it connects thru a proxy
- The proxy runs Websense, a thing that blocks access to certain websites. I can't go to CFC for example but CDZ hasn't been recognized by Websense yet.
- Warlords is patched to 2.13.

Hope someone can help or point in the right direction. [scratch]

akots
10-09-2007, 22:23
I'm not sure about that but IMO, there is no way to circumvent this unless you can log in bypassing Cisco VPN. If you are a local admin on that machine (XP Pro I presume?), you should be able to turn it on or off at will during loading of XP locally may be somewhere in control panel or the client software (unless it is permanently blocked by placing all the settings on a remote machine on your company network which you cannot access). Can you actually boot without being connected to the Internet? You then should be able to see what loads at start prior to logon and might be able to turn it off.

I have another VPN client on a home PC to browse through libraries and databases but it runs as a separate program at any time and you can turn it off also at any time. What it does is that it effectively masks your IP to that of the University and once this is done, all traffic to that IP goes through the University proxies and corresponding restrictions apply.