PDA

View Full Version : Shabby stuff goes here!

Shabbaman
09-08-2007, 08:53
With this post I've reached the magical number of 5000 posts. To mark this milestone I made this blogthread, like some of you already have.

Let me start this thread by saying that while 5000 posts may seem a lot, it took me four and a half years to get there. Anarres almost got there in a year and a half, and I have little doubt Propain could've outspammed me if he hadn't had this invasion of little propains in his house. For me, these two are still the top posters, and it's a real pity they don't post here that often any more (or don't post at all). But I can understand how real life can catch up with you, cutting in your civ and forum time. My work takes most of the available hours as well, unfortunately.

Besides all this, the fact that I have more posts than Killer makes me feel like I've spent too much time here. Luckily I can console myself with the simple fact that he easily outspams me if we combine CDZ's and CFC's postcounts. Heh [:o)]

I'll make some time available in the future to add some rants to this threads. For now I want address something that some of you might bother as well: spambots (the real ones, not bclg), site design/content and the lack of vB. We've talked about this a lot, and for a while it seemed like Meli (with the aid of dr. A.?) would rework the site. Somehow I have the idea this plan was shelved, which bothers me. I'm going to look for some people who could work on this transition (because I can't do it myself, not even if I wanted to). Real life people, that I can punch if it's taking too long. Heh.

[punch]

BCLG100
09-08-2007, 14:30
Think ID is the biggest spammer of us all if you include here and cdz.

akots
09-08-2007, 19:46
I'm having trouble getting even to 3 thousand. So, [goodjob] and [beer1]

mauer
09-08-2007, 23:09
Spambots suck

Eat at Joes... http://www.eatatjoes.com

Beam
10-08-2007, 01:09
For a couple of weeks now I'm back at my familiar 4th spot here with a lot of quality posts (ahum) but some indeed are catching up fast.

Very valid points you make about the site Shabba. I also recall your posts about half a year ago (iirc) adressing the lack of anything happening here. Right now I see a lot of healthy activity. Ok, we're not the leading Civ site but that was never the intention imo and we get enough recognition anyway.

Also quite a number of people (including myself) have been very active here, disappeared and reappeared. Most important imo those people got a very warm welcome back ERIKK being our most recent lost son (read that chapter in the Bible if I sound confusing). Of course I regret as you do we haven't heard shit about anar for a long time now, we also know about PP and Mel. In short imo this site has more than enough reasons to exist and florish.

Technical issues. Let's put it very plain. Most if not all of the shit works about 24/7 with some occasional outages. That's damned pretty good even more considering technical support is poor saying it nice. And imo that is a risk we are facing and also imo we need a person that can both improve running CDZ on a near daily basis (I mean technical) and make valid suggestions how to upgrade.

romeothemonk
10-08-2007, 01:21
Hey, I like the blog thread. I have moved back and forth in the frequency of posts and activity on the site. This is still one of my favorite destinations on the web, and I hope I can continue to contribute somewhat to it.

BCLG100
10-08-2007, 01:43
This is more often than not the first webpage i open up if im just idly browsing. I just wish more people would post damn spoilers! or just comment on mine more :)

romeo did you and sz manage to sort out the patching thing yet?

mauer
10-08-2007, 01:50
Aye BC, although I'm a low man on the totem pole post-wise, I can verify that this is my homepage. I try to post at least once seriously and once stupid a day. Unfortunatly I'm averaging about 1.7 stupid and 0 serious per day. If I add "seriously" at the end of each post does that change the ratio?

Shabbaman
10-08-2007, 08:13
Seriously Mauer, I doubt it.

quote:Originally posted by Beam

I also recall your posts about half a year ago (iirc) adressing the lack of anything happening here. Right now I see a lot of healthy activity.

I have no complaints about the number of daily posts. I think the overall problem with the site is that we don't have a lot to offer to new members, and that they layout makes it hard to figure out what is worth your while. Face it, the front page is crap.

Pastorius
10-08-2007, 21:40
Tubby, Krys and Killer all have passed me, and yet I am the one they called a spambot back in the days.

I guess I can explain it in parts of:

I now have more rewarding work
We are expecting (the hotel unit has a pretty large belly now)
I am trying to not spend as much time on the computer at home, since I spend so much time on the computer at work (actually doing work btw [:p] )

Beam
10-08-2007, 22:09
quote:Originally posted by Shabbaman

Seriously Mauer, I doubt it.

quote:Originally posted by Beam

I also recall your posts about half a year ago (iirc) adressing the lack of anything happening here. Right now I see a lot of healthy activity.

I have no complaints about the number of daily posts. I think the overall problem with the site is that we don't have a lot to offer to new members, and that they layout makes it hard to figure out what is worth your while. Face it, the front page is crap.

I could make a very long post here but putting it simple there is a lot of outdated shit on the frontpage indeed and what I'm missing is an item about the values of CDZ in general. I mean to say many ppl have registered here, the ones that feel CDZ as one of the places they will participate actively seem to easily pick up those values. Spamming included. [lol]

Shabbaman
10-08-2007, 22:24
Well, I can't update the front page anyway...

Beam
10-08-2007, 22:40

Well, I can't update the front page anyway...

Could you check permissions?

Whomp
11-08-2007, 20:18
I love you guys, man with all 2085 posts. [cry]

Truly, I'd like to expand discussions of all sorts since I think there's a lot to learn from talking to you guys across the Atlantic especially since it would consist of more adult conversation than the other site. I hope you feel some of us that have come on board since Propain, Meli and Anarres days have made a contribution.

Kingreno
12-08-2007, 07:48
Worst. blog. ever.[smirk]

(+1)

Melifluous
13-08-2007, 12:25
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

I hope you feel some of us that have come on board since Propain, Meli and Anarres days have made a contribution.

I love being talked about in the past tense :)

I still lurk around ya bugger.

And Shabba, I've tried to get onto the server and find out whats up, but it's exceeded it's remote connections so wont let me. :(

I've texted Propain to ask him to try and reboot the thing and I'll PM you my RDP access username and pword.

Sorry for not being around more, but these days I am forced to lurk like Col.

[melihere]

Shabbaman
13-08-2007, 13:12
quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

I love being talked about in the past tense :)

Just think about when the last time was you made a useful contribution to a discussion [lol]

but it's exceeded it's remote connections so wont let me. :(

What does that mean? I've run the installation check, and it works now. Fine with me, so far.

Shabbaman
05-09-2007, 22:15
Well, I've just finished deleting all the spambots. All that's left are some "n/a"/deleted accounts, that can't be fully deleted because they have posted threads that are in the spambot trashcan. Apparently, you can only truely delete members that haven't posted anything. Makes a little bit of sense.

I hope I didn't delete a real persons account. Feel free to make a new one ;)

socralynnek
06-09-2007, 09:04
Oh my god, I was deleted.

No wait, I am still here.

Mmmhh...

Pastorius
06-09-2007, 21:14
Testing.

Shabbaman
06-09-2007, 21:21
It'd be so quiet around here if I just deleted some more members...

BCLG100
06-09-2007, 21:46
yeah, you spammers!

mauer
06-09-2007, 21:48
Makes me sick

Whomp
07-09-2007, 04:45
Meli's avvie makes threads look weird.

Melifluous
08-09-2007, 01:43
Whomps threads make my Avvie look weird...

[melihere]

PS. I'll resize it just after the forum upgrade...

grahamiam
08-09-2007, 02:32
PS. I'll resize it just after the forum upgrade...
We have a winner!

Shabbaman
29-10-2007, 12:16
The last days I've been ill, so I had the time to play Beyond the sword. My second game. A good start, fast expansion: I couldn't do much else because my capital was unproductive, yet surrounded with floodplains, corn and fish. Miracle gro. So I got 5 very good cities, blocking the Celts. Founded confucianism in a city that was 1 tile next to the celtic border (tbh, it's on prince or something, lame). So. Good.

Obviously no copper. 15 hills, no copper. The hills I've scouted? No copper (although the celts have axes, so there must be some in their territory). Beeline for iron working, already got horseback so I was churning out horsemen. Guess what? No iron. Not even close! I found iron 15 tiles away to the NW, grabbed by Carthage, and 15 tiles to the E... 2 tiles south from the southern celtic border. I miss colonies! When I settled there, the celts attacked in 5 turns.

Blegh.

I like a challenge, but when you have to work really hard to get either bronze, iron or horses, why bother? I've ranted about it before, but I'll just do it again. It was the same thing that turned me off in civ3, and I fixed that by playing GOTM maps. Perhaps I'll have to give the scenario's a try. What I don't like about scenario's is that you don't play "civ", but "col" or something. It lacks the epic feel of civilization. I want to beat tanks with spearmen, and then win with a spaceship. Or something like that. I fear I'm done with civ.

The last few days it's been giving me a headache anyway ;)

socralynnek
29-10-2007, 12:22
Now, that I played a little more BtS, I must say, that I really like it. Yes, some things are quite annoying...especially the AI is quite smart (or so it seems). You always have the possibility to use the World Builder to give you some ressources...

Shabbaman
05-12-2007, 12:23
I've been ill for a couple of days. Again. I sure hope this isn't going to be a recurring end-of-the-month theme. Usually I'm never ill, which makes it even harder this time. And it's pretty boring, I'll be glad if I get back to work (tomorrow, hopefully).

Anyway, monday I continued the game I mentioned above. I got the iron city back, plus a celtic city, I wiped out all invading celtic armies, and got a truce involving some techs plus a sum of gold. All without access to iron, with only mounted warriors, without any losses. Apparently Mauer isn't the only one who thinks he doesn't need to build spearmen ;)

So, war over, I start cranking out knights. And now Hannibal attacks, on the opposite end of my empire. Sigh.

Darkness
05-12-2007, 12:59

So, war over, I start cranking out knights. And now Hannibal attacks, on the opposite end of my empire. Sigh.

But on the bright side:

I like a challenge

Seems like this is a nice challenge? [estwing]

Shabbaman
05-12-2007, 13:02
I think I don't like challenges when I'm sick.

Shabbaman
20-03-2008, 16:07
So, since I'm going for the gold in the category "most useless link of the day": here (http://www.geluids.net/graphs.php?id=mp190) you can see how much noise is made in my office. I'm actually almost sitting on the device, it's only a meter away. Luckily it'll be removed next tuesday, and it won't be bothering me much.

Matrix
20-03-2008, 18:27
Gee, it's getting quiet after 17:30. Fascinating... [tongue]

grahamiam
20-03-2008, 19:45
what is making 100dBA? You guys rockin' out in that office?

Shabbaman
20-03-2008, 20:06
That's the calibrator.

Shabbaman
04-04-2008, 13:36
This week we got the key of our new house, hurray. So for the last two full months we were trying to get KPN to provide us with internet and digital television. After they cancelled our last order for no apparent reason, again, I decided to go with cable. The girl on the phone promised me it would work instantly, so I'm very curious. Very weird, while we were happy KPN customers for many years, everyone advised against the company. Not so strange in itself, because I know they suck [:O] That even a girl working in KPN management suggested that I should go with Casema does seem weird though.

Darkness
04-04-2008, 14:21

This week we got the key of our new house, hurray. So for the last two full months we were trying to get KPN to provide us with internet and digital television. After they cancelled our last order for no apparent reason, again, I decided to go with cable. The girl on the phone promised me it would work instantly, so I'm very curious. Very weird, while we were happy KPN customers for many years, everyone advised against the company. Not so strange in itself, because I know they suck [:O] That even a girl working in KPN management suggested that I should go with Casema does seem weird though.

Ah, KPN digital TV and internet... I know all about that.

My cousin and her fiance live maybe 500 meters west of where I live. I have UPC digital TV, telephone and internet. My cousin has KPN digital TV, telephone and internet. We pay almost the same amount of money each month. I think mine is about 4 or 5 euro's more expensive. My connection works all the time. Literally. I've had one evening in the three years that I have lived at my current address when the digital TV didn't work (but that was scheduled, and we were told a week in advance (something about maintenance, IIRC)). At my cousin's place the digital TV malfunctions about once a month. They've lived there for nearly two years now, so that makes about 20-24 malfunctions.

So, IME KPN sucks. I have no experience with Casema, but I know UPC is good.

Shabbaman
04-04-2008, 14:29
Well, a friend of mine used to work for UPC, so from his experience I can tell you that you are lucky ;) Technically OK, yet an administrative nightmare. I've only had 1 problem with the ADSL ever, and that was when I moved to The Hague. Orange (that leases the ADSL from KPN) forgot/didn't know to assign me a new IP-address. You need that when you move outside your area code area (from 050 to 070).

Shabbaman
04-04-2008, 14:36
Rereading this thread:

For now I want address something that some of you might bother as well: spambots (the real ones, not bclg), site design/content and the lack of vB.

I guess most of you haven't noticed it, but Beam actually made the first step towards our shiny future ;) Thumbs up for Beam. If anyone has a clue how to FTP crap to and from the server let me know, then I'll add you to the tech übernerd subforum (the one without free beer).

BCLG100
04-04-2008, 15:02
can we not all be added anyway or is this to keep it (relatively) clear of spam?

Shabbaman
04-04-2008, 15:34
The last part, obviously.

digger760
07-04-2008, 13:56
I have an ssh client that also comes as a ftp gui for easy file tranfser. Give me a the server name username and password and i see if i can fill up the server for you [evil]

Shabbaman
07-04-2008, 14:04
We already have BCLG filling the server with spam ;)

BCLG100
07-04-2008, 14:12
doffs hat.

Matrix
07-04-2008, 16:24
I'd like to help! I'm also an übernerd!
http://www.straland.com/images/smilies/nerd.gif
I've got some knowledge about forums since I'm running one on my site as well. :)

Shabbaman
02-03-2009, 16:31
This weekend I got so fed up with Team Fortress 2 that I almost started a new game of civ4. I didn't though. I did get tempted to continue a col2 game, but then I remembered the absolute nightmare that game is... so I just played some games of Company of Heroes. Civ is still a lot more satisfying, but it just takes so much time to play a decent map.

Anyway, I did play the civ board game (new version, not that really old one with the text "basic game takes 12 hours to complete" on the box) for the first time this weekend. We played the basic version and despite the problems we had with the rules book everyone thought it was fun. Even my gf, despite that it took her 2 hours to figure out what the objective of the game was. Everyone wants to play the game again, so that's a good thing. We're going to play the extended version next time, which should make the game a lot more interesting.

barbu1977
02-03-2009, 17:12
Anyway, I did play the civ board game (new version, not that really old one with the text "basic game takes 12 hours to complete" on the box) for the first time this weekend. We played the basic version and despite the problems we had with the rules book everyone thought it was fun. Even my gf, despite that it took her 2 hours to figure out what the objective of the game was. Everyone wants to play the game again, so that's a good thing. We're going to play the extended version next time, which should make the game a lot more interesting.

How complex and how long is the game?

My recent board games favorites have been Pandemic and Agricola.

Socrates
02-03-2009, 20:53
Even my gf, despite that it took her 2 hours to figure out what the objective of the game was.

Isn't that to rule the world ??? :confused:

Shabbaman
03-03-2009, 09:36
How complex and how long is the game?

My recent board games favorites have been Pandemic and Agricola.

I doubt you can finish a game in 4 hours. If you get lucky with the dice and your opponents are stupid then you can do a swords rush. The game isn't designed to withstand that.

Isn't that to rule the world ??? :confused:

It's pretty obvious if you ever played a game of civ. You know what girls are like, they think the goal is to collect all the cards with pretty pictures or something.

barbu1977
03-03-2009, 14:50
I remember my girlfriend trying to play RomeII on the PC. See really liked the game until barbarians came in. She shut the thing down and never opened it up again.

Shabbaman
03-03-2009, 16:12
My sister used to play Age of Empires in sandbox mode, without opponent.

Socrates
03-03-2009, 21:14
It seems that some people (read : girls) take video games a little too seriously... ;)

A nice way to explain the goal of the game :
"You collect as much resource as you can, then you build military men (yes, I said you build them), and then you smash your ex-friends to pieces... but with cards."
Nah, I think the card thing may confuse some. :D

Shabbaman
06-03-2009, 18:09
I'm on holiday next week, so you'll have to spam without me.

Shabbaman
30-03-2009, 11:22
The last days I've been ill, so I had the time to play Beyond the sword. My second game. A good start, fast expansion: I couldn't do much else because my capital was unproductive, yet surrounded with floodplains, corn and fish. Miracle gro. So I got 5 very good cities, blocking the Celts. Founded confucianism in a city that was 1 tile next to the celtic border (tbh, it's on prince or something, lame). So. Good.

Obviously no copper. 15 hills, no copper. The hills I've scouted? No copper (although the celts have axes, so there must be some in their territory). Beeline for iron working, already got horseback so I was churning out horsemen. Guess what? No iron. Not even close! I found iron 15 tiles away to the NW, grabbed by Carthage, and 15 tiles to the E... 2 tiles south from the southern celtic border. I miss colonies! When I settled there, the celts attacked in 5 turns.

Blegh.

I like a challenge, but when you have to work really hard to get either bronze, iron or horses, why bother? I've ranted about it before, but I'll just do it again. It was the same thing that turned me off in civ3, and I fixed that by playing GOTM maps. Perhaps I'll have to give the scenario's a try. What I don't like about scenario's is that you don't play "civ", but "col" or something. It lacks the epic feel of civilization. I want to beat tanks with spearmen, and then win with a spaceship. Or something like that. I fear I'm done with civ.

The last few days it's been giving me a headache anyway ;)

Hmm. Once again I'm pretty ill. It started with a soar throat for a week, which I soundly ignored. By saturday afternoon I completely collapsed, and apparently I have the flew. Or some other annoying biological infection. The symptoms are: fever, snot, headaches, snot, coughing, snot, sneezing, snot. The downside of a 4 story house is showing now, by the time I'm halfway up I'm completely exhausted. Thought processes have slowed down to a crawl, writing english is, well, challenging.

Between the snot and the coughing the main problem is that I'm utterly bored. So, by tradition, I started to play civ again. This time it's col2. An hour into the game I noticed that once again all my opponents seem to be building all their colonies around me, while most of the map is empty. I haven't completed many games in col2, but I've started a lot of games. It appears to be (at least, it appears to me) that the AI is doing some stupid Infinite Colony Sprawl, while I'm still setting up my initial colony (well, two of them). I have little workers, next to no income (shipping unprocessed cotton and tobacco, as Stapel has shown in Row The Boat) and no military. The English to the north have four, maybe even five colonies (while I have 5 colonists in total...), the Spanish to the south have 3 colonies and a lot of scouts, and they keep hoarding in treasures that seem to come from nowhere.

This game is dumb.

Shabbaman
14-05-2009, 14:45
Somewhere along the line I missed the opportunity to pass this along, but today a year ago my gf and I got a registered partnership. Which is (apparently) exactly the same as a marriage, with exactly the same ceremony. I'm not a ceremony guy, and the only reason (for me, that is) to our relationship "officially acknowledged" was a legal one. Here in the netherlands there are three options to arrange this, with the third option a legal contract. Marriage and registered partnership are legally the same, with the only difference being that you'd have to register your kid before birth (probably some christian reasoning behind this). We were quite surprised that this registered partnership required witnesses and whatnot as well, but in the end it was a nice day together with our parents, brothers and sisters and their "mates".

The weather was a lot better a year ago btw.

ProPain
14-05-2009, 14:59
Well, happy registered partnership anniversary.

When are the kids coming? :)

Shabbaman
14-05-2009, 15:00
They're not here yet, but we have a cat to practice our parenting skills on.

ProPain
14-05-2009, 15:09

Just remember. Grabbing your kid in the neck to move it through your house isnt considered normal behaviour.l

BCLG100
14-05-2009, 18:05
congrats on the 'registered partnership'.

akots
15-05-2009, 00:01
Was going to ask for pictures but remembered ther were some posted earlier at some CDZ meeting? Or am I wrong?

[beer1]

Aggie
15-05-2009, 09:46
Just remember. Grabbing your kid in the neck to move it through your house isnt considered normal behaviour.l
It isn't????

Shabbaman
15-05-2009, 11:50
Was going to ask for pictures but remembered ther were some posted earlier at some CDZ meeting? Or am I wrong?

[beer1]

Those weren't my pictures, but hey, about everybody else did get married ;) I'll see if I can find a proper image.

[morepics]

Shabbaman
14-08-2009, 19:15
Greetings from Liguria, Italy.

barbu1977
14-08-2009, 19:35
This is where all the spam went!

Shabbaman
15-08-2009, 19:36
Not all of it though, I'm still wondering where the rest of it is. I blame it on the lack of a poll monkey.

Shabbaman
27-08-2009, 21:24
One of my teammates made a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lJsvrjDV0) of me on youtube. Legen... wait for it... dary! A pity the weapon isn't properly rendered.

ProPain
08-09-2009, 04:49
and what FPS is that?

Shabbaman
08-09-2009, 09:52
Team Fortress 2 (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4597).

Shabbaman
21-10-2009, 13:59
Shabba at work:

http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=317&stc=1&d=1256126322

I was doing sound measurements on a ship in the harbor of Rotterdam. This is on top of a 35 meter chimney.

Shabbaman
09-06-2010, 13:37
More work: we are working on the bathroom. Drilling in armored concrete sucks.

ProPain
09-06-2010, 18:44
I know, I still have some blinds that I've tried to put up a few months ago but I;m hitting impenetrable spots in the ceiling every time.

Shabbaman
10-06-2010, 11:11
The problem is that the drain pipe in the concrete isn't deep enough to allow for a 90 degrees bend, and that the hole (where the shower drain used to be) can't be made larger because of the iron in the concrete. Rage-inducing to say the least.

ProPain
10-06-2010, 20:52
can't you make your floor a bit higher or is that already tiled?

Shabbaman
10-06-2010, 21:23
We could do that, but I rather wouldn't. We got another coupling now, this might do the job. And we're getting a plumber.

Shabbaman
10-09-2010, 13:57

Since last month we have another cat to test our parenting skills. The other cat is getting crazy of all the attention she receives... from the kitten. I'm also very sure our other cat never was this hyperactive, it's tiresome.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/144538935.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1284120517&Signature=XTxmvmBAECAbJt1ue2K6BIuP41o%3D

This is one of the sparse moments that she isn't running around like crazy.

ProPain
10-09-2010, 16:12
that pic link isnt working for me and I'm very curious after your description

Shabbaman
10-09-2010, 17:05
I guess the stupid twitpic won't let me do remote linking. Stupid bandwith hoggers. Anyway, I've uploaded the picture of the hairy pussy at CDZ.

ProPain
10-09-2010, 17:10
Mmmm, seems the profanity filter isn't working :)

But cute kitten indeed.

socralynnek
10-09-2010, 17:24
Very cute! And I think we should increase the cat content here at CDZ. At least that's what the C stands for, isn't it?

BCLG100
10-09-2010, 18:11
I'd hazard a guess that the users here play with Cats more than they play civ.

socralynnek
11-09-2010, 09:33
We are sadly not allowed to have cats in our current flat. But we don't have a balcony or similar either.

Maybe next year after moving...

Furiey
11-09-2010, 13:15
I gre up with dogs, border collies to be specific. Unfortunately working all day means a dog is not really a good idea. Parents did get a puppy (another border collie from working sheepdog parents) just before Christmas last year. She's 10 month old now and doesn't stop for a minute. Really hard work but adorable.

I had a cat at college, but would prefer a dog of my own. I'll just have to make do with the horse.

Shabbaman
12-09-2010, 12:31
Well, you can't bring your horse to work either. Unless you're a knight.

Shabbaman
29-12-2010, 15:29
I just build a new computer. As I'm able to post here, most of it seems to work ;) New specifications:

Intel i5 760 (good for gaming, decently priced)
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard (doesn't mean anything to most of you, but this allows me to overclock my system)
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (not the cheapest, also for overclocking)
Scythe Mugen 2 processor cooler (guess what that's for)
OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD 120GB (yes, that's some kind of superpowered hard disk)
Some stuff that I got from my "old" system, XFX Radeon HD 4870 512 MB DDR5 graphics card, two Seagate Barracuda 7200 HDD's of 400GB, a Cooler Master Real Power M520 power supply and an Antec New Solution NSK4000 II case. The thing now runs win7 home 64 bit. If there's anyone interested in buying a E6420 with compatible motherboard and cooler, 2 GB DDR2 and 450W Zalman psu, let me know.

socralynnek
29-12-2010, 15:49
Is it really worth overclocking?

Is the time you gain really worth the possible decrease in life span? I guess, that was different in the good old Pentium 1 days... (which I never took part of, Amiga rules, ahem, ruled!)

I guess, I'll buy new hardware when Civ5 seems to be worth it or Civ6 comes out...

Shabbaman
29-12-2010, 16:39
It's tougher on your system, but the decrease in life span is smaller than the time I'd expect to use the system. I have no idea what the life expectancy is, but as long as you avoid heat stress (proper cooling and cleaning) this could be over 10 years. Even if overclocking would have that, I expect to have a new system by then anyway. But it's not that bad; what's bad for your computer is heat stress. The CPU cooler is enormous, especially when it's compared to the stock cooler. That thing should keep the system at temps very little above room temperature, even with overclock. Besides that, the components are all better than a system that doesn't overclock, so they'd last longer to begin with.

I don't think I'm overclocking right away, as I don't need more cpu power now. But overclocking in a year's time would leave me with a "new" cpu. How would your system perform if it's 1 year younger?

akots
29-12-2010, 18:26
If you have two identical hard drives, you can get them to Raid 0. Also, Win7 seems to be not gentle towards SSDs due to constant drive activity. My laptop almost never goes to sleep on its own. Otherwise, looks quite durable, should be certainly fine for 3 years at least.

Shabbaman
29-12-2010, 19:18
I could put them in Raid I guess, but I need the storage space.

ProPain
29-12-2010, 20:54
This will solve your storage space problem (http://www.staplesofficecentre.nl/technologie/data-opslag/harde-schijven/storecenter-ix2-200d-4tb?r=bf) :)

Slower than internal HD and Iomega is a crap brand imo. But 4TB of storage space will carry you a long way.

Shabbaman
29-12-2010, 21:48
Yes, but paying 300 euro's so I can get slightly faster transfer speeds in a raid setup kind of defeats the point ;)

akots
30-12-2010, 15:50
I could put them in Raid I guess, but I need the storage space.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it won't decrease your storage space, the disks will be running considerably faster and will be in a single volume of about 750Gb. You MB does support multiple RAID configurations (0, 1, 5, or 10) in up to six SATA drives.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3439#sp

Shabbaman
30-12-2010, 20:31
I thought it meant you'd store the data in a duplicate on both HD's, doubling transfer speed and reliability (because you always have a copy).

akots
31-12-2010, 10:38
That is RAID1 that you are talking about, in RAID0 you have 2 disks couple in one volume which improves performance. I have it for four years on my desktop. Performance is essentially doubled (transfer rates are the same but access time is cut in half).

Shabbaman
31-12-2010, 17:43
Hm, I might look into that.

Shabbaman
04-01-2012, 13:13
Today I noticed that after years of inactivity my average postcount per day at CFC dropped below 1. Good times.

socralynnek
04-01-2012, 18:40
Don't let it drop here that low as well...

barbu1977
04-01-2012, 21:19
Considering he is at 2.29 post per day and he joined over 8 years ago, if he stops now, he has until 2020.

That is a lot of doing nothing.

Beam
04-01-2012, 22:54
The only spam-count-way is up.

BCLG100
05-01-2012, 01:21
You do seem to be on a bit of a push for second spot over the past year or so Beam.

Beam
05-01-2012, 01:35
Are you fucking kidding me?

BCLG100
05-01-2012, 01:53
Well I've noticed the number decreasing between us. Maybe it's similar to how PP was bragging about how he was going to catch me up.

socralynnek
05-01-2012, 09:15
Damnm, 1.31 posts per day, I was already higher...

Shabbaman
05-01-2012, 09:59
You do seem to be on a bit of a push for second spot over the past year or so Beam.

It's more that you all should simply post more, enabling me to respond with the kindness that is my spam.

BCLG100
05-01-2012, 18:12
It's more that you all should simply post more, enabling me to respond with the kindness that is my spam.

Everyone has lives these days, you'll notice it is only you and I (kidless) that are persevering the majority of the time!

Shabbaman
05-01-2012, 21:06
I'd imagine one has a boatload of time between changing diapers...

BCLG100
05-01-2012, 23:13
Probably spend that two hours sleeping

Shabbaman
06-01-2012, 09:56
That's the sad thing, picking sleep over spamming your buddies. I mean, I could be sleeping or working right now, but I choose to spam instead. It's a way of life.

Lt. Killer M
06-01-2012, 11:15
bah, whiners.

socralynnek
06-01-2012, 11:18
Sleep is for the weak!

barbu1977
06-01-2012, 15:27
And over rated.

Beam
06-01-2012, 17:42
Thank god it is spamday

Shabbaman
22-01-2012, 12:22
I'm back from a week in Val Thorens. The snow was godly. Now, let the spamming commence.

barbu1977
23-01-2012, 17:38
Now, let the spamming commence.

When are you starting?

Shabbaman
23-01-2012, 18:47
March 2003.

Socrates
23-01-2012, 19:45
I'm back from a week in Val Thorens. The snow was godly. Now, let the spamming commence.

I was at Les Arcs for Christmas, and the wheather and the snow was just awesome. :)

Shabbaman
23-01-2012, 21:55
I think the road from Arcs 2000 was blocked for the whole day, so I am glad we weren't there.

barbu1977
24-01-2012, 15:43
Lucky guys. There has been very little snow around here this year. We even got a few cm of rain yesterday.

socralynnek
24-01-2012, 17:00
And I thought that Canada was full of snow even in so called summer...

Shabbaman
24-01-2012, 19:13
around here

Well, I had to drive halfway through Europe to get there.

Socrates
24-01-2012, 20:14
I think the road from Arcs 2000 was blocked for the whole day, so I am glad we weren't there.

Actually, we go to Peisey-Vallandry, a small station in the ski resort of Les Arcs, which is a nice and quiet place, while still having easy access to all the ski slopes. :)

Lt. Killer M
24-01-2012, 20:48
We had a snowflake today.
Last year, by this time, we were fed up with all the snow.

This year sucks for children.

Shabbaman
05-05-2013, 07:43
Today my little boy is 10 months old. This morning he farted, and then he mimicked the fart by putting his tongue out of his mouth and blowing air out. That's it, my parenthood is complete: there's nothing for me left to teach him.

Well, maybe he could take me as an example and sleep until after five in the morning, but I guess he doesn't see the benefits from that.

Darkness
05-05-2013, 10:44
Well, maybe he could take me as an example and sleep until after five in the morning, but I guess he doesn't see the benefits from that.

That's a long term process, I'm afraid. My little girl is 2 years old and she slept until 5:15 on saturday morning and until 6:10 sunday morning. Progress over a 5 o' clock start every day, obviously, but it's not what I'm aiming for still...

Mistfit
05-05-2013, 12:47
There is light at the end of the tunnel (although the tunnel is really long!).

My son who will be turning 13 will now sleep til 9:00-9:30 in the morning.. my daughter who is almost 9 still is up at 7:00 though.

One nice thing is that you can train them to be quiet when they get up! I actually got to sleep til almost 8:00 last weekend! It was quiet spectacular. :cool:

Shabbaman
05-05-2013, 15:15
That's a long term process, I'm afraid.

He did sleep a a lot longer until the start of march. He overcompensated for summer time, or so it seems.

BCLG100
07-05-2013, 10:26
Christ, I was annoyed when i was woken by drilling next door at 8.45. Looks like kids are very much not on the cards!

Lt. Killer M
08-05-2013, 21:40
Christ, I was annoyed when i was woken by drilling next door at 8.45. Looks like kids are very much not on the cards!
no worries - they make up for waking you early by cuddling you!

BCLG100
17-05-2013, 10:15
no worries - they make up for waking you early by cuddling you!

I dunno, I can get that from the girlfriend. Any other benefits?

Shabbaman
17-05-2013, 11:17
You get a decent excuse to play with Lego.

ProPain
19-05-2013, 09:51
You get a decent excuse to play with Lego.

Hahaha, so true!!

Don't wanna worry you but my youngest is six, still wakes up around 5:30 every day and untill a year ago he also woke up every night between 2 and 4 and paid us a visit then.

Training your kids to sleep in is really hard, in my experience it's much easier to train you wife/girlfriend to get up early with them so you can sleep in. Think about it :D

BCLG100
20-05-2013, 12:02
Do you guys not just give them a bit of rum in the milk?

ProPain
20-05-2013, 15:39

I need all the rum for myself :)

Shabbaman
20-05-2013, 16:49

That only works on British kids.

Pastorius
29-05-2013, 20:58
That only works on British kids.

Give them too much and they end up like BCLG [;)]

barbu1977
29-05-2013, 21:23

I once asked my grandmother if she actually did some things like this. He answer: "Des fois, il faut ce qu'il faut" I would translate that to " You have to do what you have to do"

She nicely did not denied anything while not admitting anything either.

Pastorius
30-05-2013, 22:30
I once asked my grandmother if she actually did some things like this. He answer: "Des fois, il faut ce qu'il faut" I would translate that to " You have to do what you have to do"

She nicely did not denied anything while not admitting anything either.

What she really meant was that if she ran out of Forty Creek, she mixed in some Alberta Premium Dark Horse instead