PDA

View Full Version : Call To Power

digger760
05-06-2003, 10:56
Did anybody ever play this game?

Somebody gave it to me as a present... i played it about 2 or 3 times. never finsihed a game, never got to modern times, never got out of slavery as far as i can remember.

Was it a crap game or was it to slow on my P200Mhz laptop at the time.

I think a bit of both...to much time try to keep my home land secure, never enough time to build any offensize units.

Shabbaman
05-06-2003, 11:25
Yeah, ctp2. Before civ3 arrived. It's a great game.

DrAlimentado
05-06-2003, 13:47
I played CTP2. Good game, but a little 'bloated' imo - huge city radii (4 tiles potentially!) farm and mine improvements x2 and x3, etc. And some good innovations too, like your whole stack fighting together as an army in a combat screen, and public works instead of workers. Definitley worth playing at the time.

I wish Civ3 (so now project this to civ4) had had CTP2 combat, SMAC 3-d terrain and diplo, and a civ3-like interface.

ProPain
05-06-2003, 13:53
I got it for 25 guilders (€11) 2 years ago, thought it would help me thru time untill Civ3. The user interface annoyed the hell outa me. Ended up in the bottom drawer together with Knights and merchants and EMpire Earth that I also bought for the same purpose.

digger760
05-06-2003, 14:02
I think mine was CTP version 1. I liked lots of it, but got bogged down in my own civil affairs.

Public works was a good system, but i also like workers in civ3, they have an affect on tactics in the game.

SMAC ?? Sid Whats his name Alpha Century... for some reason the sound never worked on my old laptop so i threw that game by the way side. I did like the 3d terrain. did'nt like that sickly red weed though. I believe that brought in the cultural border system to civ.

Civ4 would look very good with 3d terrain like SMAC.

Grille
05-06-2003, 20:41
Played both CTP and CTP2. Was only fun in MP IMHO.
The ai was just two dumb, they simply could not invade a continent/island.
I liked the battle concept (with that slavery stuff) and the potentially large
city radius in CTP2. For this reason, I was guessing that border expansions in
civ3 would increase city radius - I mean every time an expansion occurs...
guess about my city placement in my very first civ3 game :lol:
In CTP the space cities were also somewhat boring. IIRC they removed it in CTP2.
Played CTP often via LAN w/ one or two friends. But we modded the game like there
was no tomorrow (removed almost every wonder and that crappy sci-fi unit stuff,
plus making some units like tanks never obsolete).
Some features were buggy. Public works accumulation system didn't work
correct, franchising (good idea) wasn't working as intended, at least there was no
benefit from it.
After all, some very nice ideas and features, but they couldn't make the game working
fine. I remember both CTP1 and SMAC to be published around the same time, and SMAC easily
got on top, for SP & MP games. (I'd even play SMAC if the graphics were worse).
@digger760: sound problems may occur due to direct sound/sound chip problems,
hehe, but I'd even recommend to replace sound chip to get SMAC started.

WildFire
05-06-2003, 20:50
Only played Civ3 and PTW. Bought Civ3 a little over a year ago.