PDA

View Full Version : A new trend in spam

Pastorius
27-08-2007, 21:19
Look at how "newcomers" have posted in old/ancient threads.

Note how they quote the last post in the thread

Then note that at least one of the newcomers have a linky-sig

Coincidence? Hell no.

My theory is that them spambots have taken to a new approach to "faking real posters". Hence the quoting.

Are we impressed? Hell no. Any idiot could make code that has a bot use the quote function of a messageboard, to quote the last poster, and include spam in the post.

Pastorius
27-08-2007, 21:20
http://civ3duelzone.com/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=1213

Ban this sucker

BCLG100
27-08-2007, 22:04
i was expecting graphs :(

socralynnek
27-08-2007, 23:48
Yeah, I guess it is kind of an ELIZA-like program, nothing really new...but so far unknown to spammers...

mauer
27-08-2007, 23:54
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Look at how "newcomers" have posted in old/ancient threads.

Note how they quote the last post in the thread

Then note that at least one of the newcomers have a linky-sig

Coincidence? Hell no.

My theory is that them spambots have taken to a new approach to "faking real posters". Hence the quoting.

Are we impressed? Hell no. Any idiot could make code that has a bot use the quote function of a messageboard, to quote the last poster, and include spam in the post.

The best game foruam on all the worlds...candy is good. Nice forum. Give try.

mauer
28-08-2007, 03:09
I'm a little upset that no one's gotten it yet. I about peed my pants I thought I was so funny.

barbu1977
28-08-2007, 03:21
Nice! I just skipped this thread at first. (Paalikles started thread, I usualy wait a couple post before I dare open them)

Pastorius
28-08-2007, 20:41
Hey, I dont post nasty stuff, do I? [mischief]

Shabbaman
30-08-2007, 20:31
It's bad. When I figure out how to do it, I'm going to upgrade the forum software. Then, if I figured out how to fix the mailserver, and then I can require both email autentication plus manual authentication. That's a bit more work for new members, but we don't get that many that it'd really make a difference for them. But it should stop the spam.

Beorn
30-08-2007, 20:54
I think it's a rather standard procedure now anyways to ask for email confirmation. Plus, we're worth it [mischief]