PDA

View Full Version : CB vs jack merchant *** SPOILER ****

Cartouche Bee
05-06-2003, 17:08
Well I better get a thread started cause we are entering the Middle Ages (turn 110) and things should start happening pretty soon. ;)

I'm the English and Jack is the Russian. (Deity light)

I've already had 3 alliances with AI that were broken early by the AI. I think I've lost about 500 gold (about half what the alliances cost me). The Aztec, Japanese and Americans have all stiffed me on Alliances. The Aztecs are getting theirs now but I 'have reserved some future actions for the Japanese and the Americans.

I think I've just taken the #1 spot on the power chart so I should be able to bully an AI or two in the near future. Plus, as soon as I can end the current war without a rep hit, I will switch over to republic to get things going full tilt. :)

Skyfish
05-06-2003, 17:20
Screeenie please !

Cartouche Bee
06-06-2003, 17:20
Can't remember playing a game where the AI are so belligerent. They are breaking agreements anytime they want. For instance Japan, we sign a ROP, they pay me 60 gold, move into my territory and declare war next turn. I just built Sun Tzu, upgraded every thing I have and think I'm going to just pound the snot out of everything that is on my borders, regardless of who it is.
[aargh][}:)][fdevil][mad][evil][nono][nya]

Skyfish
06-06-2003, 20:40
Screeenie please !

ps : Gotta love it when the AIs piss the dairy farmer off [lol]

Cartouche Bee
07-06-2003, 04:04
Round one with the Japanese goes to CB. :)

As a matter of fact they are willing to sign for peace already, I think not.

Skyfish
07-06-2003, 07:11
Screeenie please !

ERIKK
07-06-2003, 10:10
Yeah!!!! SCREENIE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cartouche Bee
09-06-2003, 17:10
Well, I have secured Sun Tzu (Leader built), Great Library and Pyramids (both by capture). I now have the task of wiping out the Aztecs to prevent culture flips but they are gassed and without resources.

I'm pumping both military and infrastructure now. Next leader goes to FP, if the war ends with the Aztecs without a leader then a hand built FP near the core will be in order.

The Japanese screwed me and if I can tackle them before they get samurai they will be royally mauled, then eliminated.

What kind of screenie? World map?

Aggie
09-06-2003, 17:30
Doesn't matter, just look at what others produce :)

anarres
09-06-2003, 17:42
A pic of your empire and a minimap should do! :D

prettyvacant
09-06-2003, 18:21
Needed from CB:

Power bar, rating of Jacks chances (choose one of: little / very little / snowball in hell), and some private tuition.

Cartouche Bee
10-06-2003, 04:10
Well here is a shot of most of the empire at 320AD.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Cartouche Bee/20036104832_cbvj_320AD_screen.jpg
150.59KB

The power chart.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Cartouche Bee/20036104919_cbvj_320AD_power.jpg
30.81KB

Demographics.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Cartouche Bee/20036104951_cbvj_320AD_demo.jpg
18.83KB

Cartouche Bee
11-06-2003, 20:44
Well this is an example of when the RNG, goes against you.

Just before I went to war with the Japs, a city deposed to them. I lost my flanking force in the flip, my initial attack stalled. then when my back up troops arrived on the scene we made an advance but the next turn the japs took out 4 of my units on a mountain without a loss. Then my small sod, also on mountains were crushed in a single turn, with almost no loss by the japs. Now I have to regroup, make alliances to keep the heat on the japs, who got sam's just as the war started. This set back has basically brought my forces back to about par with Jack's.

The bright side is that I just built Sistine and my FP but it's not looking quite so rosy now. [B)]

Cartouche Bee
20-06-2003, 21:28
Maybe Sky and Rib can take it outside. [deleted the posts from here]

Cartouche Bee
07-07-2003, 21:50
Minor update, the Japanese are history. I'm currently in war with the Iroquois (bought 3 techs from them for GPT before the war but well rep is not a concern anymore and even after that act the Americans accepted a GPT deal, for the Alliance, guess they all screwed me earlier and what goes around comes around [hammer]) and I pulled the Americans into an alliance to maximize the pressure plus keep the Americans tied up into less productive activities.

Metallurgy recently became fairly common knowledge so that means Jack is getting ready to sic his Cossacks on me. Of course, once we all have cavs, I'm sure it will be a match of wills from that point on.

Cartouche Bee
13-07-2003, 16:33
Turn 195

Well, Jack and I are at war now. Jack triggered his golden age by ROPing the Americans. This in turn left me the chance to pull the trigger by making an alliance against Jack with the Iroquois, their first act was to take out his saltpeter colony. :) Hard to make cossacks without it.

Although I declared war on Jack I did not hit him but Jack wasn't to happy and decided to hit me on his next turn. I wasn't too worried, knew I'd take some hits but my advisors had told me that I was stronger and that is a pretty good gauge. This also means that he had to expose his positions a bit. He did take a size 1 city from me but that will be fairly short lived. He also tried to attack one of my main weaker cities but found the defenses to be much stiffer than he thought they would be, you's think 10 or so cossacks could do the job. ;)

I countered and took exposed forces that I could while leaving myself exposed to minimal counter attacks. Depending on what he does next turn, well not really, I'm going to put my MI into action to soften him up and get him reeling, since I'd just as soon burn MI up than pay the upkeep on them at this stage in the game.

This game just when into final rounds mode.

Cartouche Bee
14-07-2003, 16:57
Turn 197

Jack and I signed a peace treaty, he gave me 3 cities (and control of the choke point) for the spice he would lose from the 1 city he was going to give me. We left our fighting at Jack's initial hits at me and my taking of the units that he left exposed. Although, I'm sure the 42 units that I parked at his gates ensured that I meant business.

So, now the push is on for my GA and rails. One more tech and I can build my ManOWar, assuming there are targets, should be a fairly easy to trigger. I'm not sure if I will side track and cripple the Americans now or just leave them on line for some future leaders. I think I'm best to just focus on winning moves than get side tracked into a substantial war against the Americans at this time.

anarres
14-07-2003, 17:09
Yea, souds like a win coming up. What prompted the peace with Jack btw? Why not carry on and raze some more cities?

Can we have a map here too perhaps? ;)

Cartouche Bee
14-07-2003, 18:07
anarres, I never did actually take one of Jack's cities by force, only threatened. My military advisor had me pegged as stronger so I assumed that I could really make some trouble for Jack, more than he could for me, when Jack did start turning up the heat he was feeling strong (and in GA)but never checked his advisor to scope out some sort of strength relationship. (EDIT: Jack and I were on line at that time the war got heated and I tried to get him to hold off the attack against me at the time but he has cossacks so felt he could muscle me, I asked him if he checked his military advisor, he had not, I assume that he did and then continued anyway, I did my good neighbor routine bu alerting him to the situation before he commited to his attack) I believe that Jack should have secured his part of the panegea before tangling with me but never underestimate a surprise attack on the opponent. The reason for peace was to allow me to get my GA, care [soldier] for the Americans and drive on to steam, I feel much better when I can defend my empire by rails. ;)

I'll post a screenie next time I play a turn.

Cartouche Bee
15-07-2003, 03:30
880AD, power @ world map

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Cartouche Bee/200371532939_cbvj_830AD_power.JPG
100.35KB

Cartouche Bee
16-07-2003, 15:29
Well, I only have about 8 turns left in my peace with jack and still no GA. Hoping for it next turn, but things have not gone to well. I think that even with all these wars I've only had 2 great leaders all game, I recently got one when I took New York and had to make a very tough decision.

1. If I made peace with the Iroquois I could get Music Theory and rush Bach's which would trigger a GA for me, cause I've captured wonders to qualify now.
2. Build an army to help with my confrontation with Jack.
3. Move my palace.

I will not be able to take out the Americans from the continent so culture flips become a real problem at the distances of my current Palace to the American capitol. My FP was hand build and build in a pretty good location so my corruption should not be overwhelming back in my original core. I decide to move my Palace to Seattle, to fight corruption and build a new core during the GA.

I was surprised at how much my overall productivity went up, I honestly believe that the program has some bugs when it does it's calculations, specially when you have a palace or FP close to a coast. I moved my palace to an entirely undeveloped area and got about a 25% overall production increase, my original core actually now has reduced corruption in the outlying areas, it's actually kind of crazy but turns out that I made a good move if I can rebuild my forces during my GA and get steam before too long, I'm hoping for steam right about the time my treaty with Jack ends.

Cartouche Bee
17-07-2003, 17:06
Well I finally got my golden age and it was a nail biter, my ManOWar went after an Iroquois carvel and I lost 3 hit points and then the Iroquois lost 3 HP and sank, whew.

From the GA and the recent palace move my income has almost doubled, more than 2000 income per turn now. I'm researching ToGravity which Jack already has cause he is building Newton's. Catherine is still wearing MiddleAge garb so Russia can only beat me to the Industrial age by a turn or 2 at best but they are scientific so I'll likely drop a tech. I can only hope that Russia draws Medicine as a free tech. ;) I'll be watching for a clothing change in Russia to signal when they get this advantage. Russia's GA will be ending soon so I'm sure that one way or the other they will beat me to steam, but that just makes it cheaper for me to research, next. ;)

We seem to be currently back to par on the military front since the advisor calls us average, I was dropped down to weak at one point during my American assault and once I saw that I signed peace with America so I wouldn't slide off the pace of Russia too quick.

I do have Leo's (captured from America and will get my 8th lux next turn) and that should provide me some extra spark from my golden age to that I can upgrade all my units through to rifles unless I skip that and go for replacement parts but I suspect I'll do the safe path and then press on to replacement parts as best I can.

Since I have pyramids and quite a few little cities I should be able to double my worker force just as I get to steam and get that all important railnet happening, along with some work on my key cities.

At some point Jack and I should be having some pretty prolonged wars but I don't think we will wait until modern times to face off.

I'll post a new world map when I get to the Industrial age.

Cartouche Bee
18-07-2003, 20:16
Well steam is a couple turns away now but another hard decision is required. To win the game I need replaceable parts so that I can take advantage of my GA and Leo's, to provide me with superior ability to upgrade to infantry and artillery. Normally I would go for scientific method to get TOE and 2 free techs but I actually have to research 3 techs after steam and build the TOE wonder to do that. Therefore I will surrender that possibility to Jack and go straight to replaceable parts, this route only requires 2 more techs after steam.

Once I get Replaceable Parts I should be able to upgrade units about 3 times as fast as Jack due to the GA and Leo combo. I'm not entirely sure I can beat Jack to Replaceable Parts but it is my most direct line of play at this point. Once steam is discovered I will have to leave my iron hooked up and I can build catapults (saltpeter is hooked on demand as required for upgrades) and pikemen to increase the volume of units that I can work on upgrading once I go to full military mode.